Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC/Big 12 semi-merger
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
SEC/Big 12 semi-merger
So it's been a while since I proposed one of my more outlandish solutions to the problem we have at hand. I used to bat this around on Mr. SEC's website and we had some good discussions on it. I figured tonight is as good a night as any.

If indeed it takes 8 teams voting to dissolve the Big 12 in order to effectively get rid of the Grant of Rights then I say the SEC should find the most palatable 8 schools to take and pull the trigger.

ESPN may not really want that, but in the end they'll be happy with securing the additional content and all the additional subscriptions to the SEC Network.

Let me explain further...

1) I'm working off the assumption that politicos within certain states are going to make things hard for certain schools to move. It will behoove any league to consider how many of these little brothers are profitable before moving in on big brother.

2) I have no idea whether the GOR has any real teeth or not. I'm by no means an expert on the topic and there are varying opinions on the internet about it. It seems like the easiest way to deal with it is make sure it's not a problem.

3) Why move now instead of 8-10 years from now when the GOR expires? There is revenue to be made between now and then for one. Secondly, college football needs to heal and get used to a new normal. Better to rip the band-aid off instead of pulling it slowly every few years for the next few decades. Third, if we're heading for 3 or 4 leagues then the SEC might as well set the precedent and the framework.

4) The Big 12 will either die or be a shell of its former self if allowed to operate from its current position of weakness for the foreseeable future. College athletics will be better off if we cooperate now on a grander framework rather than allowing it to happen piecemeal.

5) Consolidating conferences and markets under one umbrella will lead to greater bargaining power with networks which will lead to greater paydays.

So here we go...

Texas and Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia. Take all the markets, all the public school little brothers and be done with it.

2nd phase: Add Cincinnati and Colorado State. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the SEC would be quite so Southeastern anymore, but I'm working off the assumption that the ACC is off limits permanently. There are only 2 directions to go for quality candidates...North and West.

Alignments:

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State

Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State

East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Cincinnati

The winners of each division advance to conference semi-final along with a wildcard.

11 conference games: 7 games against division opponents, 1 permanent cross division rival from each of the other division, rotate one opponent from each of the other divisions annually.

You can play everyone in the league at least once every 5 years. You can maintain most rivalries and restore some old ones.

You will engage more fans with better competition and coax more money out of the networks because of significantly more inventory. This format would produce 264 football games under the SEC umbrella. Currently, that number is at 112.

Any thoughts?
10-16-2015 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: SEC/Big 12 semi-merger
(10-16-2015 11:08 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So it's been a while since I proposed one of my more outlandish solutions to the problem we have at hand. I used to bat this around on Mr. SEC's website and we had some good discussions on it. I figured tonight is as good a night as any.

If indeed it takes 8 teams voting to dissolve the Big 12 in order to effectively get rid of the Grant of Rights then I say the SEC should find the most palatable 8 schools to take and pull the trigger.

ESPN may not really want that, but in the end they'll be happy with securing the additional content and all the additional subscriptions to the SEC Network.

1) I'm working off the assumption that politicos within certain states are going to make things hard for certain schools to move. It will behoove any league to consider how many of these little brothers are profitable before moving in on big brother.

2) I have no idea whether the GOR has any real teeth or not. I'm by no means an expert on the topic and there are varying opinions on the internet about it. It seems like the easiest way to deal with it is make sure it's not a problem.

3) Why move now instead of 8-10 years from now when the GOR expires? There is revenue to be made between now and then for one. Secondly, college football needs to heal and get used to a new normal. Better to rip the band-aid off instead of pulling it slowly every few years for the next few decades. Third, if we're heading for 3 or 4 leagues then the SEC might as well set the precedent and the framework.

4) The Big 12 will either die or be a shell of its former self if allowed to operate from its current position of weakness for the foreseeable future. College athletics will be better off if we cooperate now on a grander framework rather than allowing it to happen piecemeal.

5) Consolidating conferences and markets under one umbrella will lead to greater bargaining power with networks which will lead to greater paydays.

So here we go...

Texas and Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia. Take all the markets, all the public school little brothers and be done with it.

2nd phase: Add Cincinnati and Colorado State. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the SEC would be quite so Southeastern anymore, but I'm working off the assumption that the ACC is off limits permanently. There are only 2 directions to go for quality candidates...North and West.

Alignments:

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State

Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State

East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Cincinnati

The winners of each division advance to conference semi-final along with a wildcard.

11 conference games: 7 games against division opponents, 1 permanent cross division rival from each of the other division, rotate one opponent from each of the other divisions annually.

You can play everyone in the league at least once every 5 years. You can maintain most rivalries and restore some old ones.

