Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches' salary revisited
Viejobuho Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice Owls
Coaches' salary revisited
David Bailiff listed at #79 but it seems he may actually be about #85 if you include the six not listed at the end.

Some interesting points: Cincinnati highest paid G5 coach at #50. Lowest P5 is Kansas’ Beatty at #81. Notre Dame’s Kelly comes in out at relatively low #68. Surprised by Navy paying a relatively steep $1.6M

Generally, to me, these numbers are scary; I just don’t visualize Rice paying top 50 dollars.

Edit: Interesting that Bailiff is 2nd best paid C-USA coach, just behind MTS's. Also, apologies to Orange County Owl who had posted essentially the same topic earlier. Can the board moderator merge this thread with OCO's?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 10:41 AM by Viejobuho.)
10-09-2015 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Coaches' salary revisited
(10-09-2015 05:04 PM)Viejobuho Wrote:  David Bailiff listed at #79 but it seems he may actually be about #85 if you include the six not listed at the end.

Some interesting points: Cincinnati highest paid G5 coach at #50. Lowest P5 is Kansas’ Beatty at #81. Notre Dame’s Kelly comes in out at relatively low #68. Surprised by Navy paying a relatively steep $1.6M

Generally, to me, these numbers are scary; I just don’t visualize Rice paying top 50 dollars.

Maybe. I think Rice might venture into that range if the football team was consistently in the Top 40 and those results justified increased expenditures (i.e. the football program was either brining in substantially more money, or the added attention provided a signficant benefit to the rest of the university). But its the old chicken-and-the-egg problem. Can Rice ever improve that much to justify the salaries if it never spends that much in the first place? Either we need to spend a lot for proven production, or need to hope to get lucky and find a college football version of Wayne Graham.
10-09-2015 05:17 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

The university allegedly made Graham a $1 million counteroffer before he left, FWIW as an indication of what's possible.
10-09-2015 05:41 PM
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Online
Heisman

(10-09-2015 05:17 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 05:04 PM)Viejobuho Wrote:  David Bailiff listed at #79 but it seems he may actually be about #85 if you include the six not listed at the end.

Maybe. I think Rice might venture into that range if the football team was consistently in the Top 40 and those results justified increased expenditures (i.e. the football program was either brining in substantially more money, or the added attention provided a signficant benefit to the rest of the university). But its the old chicken-and-the-egg problem. Can Rice ever improve that much to justify the salaries if it never spends that much in the first place? Either we need to spend a lot for proven production, or need to hope to get lucky and find a college football version of Wayne Graham.

I vote for the former myself. While the contribution to the EZF was an excellent step forward, if JK chooses to go another way with the head coaching position, the school needs to figure out how to pay him more than what Bailiff is making, in an effort to attract a stronger candidate pool than the last time we had a coaching search. I don't think Bailiff is the answer, but it's not exactly like the school is lifting enough fingers to support the team, or the MOB for that matter.

Edit: Read the post above, which is very surprising to me.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 05:50 PM by westsidewolf1989.)
10-09-2015 05:47 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
I doubt our AD has set a goal of Top 25 performance with an expectation of paying only bottom 50% salary.
10-09-2015 06:47 PM
Advertisement

Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Also discussed in a previous thread.
10-09-2015 07:57 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
I think two things can be true at the same time

1. Bailiff is overpaid, as he is making more than coaches who deliver a lot more; e.g. La Tech, WKU, Toledo; and he does not receive better offers from other schools.

2. Rice needs to pay more to attract the candidate who will take us where we need to go.
10-09-2015 09:49 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(10-09-2015 05:41 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  The university allegedly made Graham a $1 million counteroffer before he left, FWIW as an indication of what's possible.

Most interesting information posted on this thread; and very telling. Thank you for posting this.

So, when Graham was using us to up his own salary, we allegedly played along, but lost out. Then, instead of expanding our potential pool of candidates with what ten years ago would have been a huge jump in salary for a Rice football coach, the deciderers elected to go back to rummaging at the apparent bottom of candidates.

That just doesn't make sense to me, because one of the knocks against the Rice job is that we are not willing to pay competitive salary. Allegedly we were for Graham, so why retreat when we'd ostensibly made that leap? That kind of thinking seems backwards to me, but it does help explain why we are where we are.
10-10-2015 08:10 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Interesting how quickly this moved from "allegedly" to historical fact.
10-10-2015 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-10-2015 08:37 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Interesting how quickly this moved from "allegedly" to historical fact.

I do not believe it is historically factual. I recall a movement in some quarters to pony up the cash to make such an offer in anticipation that Tulsa would come after Graham. But I do not believe that an actual offer was ever made.

I do not have actual first-hand knowledge either way. I was close enough to the scene and knew enough of the parties well enough and have heard enough of their accounts to have a good feel for what happened, but I do not have first-hand knowledge.
10-10-2015 09:04 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-10-2015 08:10 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  .

So, when Graham was using us to up his own salary, we allegedly played along, but lost out. Then, instead of expanding our potential pool of candidates with what ten years ago would have been a huge jump in salary for a Rice football coach, the deciderers elected to go back to rummaging at the apparent bottom of candidates.

Wouldn't the decider be CDC? I wonder if TCU knows?

The "bottom" included Coker, who was my choice. But maybe CDC did discern he was at the bottom.
10-10-2015 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.