Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Convo Seating for Students!
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
New Convo Seating for Students!
It is about time! Today's DNR

JMU’s athletic department confirmed Thursday that lowerbowl Section 105 at the Convo has been converted into student seating for the 2015-16 season.

About 250 students can occupy the section, which is positioned directly across from the visiting team’s bench and adjacent to JMU’s pep band.

The move is being made, Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne said, to improve “the energy and excitement within the crowd” and overall attendance.

And in an effort to drum up support to fill those seats, Brady said he’s been taking his team around campus for the first time in his eight-year tenure to hold meet-and-greet sessions with students at their dormitories.

“It’s a selfish agenda, and I admit that freely,” Brady said. “But I think this is for everybody. Given the opportunity to get the students in the lower bowl, now that we have that lower section, we’re going to work really hard to create that atmosphere everybody wants. But now I think it’s possible.”

There are six large lower-bowl seating areas at the Convocation Center, and in Bourne’s 16 years at the school, none of those sections have been available for student seating until now.

Bourne said JMU had previously been reluctant to designate any of those areas for students because that meant having to displace a “fair amount” of longtime season-ticket holders. So over the years, the vast majority of JMU’s students have watched games from the Convo’s second- level bleachers. Smaller lower- level sections 104 and 108 have also been available for students, along with about 50 standing- room spots behind the baskets.

That configuration, Brady said, hurt Madison’s home atmosphere.

“We banished these students to the upper deck and a lot of those kids would leave at halftime,” Brady said. “I think now we have a vehicle to keep these kids engaged.”

Last season, Madison – with an enrollment of roughly 20,000 – drew an average of 588 students per home game while classes were in session. That number was inflated by the 1,966 students who were in attendance for JMU’s season-opening loss to the University of Virginia, which drew the Convocation Center’s first sellout in nearly 20 years.

The second-best turnout – 713 students – came in Madison’s home finale against Hofstra.

Overall, JMU drew 3,416 spectators per game at its 6,426-seat arena in 2014-15, the second-best average in the Colonial Athletic Association. North Carolina-Wilmington led the league with 3,955. Those numbers remain a far cry from the heyday of the Electric Zoo, when legendary coach Lefty Driesell’s presence at JMU helped pack in a programhigh 6,802 fans per game at the Convo during the 1989-90 season.

“I think a lot of people in this community yearn for the Electric Zoo, but what I think people don’t remember clearly is that the students were intimately involved in the Electric Zoo,” Brady said. “And the fact now that we have some students in the lower bowl is going to help us develop that atmosphere.”

By placing students closer to the floor, Bourne said the hope is more will choose to come out for games. The season-ticket holders affected by the move have been given new seats at different areas throughout the Convo’s lower bowl, Bourne said. Nine of JMU’s 18 home games are scheduled when students are on breaks from classes, and Madison sports information director Kevin Warner said sections 104 and 105 will be open for general seating on those dates.

JMU junior forward Yohanny Dalembert said he considers Northeastern’s Matthews Arena, in spite of its Colonial- worst 1,254-spectator attendance average last season, to be the CAA’s toughest road venue.

Why? Because the Huskies’ students are seated as close as can be to the floor, making for an unpleasant experience for opposing teams.

“When they cram the Convo,” Dalembert said of JMU’s students, “we play with more energy.”

Senior guard Ron Curry and junior forward Dimitrije Cabarkapa are the lone remaining members of Madison’s 2013 NCAA Tournament team. The Dukes clinched that bid by beating Northeastern for the CAA title in front of a pro- Madison crowd at Richmond Coliseum.

Cabarkapa, a redshirt player that season, remembers that day well – and the role JMU’s fans played in the victory.

“There were thousands of people, JMU people, purple people in Richmond, and I bet that that was one of the significant factors that helped us win that final game,” Cabarkapa said. “So the crowd is always important, and I’m glad to see the students at basketball games.”

