Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Basketball Pratice
Bookmark and Share
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
First Basketball Pratice
The first practice was yesterday. What are everyone's expectaions this year?

Men's Basketball Officially Begins Preseason Practice

Quote:CINICINNATI - The University of Cincinnati men's basketball team officially began preseason practice for the 2015-16 campaign Wednesday in the practice gymnasium at the Richard E. Lindner Athletics Center.

KOCH: Older, Better Bearcats Look to Improve on Offense

10-08-2015 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
RE: First Basketball Pratice
From Koch's article, I think the following tidbit on Shaq Thomas is interesting:

Quote:"He's come to the realization that he's going to be effective 10 feet and in and he needed to get stronger to do that," Cronin said. "He's finally really had an epiphany that he needed to get stronger physically. He committed himself to that."

Sounds similar to what happened with Justin Jackson although I don't see Shaq as the same player as JJ --- mainly because we can rely on Ellis, Clark and DeBerry down low.

I'm curious to see what this newfound strength will do for Shaq. Hopefully he doesn't finish his career as the "guy with so much potential".

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 08:46 AM by JPBearcat3.)
10-08-2015 08:45 AM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
My expectations for the team:
To place no higher than 3rd in the AAC.
A trip to the sweet 16.
To see improved ball movement in spurts, by having a true point guard in Jenifer(even if he is only a frosh.)
To be one of the better rebounding teams in the league.
To be absolutely stifling on the defensive interior.

My expectations for individuals:
Caupain, I expect to shoot more and to have an easier time scoring. Especially since he'll be sharing his duties as primary ball handler.
Clark, I expect to have developed a respectable short range jumper. This will allow him to make baskets with less work. I also expect that because the kid is a gamer, he'll be rebounding and scoring more. Maybe a double double average, maybe just shy.
Farad Cobb I expect to Farad Cobb. That is to say, catch fire and bury teams every now and again. I also expect that he'll make the smart play and feed others, when he's not the hot hand.
Kevin Johnson, I think he'll settle in better and not force things/turn it over as much. I bet he also shoots better, as he seemed to improve in the latter half of last season.
Deberry, I expect to be in a bit better shape, and his play to be his usual beastly self. I look forward to seeing him play. I like old school bigs.
Ellis, I expect to be an enforcer on the defensive end, even more so than last year. I expect him to not back down or lose his ****. If anything, I want him to make other guys lose it. Like he did that UK kid in the NCAA's.(Lyles I think?) If he can score more, with that shot and his added mass this off season, I think he may get drafted. Which would be big for the program.
Shaq Thomas, I expect him to play within himself. I know he'll take the occasional 3, but so long as he's not trigger happy and sticks to the short/mid range game; he'll be just fine.
Quadri Moore, I expect he'll be in better shape. I also expect him to come out with a bit more confidence. Kid shouldn't be down on himself like he was at times last season. Needs to just go out and be the player we recruited him to be.
Justin Jenifer, while he'll need to take his time and adjust, he's just way too gifted a facilitator on offense, to not make an impact this season. I expect he'll impress us every now and again.
Tre Scott, I think with his athleticism and physical maturity, he'll get some play this season. I think he may be plugged in at various points, to either rest Shaq or Clark.
Jacob Evans, talented player. I think he'll have some moments that really surprise people. He's basically a 6'6-6'7 point guard, playing on the wing.

I think that's everybody.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 09:20 AM by Recluse1.)
10-08-2015 09:14 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I expect to have a great chance to win conference and earn a protected seed 1-4 in the NCAA tournament. I expect to beat an overmatched team in round 1. After that it's a crapshoot but with as deep and talented as this team appears we have a great chance to go as further than we've been in 20 years.

10-08-2015 09:38 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
(10-08-2015 09:14 AM)Recluse1 Wrote:  My expectations for the team:
A trip to the sweet 16.
To see improved ball movement in spurts, by having a true point guard in Jenifer(even if he is only a frosh.)

Caupain, I expect to shoot more and to have an easier time scoring. Especially since he'll be sharing his duties as primary ball handler.
Clark, I expect to have developed a respectable short range jumper. This will allow him to make baskets with less work. I also expect that because the kid is a gamer, he'll be rebounding and scoring more. Maybe a double double average, maybe just shy.
Farad Cobb I expect to Farad Cobb. That is to say, catch fire and bury teams every now and again. I also expect that he'll make the smart play and feed others, when he's not the hot hand.
Kevin Johnson, I think he'll settle in better and not force things/turn it over as much. I bet he also shoots better, as he seemed to improve in the latter half of last season.
Deberry, I expect to be in a bit better shape, and his play to be his usual beastly self. I look forward to seeing him play. I like old school bigs.
Ellis, I expect to be an enforcer on the defensive end, even more so than last year. I expect him to not back down or lose his ****. If anything, I want him to make other guys lose it. Like he did that UK kid in the NCAA's.(Lyles I think?) If he can score more, with that shot and his added mass this off season, I think he may get drafted. Which would be big for the program.
Shaq Thomas, I expect him to play within himself. I know he'll take the occasional 3, but so long as he's not trigger happy and sticks to the short/mid range game; he'll be just fine.
Quadri Moore, I expect he'll be in better shape. I also expect him to come out with a bit more confidence. Kid shouldn't be down on himself like he was at times last season. Needs to just go out and be the player we recruited him to be.
Justin Jenifer, while he'll need to take his time and adjust, he's just way too gifted a facilitator on offense, to not make an impact this season. I expect he'll impress us every now and again.
Tre Scott, I think with his athleticism and physical maturity, he'll get some play this season. I think he may be plugged in at various points, to either rest Shaq or Clark.
Jacob Evans, talented player. I think he'll have some moments that really surprise people. He's basically a 6'6-6'7 point guard, playing on the wing.

