Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dear Coach Carey
Bookmark and Share
dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
Dear Coach Carey
Please stop screaming and yelling at every official and every player who makes a perceived mistake. This is not how effective leaders get the job done, you're a football coach, not a 4 year old.

Please analyze your current pace of play on offense, faster appears better than slower.

Please look at #22 average yards per touch, hint...it's pretty good.

Please stop taking #28 out in situations where you want to pound it in, see drive at end of 2nd half where huff got carries on 1st and 2nd down

Please go back again and look at how much more effective your fast paced offense is compared to your slow paced offense, seriously, it's pretty obvious how much better you are when you go fast.

Please accept that Drew is not having a great season so far, but punishing his mistakes as you did in the last game hurts you much worse than coaching, not yelling, your way through the rough patches.

Please take better note of when players commit multiple penalties in a game, substitute accordingly.

Again, please stop yelling all day, when all you do is yell, people just tune you out, read any leadership book.

Good luck next week, I'll be cheering for you!!!
10-04-2015 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Dear Coach Carey
I have to say, when Doeren was here and someone made a mistake, he seemed to offer words of encouragement more than anything. Otherwise, players are thinking about their mistake for a whole bunch of plays instead of concentrating on the next play. And we won MACCs both years.
10-04-2015 09:44 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

(10-04-2015 03:51 PM)dpgohuskies Wrote:  Please stop screaming and yelling at every official and every player who makes a perceived mistake. This is not how effective leaders get the job done, you're a football coach, not a 4 year old.

01-wingedeagle

You don't watch much football, do you?
10-05-2015 06:20 AM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

dpgo--

Solid post. I didn't see the game this weekend, but do agree that some of the yelling could be counterproductive.

I would give a little leeway in that this is his first losing streak of any significance and he is still quite young as a coach. However, the coaching profession has been around for a long, long time and there are certainly productive ways to "yell" at either officials and/or players.

The few times I have been close enought to observe, he is over the top with the officials, thinking that the Huskies NEVER get a call. Jerry Kill was the same way.

I find it very hard to win 50+ games in five years without EVER getting a call. Those things really do even out, all you really have to do is watch a game with a little objectivity.

For about the 350th time, things again should come down to the Toledo as things always take care of themselves. That being said, I think it is time to really, really, really recruit a quarterback now----we are dangerously close to flipping our record if we don't find one that can step in.
10-05-2015 08:58 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(10-05-2015 08:58 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  dpgo--

Solid post. I didn't see the game this weekend, but do agree that some of the yelling could be counterproductive.

I would give a little leeway in that this is his first losing streak of any significance and he is still quite young as a coach. However, the coaching profession has been around for a long, long time and there are certainly productive ways to "yell" at either officials and/or players.

The few times I have been close enought to observe, he is over the top with the officials, thinking that the Huskies NEVER get a call. Jerry Kill was the same way.

I find it very hard to win 50+ games in five years without EVER getting a call. Those things really do even out, all you really have to do is watch a game with a little objectivity.

For about the 350th time, things again should come down to the Toledo as things always take care of themselves. That being said, I think it is time to really, really, really recruit a quarterback now----we are dangerously close to flipping our record if we don't find one that can step in.

I will say this is the first time in a while where I saw an opposing team have only 1 penalty the entire game. Maybe I've been clueless in the past, but can't recall that happening in a long time.
10-05-2015 01:18 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(10-05-2015 01:18 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  

I will say this is the first time in a while where I saw an opposing team have only 1 penalty the entire game. Maybe I've been clueless in the past, but can't recall that happening in a long time.

The refs were too busy looking at us.
10-05-2015 01:22 PM
Advertisement

dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

(10-05-2015 06:20 AM)niubrad00 Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 03:51 PM)dpgohuskies Wrote:  Please stop screaming and yelling at every official and every player who makes a perceived mistake. This is not how effective leaders get the job done, you're a football coach, not a 4 year old.

01-wingedeagle

You don't watch much football, do you?

actually I watch a lot of football, in person and on television, and yes, there are "great" coaches who never yell at all, losing your composure is not productive
10-05-2015 04:37 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2015 01:18 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  

Not something you tend to notice unless it's extremely one-sided.

An example would be the 2012 MACC as KSU was able to play not just 4 quarters, but a double overtime game without committing a penalty. (NIU had 8 called on them.)

I've never yelled, "HE"S HOLDING" so much at a game.
10-05-2015 04:55 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

Please analyze your current pace of play on offense, faster appears better than slower.

Please stop taking #28 out in situations where you want to pound it in, see drive at end of 2nd half where huff got carries on 1st and 2nd down

Please go back again and look at how much more effective your fast paced offense is compared to your slow paced offense, seriously, it's pretty obvious how much better you are when you go fast.

Please accept that Drew is not having a great season so far, but punishing his mistakes as you did in the last game hurts you much worse than coaching, not yelling, your way through the rough patches.

Please take better note of when players commit multiple penalties in a game, substitute accordingly.