Bourne said this season’s seating reconfiguration – which is limited to JMU’s men’s basketball games – is a “trial run.” The Convo’s seating arrangement is adjusted every four years, mostly so Duke Club members who have made significant donations can get a shot at securing better seats. Bourne said part of the timing behind this season’s change is to gauge student interest to help with the seating design of the proposed new 8,500-seat Convocation Center.

“ We have the flexibility of adding to this,” Bourne said. “If it becomes an issue where there’s strong student demand, we’re certainly open-minded and looking at the opportunity to make more opportunities available to students. We certainly need them, and we want them to be able to enjoy that experience while we’re here.”
10-16-2015 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

RE: New Convo Seating for Students!
About time, but kudos for following through. This was something I had discussed before with those in Athletics, but glad to see it's following through.

Kudos Athletics
10-16-2015 08:35 AM
Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

This is great news. I think that this will bring more energy to the MBB team. Maybe I missed it in the article, but will a similar seating plan be in place for WBB?
10-16-2015 08:42 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

Article said this will be for only Men's basketball for this year.
10-16-2015 08:50 AM
Advertisement

PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Great news! Well done JB!
10-16-2015 08:52 AM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(10-16-2015 08:50 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  Article said this will be for only Men's basketball for this year.

I assume because that section is general admission for women's so students can already sit there.
10-16-2015 09:03 AM
Dukester Offline

When I was at JMU they used to have the big section across from our bench open to the students, but for some reason they preferred the upper bleachers...
10-16-2015 09:13 AM
Advertisement

capn kitt Offline
2nd String

"About time" seems to be the prevailing reaction. I would imagine that a lower # of season ticket holders has made this less painful (i.e. fewer people to move). There are a lot of sad #'s in that article wrt attendance, but as a "Lefty's-early-years" guy I long for the return of that kind of energy. If you've played sports of any kind you know the truth of the b-ball players' statements. I played (still play) tennis, and we never played in front of anybody, but even the dozen or so friends that would turn out for important matches made a huge difference!
10-16-2015 09:25 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
(10-16-2015 09:25 AM)capn kitt Wrote:  "About time" seems to be the prevailing reaction. I would imagine that a lower # of season ticket holders has made this less painful (i.e. fewer people to move). There are a lot of sad #'s in that article wrt attendance, but as a "Lefty's-early-years" guy I long for the return of that kind of energy. If you've played sports of any kind you know the truth of the b-ball players' statements. I played (still play) tennis, and we never played in front of anybody, but even the dozen or so friends that would turn out for important matches made a huge difference!

Agree with you, but lower season tickets or not, I'm glad the students are getting a little something extra out of the athletic fees embedded in tuition.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2015 09:38 AM by JMU_Newbill.)
10-16-2015 09:38 AM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Great news, now please fix the 3 risers 50 feet off the court in the end zone. JMU used to be a tough place to play when the students were close to the court there as well.
10-16-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Welllll, howdy-do!

The article mentions the sellout years of 89-90, we were squawking for students to be on the floor back then.

Glad they finally made this happen!

Just in time for my own kids to enjoy it...
10-16-2015 12:37 PM
Dukester Offline

(10-16-2015 10:40 AM)UofRfan Wrote:  Great news, now please fix the 3 risers 50 feet off the court in the end zone. JMU used to be a tough place to play when the students were close to the court there as well.

Amen brother
10-16-2015 12:41 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(10-16-2015 10:40 AM)UofRfan Wrote:  Great news, now please fix the 3 risers 50 feet off the court in the end zone. JMU used to be a tough place to play when the students were close to the court there as well.

This! They "broke" the atmosphere when they pushed students away from the hoops. Bring those bleachers back and offer students some door prizes like free/discounted pizza, tshirts, etc and there is hope for a real home court. What Duke does for basketball should be the model. Make the students excited to go and more paying fans will want to be there also.
10-17-2015 10:02 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2015 10:02 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

This! They "broke" the atmosphere when they pushed students away from the hoops. Bring those bleachers back and offer students some door prizes like free/discounted pizza, tshirts, etc and there is hope for a real home court. What Duke does for basketball should be the model. Make the students excited to go and more paying fans will want to be there also.

Absolutely.
10-18-2015 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.