Gaber outlines plans for athletics
10-07-2015 04:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Gaber outlines plans for athletics
(10-07-2015 04:47 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/561536

This is huge, we have a President that is 100% behind athletics. This is going to be an exciting couple of years and beyond as already good facilities get even better. Also it appears that the newest and most improved residence halls have led to her decision to get the remaining ones improved asap as that is mentioned in the article. A few things I want to bring up that will help UT vault above our peers. 1. We have the third largest endowment in the MAC and it is growing. 2. UT athletics are the most self sufficient in the MAC. 3. Donations to UT athletics are #1 in the MAC. 4. UT has a very low debt ratio meaning that future dollars can be used for projects and academics instead of paying for debt. All in all UT is in a very good position to get some things done and get them done quickly without borrowing money.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 07:07 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
10-07-2015 06:53 AM
UTLAW Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Love the fact that she is in favor of bringing baseball, softball and soccer back to main campus. Toledo's baseball facilities are a disgrace. My son played in an baseball all-star exhibit at Adrian College Sunday. Incredible facility. Would love to see something like that in the Carter practice field. Plenty of room there to move baseball, soccer and softball back to main campus. Those kids playing on partial scholarships deserve some nice facilities as well. Maybe a nice Fiesta Bowl payday would do the trick!
10-07-2015 10:47 AM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

(10-07-2015 10:47 AM)UTLAW Wrote:  Love the fact that she is in favor of bringing baseball, softball and soccer back to main campus. Toledo's baseball facilities are a disgrace. My son played in an baseball all-star exhibit at Adrian College Sunday. Incredible facility. Would love to see something like that in the Carter practice field. Plenty of room there to move baseball, soccer and softball back to main campus. Those kids playing on partial scholarships deserve some nice facilities as well. Maybe a nice Fiesta Bowl payday would do the trick!

+1 04-cheers
10-07-2015 10:58 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

She made reference to moving the sports back on campus when she visited Fort Wayne. she also stressed the importance of giving on ANY level. Both the university and the athletic department could benefit from such gifts
10-07-2015 11:41 AM
1st String

(10-07-2015 11:41 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  She made reference to moving the sports back on campus when she visited Fort Wayne. she also stressed the importance of giving on ANY level. Both the university and the athletic department could benefit from such gifts

UT has a company helping them review all of their facilities and land to make a long term strategic plan for the best utilization and cost savings. It said that UT would make moves along the way if they made sense even before the plan was finalized. My sense is that this certainly spells the end of Scott Park as we know it. If a new alumni center is build you can almost bet that a great deal of what is at Scott Park can be moved into the current alumni building. The east side of the Glass Bowl is going to have an athletic training table for all athletes to eat. Again one more reason to consolidate energies on the main campus and the medical campus. My sense is the Fine Arts campus will remain because it makes a lot of sense there. Lake Erie as well with so much emphasis on Lake Erie and the water quality as well.
10-07-2015 11:53 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Smaller class size, better trained and innovated instruction and identifying research areas in which the University can vault their closest competitors with more research Professors would IMO be best way to spend dollars. They can spread money across the University, giving everyone a feel or they can target strengths in which they have little opportunity to vault over other universities or they can target areas that even slight improvement would raise the school's profile. It's the latter, which gets most bang for the buck. Going from second best to best or 20th to 19th even is very expensive. Raising a research area of potential from 200th to 150th, not so much and adds more to the University rating.
10-07-2015 03:25 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-07-2015 10:47 AM)UTLAW Wrote:  Love the fact that she is in favor of bringing baseball, softball and soccer back to main campus. Toledo's baseball facilities are a disgrace. My son played in an baseball all-star exhibit at Adrian College Sunday. Incredible facility. Would love to see something like that in the Carter practice field. Plenty of room there to move baseball, soccer and softball back to main campus. Those kids playing on partial scholarships deserve some nice facilities as well. Maybe a nice Fiesta Bowl payday would do the trick!

If all of those sports move to Carter Field and the Carter Hall footprint, the football team will not have a grass practice field.
10-07-2015 04:01 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-07-2015 04:01 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

If all of those sports move to Carter Field and the Carter Hall footprint, the football team will not have a grass practice field.

Was hoping you were wrong but looking at the satellite map, an area similar to what is used for sports at Scott would take up everything south of the SRC and east of the gazebo, including the sub-station. But that does include what looks like four diamonds maybe for community ball? Not sure a force fit is a quality fit but if those diamonds are not part of UT's need, maybe it would work and still keep the grass field for summer activities and football.
10-07-2015 04:33 PM
UTLAW Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-07-2015 04:33 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Was hoping you were wrong but looking at the satellite map, an area similar to what is used for sports at Scott would take up everything south of the SRC and east of the gazebo, including the sub-station. But that does include what looks like four diamonds maybe for community ball? Not sure a force fit is a quality fit but if those diamonds are not part of UT's need, maybe it would work and still keep the grass field for summer activities and football.

Back in the mid nineties we played rec league hardball on one of the diamonds. I can't see why we would need more than one baseball and one softball field, as there is no need for separate practice fields.
10-07-2015 05:29 PM
1st String

The grass field was pre indoor. As Campbell said its about all sports not just football. Now we have indoor so the grass field isn't a deal breaker. Maybe soccer can take that over?
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 09:50 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
10-07-2015 06:32 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I like her! And I'm really looking forward to another renovation to the Glass Bowl come this spring.
10-07-2015 10:50 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets

There is the grass field inside the track
10-08-2015 08:36 AM
42 of Blue Crew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(10-08-2015 08:36 AM)Terry Wrote:  

The grass field inside the track would require a bit of maintenance to be used for football. In it's current state it is an injury waiting to happen. There are several holes, divots, hard spots, bumpy areas on the track field.
10-08-2015 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indianasniff Offline
All American

Kent State did a recent project for ideas
http://ksubuildingchampions.com/schoonover-complex/
Soccer could renovate the field inside of the track that could make a cool setting

The kent state link gives a good idea about footprint required for baseball / softball
10-08-2015 08:48 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-08-2015 08:48 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Soccer could renovate the field inside of the track that could make a cool setting

BLASPHEMER!
10-08-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

Gaber outlines plans for athletics
(10-08-2015 08:59 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 08:48 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Soccer could renovate the field inside of the track that could make a cool setting

BLASPHEMER!

Not sure I follow

I am not much of a soccer guy but if they are moving them on campus and space is a premium it does make some sense to combine the facilities. Looking at our track it would take some adjustments to some of the shot and vault pits but does not look insurmountable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-08-2015 09:08 AM
1st String

(10-08-2015 08:48 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Kent State did a recent project for ideas
http://ksubuildingchampions.com/schoonover-complex/
Soccer could renovate the field inside of the track that could make a cool setting

The kent state link gives a good idea about footprint required for baseball / softball

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Then all you need is room for baseball and softball.
10-08-2015 09:47 AM
1st String

(10-08-2015 08:36 AM)Terry Wrote:  

04-cheers
10-08-2015 09:51 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-08-2015 09:08 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 08:59 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

BLASPHEMER!

Not sure I follow

I am not much of a soccer guy but if they are moving them on campus and space is a premium it does make some sense to combine the facilities. Looking at our track it would take some adjustments to some of the shot and vault pits but does not look insurmountable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, combining makes sense. Put them in the Glass Bowl. Can't have other sports sullying the track. 03-wink. (I ran track)
10-08-2015 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.