Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did Boston even know BC was playing???
Bookmark and Share
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
For those of us partaking in cold beverages at Cityside @ Cleveland Circle (end of Green Line) you would think NIU was the home team. I would say 75% of the maybe 75-100 people in there were wearing red and black, and we even got a let's go Huskies. I know more were across the street at Mary Anne's.

For those not able to attend, I will say no one person in Boston I ran into Fri/early Sat. even knew who or when BC was playing. I didn't see one item of BC merchandise or anything to promote the school downtown, let alone where we got off the train. A few fans were on the train, that's about it. I didn't watch any tv, but I listened to about 3 hrs of sports radio going to and from Maine and all they could do is talk about Tom Brady, how everyone hates him and Boston and some Dexter Manley interview saying Theisman and Matty Ice were better than Brady. Maybe they had something, but to me, it seamed it was the least of their topics.

NIU had maybe 750 maybe a few more from what I saw. There was 30k in attendance (40k+ capacity)on a beautiful day. Less than FSU, but that game wasn't a sellout.

My point is it is hard to infuse college sports in a pro town. I mean BC has likely 1/2 million people in a 15 mile radius. And nothing to say there was a game, even a P5 school around. And many think that Chicago is ready to be overtaken by NIU, when NW can barely get press even now ranked at #17?

Just an observation of what an obstacle it is, what lies ahead. Perhaps it gives some reinforcement of the combination of opponent, conference, rank/winning. Alumni are the key, but they aren't coming back. But in any case, just don't think some MAC titles, a BCS bowl and some more of the same gets NIU to P5 and Chicago.
09-30-2015 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Did Boston even know BC was playing???
You have to have the market cornered, like ohio st does in Columbus

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
09-30-2015 04:18 PM
All American

(09-30-2015 04:18 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  You have to have the market cornered, like ohio st does in Columbus

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

They got the whole State and parts of other in Midwest lol. At least we don't disown our school (at least most of us) like MAC grads do in Ohio and Michigan. They are pathetic.
09-30-2015 04:24 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-30-2015 04:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  ...

NIU had maybe 750 maybe a few more from what I saw. There was 30k in attendance (40k+ capacity)on a beautiful day. Less than FSU, but that game wasn't a sellout.

On the stream is looked more like 15-20k.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 04:30 PM by HuskieJohn.)
09-30-2015 04:30 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
I really think we need to market like crazy in Rockford. It's a decent sized city. Have we saturated that market? I don't think so, but I don't live there. Can those of you who live in Rockford chime in?
09-30-2015 06:31 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
I was stuck in Boston for our 2003 Bama game, could not get anyplace to put it on. CFB is an afterthought at best in NE USA.
09-30-2015 07:53 PM
Advertisement

Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
BC is competing with an NFL team that has played in 6 Super Bowls since 2001(no other Franchise has played in more than 3), an MLB franchise that has won 3 World Series since 2004. The Bruins have played in 2 of the last 5 Stanley Cups.

The BC Men's Ice Hockey team has played in 9 NCAA Frozen Fours since 2000 winning 4. Boston University Men's Ice Hockey team has played in 2 of the last 7 NCAA Frozen Fours, winning 1.

On top of all of that there is Harvard football which draws 15K a year, with the Ivy League tradition.

That's alot of obstacles for BC to build a football fanbase. That would be more than almost any college football program could overcome.
09-30-2015 08:02 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
They have BC and maybe UConn. Midwest has much more going on. I live in Florida, where it is insane.
09-30-2015 09:30 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

I think there was 15 - 20K to start the game, but in the mid-2nd quarter, got up to 30-35, it filled in alright. But it was a beautiful day for football...

As this thread is getting at, attendance is tough in this day and age, no matter where and who (the ones at the very top are the rare exceptions).
09-30-2015 11:10 PM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I grew up in Rockford and the TV stations always did a pretty good job but there's just no buzz even though there are plenty of alumni in town. What I think is needed to create buzz in Rockford is to recruit the top players from there. If we landed VanVleet that would have a been a major get for hoops but he was never going to NIU even though there was a full court press to get him. That was a missed opportunity since our program was basically in shambles. Even though Rockford is a good football town there have been very few players that made impact at the D-I level. If the town produced a top player once in a while and was a star player at NIU that would certainly help but there hasn't been that player.
10-01-2015 12:54 AM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
(09-30-2015 04:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  For those of us partaking in cold beverages at Cityside @ Cleveland Circle (end of Green Line) you would think NIU was the home team. I would say 75% of the maybe 75-100 people in there were wearing red and black, and we even got a let's go Huskies. I know more were across the street at Mary Anne's.

For those not able to attend, I will say no one person in Boston I ran into Fri/early Sat. even knew who or when BC was playing. I didn't see one item of BC merchandise or anything to promote the school downtown, let alone where we got off the train. A few fans were on the train, that's about it. I didn't watch any tv, but I listened to about 3 hrs of sports radio going to and from Maine and all they could do is talk about Tom Brady, how everyone hates him and Boston and some Dexter Manley interview saying Theisman and Matty Ice were better than Brady. Maybe they had something, but to me, it seamed it was the least of their topics.

