ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 5 @ Marshall
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Week 5 @ Marshall
Well after what we all agree was the worst loss ever for ODU football. We travel to Marshall, forecast looks bad 03-hissyfit but am going to say we will look and play much better than last week.

I think before last week everyone was secretly hoping that Shuler Bently would just go off and have an amazing game, didnt happen. Now we all need to step back, give him a break and just hope he gets better from game to game. He hit rock bottom last week and it can only get better. I myself was pretty upset with his play but it starts with the O-line. They need to be solid so SB can learn and get better.

I have been reading the threads and it just seems like between last weeks bad loss, transitioning from TH to SB, the new stadium, offense and defense questions, the fan base is just all over the place. Some people seem to think that if ODU has a bad season that there is no reason to build a new stadium. False! We need that stadium more than anything for our program. It will set us apart in C-USA for recruiting especially in the area. Our fans need the amenities and we need it for a ticket to bringing bigger names to Norfolk. It is a must and hopefully around 35,000 seats.

The ODU football program is NOT some delicate flower that will crumble if we dont go 6-6 or happen to not sellout a game. We are tough, resilient and some of the most loyal and faithful fans in the country. We will to continue to be the rock and support for all ODU sports teams, sellout games, donate to ODAF and if we want to BOO we can, its only because we care and we want the best for our university!

Having said all that, I think ODU gives Marshall all they can handle in another rain game

Marshall 31
ODU 24

GO ODU!!!!! #beattheherd
09-29-2015 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: Week 5 @ Marshall
ODU can't look worse then last week, that said, we've always seemed to find a bounce back and I think this could be it. Marshall's QB is as bad as ours and our defense really isn't to bad. I'm an optimist and willing to give the kids and Wilder the benefit of the doubt.

Marshal 34
ODU: 28
09-29-2015 10:55 AM
ODU Music Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU and VCU
(09-29-2015 10:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Well after what we all agree was the worst loss ever for ODU football. We travel to Marshall, forecast looks bad 03-hissyfit but am going to say we will look and play much better than last week.

I think before last week everyone was secretly hoping that Shuler Bently would just go off and have an amazing game, didnt happen. Now we all need to step back, give him a break and just hope he gets better from game to game. He hit rock bottom last week and it can only get better. I myself was pretty upset with his play but it starts with the O-line. They need to be solid so SB can learn and get better.

I have been reading the threads and it just seems like between last weeks bad loss, transitioning from TH to SB, the new stadium, offense and defense questions, the fan base is just all over the place. Some people seem to think that if ODU has a bad season that there is no reason to build a new stadium. False! We need that stadium more than anything for our program. It will set us apart in C-USA for recruiting especially in the area. Our fans need the amenities and we need it for a ticket to bringing bigger names to Norfolk. It is a must and hopefully around 35,000 seats.

The ODU football program is NOT some delicate flower that will crumble if we dont go 6-6 or happen to not sellout a game. We are tough, resilient and some of the most loyal and faithful fans in the country. We will to continue to be the rock and support for all ODU sports teams, sellout games, donate to ODAF and if we want to BOO we can, its only because we care and we want the best for our university!

Having said all that, I think ODU gives Marshall all they can handle in another rain game

Marshall 31
ODU 24

GO ODU!!!!! #beattheherd

Love this post. ODU will pull through this. I have no doubt. Every team goes through rough spots, and we as fans need to stand up for our team and support them through trials and tribulations. ODU football will persevere, and be that much stronger in the future. Go Monarchs!!!
09-29-2015 11:33 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

The Vegas line stinks, which means something is up.
09-29-2015 11:41 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(09-29-2015 11:41 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  The Vegas line stinks, which means something is up.

Where's the line at currently?
09-29-2015 11:44 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I just hope the offense starts getting untracked. Believe me, if I wanted to watch someone stumble around aimlessly and not score, I'd start wearing a GoPro.
09-29-2015 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

CBS Bottom 25 is out and we didn't make it. So, we have that going for us.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...n-virginia
09-29-2015 11:51 AM
reagan Offline
Water Engineer

(09-29-2015 10:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Well after what we all agree was the worst loss ever for ODU football. We travel to Marshall, forecast looks bad 03-hissyfit but am going to say we will look and play much better than last week.

Marshall 31
ODU 24

GO ODU!!!!! #beattheherd

I agree the stadium needs to go up, but we really don't know how ODU fans will put up with losing seasons. ODU doesn't have the tradition of VT or even UVA. If ODU has several losing seasons, will the fans continue to come? Who really knows? No question our offense needs work. I am not ready to toss SB, there is too much blame to go around and he is still green. The question is whethe he uses the last game as a learning experience. And not just him, but the coaches and other players. This is just the 3rd game, and we have a lot more football to play!
09-29-2015 12:05 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

Agree with everyone else. Players are asking for more physical practices. That's a very good sign. If they don't want to knock the snot out of Marshall this weekend we're in deep do-do. My bet is they lose a very competitive game although this is a perfect time for an upset. Rest of the season gets better and better.
09-29-2015 12:05 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(09-29-2015 12:05 PM)reagan Wrote:  

Marshall 31
ODU 24

GO ODU!!!!! #beattheherd

I agree the stadium needs to go up, but we really don't know how ODU fans will put up with losing seasons. ODU doesn't have the tradition of VT or even UVA. If ODU has several losing seasons, will the fans continue to come? Who really knows? No question our offense needs work. I am not ready to toss SB, there is too much blame to go around and he is still green. The question is whethe he uses the last game as a learning experience. And not just him, but the coaches and other players. This is just the 3rd game, and we have a lot more football to play!

