Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Do you think LB or others around the program have cheated (further than what the NCAA has found) while he was a HC at SMU
Yes
No
[Show Results]

By a 'Show of Hands'
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
By a 'Show of Hands'
... Who thinks that this SMU - Kieth Frazier nonsense was the ONLY recruiting violation Larry Brown, or his staff, or his colleagues in the recruiting arena (AAU Coaches, old coaching acquaintances etc...) committed during his tenure as SMU's head coach?

I'm putting it up to public opinion. This isn't a SMU bashing thread. I just want to know what kind of character our community thinks LB has.
09-29-2015 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
By a 'Show of Hands'
I might affect the results of this poll, but there's a reason Mudiay was told to go elsewhere
09-29-2015 05:44 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

RE: By a 'Show of Hands'
(09-29-2015 05:44 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I might affect the results of this poll, but there's a reason Mudiay was told to go elsewhere

Fair enough. I'm not talking about a specific situation though. I just want public opinion on people's perception of Brown as a HC and recruiter as far as ethics go.
09-29-2015 05:47 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think the truth is that the European League simply outbid SMU for Mudiay's services.
09-29-2015 05:59 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
By a 'Show of Hands'
(09-29-2015 05:59 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  I think the truth is that the European League simply outbid SMU for Mudiay's services.

Chinese league, and there was third-party involvement that likely would have caused NCAA issues had he come to SMU.
09-29-2015 06:42 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Where's the option for I don't know? I'd give it credence but you never can be so sure.
09-29-2015 06:45 PM
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2015 06:45 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Where's the option for I don't know? I'd give it credence but you never can be so sure.

Nope. It's a yes or no question.
09-29-2015 06:55 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
By a 'Show of Hands'
SMU will still beat Tulsa even when we have reduced scholarships
09-29-2015 07:08 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2015 07:08 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  SMU will still beat Tulsa even when we have reduced scholarships

Maybe. If Larry Brown is still coaching despite the ominous shadow of death (or the NCAA) hanging above him.
09-29-2015 07:11 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Probably yes, only because that's the way the game is played. Not an excuse for the founded violations though.
09-29-2015 07:16 PM
TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER
(09-29-2015 05:39 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  ... Who thinks that this SMU - Kieth Frazier nonsense was the ONLY recruiting violation Larry Brown, or his staff, or his colleagues in the recruiting arena (AAU Coaches, old coaching acquaintances etc...) committed during his tenure as SMU's head coach?

I'm putting it up to public opinion. This isn't a SMU bashing thread. I just want to know what kind of character our community thinks LB has.

Larry brown went to unc so there is no way he would ever cheat. Good day sir.
09-29-2015 07:21 PM
Advertisement

BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
(09-29-2015 07:11 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 07:08 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  SMU will still beat Tulsa even when we have reduced scholarships

Maybe. If Larry Brown is still coaching despite the ominous shadow of death (or the NCAA) hanging above him.

I think the people speculating on Larry Brown leaving are underestimating his desire to be alive.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic when I say that Larry Brown feels he would die a quick death if he never coached again. Frankly, I don't see him leaving SMU until he can't physically stand up anymore because multi million dollar coaching jobs don't grow on trees at that age.

He's cut from the same cloth as a Bear Bryant or Wayne Graham. He will stay at SMU beyond the sanctions, imo.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 07:25 PM by BoKnows.)
09-29-2015 07:23 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2015 07:23 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  

I think the people speculating on Larry Brown leaving are underestimating his desire to be alive.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic when I say that Larry Brown feels he would die a quick death if he never coached again. Frankly, I don't see him leaving SMU until he can't physically stand up anymore because multi million dollar coaching jobs don't grow on trees at that age.

He's cut from the same cloth as a Bear Bryant or Wayne Graham. He will stay at SMU beyond the sanctions, imo.

It's possible, but people a lot younger than him start suffering serious health issues for little to no reason. That's a very strenuous job, and if you add in the NCAA crud he has to deal with, I could see it take its toll on his health.
09-29-2015 07:33 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
[Image: BwAcd2i.jpg]
09-29-2015 07:37 PM
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
(09-29-2015 07:33 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 07:23 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  

It's possible, but people a lot younger than him start suffering serious health issues for little to no reason. That's a very strenuous job, and if you add in the NCAA crud he has to deal with, I could see it take its toll on his health.

Therein lies the crux of the situation. Does it take more of a toll to continue to coach than it does not to coach at all?

I happen to believe that he's one of those old school coaches that needs a whistle around his neck at all costs.

He is happier just practicing. The games are a hassle to him. That to me gets to an identity that wont be content on the golf course. He knows this is his last hurrah.

He's said in the past that Jank will have a LONG wait. The paychecks don't hurt.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 07:47 PM by BoKnows.)
09-29-2015 07:45 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(09-29-2015 05:39 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  ... Who thinks that this SMU - Kieth Frazier nonsense was the ONLY recruiting violation Larry Brown, or his staff, or his colleagues in the recruiting arena (AAU Coaches, old coaching acquaintances etc...) committed during his tenure as SMU's head coach?

I need a bigger font for this lmfao smiley.

03-lmfao
09-29-2015 07:45 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
They did.

With that said, that's why they are good as they are now instead of slumming it around in the bottom half of the conference table. I actually don't mind seeing an elite prospect being paid for their exceptional talent/hard work.

Tulane could stand to cheat themselves - but the last time we did, the university admin shut the entire program down after the first scandal.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 08:07 PM by oliveandblue.)
09-29-2015 08:07 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
It's only fair to have a poll for every member if we are having 1 for SMU and the answer for 100% of us (with a possible exception of Navy?) would be the same.

Has ________ university committed any violations that have not been uncovered? Only someone uninformed or foolish would answer that question negatively.
09-30-2015 05:04 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
All I know is that if ECU coaches cheat, they suck at it. When it comes to College sports, recruiting top notch talent for Basketball is a dirty, dirty business. Looks like Larry Brown made some rookie mistakes having just come from the Pro's and probably not having the patience to set up the layers of plausible deniability that most top College Basketball programs have. He could have simply looked at his Alma Mater UNCheat to see the commitment needed for truly successful cheating. You need total buy in from the Academic side of the University and if you have the State Legislature in your back pocket and ESPN that is a bonus and a bullet proof program the NCAA will leave alone or just slap on the wrist.
09-30-2015 05:21 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-30-2015 05:21 AM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  All I know is that if ECU coaches cheat, they suck at it. When it comes to College sports, recruiting top notch talent for Basketball is a dirty, dirty business. Looks like Larry Brown made some rookie mistakes having just come from the Pro's and probably not having the patience to set up the layers of plausible deniability that most top College Basketball programs have. He could have simply looked at his Alma Mater UNCheat to see the commitment needed for truly successful cheating. You need total buy in from the Academic side of the University and if you have the State Legislature in your back pocket and ESPN that is a bonus and a bullet proof program the NCAA will leave alone or just slap on the wrist.

ECU just can't get to the bar to start a tab. Too many others pushing and shoving in front of them.
09-30-2015 07:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.