Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Literally the greatest fan of all time resides in Greenville (inspirational read)
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
OT: Literally the greatest fan of all time resides in Greenville (inspirational read)
This guy has been a fixture in Greenville, walking the streets since before my dad went to JH Rose High School. No one really knows what his 'condition' is but if he meets you once he'll never forget your name.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/14/95056...n-that-way

Even though he can't drive and often has to walk, the only time he's ever missed a home or away football, basketball, or baseball game in nearly the last 50 years is when one conflicted the other and once when he got his schedule mixed up back in '72 and missed the team bus. "That broke his heart. Now he gets to the school an hour early, minimum, just in case."

He's known as 'The Legend' and he's now an icon who has streets and buildings named after him. It's a long article but if you read it you will be thankful you did.

“MARVIN, HONESTLY, TRULY, NEVER LIES.”

“HE’S GOING TO STICK WITH YOU THICK OR THIN, WIN, LOSE OR DRAW … KIDS WANT TO PLAY WELL FOR MARVIN.”

“HE’S LIKE RAIN MAN, EXCEPT NOT WITH NUMBERS, BUT WITH PEOPLE.”

“IF ONE DAY [MARVIN] DIDN’T SHOW UP, THESE KIDS WOULD PROBABLY LOSE THEIR DAMN MINDS.”
10-16-2015 06:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: OT: Literally the greatest fan of all time resides in Greenville (inspirational read)
Not from ENC but man is the rivalry between Rose and Conley really this bitter?

Quote:When one of the Rose coaches recently went to the grocery store, his cashier, a Conley football mom, cussed him out. Another Rose coach, who lives on the Conley side of town, makes sure to run his errands elsewhere.

Quote:Rose students come dressed as rednecks to mock Conley, wearing hunting fatigues and overalls and straw hats and, in the case of one unfortunate young man, Daisy Dukes. Many Conley students wear all white, though they have, in the past, dressed as gangsters, mocking Rose’s more urban student body.

One Rose fan screams, “I’ve waited my whole life for this!”

Seems a little over the top to me for HS.
10-16-2015 07:51 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: OT: Literally the greatest fan of all time resides in Greenville (inspirational read)
(10-16-2015 07:51 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Not from ENC but man is the rivalry between Rose and Conley really this bitter?

Quote:When one of the Rose coaches recently went to the grocery store, his cashier, a Conley football mom, cussed him out. Another Rose coach, who lives on the Conley side of town, makes sure to run his errands elsewhere.

Quote:Rose students come dressed as rednecks to mock Conley, wearing hunting fatigues and overalls and straw hats and, in the case of one unfortunate young man, Daisy Dukes. Many Conley students wear all white, though they have, in the past, dressed as gangsters, mocking Rose’s more urban student body.

It has become that way in recent years. There have been students 'recruited' to move from Rose ad N. Pitt to Conley districts to play for Conley. Coaches have been suspended/fired. Students have brawled, shots have even been fired towards Conley by Rose students.

Accusations of racism and inappropriate motivational material posted by both sides, one resulting in the suspension of a JH Rose coach.

Mostly it's an urban/country kinda thing that has gotten a little out of hand lately. Makes for great football and basketball though.
10-16-2015 08:38 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

(10-16-2015 07:51 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Not from ENC but man is the rivalry between Rose and Conley really this bitter?

Until recently Rose was the only HS in Greenville city limits. Conley is for the kids that live out in the 'country' so to speak. You wouldn't think that there would be such a dramatic cultural distinction between 2 schools in the same county in rural eastern NC but there truly is. Many of the kids in Greenville have parents that are professors at ECU or moved to town from other areas of the country. Also, Greenville has more black kids than out in the country. I feel like there's almost an even distribution of whites and blacks at Rose. We used to look at Conley kids as 'rednecks' and more 'backwards' than us. We used to have to fight those boys a bit but I was friends with quite few as well & the Conley girls were a bit easier to get up with. Just typical HS stuff I guess but all of those factors help fuel the 'rivalry' if you will.
10-16-2015 08:45 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

10-16-2015 08:49 AM
Advertisement

Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
10-16-2015 09:40 AM
piratefan1975 Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
I grew up in Greenville and went to Conley. Culturally, we disliked Rose High, but when I was there, we weren't in the same conference. Conley was 3-A and Rose was 4-A. We very seldom played.

Marvin is The Man. He's a celebrity in Greenville. This story is spot on. What's just as inspiring is his friendship with Ronald Vincent, or "RV." Those two are ALWAYS together.

My family has been there for generations. My father, who is around Marvin's age, was a good basketball player and even played a little in college. I'd always tell Marvin who I was and he'd say, "I know you...Glenn's boy." He'd then say, Glenn was a good player; good player. Every now and then, I'd get him to tell me some memories from his playing days. Marvin is a man of little words, though. Great read!
10-16-2015 09:50 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(10-16-2015 06:57 AM)B easy Wrote:  This guy has been a fixture in Greenville, walking the streets since before my dad went to JH Rose High School. No one really knows what his 'condition' is but if he meets you once he'll never forget your name.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/14/95056...n-that-way

Even though he can't drive and often has to walk, the only time he's ever missed a home or away football, basketball, or baseball game in nearly the last 50 years is when one conflicted the other and once when he got his schedule mixed up back in '72 and missed the team bus. "That broke his heart. Now he gets to the school an hour early, minimum, just in case."

He's known as 'The Legend' and he's now an icon who has streets and buildings named after him. It's a long article but if you read it you will be thankful you did.

“MARVIN, HONESTLY, TRULY, NEVER LIES.”

“HE’S GOING TO STICK WITH YOU THICK OR THIN, WIN, LOSE OR DRAW … KIDS WANT TO PLAY WELL FOR MARVIN.”

“HE’S LIKE RAIN MAN, EXCEPT NOT WITH NUMBERS, BUT WITH PEOPLE.”

“IF ONE DAY [MARVIN] DIDN’T SHOW UP, THESE KIDS WOULD PROBABLY LOSE THEIR DAMN MINDS.”

Wow; thanks for sharing. Wish I would have known about this man before my two trips to see games in Greenville.
10-16-2015 12:09 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(10-16-2015 08:45 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

Until recently Rose was the only HS in Greenville city limits. Conley is for the kids that live out in the 'country' so to speak. You wouldn't think that there would be such a dramatic cultural distinction between 2 schools in the same county in rural eastern NC but there truly is. Many of the kids in Greenville have parents that are professors at ECU or moved to town from other areas of the country. Also, Greenville has more black kids than out in the country. I feel like there's almost an even distribution of whites and blacks at Rose. We used to look at Conley kids as 'rednecks' and more 'backwards' than us. We used to have to fight those boys a bit but I was friends with quite few as well & the Conley girls were a bit easier to get up with. Just typical HS stuff I guess but all of those factors help fuel the 'rivalry' if you will.

What you saying - country girls shake it for me.
10-16-2015 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.