Do you mean no lower than 3rd in the AAC ? I expect us to win the conference.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 09:47 AM by cincybb51.)
10-08-2015 09:46 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(10-08-2015 09:46 AM)cincybb51 Wrote:  
A trip to the sweet 16.

You beat me to it. I could see this team finishing as low as 3rd, but I'd be sorely disappointed if it finishes lower.

10-08-2015 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

A trip to the sweet 16.

In the context you're implying, I would be saying lower. As far as the numbers are concerned, "1" is not higher than "3" and anyone who promotes the idea that it is, should be sent to a camp. High doesn't inherently mean good, low doesn't inherently mean bad. See the game of "limbo". I expect us to be in the top 3, hope that clarifies.

10-08-2015 10:19 AM
CincyBro Online
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
1. AAC regular season or AAC tourney championship.

2. Top 15, possibly Top 10 ranking.

3. Elite 8 appearance.

4. Mick to be healthy enough to last the whole year, please lose the mean face Mick.

10-08-2015 10:38 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(10-08-2015 10:19 AM)Recluse1 Wrote:  
A trip to the sweet 16.

In the context you're implying, I would be saying lower. As far as the numbers are concerned, "1" is not higher than "3" and anyone who promotes the idea that it is, should be sent to a camp. High doesn't inherently mean good, low doesn't inherently mean bad. See the game of "limbo". I expect us to be in the top 3, hope that clarifies.

I like the limbo analogy :)

10-08-2015 10:40 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

A trip to the sweet 16.

Clear as mud. Unless, of course, you're talking about the dark mud, which actually isn't clear. But, one who has seen actually clear mud would understand that it can be an opaque substance. The fact that mud is often viewed as messy doesn't mean that it's inherently "unclear".

10-08-2015 10:45 AM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 10:45 AM)geef Wrote:  
A trip to the sweet 16.

Clear as mud. Unless, of course, you're talking about the dark mud, which actually isn't clear. But, one who has seen actually clear mud would understand that it can be an opaque substance. The fact that mud is often viewed as messy doesn't mean that it's inherently "unclear".

When counting, the numbers which are higher, are greater than those that are lower. Math isn't really "opaque" in my experience, but whatevs 07-coffee3

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 11:07 AM by Recluse1.)
10-08-2015 11:06 AM
Advertisement

cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
In sports linguistics, higher refers to being higher up on the printed list of standings (from back in time when people had to rely on newspapers). Therefore, first place is higher in the standings than third place.

As a matter of convenience, we drop the word place when talking about standings. So we then end up with the pedantic "debate" about higher and lower for numbers.

10-08-2015 12:19 PM
BearcatnKY Offline
Bearcat Baller

I Root For: UC luck, ONCE.
First Basketball Pratice
Triangles. Lots of Triangles. And 389 references to Ellis and his behavior last year.

But I would HOPE for at least a share of the AAC w/ UConn and a Sweet 16.

I would love an E8 or Final 4 with a UK rematch along the way.

10-08-2015 12:32 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Biggest key to this season is a skilled 3 who can actually put the ball in the basket consistently. That position in particular has absolutely killed their offense over the last 2-3 years.

10-08-2015 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-08-2015 08:45 AM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  From Koch's article, I think the following tidbit on Shaq Thomas is interesting:

Quote:"He's come to the realization that he's going to be effective 10 feet and in and he needed to get stronger to do that," Cronin said. "He's finally really had an epiphany that he needed to get stronger physically. He committed himself to that."

Sounds similar to what happened with Justin Jackson although I don't see Shaq as the same player as JJ --- mainly because we can rely on Ellis, Clark and DeBerry down low.

I'm curious to see what this newfound strength will do for Shaq. Hopefully he doesn't finish his career as the "guy with so much potential".

Whoa boy....this is dangerously close to the first "Shaq will finally see the light" comment this year. 03-lmfao

10-08-2015 01:42 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 12:19 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  In sports linguistics, higher refers to being higher up on the printed list of standings (from back in time when people had to rely on newspapers). Therefore, first place is higher in the standings than third place.
As a matter of convenience, we drop the word place when talking about standings. So we then end up with the pedantic "debate" about higher and lower for numbers.

I appreciate the attempt to explain things, but the reality is I acknowledged that, when I mentioned the context he was implying. In terms of order and placement, it's still incorrect. First and sixteenth, like real numbers, have necessary identities. "Sports linguistics" is something more like tribalism or voodoo. It only has power if you believe in it. Personally, any religion that believes it can change the absolute value of something, by printing it on a higher or lower part of the page, seems pretty stupid to me. But like I said, whatever.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 03:16 PM by Recluse1.)
10-08-2015 03:14 PM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(10-08-2015 03:14 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 12:19 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  In sports linguistics, higher refers to being higher up on the printed list of standings (from back in time when people had to rely on newspapers). Therefore, first place is higher in the standings than third place.

I appreciate the attempt to explain things, but the reality is I acknowledged that, when I mentioned the context he was implying. In terms of order and placement, it's still incorrect. First and sixteenth, like real numbers, have necessary identities. "Sports linguistics" is something more like tribalism or voodoo. It only has power if you believe in it. Personally, any religion that believes it can change the absolute value of something, by printing it on a higher or lower part of the page, seems pretty stupid to me. But like I said, whatever.

07-coffee3

10-08-2015 03:23 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(10-08-2015 03:14 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  

Just do whatever you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10-08-2015 03:30 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 03:30 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Just do whatever you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I prefer what logic, axiomatic systems and experience have to offer.
Which is to say, will do.

10-08-2015 03:41 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
The main question I have, is are we going to have anybody capable of carrying us offensively through stretches. Right now, the only player I can see being that guy is Caupain or Evans

10-08-2015 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.