Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BREAKING: Maryland to Fire Randy Edsall
Bookmark and Share
chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
BREAKING: Maryland to Fire Randy Edsall
Quote:Edsall, a Syracuse alum who grew up in Pennsylvania, called Maryland his "dream job" in his introductory press conference. But his first season was nightmarish, with numerous players opting to leave rather than play for him, and the team finishing 2-10. The Terps went 4-8 the following year, and grumbling grew loud before a 7-6 season in 2013-2014 quieted critics at least partially. Despite the collapse of late 2014, Maryland had its first win over Penn State in 53 years, another win at Michigan and a respectable rookie year in the Big Ten.

Off the field, he'd also earned praise for improving the program's academic standing and avoiding off-field issues -- along with the aforementioned recruiting class next to arrive next year. And for the most part, sources said, the current players like Edsall personally. But he lost their support with his program-wide rigidness -- at times he's taken names off jerseys and banned baseball caps, 'do' rags, untrimmed facial hair and earrings in efforts to stifle selfish individualism -- along with his refusal to play more aggressively and tendency to blame them for losses.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/BR...l-40044257
10-08-2015 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
RE: BREAKING: Maryland to Fire Randy Edsall
While this is still unconfirmed…I believe that the guy that broke this story is also the one who broke UMD to the Big Ten. So, I'd say this has a pretty good chance of being true. This really needs to be done. I am curious to know why they'd wait until after the game at Ohio State. Is he REALLY going to keep it close enough or show anything to make the decision makes say, "wait a second, maybe we should keep him around". That is the strange part to me.
10-08-2015 10:44 AM
chrisRU Offline
1st String

Not uncommon for football coaches to be axed entering the bye weeks. Gives the team a week to get everything in order.
10-08-2015 10:54 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

True, hadn't occurred to me. I'm sure the admin didn't intend for this to become public yet. I wonder if they go ahead and do it before the game since it has become public or just go along with the plan.
10-08-2015 11:01 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-08-2015 10:54 AM)chrisRU Wrote:  Not uncommon for football coaches to be axed entering the bye weeks. Gives the team a week to get everything in order.

That makes the most sense to me as to why they'd wait, let the media circus that will ensue for a few days happen during the early part of the bye week.
10-08-2015 12:34 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Well...there is this: Maryland statement: “Randy Edsall is our head football coach & he'll be on the sidelines Saturday against Ohio State”
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 12:59 PM by TerpsNPhoenix.)
10-08-2015 12:58 PM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(10-08-2015 12:58 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  Well...there is this: Maryland statement: “Randy Edsall is our head football coach & he'll be on the sidelines Saturday against Ohio State”

But what about after the game?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tate-game/

Thoughts on who the candidates Maryland would look at after the season?
10-08-2015 01:11 PM
chrisRU Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 12:58 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  Well...there is this: Maryland statement: “Randy Edsall is our head football coach & he'll be on the sidelines Saturday against Ohio State”

Man, that's about as weak of a support statement as I could've imagined!
10-08-2015 01:17 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
Jeff Ermann was on the Vinny & Rob show an hour earlier. He said he's 99.99 percent sure that Randy Edsall will be fired after the Ohio State game and that a committee would be formed to search for his replacement. The current fan favorite is Chip Kelly, the Philadelphia Eagles head coach.
10-08-2015 01:56 PM
PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
damn ... wheres Bear Bryant when you really need him !!! ... 03-lmfao ... betcha Locksley til the seasns over then the fun begins ...
10-08-2015 03:35 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Well he's got job security for one more game... And who wouldn't feel comfortable with an endorsement like that? /sarcasm
10-08-2015 05:11 PM
Advertisement

TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

That endorsement was as close as you will get to basically saying, "yep the story is true". As for who is going to take over for now. This may seem a bit odd but want Lox to take the interim tag. It helps show recruits it will be ok. (I am SURE Haskins and others are getting TONS to calls right now). 1 person has already reopened their recruitment. But also, with Lox as interim HC, it takes him out of play calling. Love Lox as a recruiter but play calling leaves something to be desired.
10-08-2015 07:22 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
This leaked out last week already. It just became "public" today.

Maryland can do good on the football field with a good coach.
10-08-2015 07:56 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

In all honesty, I am very surprised at the mid-season change. I thought for sure he'd make it until the end of the year. If he had an upset or two I wouldn't have been shocked to see him next year.
10-08-2015 08:57 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
This seems legit. No way they wanted this out there now though.
10-09-2015 08:44 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
The one benefit towards making a change in mid-season is that the school can get a head start at talking to candidates ahead of other programs who will be making changes after the season.

With two B1G jobs open once the season ends, schools can begin dialogue with candidates before their respective seasons end.

Greg Schiano should be at the top of both schools' respective lists, IMO.
10-09-2015 08:51 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
(10-09-2015 08:51 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  The one benefit towards making a change in mid-season is that the school can get a head start at talking to candidates ahead of other programs who will be making changes after the season.

With two B1G jobs open once the season ends, schools can begin dialogue with candidates before their respective seasons end.

Greg Schiano should be at the top of both schools' respective lists, IMO.

Rutgers will probably be in the market as well. And Schiano II might not be a bad fit for everyone involved.
10-09-2015 11:13 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I have seen his name thrown around a bit. Whoever hires him may have to pay a premium to get him. I think MD's AD will probably stay somewhere around the range the Edsall is getting (just a feeling, they probably won't open the vault for anyone).
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 12:22 PM by TerpsNPhoenix.)
10-09-2015 12:21 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 10:18 AM)chrisRU Wrote:  
Quote:Edsall, a Syracuse alum who grew up in Pennsylvania, called Maryland his "dream job" in his introductory press conference. But his first season was nightmarish, with numerous players opting to leave rather than play for him, and the team finishing 2-10. The Terps went 4-8 the following year, and grumbling grew loud before a 7-6 season in 2013-2014 quieted critics at least partially. Despite the collapse of late 2014, Maryland had its first win over Penn State in 53 years, another win at Michigan and a respectable rookie year in the Big Ten.

Off the field, he'd also earned praise for improving the program's academic standing and avoiding off-field issues -- along with the aforementioned recruiting class next to arrive next year. And for the most part, sources said, the current players like Edsall personally. But he lost their support with his program-wide rigidness -- at times he's taken names off jerseys and banned baseball caps, 'do' rags, untrimmed facial hair and earrings in efforts to stifle selfish individualism -- along with his refusal to play more aggressively and tendency to blame them for losses.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/BR...l-40044257

He sounds like a great fit for Rutgers. Schiano was known as a rigid control freak. No way we are going to get Chip Kelly or even Schiano back for the money we can afford to pay. Edsall on the other hand, might come cheap. He isn't a great coach, but all things being equal, he did a good job at UConn and Md of going up against RU in games and recruiting.
10-09-2015 01:05 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Edsall will land on his feet. Maybe not a HC job but a coordinator job. That said, I hope both our programs make big hires and build up the programs. Edsall is not that coach.
10-09-2015 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.