Sun Belt Power Rankings - Week 6
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Sun Belt Power Rankings - Week 6
1. Georgia Southern
2. App State

Was going to put App at #1 until I saw that Liberty lost to Gardner-Webb. Still think we're better. We'll settle it in about a week and a half.

3. Arkansas State (with Fredi they are the unequivocal #3.)
4. South Alabama
5. ULM
6. Troy
7. UL
8. Texas State
(has UL once again waited until conference play to start competing? I hope it's just that Tx State isn't good, but not sure)
9. Idaho
10. NMSU
11. Georgia State
10-10-2015 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: Sun Belt Power Rankings - Week 6
App should be number 1, we proved,we can run or pass the ball equally well, Georgia Southern can't say that, plus you can't argue our defense is the best in the SBC, we shut down the 7th best passing offense in the entire FBS, and we are giving up less than 11 points per game.
10-10-2015 10:52 PM
GSUCadet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GS & GT
damn you beat me to it lol
10-10-2015 10:56 PM
GSUCadet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GS & GT
1. App State: had a pretty easy win against Ga State today, though they should have been able to put up more points against their horrible defense.

1. Georgia Southern: very similar to App so far this season. Neither team has done anything to prove that they are better than the other. OCT 22 will decide who is better, and we can start ranking the two over each other. Still, I would say that Georgia Southern and App State are the two front runners in power rankings.

3. Louisiana: still very early in the season, with a lot of conference play to go. Anything can happen in the fun belt. I like what I saw in the second half against Texas State.

4. Arkansas State: this upcoming Tuesday should give us a better perspective of Arkansas State this season. With the level of competition in the Sun belt, I see Arkansas State winning most of their remaining games.

5. South Alabama: they have a winning record, which is better than most teams in the sun belt can currently say. With only one conference game down, I don't know how well they will match against Arkansas State this Tuesday. This should be a great game to watch.

6. ULM: I was rooting for y'all during your game against Tulsa this past week. You were up, and your missed field goal kinda killed it for you. Still, I think you guys will be competitive in the sun belt. I see a middle of the pack finish with a bowl game by the end of the season.

7. Troy: All these P-5 games are distorting Troy's record. I think you will easily be competitive in the Sun Belt this season, yet you still have a lot to prove. I see the next two games helping solidify your program.

8. Texas State: looked good against Louisiana in the first half, but your depth fell apart. I hope that you improve in the next couple weeks, and have a bowl game in your future.

9. Idaho: To be fair, most of the teams that Idaho has played so far are really good. but I still see a close win to an FCS school as a fatal aspect of your program.

10. Georgia State: An FCS loss is keeping you from being ranked higher. Though it could be worse...you could have lost to a team who lost to an FCS team.

11. NMSU: Hey, someone has to be 0-5. I feel bad for NMSU having to travel all the way to Statesboro this week. It's a long trip, and Statesboro isn't an easy place to play.
10-10-2015 11:01 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
1. App is clearly the best and will be the favorite to win in two weeks and will continue to be the favorite win or lose next week. You can't argue with how #1 they are.

2. Everyone else.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 11:07 PM by bullitt_60.)
10-10-2015 11:06 PM
CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-10-2015 11:01 PM)GSUCadet Wrote:  1. App State: had a pretty easy win against Ga State today, though they should have been able to put up more points against their horrible defense.

1. Georgia Southern: very similar to App so far this season. Neither team has done anything to prove that they are better than the other. OCT 22 will decide who is better, and we can start ranking the two over each other. Still, I would say that Georgia Southern and App State are the two front runners in power rankings.

3. Louisiana: still very early in the season, with a lot of conference play to go. Anything can happen in the fun belt. I like what I saw in the second half against Texas State.

4. Arkansas State: this upcoming Tuesday should give us a better perspective of Arkansas State this season. With the level of competition in the Sun belt, I see Arkansas State winning most of their remaining games.

5. South Alabama: they have a winning record, which is better than most teams in the sun belt can currently say. With only one conference game down, I don't know how well they will match against Arkansas State this Tuesday. This should be a great game to watch.

