ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blaine Taylor
Bpar73 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU
Blaine Taylor
He's scheduled to be the guest on Tony Mercurio's new radio show on 1490 AM at 3:00 pm today. I know, I know, it's the Blastman, but it's not like Blaine has given a ton of interviews since being fired. This at least has the potential to be good.
10-05-2015 01:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Blaine Taylor
Did you listen? what did he say?
10-05-2015 03:26 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

.........and?
10-05-2015 03:31 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Not much. They talked all about what Blaine does now as a color guy. Nothing of substance. No analyzing the ODU team or any other team. Now, I remember why Tony's interviews were the worst.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 04:05 PM by ODUCoach.)
10-05-2015 04:05 PM
Bpar73 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-05-2015 04:05 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Not much. They talked all about what Blaine does now as a color guy. Nothing of substance. No analyzing the ODU team or any other team. Now, I remember why Tony's interviews were the worst.

It was pretty lame. You could tell Blaine was leaving the door open for Tony to ask some questions about the elephant in the room, but alas, it was basically just Tony asking Blaine about being a broadcaster now.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 04:14 PM by Bpar73.)
10-05-2015 04:13 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(10-05-2015 04:13 PM)Bpar73 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 04:05 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Not much. They talked all about what Blaine does now as a color guy. Nothing of substance. No analyzing the ODU team or any other team. Now, I remember why Tony's interviews were the worst.

It was pretty lame. You could tell Blaine was leaving the door open for Tony to ask some questions about the elephant in the room, but alas, it was basically just Tony asking Blaine about being a broadcaster now.

Why would Blaine want to answer questions about Tony?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 04:45 PM by paintedblue2.)
10-05-2015 04:42 PM
Advertisement

The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

Blaine mentioned that he will be broadcasting A-10 basketball games this year and is hoping to be picked up by CBS for some games. He also holds out hope for some ASN telecasts (he gave props to ASN as a growing national network). He also thanked Al Coken for helping him in his broadcasting start. When asked if he would coach again he said "I'm 57 years and in good health so you never know". He sounded like he was enjoying life. Happy for him.
10-05-2015 04:43 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

I am happy for him now that he seems like he's gotten his life together. Looking back....in a strange way it was almost worth the meltdown. He had to sober up and get healthy and we got Jones, and a bunch of Stiths!!
10-05-2015 04:53 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I too, am happy for Blaine. Whatever it is he is doing I hope he sticks with it and has a great life. Like Homselr, I think it turned out to be a win-win for both he and the program.
10-05-2015 04:59 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Blaine Taylor
I'm happy for Blaine, too. I want to see him succeed and if he gets back into coaching, I'll root like heck for him. As for the interview, it's the first day of practice, you'd think that a sports radio host would ask a color analyst something about what to expect on the court this year.
10-05-2015 05:17 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-05-2015 05:17 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I'm happy for Blaine, too. I want to see him succeed and if he gets back into coaching, I'll root like heck for him. As for the interview, it's the first day of practice, you'd think that a sports radio host would ask a color analyst something about what to expect on the court this year.

Spaghetti and meatballs? 03-lmfao
10-05-2015 05:18 PM
Advertisement

The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

In a number of respects Blaine and OUR SCHOOL have a lot in common. Both are blue collar, work hard, play hard (yes, sometimes to excess), and have to earn respect more than maybe some 'blue bloods' do. He accomplished a lot while he was OUR COACH and I'd like to think that he moved us up several rungs on the D1 ladder. I agree with Homeseller on this one. While Blaine and OUR SCHOOL suffered some hard knocks and lessons learned, all seem to have turned out better for the wear. Let's support Jeff and have a great basketball season. This can be a really special year!

BTW, several other threads have contained some negativity about OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM. While frustrating and at times embarrassing, let's all reflect on how far we have come, take this week to be thankful for all that we have, mend fences where appropriate, and kick the hell out of Charlotte!

Peace out...
10-05-2015 05:19 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
I hope all of the best for Blaine as I believe he deserves it. 03-thumbsup

I also hope that TM gets all of the spaghetti and meatballs he ever wants. 05-stirthepot
10-05-2015 07:53 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

So for those of you who heard the show, has Mercurio changed at all in his delivery or attitude, or is it the same ol' Tony Baloney that we've come to know and ... know?
10-05-2015 08:13 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2015 08:13 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  So for those of you who heard the show, has Mercurio changed at all in his delivery or attitude, or is it the same ol' Tony Baloney that we've come to know and ... know?

I didn't bother to listen to the show, but I am confident that I can sum it up in a BT-approved platitude:

"ALL FAT, NO DISCOURSE"
10-05-2015 08:21 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

Blaine Taylor
Haha tony needs to go away for good.
10-05-2015 08:44 PM
Advertisement

The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

His guests were several of his traditionals, Ken Young and George Allen. He's still dismissive to callers who either don't ask questions in one of his interest areas (St. Louis Cardinals, JMU Dukes, sports betting/handicapping, or women's basketball) or try to put Tony on the hot seat (as was done today when a caller essentially questioned him on the timing of the release of his weekly football picks). Tony also kept repeating that our football game with Charlotte was this weekend vice next weekend and made several references to our bad offense. Other than that, Tony is a new man...
10-05-2015 08:48 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(10-05-2015 04:42 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 04:13 PM)Bpar73 Wrote:  

Why would Blaine want to answer questions about Tony?

I see what you did there. 03-lmfao
In all seriousness, I wish the best for Blaine. I really like him as a commentator and I hope it continues to work out well for him and he continues on his path of health. I really like him. I hate what he did to the guys on the team, but I think he is a good guy with some serious demons. I hope he continues to keep them under control.
10-05-2015 08:49 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(10-05-2015 08:48 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  His guests were several of his traditionals, Ken Young and George Allen. He's still dismissive to callers who either don't ask questions in one of his interest areas (St. Louis Cardinals, JMU Dukes, sports betting/handicapping, or women's basketball) or try to put Tony on the hot seat (as was done today when a caller essentially questioned him on the timing of the release of his weekly football picks). Tony also kept repeating that our football game with Charlotte was this weekend vice next weekend and made several references to our bad offense. Other than that, Tony is a new man...

I have to say, I have really missed some of Tony's guests. I always liked hearing what Phil Steele, the guy from Ourlads, Boo Williams (even though I felt like I needed subtitles), and even Mike Schickman had to say. Schickman generally gave ODU a lot more praise than Tony.
10-05-2015 08:54 PM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

Blaine Taylor
I'll take Tony over Cattles any day.
10-05-2015 09:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.