My point is it is hard to infuse college sports in a pro town. I mean BC has likely 1/2 million people in a 15 mile radius. And nothing to say there was a game, even a P5 school around. And many think that Chicago is ready to be overtaken by NIU, when NW can barely get press even now ranked at #17?

Just an observation of what an obstacle it is, what lies ahead. Perhaps it gives some reinforcement of the combination of opponent, conference, rank/winning. Alumni are the key, but they aren't coming back. But in any case, just don't think some MAC titles, a BCS bowl and some more of the same gets NIU to P5 and Chicago.

Noticed much the same thing. Wore NIU wear all weekend and people kept asking why we were in town.
10-01-2015 03:59 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-01-2015 03:59 AM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  
(09-30-2015 04:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  For those of us partaking in cold beverages at Cityside @ Cleveland Circle (end of Green Line) you would think NIU was the home team. I would say 75% of the maybe 75-100 people in there were wearing red and black, and we even got a let's go Huskies. I know more were across the street at Mary Anne's.

Noticed much the same thing. Wore NIU wear all weekend and people kept asking why we were in town.

I was at a restaurant on the way to, and about an hour away from, Columbus, and the server looked at our NIU gear and asked us where we were headed and what was going on.
10-01-2015 09:12 AM
brandsxb Offline
2nd String

I lived in Boston for two years and never heard anyone mention college teams. It is always the Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and Bruins. Now that BC is in the ACC fewer people follow the team. The only team that would draw a crowd is Notre Dame.
10-01-2015 11:26 AM
All American

(10-01-2015 11:26 AM)brandsxb Wrote:  I lived in Boston for two years and never heard anyone mention college teams. It is always the Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and Bruins. Now that BC is in the ACC fewer people follow the team. The only team that would draw a crowd is Notre Dame.

I bet the ACC move has hurt them attendance wise, especially for football.

And I saw ND is playing them at Fenway. That will boost the Fenway area bar economy lol.
10-01-2015 11:59 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(09-30-2015 07:53 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  I was stuck in Boston for our 2003 Bama game, could not get anyplace to put it on. CFB is an afterthought at best in NE USA.

I can second that.

(09-30-2015 08:02 PM)Policiious Wrote:  BC is competing with an NFL team that has played in 6 Super Bowls since 2001(no other Franchise has played in more than 3), an MLB franchise that has won 3 World Series since 2004. The Bruins have played in 2 of the last 5 Stanley Cups.

The BC Men's Ice Hockey team has played in 9 NCAA Frozen Fours since 2000 winning 4. Boston University Men's Ice Hockey team has played in 2 of the last 7 NCAA Frozen Fours, winning 1.

Sarasota had it right. If the Lions had been to the Super Bowl 6 times since 2001, U of M football would still be sold out.
10-01-2015 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

(09-30-2015 06:31 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I really think we need to market like crazy in Rockford. It's a decent sized city. Have we saturated that market? I don't think so, but I don't live there. Can those of you who live in Rockford chime in?

I work in Rockford and recently noticed the large video billboard at the corner of Perryville and Newburg is advertising NIU. But the message only says "Welcome back Huskies". I'm not sure what that means to Rockford residents but I wish it showed the home football schedule and encouraged people to attend. Seems like a waste of advertising dollars to me.
10-01-2015 01:44 PM
Advertisement

All American

(10-01-2015 01:44 PM)HuskieBowWow Wrote:  
(09-30-2015 06:31 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I really think we need to market like crazy in Rockford. It's a decent sized city. Have we saturated that market? I don't think so, but I don't live there. Can those of you who live in Rockford chime in?

I work in Rockford and recently noticed the large video billboard at the corner of Perryville and Newburg is advertising NIU. But the message only says "Welcome back Huskies". I'm not sure what that means to Rockford residents but I wish it showed the home football schedule and encouraged people to attend. Seems like a waste of advertising dollars to me.

04-jawdrop
10-01-2015 01:52 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I guess that explains why our game was not picked up by that ESPN3.com real tv channel.
10-01-2015 02:57 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Yep, NIU and BC just can't generate the hype of Graceland football. Just out of curiousity I tuned it a few mins of Graceland on college extra and it literally looked like someone was streaming their home video camera. NIU and BC bumped for that, you gotta be bleeping me. Safe to say ESPN college extra......BUST.
10-01-2015 04:22 PM
Ericleeschroeder Offline
2nd String

I live in Rockford. I'm the only person besides my family that I know that's been to a NIU sporting event. People in this town don't realize other places exist.

I've mentioned before that it would be a great idea to advertise on the video billboard near cherryvale mall in the Southeast part of town. From there you're only 30-40 minutes to DeKalb. Rockford does a good job supporting the local hockey team but all other professional sports here have been failures. The Rockford speedway is popular but that's because watching cars go in circles is entertaining to people with very low iq's.
10-02-2015 02:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.