WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Benton Harbor beats Lakeshore
bronco89 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Benton Harbor beats Lakeshore
Huge win. Happy to see my old college coach making such a positive impact late in life!

BENTON HARBOR - Mike Jones lined up for a field goal at Filstrup Field on Friday with the game on the line. It wasn't a long kick - 22 yards - but there was a lot riding on it.
Benton Harbor had just held Lakeshore scoreless on its first overtime possession. On fourth down, the Tigers put their trust in their kicker.
Jones' kick looked good the moment he hit it and it sailed through the uprights, giving Benton Harbor a 10-7 win, its first over Lakeshore since 1984.
"It felt great," Jones said of the kick. "I saw, as soon as I kicked it, it was through."
Jones took off running to midfield, where he was mobbed by his teammates.
"I broke down into tears," he said.
Benton Harbor (2-2 SMAC West, 4-3) had lost 14 straight against Lakeshore (2-2, 4-3). The Tigers hadn't even come close recently. Lakeshore had won by 30 or more every year since 2006.
Benton Harbor last beat Lakeshore during the season finale in 1984. The two schools did not play between 1985 and 2000.
Maybe more importantly, it keeps Benton Harbor's playoff hopes alive. One more win - over Kalamazoo Central or Portage Northern - and the Tigers are playoff eligible.
Benton Harbor has never made the playoffs since the postseason began in Michigan in 1975.
Jones wasn't the only Tiger with tears in his eyes afterward.
"I'm an emotional wreck right now," Benton Harbor coach Elliot Uzelac said. "This is a great, great win."
For the 74-year-old coach in his first year resurrecting a program that had won four games in the previous eight years, words were difficult to find.
"That win," Uzelac sputtered. "That win ...
"I've seen Benton Harbor play for a lot of years, and I don't think there's ever been a team that played harder and better than Benton Harbor did tonight. And we had to, to beat an excellent Lakeshore team."
After a scoreless first quarter, Lakeshore forced a fumble from Benton Harbor quarterback Tim Bell. The Lancers' Shane Clapp picked it up and ran 32 yards for the score.
The defensive touchdown was the Lancers' only score on the night.
The offense finished the night with only 177 total yards. Quarterback Joel Brawley threw for 106 yards and one interception. Running back Corey Hampton ran 11 times for 33 yards.
As they have all year, the Tigers kept the ball on the ground against the Lancers.
Benton Harbor scored on a 15-play, 70-yard drive that used up more than half the second quarter. It culminated in a five-yard score from running back Jeremy Burrell.
Burrell led the way with 108 yards rushing on 26 carries with a touchdown.
"We're not real fancy, but we take pride in controlling the game and our linemen did really well," Uzelac said. "We controlled the game and Jeremy Burrell and Percy Brown, they run hard, boy. They run hard."
Brown rushed for 45 yards on 12 carries.
The offenses stalled in the second half. Neither team found the end zone the rest of the game. Regulation ended in a 7-7 tie.
Benton Harbor elected to play defense first in overtime. After three straight runs, Lakeshore was faced with a fourth-and-goal from the two. Rather than attempt a field goal for the lead, they went for it. Brawley threw a pass behind his target, incomplete.
The Tigers fans erupted. They could sense a victory.
Benton Harbor took over at the 10 and ran three times to pull within two yards. That's when Jones took the spotlight.
"I was going to make it," Jones said. "In the fourth quarter, with about three minutes left, I was like, we're going to win by a field goal, and we did."
"Oh man," Uzelac said. "What a win, huh?"
10-12-2015 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

RE: Benton Harbor beats Lakeshore
Stories like this get to me. We get jaded to the game as it is played every Friday night and tend to look and think about the 3 star physical freaks who might make D-1.

But to hear these stories of ordinary kids working hard and playing their hearts out just reminds me there is a lot more to the game. Glad to see the Harbor on the rise.
10-12-2015 07:19 AM
bronco89 Offline
Special Teams

Agree Ernie. EU was a piece of work to play for......he has certainly mellowed with age. These kids in BH love him!
10-12-2015 09:52 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(10-12-2015 09:52 AM)bronco89 Wrote:  Agree Ernie. EU was a piece of work to play for......he has certainly mellowed with age. These kids in BH love him!

Great story. I really respect Uzelac for taking this job. Speaks highly of his character.

Great coaches are almost always great teachers first. Kids are sponges by nature. Give them proper direction and methodical instruction and they will respond.

Rest assured EU changed lives with that game and his direction.
10-12-2015 10:25 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Elliot came from rather humble background himself (Gary IN). Got his first HC job in coal mining country (Logan WV HS).

He is great guy-coach. Proud that he is a Bronco.
10-12-2015 10:35 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
A bunch of old guys with distant memories, reliving glory days that no one else cares about or remotely remembers.

Get over yourselves.

Take a selfie. Be narcissistic. Have a bromance with a relevant, hip young dude. Regale us with your sexual conquests in bars, under pool tables, with skanks and what not. Live your fantasy be it football or with no balls.

Don't ever be in the team picture if it aint D1. No No No. You don't want to go there.
10-12-2015 11:31 AM
bronco89 Offline
Special Teams

Baseline are you off your meds?
10-12-2015 12:43 PM
Advertisement

rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
I got the jest. He's right.
10-12-2015 12:44 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I'm doing improv now at Zanies on the weekends.

Come one come all.
10-12-2015 12:57 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2015 12:44 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  I got the jest. He's right.

Did ta see the skankasaurus on the field Saturday? "We won Bif, kiss me on national TV!"
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 02:53 PM by Chipdip2.)
10-12-2015 02:52 PM
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-12-2015 02:52 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

Did ta see the skankasaurus on the field Saturday? "We won Bif, kiss me on national TV!"

Todd? 03-puke
10-12-2015 02:56 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
(10-12-2015 02:52 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

I'm hoping it was captured and put on YouTube. Quite the display, and validation as it were.
10-12-2015 03:13 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

Surprisingly, KC beat BH 33-18 tonight. BH has to beat Portage Northern to make the playoffs for the first time ever.
10-16-2015 10:54 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

10-28-2015 01:20 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Todd?

No, I'm not following (nor do I follow HS football). Any skanks hopping in during a game or at a game would pass me by. :)
10-28-2015 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.