Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA drops the hammer on SMU hoops
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
NCAA drops the hammer on SMU hoops
Oh, Larry. You should have stuck to the NBA. Three college coaching jobs, three programs on probation.

NCAA bans SMU from postseason, suspends Larry Brown for rules violations

Quote:The NCAA has banned Southern Methodist University's men's basketball team from 2016 postseason play, and it has also suspended Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown for 30% of the team's game this season due to multiple rules violations, the NCAA announced Tuesday morning. Brown was hit with a "lack of coach control" charge, and other NCAA charges against the program include academic fraud and unethical conduct.

In addition, Brown "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance when he did not report violations and was not initially truthful during an interview with NCAA enforcement staff," the NCAA said. Brown was also hit with a two-year show-cause order, and he will be required to attend an NCAA Regional Rules seminar during each year of the show-cause period.

SMU will also lose nine scholarships over the next three years and face recruiting restrictions.

This is the third time that a program led by Brown has been sanctioned by the NCAA. The previous two: Kansas and UCLA.
09-29-2015 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: NCAA drops the hammer on SMU hoops
Im not familiar with the situation but is the punishment justified or is the ncaa trying to make an example out of smu and a high profile Larry brown
09-29-2015 11:07 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-29-2015 10:42 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Oh, Larry. You should have stuck to the NBA. Three college coaching jobs, three programs on probation.

NCAA bans SMU from postseason, suspends Larry Brown for rules violations

Quote:The NCAA has banned Southern Methodist University's men's basketball team from 2016 postseason play, and it has also suspended Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown for 30% of the team's game this season due to multiple rules violations, the NCAA announced Tuesday morning. Brown was hit with a "lack of coach control" charge, and other NCAA charges against the program include academic fraud and unethical conduct.

In addition, Brown "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance when he did not report violations and was not initially truthful during an interview with NCAA enforcement staff," the NCAA said. Brown was also hit with a two-year show-cause order, and he will be required to attend an NCAA Regional Rules seminar during each year of the show-cause period.

SMU will also lose nine scholarships over the next three years and face recruiting restrictions.

This is the third time that a program led by Brown has been sanctioned by the NCAA. The previous two: Kansas and UCLA.

I guess North Carolina gets off free since they nailed SMU basketball!04-cheers

This is a REALLY heavy penalty for basically one athlete.

I do think this does move SMU to #1, tied with Arizona St. for most major violations and breaking the tie with Auburn and Texas A&M.
09-29-2015 11:08 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Investigation begins, moves forward, and ends. Hammer comes down. Meanwhile, at UNC.....crickets. Its getting comical. Does the NCAA really think nobody notices?
09-29-2015 11:09 AM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
I think it is justified. When the NCAA asks for info and you aren't truthful you always get hit harder. In Brown's case, he has a history of non-compliance that hurts as well.
09-29-2015 11:10 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(09-29-2015 11:09 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Investigation begins, moves forward, and ends. Hammer comes down. Meanwhile, at UNC.....crickets. Its getting comical. Does the NCAA really think nobody notices?

Its situations like this that make the NCAA look awful. The bigger schools always seem to be getting the breaks smaller conference schools are not. No 2 situations are exactly alike but if you were to compare punishments throughout the past 30 years, would anyone be surprised if it was mainly smaller conference schools getting the heavy hand?
09-29-2015 11:16 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Can someone provide a brief summary of what he did wrong, according to the NCAA?
09-29-2015 11:21 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I'm sorry but SMU should issue a statement that they will accept their punishment as soon as the NCAA takes care of the UNC situation properly.
09-29-2015 11:24 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

IMO the NCAA comes down hard on teams when programs are not cooperative with investigators and/or coaches lie to investigators.

Bruce Pearl got a show-cause for a minor violation at Tennessee because he lied to investigators about an incident for which they had mobile-phone video to prove him wrong.

Georgia Tech was hit harder for football rules violations several years ago because of "failure to cooperate with investigators". Interestingly (and I'm sure GT fans have already noticed this), the head of that investigation is now the commissioner of the SEC.
09-29-2015 11:24 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-29-2015 11:24 AM)Wedge Wrote:  IMO the NCAA comes down hard on teams when programs are not cooperative with investigators and/or coaches lie to investigators.

Yep, they hate that, and they also hate multiple offenders. Brown is a 3-time loser, he has a bad track record.
09-29-2015 11:33 AM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(09-29-2015 11:33 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 11:24 AM)Wedge Wrote:  IMO the NCAA comes down hard on teams when programs are not cooperative with investigators and/or coaches lie to investigators.

