Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Roseburg, Ravens, and Steelers
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
This morning during "Pat Down" duty, the topic of discussion among law enforcement and faculty was not the shooting in Roseburg but the Ravens ans Steelers game.

And so this is what America has become. A place where mass shootings are seemingly routine and not even talked about anymore. Even in a school where we regularly deal with students who have criminal records and may even have been arrested for bringing weapons to school.

This marks the 10th mass shooting this year and the 45th school shooting in 2015.

There has been a mass shooting every week in America since 2013.

But that was a heck of a game last night wasn't it?
10-02-2015 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Roseburg, Ravens, and Steelers
(10-02-2015 09:37 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  This morning during "Pat Down" duty, the topic of discussion among law enforcement and faculty was not the shooting in Roseburg but the Ravens ans Steelers game.

And so this is what America has become. A place where mass shootings are seemingly routine and not even talked about anymore. Even in a school where we regularly deal with students who have criminal records and may even have been arrested for bringing weapons to school.

This marks the 10th mass shooting this year and the 45th school shooting in 2015.

Ummmm.... they get MASSIVE amounts of coverage.

I can tell you it is most certainly not the conservative right that has made Kanye & the Kardashians more important than issues regarding national security/etc.
10-02-2015 09:45 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 09:45 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 09:37 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  This morning during "Pat Down" duty, the topic of discussion among law enforcement and faculty was not the shooting in Roseburg but the Ravens ans Steelers game.

I can tell you it is most certainly not the conservative right that has made Kanye & the Kardashians more important than issues regarding national security/etc.

Of course it's being covered. This thread isn't about the media or television.

This thread is about how this has become routine in America and it is reflected in the way that people are acting at least in my opinion. The talk around the water cooler today has been the football game and not the mass shooting.

But as I said before, there has been a mass shooting in America every week since 2013. Football only comes 16 weeks a year.
10-02-2015 09:49 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-02-2015 09:49 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

This thread is about how this has become routine in America and it is reflected in the way that people are acting at least in my opinion. The talk around the water cooler today has been the football game and not the mass shooting.

But as I said before, there has been a mass shooting in America every week since 2013. Football only comes 16 weeks a year.

One person dies from drunk driving every 52 minutes. Seven people die a day in fires. How often are you discussing those issues?
10-02-2015 09:56 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 09:56 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

One person dies from drunk driving every 52 minutes. Seven people die a day in fires. How often are you discussing those issues?

This thread is about mass shootings. You're comparing apples and oranges.
10-02-2015 10:00 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
It's kind of like the NIMBY syndrome, or whatever it is. Unless it's happening to you or someone close to you, or in your community, it just doesn't register quite the same.

I guess it's human nature, or whatever human nature is evolving into.
10-02-2015 10:03 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-02-2015 10:00 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 09:56 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

This thread is about mass shootings. You're comparing apples and oranges.

So some deaths are more important than others?

You really should think out your troll threads before you post because you've had your ass handed to you for their ignorance multiple times the past few days.
10-02-2015 10:06 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 10:03 AM)gsu95 Wrote:  It's kind of like the NIMBY syndrome, or whatever it is. Unless it's happening to you or someone close to you, or in your community, it just doesn't register quite the same.

I disagree. When Columbine happened, I remember we talked about it for weeks. People were looking for someone to blame. I even remember people trying to blame Marilyn Manson for it. But now, it's not even a topic of discussion in a school among law enforcement and administration. It's sad.
10-02-2015 10:06 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(10-02-2015 10:06 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 10:03 AM)gsu95 Wrote:  It's kind of like the NIMBY syndrome, or whatever it is. Unless it's happening to you or someone close to you, or in your community, it just doesn't register quite the same.

I disagree. When Columbine happened, I remember we talked about it for weeks. People were looking for someone to blame. I even remember people trying to blame Marilyn Manson for it. But now, it's not even a topic of discussion in a school among law enforcement and administration. It's sad.

I don't disagree with that and I find it sad as well. Add in that we've become numb to this sort of thing, and I still think there's a NIMBY effect going on. I suspect had it happened in your community or to someone close to the school and law enforcement community you're referring to and it definitely would've been a topic of conversation.

I just don't know how to fix it. You can't trust some people with weapons, just like you can't trust some with cars or credit cards or to raise kids. Hell, I knew guys in the Army we didn't want carrying live rounds because they were screwups and we'd give somebody else their magazines or make sure they were closely watched.

Why people think everybody should have access to an assault weapon is beyond me.
10-02-2015 10:36 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(10-02-2015 10:06 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  But now, it's not even a topic of discussion in a school among law enforcement and administration. It's sad.

Then why didn't you demand that your colleagues talk about the event? If you are not part of the solution you want, then you are part of the problem you despise.

Or maybe, the reality is that gun-control advocates tie themselves into such knots to avoid actually making a difference and rarely do anything active to help prevent firearm related deaths that it is actually easier not to talk about it?

(But at least they signed that climate change petition, argued for abortion rights on the internet, and clucked about the guy down the street who has a Confederate flag sticker on his truck.)
10-02-2015 10:48 AM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Stop calling gang shootings mass shootings and there have not been mass shootings every week
10-02-2015 10:52 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 10:48 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 10:06 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  But now, it's not even a topic of discussion in a school among law enforcement and administration. It's sad.

Then why didn't you demand that your colleagues talk about the event? If you are not part of the solution you want, then you are part of the problem you despise.

Or maybe, the reality is that gun-control advocates tie themselves into such knots to avoid actually making a difference and rarely do anything active to help prevent firearm related deaths that it is actually easier not to talk about it?

(But at least they signed that climate change petition, argued for abortion rights on the internet, and clucked about the guy down the street who has a Confederate flag sticker on his truck.)

It didn't even occur to me that we weren't talking about it until I went to my classroom and turned on the radio. I briefly forgot that the incident took place.

As for making a difference? I started my morning patting down students precisely to prevent something like a school shooting from occurring. So your suggestion that gun control advocates like myself don't do anything to prevent this from happening is laughable.
10-02-2015 11:22 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(10-02-2015 11:22 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  As for making a difference? I started my morning patting down students precisely to prevent something like a school shooting from occurring. So your suggestion that gun control advocates like myself don't do anything to prevent this from happening is laughable.

I am not familiar with "morning patting down." Does this mean you literally pat down students for weapons and contraband?
10-02-2015 12:39 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-02-2015 09:37 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  This marks the 10th mass shooting this year and the 45th school shooting in 2015.

These two sentences directly conflict each other. If there's been a mass shooting every week since 2013, then there should have been 40 mass shootings this year...
10-02-2015 12:45 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Consider the source. He's an "educator".
10-02-2015 12:55 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 11:22 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  As for making a difference? I started my morning patting down students precisely to prevent something like a school shooting from occurring. So your suggestion that gun control advocates like myself don't do anything to prevent this from happening is laughable.

I am not familiar with "morning patting down." Does this mean you literally pat down students for weapons and contraband?

Yes.
10-02-2015 12:57 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
That football game was interesting.
10-02-2015 12:57 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(10-02-2015 12:57 PM)fsquid Wrote:  That football game was interesting.

I must admit that when I finally got to sitting down and watching TV, I tuned into the game and not the news.
10-02-2015 01:14 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(10-02-2015 12:57 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

Yes.

This doesn't make sense to me. Isn't your school already a gun free zone?
10-02-2015 01:38 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Football is the modern opiate of the masses.

Every Sunday I see 40-year old men wearing face/body paint and lose a bit of faith in humanity in the process.
10-02-2015 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.