6. ULM: I was rooting for y'all during your game against Tulsa this past week. You were up, and your missed field goal kinda killed it for you. Still, I think you guys will be competitive in the sun belt. I see a middle of the pack finish with a bowl game by the end of the season.

7. Troy: All these P-5 games are distorting Troy's record. I think you will easily be competitive in the Sun Belt this season, yet you still have a lot to prove. I see the next two games helping solidify your program.

8. Texas State: looked good against Louisiana in the first half, but your depth fell apart. I hope that you improve in the next couple weeks, and have a bowl game in your future.

9. Idaho: To be fair, most of the teams that Idaho has played so far are really good. but I still see a close win to an FCS school as a fatal aspect of your program.

10. Georgia State: An FCS loss is keeping you from being ranked higher. Though it could be worse...you could have lost to a team who lost to an FCS team.

11. NMSU: Hey, someone has to be 0-5. I feel bad for NMSU having to travel all the way to Statesboro this week. It's a long trip, and Statesboro isn't an easy place to play.
Thanks for the vote of confidence but no way are we number 3 in the conference I feel we can win the conference (fan talk) but right now in week five we are still trying to find our identity if we can beat A state maybe but that's a big if. Our defense seems confused most of the game and stop McGuire and you stop our offense.
10-10-2015 11:07 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Not sure I agree about putting up more points. 37-3 and now three out of 5 games have ended without a TD being allowed. Obviously the competition is nothing to brag about but everyone is doing their jobs right now. If Clemsom doesn't Clemson this year and App manages to win the rest of their games, the Belt may get some outside respect.
10-10-2015 11:09 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
The Belt may get some outside respect due to Appy getting blown out by Clemson?
10-11-2015 01:00 AM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Sun Belt Power Rankings - Week 6
(10-11-2015 01:00 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  The Belt may get some outside respect due to Appy getting blown out by Clemson?

He means if we run the table and our only loss is to a Clemson team which will be playing for the national championship then we may get national attention as a one loss team... while it's far fetched if we are a one loss team and we do something like a beat an acc team at the cure bowl then yes we should, but as I said this is all a scenario nowhere near happening, many more weeks and tougher teams to be played
10-11-2015 02:53 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Sticking with my week 5 ranking.

1)Georgia Southern - Defending champs with two solid wins.
2)Appalachian State - All wins against awful teams. SoCon schedule thus far would have been tougher. ULM game will tell us more.

Gap

3)Arkansas State - Down from previous seasons. Hard to rate games without Knighten.
4) UL - disastrous OOC. Thankfully the sbc schedule is here.
5) ULM - had a chance vs Tulsa but couldn't hold on.
6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 05:58 AM by GSU Eagles.)
10-11-2015 05:57 AM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(10-11-2015 02:53 AM)Check Yosef Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 01:00 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  The Belt may get some outside respect due to Appy getting blown out by Clemson?

He means if we run the table and our only loss is to a Clemson team which will be playing for the national championship then we may get national attention as a one loss team... while it's far fetched if we are a one loss team and we do something like a beat an acc team at the cure bowl then yes we should, but as I said this is all a scenario nowhere near happening, many more weeks and tougher teams to be played

If you are a one loss team you won't be at the Cure Bowl.
10-11-2015 06:58 AM
Advertisement

anotherNMAg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NMSU
Top:
1. App
2. Georgia Southern
To be resolved 10/22. I think App has advantage from being at home, but if Southern can beat UGA without Chubb....they'll take first place even if App wins the Belt.

High-mid:
3. stAte
4. USA
To be resolved 10/13. I think stAte has the advantage with Fredi back.

Mid:
5. ULL
6. ULM
Both teams have rediscovered their offenses, but ULM is a tad more inconsistent. League play should bring more clarity.

Mid to Low:
7. Texas St.
7. Troy
Texas St. needs a defense. Troy needs an offense. Not sure who is better at this rate.

