Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio (3-1) @ Akron (2-2)
Bookmark and Share
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Ohio (3-1) @ Akron (2-2)
The Ohio University Bobcats are traveling north to InfoCision Stadium to take on The University of Akron Zips. Game kicks off at 2 P.M. and should be broadcast on ESPN3 for all those interested.

Ohio currently holds a seven game win streak against Akron. Any thoughts on that streak extending to eight?
10-01-2015 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron Zips
RE: Ohio (3-1) @ Akron (2-2)
It'll be up to the Zips. Bobcats need their help in order to win.
10-01-2015 09:48 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

(10-01-2015 09:48 PM)Zipfanatik Wrote:  It'll be up to the Zips. Bobcats need their help in order to win.

in what way?
10-02-2015 08:55 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

(10-01-2015 09:48 PM)Zipfanatik Wrote:  It'll be up to the Zips. Bobcats need their help in order to win.

I like Ohio in this match up. Sure, the Zips might have found a starting QB in Thomas Woodson but I don't think he's been tested yet. Sure, the Zips put up 52 against FCS Savannah State, but keep in mind they're an FCS team that posted an impressive 3-43 record over the last 4 seasons.
10-02-2015 10:47 AM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron
(10-02-2015 10:47 AM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  

I like Ohio in this match up. Sure, the Zips might have found a starting QB in Thomas Woodson but I don't think he's been tested yet. Sure, the Zips put up 52 against FCS Savannah State, but keep in mind they're an FCS team that posted an impressive 3-43 record over the last 4 seasons.

You left out the 35 he helped put up the following week in a drubbing of Louisiana on the road.

If Woodson plays well again this week, I'll take the Zips. The last two weeks have been a dramatic a turnaround as I've seen.

The defense has been good all year, but you can only do so much when an anemic offense (led by the poorest QB imaginable) is going three and out, or turning the ball over, on what seemed to be 90 percent of their possessions. At least Woodson is getting this offense moving, and even of a drive doesn't result in points, it gives the defense a chance to rest and puts them in better field position.

Ohio looks very good this year, so it should be close even if Woodson plays well. While I disagree that Woodson hasn't been tested, but I will say he isn't proven. If he and the offense struggle, it will be another long day.
10-02-2015 12:22 PM
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(10-02-2015 08:55 AM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  

in what way?

Could be any excessive combination of turnovers, penalties, missed kicks, blown assignments, dropped passes, etc.
10-02-2015 06:01 PM
Advertisement

OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Bobcats won 14-12 tough defensive struggle. Ohio decision to risk a pass with the backup QB throwing a pick in the endzone early second half almost cost them the game. Got to wonder what the offensive coaching staff for Ohio was thinking at that point. Even a field goal would have been huge there. Ohio was fortunate Akron couldn't finish their drives and settled for field goals. Seems Ohio gets a lead every week and comes out of halftime and forgets that they got a couple real good backs to run the football with. Instead they get too cute with the playbook and get away from that great running game and fail to score much in the second half of games.
10-03-2015 10:25 PM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron
(10-03-2015 10:25 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Bobcats won 14-12 tough defensive struggle. Ohio decision to risk a pass with the backup QB throwing a pick in the endzone early second half almost cost them the game. Got to wonder what the offensive coaching staff for Ohio was thinking at that point. Even a field goal would have been huge there. Ohio was fortunate Akron couldn't finish their drives and settled for field goals. Seems Ohio gets a lead every week and comes out of halftime and forgets that they got a couple real good backs to run the football with. Instead they get too cute with the playbook and get away from that great running game and fail to score much in the second half of games.

I understand the logic of going for the TD on the play that was picked. It's not like Ohio's offense was clicking and they got the ball on a short field off an Akron pick. They score there and they go up 21-6, and OU was inside the Akron 10 anyway.

The game ended up about how I expected. Akron's offense was good enough to keep the Zips defense in plus position, but just not good enough to put the ball on the end zone.

Akron still probably has the best defense in the league, but until the offense can put up some points, more games like this (or Pitt) are to be expected.
10-03-2015 11:21 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
Ohio needs Sprague to get healthy so they can give Vick a week or two off to get his foot healthy.
10-05-2015 09:07 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-03-2015 11:21 PM)Wadszip Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 10:25 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Bobcats won 14-12 tough defensive struggle. Ohio decision to risk a pass with the backup QB throwing a pick in the endzone early second half almost cost them the game. Got to wonder what the offensive coaching staff for Ohio was thinking at that point. Even a field goal would have been huge there. Ohio was fortunate Akron couldn't finish their drives and settled for field goals. Seems Ohio gets a lead every week and comes out of halftime and forgets that they got a couple real good backs to run the football with. Instead they get too cute with the playbook and get away from that great running game and fail to score much in the second half of games.

I understand the logic of going for the TD on the play that was picked. It's not like Ohio's offense was clicking and they got the ball on a short field off an Akron pick. They score there and they go up 21-6, and OU was inside the Akron 10 anyway.

The game ended up about how I expected. Akron's offense was good enough to keep the Zips defense in plus position, but just not good enough to put the ball on the end zone.

Akron still probably has the best defense in the league, but until the offense can put up some points, more games like this (or Pitt) are to be expected.