You will engage more fans with better competition and coax more money out of the networks because of significantly more inventory. This format would produce 264 football games under the SEC umbrella. Currently, that number is at 112.

Any thoughts?

In phase one you add 4 states with 8 schools for a total of 11.7 million more people in the tv viewing area. Cincinnati's state of Ohio adds 11.5 million by itself. That's overkill and would ruin the conference. The SEC will wait for a school to come along that they can't pass up, add them and then round off with the most valuable school they can bring in.

As far as the GOR goes, yes it can be broken by having 75% of its members voting to dissolve, but if those members turn around and all join the same conference, you can be sure lawsuits will be flying from the left out members trying to recoup lost earnings they were expecting to receive. The adding one school and then slightly waiting method is the best way to prevent getting sued by ensure tortous interference doesn't become the basis of suit.
10-16-2015 11:51 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2015 11:51 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(10-16-2015 11:08 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So it's been a while since I proposed one of my more outlandish solutions to the problem we have at hand. I used to bat this around on Mr. SEC's website and we had some good discussions on it. I figured tonight is as good a night as any.

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?

In phase one you add 4 states with 8 schools for a total of 11.7 million more people in the tv viewing area. Cincinnati's state of Ohio adds 11.5 million by itself. That's overkill and would ruin the conference. The SEC will wait for a school to come along that they can't pass up, add them and then round off with the most valuable school they can bring in.

As far as the GOR goes, yes it can be broken by having 75% of its members voting to dissolve, but if those members turn around and all join the same conference, you can be sure lawsuits will be flying from the left out members trying to recoup lost earnings they were expecting to receive. The adding one school and then slightly waiting method is the best way to prevent getting sued by ensure tortous interference doesn't become the basis of suit.

I think you are more likely correct on the SEC taking 2 teams and being done. My concern is that 2 wouldn't be enough to make it work with a Grant of Rights in place...especially if the Big 12 votes to expand which some think they will.

I disagree though that a vote to dissolve the league would result in a tortious interference lawsuit. Baylor wanted to sue when A&M left the Big 12, but it didn't go anywhere. I think the result would be the same for any schools left out. If the league is dissolved then the GOR will have no standing and whatever claim to revenue those left behind would have had would go with it.
10-17-2015 10:37 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-17-2015 10:37 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?

I think you are more likely correct on the SEC taking 2 teams and being done. My concern is that 2 wouldn't be enough to make it work with a Grant of Rights in place...especially if the Big 12 votes to expand which some think they will.

I disagree though that a vote to dissolve the league would result in a tortious interference lawsuit. Baylor wanted to sue when A&M left the Big 12, but it didn't go anywhere. I think the result would be the same for any schools left out. If the league is dissolved then the GOR will have no standing and whatever claim to revenue those left behind would have had would go with it.

Well what I'm about to say is not necessarily the legal reality but it is nonetheless the eventual reality of taking two schools. If Texas and Oklahoma both leave the Big 12 whether jointly or severely the result will be the dissolution of that conference. Texas State legislators would prevent Tech from filing suit against the State's flagship school and I bet their influence would even muzzle T.C.U. and Baylor. Oklahoma State and Kansas State would face similar issues. Only Iowa State and WVU would be free to sue and they aren't enough.

The reality is that no school wants to irritate its state, have conflicting interest with major donors who support both state schools and in most cases most privates, and create a division of ranks within the varying constituencies. It's bad for business and donations. They know that reluctantly they would need to suck it up and continue on as best they can.

That said not creating waves is a two sided sword that has heretofore held Texas and Oklahoma in place.
10-18-2015 12:19 PM
BaylorFerg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Baylor
(10-18-2015 12:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?

Well what I'm about to say is not necessarily the legal reality but it is nonetheless the eventual reality of taking two schools. If Texas and Oklahoma both leave the Big 12 whether jointly or severely the result will be the dissolution of that conference. Texas State legislators would prevent Tech from filing suit against the State's flagship school and I bet their influence would even muzzle T.C.U. and Baylor. Oklahoma State and Kansas State would face similar issues. Only Iowa State and WVU would be free to sue and they aren't enough.

The reality is that no school wants to irritate its state, have conflicting interest with major donors who support both state schools and in most cases most privates, and create a division of ranks within the varying constituencies. It's bad for business and donations. They know that reluctantly they would need to suck it up and continue on as best they can.

That said not creating waves is a two sided sword that has heretofore held Texas and Oklahoma in place.

You would lose that bet. Baylor isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and the two most influential and powerful lobbyist in the state for the past decade plus are Buddy Jones and Mike Toomey, both are Baylor grads. Baylor lead the charge the last time it looked like schools were going to get left out. You don't think they would do it again if they were going to be left out?