Next Year...Maybe?
9. Idaho
10. Georgia St.
11. NMSU
Idaho fans, is Linehan still available? How many members of your DL are out for the year? You guys seemed limited against stAte. If you can get most of them back, you are really in the same category as Texas St. and Troy.
Georgia St. looks like they don't want to play anymore.
NMSU just lost our starting QB for who knows how long. It was bad enough we had to burn a redshirt on our backup QB (who isn't ready). The play calling seems better, though.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 07:51 AM by anotherNMAg.)
10-11-2015 07:27 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(10-11-2015 05:57 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Sticking with my week 5 ranking.

2)Appalachian State - All wins against awful teams. SoCon schedule thus far would have been tougher. ULM game will tell us more.

Gap

3)Arkansas State - Down from previous seasons. Hard to rate games without Knighten.
6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou

I don't know what will happen next week let alone two weeks from now, but I have no doubt that even if we should go to 7-1 there will be people who will say we haven't played anyone. We can't control how the teams we play perform. All we can do is play our schedule. And all I know is we looked a lot better against Clemson than others did, and they are a legit top 10 team, and beat the rest by a combined score of 166-16. It's not just what you do, but how you do it.

After a while, a trend develops. We can score points, and we can keep others from scoring. We won't get credit for next week or the week after... after all, ULM has only one win this year and it was against an FCS, and GS hasn't played anyone. That's fine. We will just keep playing ball and see what happens at the end of the season.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 07:38 AM by GoAppsGo92.)
10-11-2015 07:36 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2015 07:27 AM)anotherNMAg Wrote:  Top:
1. App
2. Georgia Southern
To be resolved 10/22. I think App has advantage from being at home, but if Southern can beat UGA without Chubb....they'll take first place even if App wins the Belt.

03-banghead
10-11-2015 07:36 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2015 07:36 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

Gap

6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou

I don't know what will happen next week let alone two weeks from now, but I have no doubt that even if we should go to 7-1 there will be people who will say we haven't played anyone. We can't control how the teams we play perform. All we can do is play our schedule. And all I know is we looked a lot better against Clemson than others did, and they are a legit top 10 team, and beat the rest by a combined score of 166-16. It's not just what you do, but how you do it.

After a while, a trend develops. We can score points, and we can keep others from scoring. We won't get credit for next week or the week after... after all, ULM has only one win this year and it was against an FCS, and GS hasn't played anyone. That's fine. We will just keep playing ball and see what happens at the end of the season.

Neither of us have played an impressive schedule so far but the dominating win over Western Michigan is a solid win. They have played good teams close and just beat Central Michigan that also played P5 teams close as well as beating Northern Illinois.

App may be good, but the teams are they have beaten are much worse than the SoCon teams we played a few years ago so I don't think much can be learned from the wins so far.
10-11-2015 08:19 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2015 08:19 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

Gap

6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou

Neither of us have played an impressive schedule so far but the dominating win over Western Michigan is a solid win. They have played good teams close and just beat Central Michigan that also played P5 teams close as well as beating Northern Illinois.

App may be good, but the teams are they have beaten are much worse than the SoCon teams we played a few years ago so I don't think much can be learned from the wins so far.

Zero touchdowns allowed in three of five games. One thing people seemed certain of was that GSU could score because their offense was that good. That didn't happen.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 08:28 AM by ericsaid.)
10-11-2015 08:26 AM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2015 08:26 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Gap

6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou

Zero touchdowns allowed in three of five games. One thing people seemed certain of was that GSU could score because their offense was that good. That didn't happen.

App's average offense allows the first team defense to stay in most of the game.
10-11-2015 08:32 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2015 08:32 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 08:26 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Gap

6) USA
7) Tx St
8) Troy
11) the restYou

App's average offense allows the first team defense to stay in most of the game.

If you watched at all you would know that players are subbed in an out throughout the game. I guess 300 yards passed and 200 rushing just isn't good enough is it? You think Michigan has been pulling its starters to maintain their shutouts? No.
10-11-2015 08:40 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

10-11-2015 08:42 AM
nineoneo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Them
(10-11-2015 08:42 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Do some research

http://sunbeltsports.org/custompages/fbs...nfldrs.htm

I thought that might be useful, then seeing Texas State had #1 in total offense and then determined these stats are absolutely worthless
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 09:20 AM by nineoneo.)
10-11-2015 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.