ODU MBB went 5-25 three years ago and this past year we averaged over 7,000 fans per game and had the #69th best attendance in college basketball. Now yes our bb team is more established but its still the same fans going to the game, still the same people that care about ODU sports. I just the the feeling that people think all the fans are going to instantly vanish if they have a bad year. ODU has done more for football and moving up in the past 6 years than I thought I would see in my lifetime. We need to support that through the good years and the bad.
09-29-2015 12:16 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Plus 19 last I saw.
09-29-2015 01:04 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
This game could be competitive.
Marshall's defense in not the Steel Curtain it was last year, but it is good enough, and it is balanced.
Kent outgained the Herd almost 2-1 last week.

Marshall has QB issues that I hope we can exploit.
If we can contain the run we will likely do well on defense.

However on offense.....
Look, we have entrenched our inside handoff run game to the point that every opponent now is likely going to call in a between-the-tackles run blitz on every single play. This will completely shut down our inside run.
With neither scrambles nor rolls outs, this run blitz then becomes a very effective pass blitz on a relatively non mobile QB standing the pocket, especially against our young OL.

We MUST do something different on offense or we could easily get shut out again this week.
This is not a knock on Bentley, Lawry, or our offensive line. It is not about toughness, or tenacity, or heart.
It is incumbent on our coaches to devise a gameplan that is more than just the inside handoff and the pistol pass from the pocket.

Marshall 45, ODU 14
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 06:20 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-29-2015 03:54 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

The App State game was Murphy's Law on steroids. I don't think we have that two weeks in a row, but neither do I believe that the Monarchs will somehow magically win this game. I see a game more along the lines of the NC State game, with the defense playing a solid game, and the offfense improved over last week. I think we lose, but not the way we did against the Mountain Boys and not as badly as against the Pack. I think this Monarch team shows some resolve this week.
09-29-2015 03:58 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-29-2015 03:58 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  The App State game was Murphy's Law on steroids. I don't think we have that two weeks in a row, but neither do I believe that the Monarchs will somehow magically win this game. I see a game more along the lines of the NC State game, with the defense playing a solid game, and the offfense improved over last week. I think we lose, but not the way we did against the Mountain Boys and not as badly as against the Pack. I think this Monarch team shows some resolve this week.

I wish it were as simple as resolve. The kids played their asses off the past two weeks. There has been plenty of resolve.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 06:15 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-29-2015 04:04 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

Tough to many any sort of prediction about this one since I have no idea where our offense is at. If the defense holds the Herd to 35 or less than I'd say great game for them. I don't think we win this one, but making it a competitive loss would do a lot perception-wise.
09-29-2015 04:53 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(09-29-2015 03:54 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  This game could be competitive.
Marshall's defense in not the Steel Curtain it was last year, but it is good enough, and it is balanced.
Kent outgained the Herd almost 2-1 last week.

Marshall has QB issues that I hope we can exploit.
If we can contain the run we will likely do well on defense.

However on offense.....
Look, we have entrenched our inside handoff run game to the point that every opponent now is likely going to call a between-the-tackles run blitz on every single play. This will completely shut down our inside run.
With neither scrambles nor rolls outs, this run blitz then becomes a very effective pass blitz on a relatively non mobile QB standing the pocket, especially against our young OL.

We MUST do something different on offense or we could easily get shut out again this week.
This is not a knock on Bentley, Lawry, or our offensive line. It is not about toughness, or tenacity, or heart.
It is incumbent on our coaches to devise a gameplan that is more than just the inside handoff and the pistol pass from the pocket.

Marshall 45, ODU 14
Too right. Lawry's a hell of a runner but if you know where he's gonna be there's not a lot he can do.

I think the team and coaches will figure it out but I'm only expecting marginal improvement this week. Playing in Huntingtons going to be tough regardless. I'd gladly take the mythical "Moral Victory" on this one
09-29-2015 05:17 PM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
Marshall 45 ODU 14 simply sounds about right. If we are gonna loose we might as well loose big and hope for change. This isn't horseshoes.
09-29-2015 06:46 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
We need a fast running, defender eluding, progression reading, accurate passing QB if we want to be competitive in this game. Can Heath ... I mean Shuler Bentley be this QB or will Coach Bobby Wilder bench him and call upon the kid from Raleigh to lead this team the rest of the season?

Wilder sticks with his 4 year starter.

Marshall 48
ODU 7
09-29-2015 11:49 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

(09-29-2015 11:49 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  We need a fast running, defender eluding, progression reading, accurate passing QB if we want to be competitive in this game. Can Heath ... I mean Shuler Bentley be this QB or will Coach Bobby Wilder bench him and call upon the kid from Raleigh to lead this team the rest of the season?

Wilder sticks with his 4 year starter.

Marshall 48
ODU 7

Give the kid at least a year before you quit on him. geez. 04-chairshot
09-29-2015 11:51 PM
bigblue78 Online
Special Teams

Devon Johnson day-to-day availability:

Doc Holiday's mid-week presser:

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/...15aab.html
09-30-2015 07:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.