Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bucs picked to finish 4th in SoCon
Bookmark and Share
BartowZone Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Bucs picked to finish 4th in SoCon
http://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/news...son-polls/

Guess the coaches/media aren't as optimistic as we are about the 2015-16 Bucs.

Only 1 Buc on the preseason All-Socon team: A.J. Merriweather
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 12:01 PM by BartowZone.)
10-22-2015 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CaptainJackAubrey Offline
Special Teams

RE: Bucs picked to finish 4th in SoCon
@ETSUHoopsNation tweeted today that 4th is actually higher than he/she thought it would be. I agree.

As much as I love our boys, I would put them 5th or 6th. New coach. 10 new players. CRAPPY season last year.

I think the poll is too high.
10-22-2015 12:26 PM
queenladybug817 Offline
Special Teams

I was slightly disappointed as well. However, let's all look forward to having the chance to be underestimated by the other SoCon teams a little longer.

Maybe if Woffard thinks they'll roll right over us, they'll send less obnoxious fans to Freedom Hall this time.
10-22-2015 12:30 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

It's interesting that the coaches and media are in such agreement here: the picks are identical for 1 through 5 (UTC, Wofford, Mercer, ETSU and Furman), for 7 (Samford), and for 9 and 10 (Citadel and VMI). The only thing that they disagree on is whether Western Carolina or UNCG gets 6 or 8.

There seems to be unanimous feeling that Furman's tournament run to within 3 points of the SoCon championship was a mirage - both polls rate them 5, despite the fact that Furman returns everybody of importance, and all the teams above them have significant losses (#1 seed UTC only loses one, but Ronrico White was by far the best ballhandler on a team with turnover problems. And their coach is gone, too). Only 1 lonely media guy rates them first - an entirely reasonable choice to me. Wonder where he's from? I guess a last-in-conference 5-13 will cut into your respect.

The polls were pretty prescient at the top last year, agreeing that Wofford should be 1st, UTC 2nd, ETSU (pre Giplay's injury) 3rd, and Mercer 4th. http://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/news...ason-team/ Wofford, UTC and Mercer did indeed finish 1-3, while post-Giplaye ETSU slipped from a pre-season 3rd to 5th. But then both UTC and Mercer were knocked off by 5-13 Furman. And Furman came within 3 points and an injury to Kris Acox of beating Wofford and winning it all.

That's all that really matters in a 1 bid league. Getting ready for 4 days in Asheville. Although we'd all like to see a lot more than a big late season run.

Still, early reports from practice are a reminder of how much we have to learn about the Bucs. Will we have .292 three point shooting from the point or .500 shooting? Will we have dominating defensive front court play... or not? And how different will the team look in February from what we see in October and November?

The top teams in the SoCon almost all face bigger changes this year. So the polls may be less reliable. And the ups and downs may be greater as new guys get broken in.

We will be living in interesting times. Installment two plays tonite
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 01:06 PM by swvabucsfan.)
10-22-2015 12:43 PM
queenladybug817 Offline
Special Teams

Interesting that the women are picked 3rd, after Furman, by the coaches. - http://www.etsubucs.com/wbasketball/news...all-socon/

The media placed them at 2nd, behind UTC. Bridges and Tarter were selected for the All Conference team as well. I see the women's team having a bit of adjustment this season after losing the 4 seniors, but hopefully all will start to click by the time conference play starts.
10-22-2015 02:08 PM
Advertisement

swvabucsfan Offline
All American

My brief take on the SoCon ladies:

UTC is chalk: 29-4 and a perfect 14-0 in conference. But they had to go to overtime to beat the Lady Bucs in the tournament. Sorry if you missed it – it was a good antidote to the men’s loss. Unfortunately UTC returns everyone but number 4 scorer Kavonne Townes. And her replacement is probably an upgrade – 2nd team All ASun transfer from Jacksonville, Queen Alford, 5’10” R-Jr. with solid guard skills, 13 ppg and 6 rebounds.

ETSU was a solid second place at 21-12 and 11-3. They lost twice to UTC and split 1-1 with Samford. But they lose their entire front court including such solid players as Destiny Mitchell, Serena Clark, Maria Bonds and Cara Bowling. Fortunately they return their entire guard corp in Tianna Tarter, Shamauria Bridges and Chandler Christopher. Their replacements are largely brand new to us. This team could slip behind Samford. I have no clue how the new front court will be. This is the first year that Britney Ezell will be relying on her own recruits – only Chandler Christopher and Shamauria Bridges remains from the Karen Kemp years. Last year’s team was all Kemp recruits in the important positions, except for local gal Tianna Tarter.

