Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nick’s Picks – Week #5
Bookmark and Share
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Nick’s Picks – Week #5
Nicks Picks brings a 37-12 record into week #5 and take note, there are a lot of could-go-either-way kinds of conference games. Therefore, I’ve added “confidence %” meter to those games as there really are a lot of flip-the-coin contests this weekend.

MAC Notes:
• The MAC is coming off another competitive weekend with a 3-10 record in 13 non-conference games. MAC had wins over Big Ten (Purdue) and Sun Belt opponents (Arkansas State and Louisiana). Five of the losses were by a combined 21 points in one score games against Big Ten (Minnesota, Northwestern) ACC (Boston College), Mountain West (Nevada) and Conference USA (Marshall) opponents
• Bowling Green’s 35-28 win at Purdue marked only the third time in MAC history for a MAC program to earn two wins against Big Ten opponents in the same season (Maryland, Purdue). In 2003, Bowling Green had two wins against Big Ten opponents (at Purdue, and vs. Northwestern in the Motor City Bowl), while NIU defeated both Iowa and Purdue on the road during the 2013 season
• Akron’s 35-14 road win at Louisiana marked the program’s 500th victory in school history
• MAC West dominance…
o After 18 crossover games in the 2014 season, the MAC West had a 15-3 advantage over the MAC East Division, which marks the best crossover record in the last seven years.
o Over the previous seven years (2008-2014), the MAC West has had the upper hand in crossover regular season games against the MAC East, winning the head-to-head regular season series in six of the last seven years
o Over the last seven seasons (2008-14), the West holds a 90-36 (.714%) regular season record in crossover games over the East

Nick’s Pick: Ohio 21 – Akron 20
Comment: The Zips have not beaten OU since 2007 and while Akron seems to have found a QB, Solich always seems to have the upper hand in this series…so until otherwise changed, look for a close game and another Bobcat win
Confidence Meter: 75%

Nick’s Pick: UMass 33 – FIU 28
Comment: Call this a gut feeling but after getting hammered by Notre Dame last week I cannot see Coach Mark Whipple letting this team fall to 0-4. I know very little about FIU other than they did upset UCF this year and played Indiana respectfully…which means absolutely nothing
Confidence Meter: 40%

Nick’s Pick: NIU 28 – Central Michigan 21
Comment: One of many huge games to begin conference play as Central looks much stronger than their record indicates and NIU’s offense has been a real mystery; granted that they’ve played two really good defenses in Ohio State & Boston College. After last year’s home loss something tells me that NIU really wants this game as badly as they want to beat Toledo every year. Central is looking at this game to spring their season forward…I predict an instant MAC classic!
Confidence Meter: 45%

Nick’s Pick: Toledo 24 – Ball State 20
Comment: Muncie, IN has been a house of horrors for the Rocket program through the years as twice they came in nationally ranked only to lose to the Cardinals. The Rockets have won just three times in the past 15 seasons at Ball State and this year will be a struggle if they do win again.
Confidence Meter: 30%

Nick’s Pick: BGSU 41 – Buffalo 31
Comment: Get used to it Falcon fans, every win you have this year will be entertaining…look for this game to have as much as 1,000 yards of offense before it ends
Confidence Meter: 80%

Nick’s Pick: Kent State 17 – Miami 13
Comment: Both programs are a mess right now but to Kent State’s credit after their week #1 debacle at Illinois, the Golden Flashes defense has played very well and Miami does not have much of an offense to shut down…given the fact that nothing comes easy for KSU football, this game will be close
Confidence Meter: 60%

Nick’s Pick: LSU 63 – Eastern Michigan 7
Comment: Let’s face it, the final score will be whatever LSU wants it to be…
Confidence Meter: 100%
09-30-2015 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
RE: Nick’s Picks – Week #5
(09-30-2015 03:38 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Nick’s Pick: LSU 63 – Eastern Michigan 7
Comment: Let’s face it, the final score will be whatever LSU wants it to be…

Nick - I think you made an error in your EMU prediction, giving us only the halftime score.
10-01-2015 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
^^^^ I think Ken Barna would disagree with you on that one. It's EMU 24, LSU 21 at half.
10-01-2015 04:12 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear toddjnsn,
I like it. Nice.
10-02-2015 07:52 AM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
I believe Ohio beats Akron by 31-21, the Bobcats have to be angry over losing to Minny by 3 on the road late in the game. A win there are they'd be in the discussion for the Access Bowl.

Whipple is an offensive genius and will have the Minutemen prepared for FIU, UMASS wins by 7. 35-28

Toledo will beat BSU by 3 but the game will be higher scoring. BSU put 23 on a fine A&M team, and only an untimely turnover kept BSU from breaking into the 20's and winnning the game at Evanston last wee. I think Toledo 35 BSU 31.