Yep, they hate that, and they also hate multiple offenders. Brown is a 3-time loser, he has a bad track record.

That's got to sting. First they miss out on getting Mudiay into school, then they lose that heart breaker in the 6/11 game in the tournament to a pedestrian UCLA team and now this. The real question is whether they dump Larry now to try and show contrition, even at the expense of a busted season.
09-29-2015 12:27 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
So when does Calipari and Kentucky get hit - they are serial cheaters as well.
09-29-2015 12:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Bruce Pearl got a show-cause for a minor violation at Tennessee because he lied to investigators about an incident for which they had mobile-phone video to prove him wrong.

Georgia Tech was hit harder for football rules violations several years ago because of "failure to cooperate with investigators". Interestingly (and I'm sure GT fans have already noticed this), the head of that investigation is now the commissioner of the SEC.

Yes, basically the compliance officer made the investigators mad and the coach asked the player about it despite being told not to by the investigators. Brown apparently lied to them like Tressel did. GT didn't lie, they just didn't jump when called.

When penalties are based on making the investigators mad, you have a problem. GT had ONE player accept $300 worth of merchandise from an agent. And that wasn't even who the NCAA was initially investigating. Yet it was viewed as a major offense.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 12:55 PM by bullet.)
09-29-2015 12:54 PM
eltigre Online
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(09-29-2015 12:38 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  So when does Calipari and Kentucky get hit - they are serial cheaters as well.

And Brown was a mentor to Cal so I guess the student learned better than the teacher.
09-29-2015 12:58 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(09-29-2015 11:09 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Investigation begins, moves forward, and ends. Hammer comes down. Meanwhile, at UNC.....crickets. Its getting comical. Does the NCAA really think nobody notices?

UNC? How about half the NCAA? It's happening pretty much everyone, even in minor sports at minor schools. And it's been happening for decades. I have a close relative that played at USC in the late 70's with a number of notable NFL personalities/Hall of Famers and when I asked him if he took money under the table he said "Hell yeah I got paid!"

That said, it's hilarious that an institution like SMU, who knew about Larry Brown's history and past transgressions would hire him only to have this blow up in their face.

(09-29-2015 12:38 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  So when does Calipari and Kentucky get hit - they are serial cheaters as well.

He'll get hit alright, with a slap on the wrist. As the saying goes, when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 02:00 PM by C2__.)
09-29-2015 01:01 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2015 01:01 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  UNC? How about half the NCAA? It's happening pretty much everyone, even in minor sports at minor schools. And it's been happening for decades. I have a close relative that played at USC in the late 70's with a number of notable NFL personalities/Hall of Famers and when I asked him if he took money under the table he said "Hell yeah I got paid!"

That said, it's hilarious that an institution like SMU, who knew about LArry Brown's history and past transgressions would hire him only to have this blow up in their face.

Yeah, it is kind of like buying a red Ferrari and hiring a guy who has had a dozen speeding tickets to drive you around in it.

Speaking of USC, one thing that Haden did there is to hire an assistant AD whose only job is to deal with the football program -- i.e., someone whose full-time job is to watch over Kiffin and now Sark. Maybe any school who hires a "risky" coach should do something like that.
09-29-2015 01:14 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-29-2015 11:16 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Its situations like this that make the NCAA look awful. The bigger schools always seem to be getting the breaks smaller conference schools are not. No 2 situations are exactly alike but if you were to compare punishments throughout the past 30 years, would anyone be surprised if it was mainly smaller conference schools getting the heavy hand?

Is this a serious statement? You're saying that Ohio State is a tiny school? USC? Penn State? Indiana basketball? Syracuse basketball? They all got dinged harder than SMU.

People tend to overlook the fact that any violation committed by a Big Boy gets 10x the press coverage of a violation by a small school. You're not seeing what the small schools get away with because it's simply not in the media very often.
09-29-2015 01:15 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It's a snitch culture, so who's the crybaby?

Seriously, SMU...after the first one, you're an easy target. And, again, they prohibit your program from something big. Take it to these guys.
09-29-2015 01:21 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Poor SMU
09-29-2015 01:24 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(09-29-2015 01:15 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Is this a serious statement? You're saying that Ohio State is a tiny school? USC? Penn State? Indiana basketball? Syracuse basketball? They all got dinged harder than SMU.

People tend to overlook the fact that any violation committed by a Big Boy gets 10x the press coverage of a violation by a small school. You're not seeing what the small schools get away with because it's simply not in the media very often.

Yes, big boys cheat too but they by and large get overlooked or a slap on the wrist.
09-29-2015 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.