Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Florida & Michigan be as good this year under their old head coaches?
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Would Florida & Michigan be as good this year under their old head coaches?
Seems like there's only so much a new head coach can do in a single off-season.

I don't know for a fact, but maybe both coaches brought in a bunch of transfers?

If both these teams are this good this season with the players who are playing, wouldn't they have also been pretty much this good under the old regime?
10-11-2015 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
RE: Would Florida & Michigan be as good this year under their old head coaches?
The jury is still out on Florida...Muschamp was a defensive guy, so it's no surprise they have defensive studs on their team.

We KNOW Harbaugh is a good coach from his stints at San Francisco and Stanford. What's surprising is how fast he has Michigan playing good physical football...

We'll all know more after this next weekend
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 03:20 PM by EvilVodka.)
10-11-2015 03:20 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Most transfers are not immediately eligible. So it's not that.

Remember, coaching is not just about schemes and X's and O's. It's about player development, training regiments, preparation, motivation, and all sorts of other things.

A new coach, who takes over a talented but underperforming team can do exactly what both of these coaches are doing now.

Seeing as how Harbaugh did exactly this his first year in SF, and to a lesse extent at Stanford, it is definitely coaching that is responsible.
10-11-2015 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Harbaugh made a Pioneer League team, San Diego, a power in FCS. San Diego had no scholarship players.
10-11-2015 04:27 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Personally, I'm not all that surprised by Harbaugh as I had Michigan as a one loss team this year but believing someone can do something special and then actually watching them pull it off is two different things.

Florida though, caught me completely off guard this year. I didn't realize that coach was as good as he is with these kids.
10-11-2015 04:29 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Morris and Green would start for Michigan and struggle.
The defense would be great but spend more time on the field in bad field position often.
They would be better than last year but not nearly as good as they are right now.
10-11-2015 07:31 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Like I said in the other thread regarding Harbaugh- his style is VERY similar to what Hoke wanted to do, so it's not a major sea change like it would be if Harbaugh had been coming into a Oregon situation for example. He's not having to reinvent the wheel. As far as Florida- the guy is a real good coach- took Colorado St to 10 or 11 wins last year. He's from the Saban tree.

for both of them- this week is THE prove it week.
10-12-2015 12:54 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I'm not that aware of the changes made to the coaching staffs at those schools but great assistant coaches and coordinators can do wonders for a new head coach.
10-12-2015 05:11 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(10-12-2015 12:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Like I said in the other thread regarding Harbaugh- his style is VERY similar to what Hoke wanted to do, so it's not a major sea change like it would be if Harbaugh had been coming into a Oregon situation for example. He's not having to reinvent the wheel. As far as Florida- the guy is a real good coach- took Colorado St to 10 or 11 wins last year. He's from the Saban tree.

Harbaugh would have had a tougher time following Rich Rod.

Hoke to me was to easy on star players.
Rich Rod was worse than Hoke he played his system without spread option players. He got the slow returning QBs killed year one.
10-12-2015 05:29 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Coaching matters in college football a lot more than in many other sports.
10-12-2015 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
No they would not. Both team's offense were train wrecks last year. Michigan's defense is light years better. Both teams look more confident.
10-12-2015 07:55 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Nope
10-12-2015 09:51 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

H1 - I was talking about JC transfers, not kids who played on other P5 teams last season.

So sans transfers, the new coach is playing with the guys that the old coach brought in. I'm of the belief that it's not so much the X's and O's as much as it is the Jimmy's and Joe's. It's not black and white, it's some shade of gray, clearly.
10-12-2015 12:49 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-12-2015 12:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Like I said in the other thread regarding Harbaugh- his style is VERY similar to what Hoke wanted to do, so it's not a major sea change like it would be if Harbaugh had been coming into a Oregon situation for example. He's not having to reinvent the wheel. As far as Florida- the guy is a real good coach- took Colorado St to 10 or 11 wins last year. He's from the Saban tree.

For Florida, it will be tougher now that their QB is suspended for the year by the NCAA for PED use. Bad week to face LSU in Baton Rouge at night with a new QB.
10-12-2015 01:03 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(10-12-2015 01:03 PM)ken d Wrote:  

For Florida, it will be tougher now that their QB is suspended for the year by the NCAA for PED use. Bad week to face LSU in Baton Rouge at night with a new QB.

Ouch!

But to the point of the thread, I'm assuming that Grier was recruited to Florida by Muschamp. Would he have not played this well under Mus's staff?
10-12-2015 01:14 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
That is so painful to read. I was actually happy for Florida and their new coach. Hopefully their second quarterback is prepared. I think we have all gotten to the point where second string QB's coming in and having success is no longer all that surprising.
10-12-2015 06:35 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Answering the OP's question: No and No.

(10-12-2015 06:37 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Coaching matters in college football a lot more than in many other sports.
This.
10-12-2015 08:23 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-12-2015 06:35 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  That is so painful to read. I was actually happy for Florida and their new coach. Hopefully their second quarterback is prepared. I think we have all gotten to the point where second string QB's coming in and having success is no longer all that surprising.

Very true. But can't think of all that many places that would be tougher to come into a situation than LSU at night.
10-12-2015 08:59 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(10-12-2015 08:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:35 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  That is so painful to read. I was actually happy for Florida and their new coach. Hopefully their second quarterback is prepared. I think we have all gotten to the point where second string QB's coming in and having success is no longer all that surprising.

Very true. But can't think of all that many places that would be tougher to come into a situation than LSU at night.

The LSU game will be Harris' 8th game as Florida's starter. As good a backup as a college team could hope to have stepping in after something like this.
10-12-2015 09:12 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-12-2015 09:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

The LSU game will be Harris' 8th game as Florida's starter. As good a backup as a college team could hope to have stepping in after something like this.

No doubt. But there could have been easier scenarios for sure.
10-12-2015 09:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.