Huskie offense has had a tough time getting ontrack, Huskies 24-CMU 21
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 11:38 AM by Policiious.)
10-02-2015 11:36 AM
Advertisement

thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
(09-30-2015 03:38 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Nick’s Pick: Kent State 17 – Miami 13
Comment: Both programs are a mess right now but to Kent State’s credit after their week #1 debacle at Illinois, the Golden Flashes defense has played very well and Miami does not have much of an offense to shut down…given the fact that nothing comes easy for KSU football, this game will be close

Nailed it!04-cheers
10-03-2015 06:43 PM
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Nick’s Picks went a respectable 6-1 this weekend with the only loss being NIU/Central. Props to Eastern for making their score against LSU look respectable. Nicks Picks now stands at 43-13 (77%) YTD

Nick’s Pick: Ohio 21 – Akron 20
Actual Score: Ohio 14 – Akron 12
Initial Comment: The Zips have not beaten OU since 2007 and while Akron seems to have found a QB, Solich always seems to have the upper hand in this series…so until otherwise changed, look for a close game and another Bobcat win
Confidence Meter: 75%
Final Thought: The Bobcats have owned the Zips over the last decade and many of the games have been close; the Zips have a MAC championship caliber defense but a pedestrian offense than will be their downfall to a successful season

Nick’s Pick: UMass 33 – FIU 28
Actual Score: UMass 24 – FIU 14
Initial Comment: Call this a gut feeling but after getting hammered by Notre Dame last week I cannot see Coach Mark Whipple letting this team fall to 0-4. I know very little about FIU other than they did upset UCF this year and played Indiana respectfully…which means absolutely nothing
Confidence Meter: 40%
Final Thought: As predicted, there was no way UMass was going 0-4

Initial Nick’s Pick: NIU 28 – Central Michigan 21
Actual Score: Central 29 – NIU 19
Initial Comment: One of many huge games to begin conference play as Central looks much stronger than their record indicates and NIU’s offense has been a real mystery; granted that they’ve played two really good defenses in Ohio State & Boston College. After last year’s home loss something tells me that NIU really wants this game as badly as they want to beat Toledo every year. Central is looking at this game to spring their season forward…I predict an instant MAC classic!
Confidence Meter: 45%
Final Thought: NIU done in by turnovers, give props to Central for the huge early season win

Nick’s Pick: Toledo 24 – Ball State 20
Actual Score: Toledo 24 – Ball State 10
Initial Comment: Muncie, IN has been a house of horrors for the Rocket program through the years as twice they came in nationally ranked only to lose to the Cardinals. The Rockets have won just three times in the past 15 seasons at Ball State and this year will be a struggle if they do win again.
Confidence Meter: 30%
Final Thought: Rockets score all 24-points in the 2nd quarter and then let their defense do the rest

Nick’s Pick: BGSU 41 – Buffalo 31
Actual Score: BGSU 28 – Buffalo 22
Initial Comment: Get used to it Falcon fans, every win you have this year will be entertaining…look for this game to have as much as 1,000 yards of offense before it ends
Confidence Meter: 80%
Final Thought: Falcons take big lead and then hold on for the win

Nick’s Pick: Kent State 17 – Miami 13
Actual Score: Kent State 20 – Miami 14
Initial Comment: Both programs are a mess right now but to Kent State’s credit after their week #1 debacle at Illinois, the Golden Flashes defense has played very well and Miami does not have much of an offense to shut down…given the fact that nothing comes easy for KSU football, this game will be close
Final Thought: Kent jumped out a 20-0 lead before holding off the RedHawks…the Miami QB threw for over 300-yards

Nick’s Pick: LSU 63 – Eastern Michigan 7
Actual Score: LSU 44 – Eastern 22
Initial Comment: Let’s face it, the final score will be whatever LSU wants it to be…
Final Thought: Props to Eastern for making this a more competitive game than anyone would imagine; if they played like this against Army last week they would have won

VanDelay’s 1st MAC Power Football Poll - 2015
1. Toledo
2. Ohio
3. Central
4. NIU
5. BGSU
6. Ball St
7. Akron
8. Western
9. Buffalo
10. UMass
11. Kent St
12. Miami
13. Eastern
10-04-2015 08:12 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-01-2015 04:12 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  ^^^^ I think Ken Barna would disagree with you on that one. It's EMU 24, LSU 21 at half.

Todd, you were pretty insightful on that one...

You were the only one not to predict that the sky would fall and land right in the middle of the EMU sideline.

You were essentially one TD/FG off (total of 11 points of nailing it).

If you hadn't gone so 'giddy' 03-lmfao on EMU you would have nailed it: LSU 21 (off by 1) EMU 14 (exactly).
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 11:10 AM by emu steve.)
10-04-2015 08:20 AM
UofToledoFans Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
In no order i think UT, CMU, and WMU end up in the top 6 for sure. BSU and NIU will have to work their butts off to get in or stay in that top 6. OU, and BG look like top 6 locks right now but Akron and UB may have something to say about that in the following weeks. Umass is no slouch either. This conference is deep.
10-04-2015 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.