Your second paragraph is exactly why Texas and OU are staying in the Big 12.
10-19-2015 01:01 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-19-2015 01:01 PM)BaylorFerg Wrote:  

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?

You would lose that bet. Baylor isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and the two most influential and powerful lobbyist in the state for the past decade plus are Buddy Jones and Mike Toomey, both are Baylor grads. Baylor lead the charge the last time it looked like schools were going to get left out. You don't think they would do it again if they were going to be left out?

We'll see. If the Big 12 adds two then you are right. If they don't, it's because Texas and OU have other options that they are weighing or waiting for the right moment to take.
10-19-2015 04:59 PM
BaylorFerg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Baylor
(10-19-2015 04:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-16-2015 11:51 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  In phase one you add 4 states with 8 schools for a total of 11.7 million more people in the tv viewing area. Cincinnati's state of Ohio adds 11.5 million by itself. That's overkill and would ruin the conference. The SEC will wait for a school to come along that they can't pass up, add them and then round off with the most valuable school they can bring in.

We'll see. If the Big 12 adds two then you are right. If they don't, it's because Texas and OU have other options that they are weighing or waiting for the right moment to take.

I'm not saying they will add more schools. They very well could be brokering deals for at least 8 to leave to other conferences to disband the whole thing. I just don't think there is a scenario that works for UT and OU to be the only ones to leave without setting off a massive 01-rivals storm.
10-19-2015 06:05 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-16-2015 11:51 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  In phase one you add 4 states with 8 schools for a total of 11.7 million more people in the tv viewing area. Cincinnati's state of Ohio adds 11.5 million by itself. That's overkill and would ruin the conference. The SEC will wait for a school to come along that they can't pass up, add them and then round off with the most valuable school they can bring in.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/25797...-in-danger

Might not even need to expand. Boren wants two things; 1) clear path to playoffs and 2) a conference network. So even if the B12 added new members, Boren will still want that conference network taken care of or they could bolt. TIFWIW, the poster over at landthieves, Redhawk, tweeted today about how his "contact at OU wasn't concerned at all by the GORs." If true, then having to wait until 2025 for the B12 GOR and TV deals to expire would seem less binding.
10-19-2015 06:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-19-2015 06:18 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(10-17-2015 10:37 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I think you are more likely correct on the SEC taking 2 teams and being done. My concern is that 2 wouldn't be enough to make it work with a Grant of Rights in place...especially if the Big 12 votes to expand which some think they will.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/25797...-in-danger

Might not even need to expand. Boren wants two things; 1) clear path to playoffs and 2) a conference network. So even if the B12 added new members, Boren will still want that conference network taken care of or they could bolt. TIFWIW, the poster over at landthieves, Redhawk, tweeted today about how his "contact at OU wasn't concerned at all by the GORs." If true, then having to wait until 2025 for the B12 GOR and TV deals to expire would seem less binding.

I'm familiar with Redhawk's views and he has some good info and some not so good info. Where the GORs are concerned it is more of the latter than the former, IMO. BaylorFerg is probably right about them still trying to broker 8 schools. That said what people forget is that right now as far as just the TV contract goes (no Tier 3 involved) the money is about 26 million a year for the Big 12. Should OU and Texas both leave and go to either the SEC or Big 10 the conference payouts for either would jump to 50 million plus or minus 2 million. They could leave their money behind and play more fetching competition for essentially the same money.

It will be interesting to see what their workaround turns out to be.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015 08:52 PM by JRsec.)
10-19-2015 08:51 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?
Can we play 11 conference games Jr? They are fighting adding even one now. You have the 3 divisions paired nicely. The old rivalries would be great for the conference. ESPN owns the LHN, so that should not be a problem with integration. Let Texas prove they want to be conference mates instead of the boss. They can do this by integrating the LHN into the SECN. No "special" schools in the SEC. They make the same revenue as Vandy.
10-20-2015 12:47 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-20-2015 12:47 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

So here we go...

Alignments:

Any thoughts?
Can we play 11 conference games Jr? They are fighting adding even one now. You have the 3 divisions paired nicely. The old rivalries would be great for the conference. ESPN owns the LHN, so that should not be a problem with integration. Let Texas prove they want to be conference mates instead of the boss. They can do this by integrating the LHN into the SECN. No "special" schools in the SEC. They make the same revenue as Vandy.

We could with some major caveats:

1. Conference champs only in playoff with only 4 Power Conferences in existence.
2. It jacks content value for the conference out of sight so the Networks would have to want each conference to play only within their region to heighten anticipation for the playoff. Sometimes these OOC games screw up the post season when the schools advancing have already played.
3. Expansion would have to include in state rivals.