Again, please stop yelling all day, when all you do is yell, people just tune you out, read any leadership book.

The only time I have seen carey get in someones face and yell was after repeated mistakes by the same individual..I have seen numerous times where he puts his hand on the kids shoulder and it talking very calmly after an error.

Further different individuals require different tactics for motivation..no one should ever be demeaned, but with some a loud stern voice is better that a soft "go get em next time"
10-06-2015 11:55 AM
dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

Re: RE: Dear Coach Carey
(10-06-2015 11:55 AM)BobL Wrote:  

The only time I have seen carey get in someones face and yell was after repeated mistakes by the same individual..I have seen numerous times where he puts his hand on the kids shoulder and it talking very calmly after an error.

Further different individuals require different tactics for motivation..no one should ever be demeaned, but with some a loud stern voice is better that a soft "go get em next time"

Sorry but I've seen it, in person and on TV, he's a one trick pony, if yelling doesn't get it done he's got nothing else, hopefully practice is different than game day.
10-06-2015 12:51 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

dpgo----i agree with you a little more...I've had the chance to be on the sidelines a few times and let me say this--he is very direct and there is no filter towards referees. I not sure if the linesmen switching sides at halftime has anything to do with this, but there is no "playing the ref, lobbying for the next call."

As for players, he picks his moments----to be calm, not the other way around. Lineman that miss assignments or gaps are most suspect to extreme scrutiny. He has very little tolerance to mistakes in line play.

All in all, not how I would expect a coach that is nearly 20 games over .500 in a two plus seasons to act, but to each his own.

Time to get back on track.
10-06-2015 05:24 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(10-06-2015 05:24 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  dpgo----i agree with you a little more...I've had the chance to be on the sidelines a few times and let me say this--he is very direct and there is no filter towards referees. I not sure if the linesmen switching sides at halftime has anything to do with this, but there is no "playing the ref, lobbying for the next call."

As for players, he picks his moments----to be calm, not the other way around. Lineman that miss assignments or gaps are most suspect to extreme scrutiny. He has very little tolerance to mistakes in line play.

All in all, not how I would expect a coach that is nearly 20 games over .500 in a two plus seasons to act, but to each his own.

Time to get back on track.

I think what comes across so bad is that when Carey verbally abuses players its normally after a play in which the whole world and the player know what happened. It does not come off as a teachable moment in that scenario.
10-06-2015 06:06 PM
dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

Most likely not going to change, most adult men don't revert from their normal behavior without some catalyst for change, it's science.

Hopefully this week we see little to no o-line pre-snap penalties and a more up tempo pace.
10-06-2015 07:38 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
If an animated coach is winning he is lauded for his "intensity."

If he is losing he is criticized for being abusive or out of control.

Same behavior.
10-07-2015 07:11 AM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

Hoople--

I don't think coach was ever lauded for his "intensity" while winning----he is just as vocal then, and as I have posted, very direct to refs--even in wins. I'm open to giving him a little leeway on players, but do agree with dpgo that it is over the top at times.....and to what MaddDawg posted---it's glaringly obvious in scenarios where those in the upper rows can see it, after obvious situations.

I can be swayed either way, especially since this is his first coaching job, but coaching has been a profession for a long, long time and there are probably more effective ways to work refs.

To paraphrase something someone repeated from Coach Caray, 'your football team is based on two things: your health and your quarterback.' Right now, I would say our health is probably on par with the norm, but our quarterback play has flat out stunk the past three weeks. Of course, we are not only comparing our quarterback play to what we see on the field, we are also, inherently, comparing it to Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch.
10-07-2015 07:31 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(10-07-2015 07:11 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  If an animated coach is winning he is lauded for his "intensity."

Same behavior.

and when you lose it due to bad coaching but a win is due to great play.
10-07-2015 08:02 AM
Advertisement

dpgohuskies Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2015 07:11 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  If an animated coach is winning he is lauded for his "intensity."

Same behavior.

(10-07-2015 08:02 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

Same behavior.

and when you lose it due to bad coaching but a win is due to great play.

I agree winning fixes a lot for most people - hopefully Coach proves me wrong - I want to be wrong - for us to win and him to lead us out of the hole we're in.
10-07-2015 04:30 PM
NIUpride Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Huskies
Dear Coach Carey
Drew Hare MAC West Player of week after pointed feedback from Dear Coach Carey. We don't know if he would of corrected without the feedback. My view is coach set standards and expectations and must consistently communicate through all means available.
10-13-2015 12:37 AM
MissionFan73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Huskies
Statement from my then-10-year-old son about his PeeWee coach:
"I don't care how much he yells, as long as we win."
10-13-2015 01:55 AM
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-13-2015 12:37 AM)NIUpride Wrote:  Drew Hare MAC West Player of week after pointed feedback from Dear Coach Carey. We don't know if he would of corrected without the feedback. My view is coach set standards and expectations and must consistently communicate through all means available.

OMG. Do you really think the coaches read and react to these posts?
Get over yourselves. They don't.
10-13-2015 06:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.