Id be down for a stat comparison between Kent and Akron and Toledo... That's a bold statement for a conference with emerging D's.
10-06-2015 09:40 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent - 6
Akron - 25
CMU - 27
NIU - 44
Ohio - 45
Tol - 57
Buff - 85
WMU - 98
Miami - 102
UMass - 112
BSU - 113
BGSU - 114
EMU - 117

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...team/22/p3
10-06-2015 10:55 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
To break it down further among the three teams in question:

MAC rankings

Total Defense
1. KSU
2. Akron
6. Toledo

Rush Def.
1. Toledo
2. KSU
3. Akron

Pass Def.
3. KSU
8. Akron
12. Toledo

Pass Def. Efficiency
1. KSU
6. Toledo
8. Akron

INT.
1. KSU
6. Akron
8. Toledo

Sacks
1. KSU
2. Akron
3. Toledo

Scoring Def.
1. Toledo
3. Akron
7. KSU

Opp. 3rd Down Conv.
1. KSU
6. Akron
7. Toledo

On the broadcast Saturday, it was pointed out the KSU led the conference in a bunch of defensive categories including overall defense and were ranked top 10 nationally in several.

So unless you are being totally subjective, KSU has the #1 defense in the MAC so far. Let's not talk about offense.
10-06-2015 11:13 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Points against: (This isn't technically a defensive stat. Lots of things factor such as TOP, and special teams points given up)
1. (4 games) Toledo- 52
3. (5 games) Akron- 102
7. (5 games) Kent- 125

Defensive efficiency: http://espn.go.com/college-football/stat...efficiency
(13) 1. Toledo- 79.7
(30) 2. Kent State- 70.4
(57) 3. Akron- 60.4

SOS: Sagarin
(54) 6. Toledo
(81) 8. Akron
(120) 12. Kent State

SOS: Massey
(45) Toledo
(95) Akron
(112) Kent

DEF: Massey
36. Toledo
53. Akron
75. Kent
10-06-2015 12:55 PM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(10-06-2015 11:13 AM)axeme Wrote:  To break it down further among the three teams in question:

MAC rankings

Total Defense
1. KSU
2. Akron
6. Toledo

Rush Def.
1. Toledo
2. KSU
3. Akron

Pass Def.
3. KSU
8. Akron
12. Toledo

Pass Def. Efficiency
1. KSU
6. Toledo
8. Akron

INT.
1. KSU
6. Akron
8. Toledo

Sacks
1. KSU
2. Akron
3. Toledo

Scoring Def.
1. Toledo
3. Akron
7. KSU

Opp. 3rd Down Conv.
1. KSU
6. Akron
7. Toledo

On the broadcast Saturday, it was pointed out the KSU led the conference in a bunch of defensive categories including overall defense and were ranked top 10 nationally in several.

So unless you are being totally subjective, KSU has the #1 defense in the MAC so far. Let's not talk about offense.

This is the only one that really matters!!!
10-06-2015 09:28 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Toledo only has 4 games worth of stats compared to Kent's 5 games. Add in a 5th game and it isn't even close. Also Kent held a team to negative total yards for an entire game. How many times does that happen a year?
10-06-2015 10:58 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2015 10:58 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Toledo only has 4 games worth of stats compared to Kent's 5 games. Add in a 5th game and it isn't even close. Also Kent held a team to negative total yards for an entire game. How many times does that happen a year?

They gave up 52 points in a game also. And have a much weaker schedule than Toledo or Akron for that matter. In the past two games stAte and BSU had 14 rushing yards on 54 carries. BSU entered the UT game the best rushing team in the conference. We held Arkansas to 10 points (intentional safety made it 12). They have scored more than that in every game, including games vs TAMU, TT, and Tennessee.

Holding teams to not many yards is inpressive but its keeping points off the board that leads to victory's. I could care less if we gave up 700 yards all between the 20's but if we are holding teams to under 10 points in the redzone every week... I will take it!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 01:32 AM by UofToledoFans.)
10-07-2015 01:29 AM
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Offline
All American

The points Illinois scored where because of a terrible offense not defense. It wasn't until the 3rd Qtr that they had a scoring drive of over 35 yards. I don't care how good a defense is when the offense is giving up this kind of field position in the first game of the season you wont stop the other team from scoring.

Illinois 1st half Starting drives:
Kent - 38 (punt) TD
Kent - 34 (INT) td
ILL - 10 (punt) punt
Kent - 28 (muffed punt) td
ILL - 20 (punt) punt
Kent - 11 (int) td
ILL - 48 (punt) punt
Kent - 34 (int) td
Kent - 29 (punt) fg

As for schedules Akron - Ill < Okla, Minn > Pitt, Marsh > ULL. Toledo - Ill < Ark, Minn > ISU, Marsh > Ark St.
10-07-2015 02:25 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
I don't even know why people use stats at this point. There has been 1 conference game played at you have teams like CMU/WMU who have played multiple ranked teams which is going to inflate the stats while others played scrubs.
10-07-2015 10:04 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Illinois is not better than Arkansas.... And in any case we gave up 12 not 52.
You can stop now.
10-07-2015 11:28 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

There's an awful lot of talk about Kent and Toledo on a thread about Ohio and Akron...
10-07-2015 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.