So what I really think will happen is 9 conference games and 1 game against each of the other 3 power conferences to create an all P4 12 game schedule. But that is many contract negotiations away from even being considered. We sell one chip at a time for a raise. It's not going to happen all at once.
10-20-2015 05:27 PM
PIR8EMT Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU

So here we go...

2nd phase: Add Cincinnati and East Carolina. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the SEC would be quite so Southeastern anymore, but I'm working off the assumption that the ACC is off limits permanently. There are only 2 directions to go for quality candidates...North and West.

Alignments:

Any thoughts?

Fixed it for you, to, ya know... stay somewhat Southern!
10-24-2015 02:27 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2015 02:27 AM)PIR8EMT Wrote:  
(10-16-2015 11:08 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  So here we go...

2nd phase: Add Cincinnati and East Carolina. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the SEC would be quite so Southeastern anymore, but I'm working off the assumption that the ACC is off limits permanently. There are only 2 directions to go for quality candidates...North and West.

Fixed it for you, to, ya know... stay somewhat Southern!

Thank you. 04-cheers

I really wouldn't mind ECU. I'm just concerned they couldn't carry the state with 4 other programs competing for space.

That and they aren't much of a national draw.
10-24-2015 11:43 AM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 11:43 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Thank you. 04-cheers

I really wouldn't mind ECU. I'm just concerned they couldn't carry the state with 4 other programs competing for space.

That and they aren't much of a national draw.

As far as value to the SEC goes in the state of North Carolina, I would rate UNC>NCState>Duke>ECU. Duke wouldn't be a bad program to add as they are a basketball blue blood and can be competitive in football if the emphasized it again like they did in the past.
10-24-2015 06:54 PM
PIR8EMT Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
But more than likely you guys can forget any ACC team unless something drastic happens. While ECU may not be a national draw in reality neither are the 3 listed above unless we're talking hoops... I promise you ECU as a SEC member would quickly eclipse any North Carolina ACC team in short order.
10-24-2015 11:25 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(10-24-2015 11:25 PM)PIR8EMT Wrote:  But more than likely you guys can forget any ACC team unless something drastic happens. While ECU may not be a national draw in reality neither are the 3 listed above unless we're talking hoops... I promise you ECU as a SEC member would quickly eclipse any North Carolina ACC team in short order.

I agree with you. But it ain't my decision.
10-26-2015 09:41 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

How about a different type of merger. One that would make the conference turn from regional to national. Big Ten and the PAC. 24 teams, four time zones, 57.8M more people for the BTN to charge more to.
10-26-2015 09:20 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(10-26-2015 09:20 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  How about a different type of merger. One that would make the conference turn from regional to national. Big Ten and the PAC. 24 teams, four time zones, 57.8M more people for the BTN to charge more to.

Add the SEC, Big 12, ACC, and a little AAC....and you have 68 teams in 5 divisions, from coast-to-coast:

WEST DIVISION
NORTH: Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU
SOUTH: USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado

CENTRAL DIVISION
WEST: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa St., Houston
EAST: TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma St., Kansas St., West Virginia, Memphis

BIG NORTH DIVISION
WEST: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue
EAST: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana

SOUTHEAST DIVISION
WEST: LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn
EAST: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

ATLANTIC DIVISION
ATLANTIC: FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Boston College, NC State, Wake, Syracuse, Navy
COASTAL: Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Miami, Pitt, Notre Dame

10-game conference schedule, including 5-6 v. group and 2-3 cross-division (with some locked rival games), and 2-3 inter-division; play 1-2 other pay-day home games.

The conference championship tournament includes:

-Round 1 Division Championships between Group leaders, the first weekend in December.

-Round 2 is held the second weekend in December and features the 5 Division Champs and 3 Wild Card teams picked and seeded by a Selection Committee.

-Round 3 is held December 31 or January 1 at neutral sites rotating among Pasadena, New Orleans, Miami, Arlington, Atlanta, and Tempe.

-The conference championship game is held the first Monday that is a full week after January 1 at a neutral-site, based on the highest bidder.
10-27-2015 02:58 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(10-26-2015 09:20 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  How about a different type of merger. One that would make the conference turn from regional to national. Big Ten and the PAC. 24 teams, four time zones, 57.8M more people for the BTN to charge more to.

Would be interesting, but I don't see it because of geography.
10-28-2015 12:35 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I really wish the SEC could absorb a few key properties from both the Big 12 and the ACC.

Texas, OU, OSU, KU, and WVU from the Big 12

FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville, UNC, NC State, UVA, VT, Pitt

West: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas
Central: LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
North: Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina
East: Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, North Carolina State

Play 6 division games, 3 permanent rivals from any division, and rotate 3 games between the remaining teams.

Play conference semi-finals to determine champion.
10-28-2015 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.