Mercer had a pretty good team going 20-15 and 9-5. But they lost twice to ETSU and lose even more than the Lady Bucs: 4 of their top 5 players. They could drop below .500.

Samford, was middle of the road, but tough to beat in conference, 15-15 and 8-6. They also were the only team besides UTC to beat ETSU, splitting the season series 1-1. And they bring everyone back. They should probably be rated ahead of us.. for now.

Furman, middle of the road at 19-14 and 7-7, loses their number 2 and number 4 scorers, who were also their top 2 rebounders. I see no reason to rate them ahead of ETSU.

Wofford at 8-22, 3-11; Western Carolina at 11-19 and 3-11 and UNCG at 6-25 and 1-13, were truly awful and don’t seem to be much improved.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 02:48 PM by swvabucsfan.)
10-22-2015 02:48 PM
Just Buc Offline
2nd String

With all due respect to AJ, it shows how little thought went into these polls when he's not even the best player on his own team but is selected as all-conference in a league loaded with good guards.
10-25-2015 06:37 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

(10-25-2015 06:37 AM)Just Buc Wrote:  With all due respect to AJ, it shows how little thought went into these polls when he's not even the best player on his own team but is selected as all-conference in a league loaded with good guards.

I believe it is too soon to tell whether AJ is the best player on the team or not. I am excited to see these new players, but the jury is still out on each of them.
10-25-2015 06:56 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2015 06:37 AM)Just Buc Wrote:  With all due respect to AJ, it shows how little thought went into these polls when he's not even the best player on his own team but is selected as all-conference in a league loaded with good guards.

As with the preseason team polls, it's (to some extent) based on last year's performance. AJ was one of the best player's on last year's squad. In fairness to those voting, they have much less data on the other guards.
10-25-2015 08:07 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

I know you're new to ETSU ball. Keep in mind (bucfaithful mentioned) we have zero data on TEN new guys. Preseason numbers are based on last season. AJ may be the best defender in the SoCon and his ESPN top 10 doesn't hurt.
10-25-2015 08:11 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

None of the people voting have seen those guys play. Think about that before you say stupid stuff.
10-25-2015 09:00 AM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It's going to be fun watching these guys this year while knowing how loaded the team will be next year. I only wished they replaced seats in the Hall before the season started, though we may have reason to stand more with the new regime.
10-25-2015 10:26 AM
Special Teams

(10-25-2015 10:26 AM)squeak Wrote:  It's going to be fun watching these guys this year while knowing how loaded the team will be next year. I only wished they replaced seats in the Hall before the season started, though we may have reason to stand more with the new regime.

I will GLADLY sit on a milk crate to watch this squad.

EIGHT MONTHS ago we were watching Bartow sitting on the sideline looking petulant. Today we have Lufile, Bello, Guyn, Forbes, Penny, Shay, Savage, Cromer, Brown ,Holley, Stetson, Glass, Perea, Shemar, Stokes, the returning studs AJ, Ike, Desonta, Lester, and Peter...plus the recruits are already in line.

To hell with where I sit.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 11:28 AM by CaptainJackAubrey.)
10-25-2015 11:27 AM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Kinda wanted the new seats for the feel of new arena. Sitting on a ''milk crate'' eh? I prefer something softer.
10-25-2015 12:14 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(10-25-2015 12:14 PM)squeak Wrote:  Kinda wanted the new seats for the feel of new arena. Sitting on a ''milk crate'' eh? I prefer something softer.
And wider for a big, burly guy like me (I'm not fat, I'm just genetically a big dude. xD
10-25-2015 05:19 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Not to further derail the conversation but I want to stand the whole game this season. However, I don't want o be rude to those around me and some legitimately can't stand up. Others act as if they're at a Quaker meeting.
10-25-2015 06:07 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
I saw at a high school game one time (cant't remember where), but the students had "Sorry, I stand the entire game." silk screened on the upper back of their T-shirts. Always thought that was pretty cool.
10-25-2015 06:37 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-25-2015 06:07 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Not to further derail the conversation but I want to stand the whole game this season. However, I don't want o be rude to those around me and some legitimately can't stand up. Others act as if they're at a Quaker meeting.

Would love to stand the whole game and once did. I'm no spring chicken, but I'll be there. I still yell and clap.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 05:56 PM by squeak.)
10-25-2015 07:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.