Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

At Large Tie-ins for 2015
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
At Large Tie-ins for 2015
In an extreme scenario, let's assume that Boise State, Toledo, AND the AAC representative run the table for the remainder of the year. Is it possible that ALL could be selected by the selection committee based on the tie-ins available in 2015? I know that this scenario is highly unlikely, but you never know.

Here is the breakdown as I understand it:

Code:
The following tie-ins exist for bowls in the years they are not hosting the national semifinals:

Rose Bowl — Big Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
Sugar Bowl — SEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
Orange Bowl — ACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
Cotton Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
Fiesta Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
Peach Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)

Reference --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_...bowl_games
09-28-2015 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: At Large Tie-ins for 2015
(09-28-2015 06:49 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  In an extreme scenario, let's assume that Boise State, Toledo, AND the AAC representative run the table for the remainder of the year. Is it possible that ALL could be selected by the selection committee based on the tie-ins available in 2015? I know that this scenario is highly unlikely, but you never know.

Here is the breakdown as I understand it:

Code:
The following tie-ins exist for bowls in the years they are not hosting the national semifinals:

Rose Bowl — Big Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
Sugar Bowl — SEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
Orange Bowl — ACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
Cotton Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
Fiesta Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
Peach Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)

Reference --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_...bowl_games

Is it possible? Yes, its possible for the committee to do that. Will it ever happen---zero chance. The reality is the committee has ZERO G5 representation. The P5 bias on this committee is MASSIVE. There is no way in hell the selection committee will pick 3 G5's over other P5 champs and CCG runner ups. A deal will be brokered behind closed doors and the selection committee will award the G5 their token slot, and award the other remaining at large slots to champs/P5 runner ups.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 12:43 AM by Attackcoog.)
09-28-2015 06:53 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
It's not likely because more than one team from more than one conference would have to be top ten to pull it off. The only teams that will likely have a schedule that would get them into the top ten are in the AAC, and only one of those teams will make it. And they would get the access.

And to show how difficult this scenario is, this is the most generous at large years in the rotation with the access bowl plus 5 at large plus 4 playoff spots. In some years there will be the access plus one at large plus 4 playoff spots, meaning two G5 teams would have to be top 6.
09-28-2015 07:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

in my opinion the answer is no

the teams that can get to top 8 are in the aac , talking pre bowl (temple & memphis...maybe navy) and if undefeated they will get the auto spot

toledo wont be top 8 (arkansas st and iowa state will look horrible at the end of he year)

boise has a lose and MWC schedule wont carry them in the top 8
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 07:30 PM by pesik.)
09-28-2015 07:28 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(09-28-2015 07:28 PM)pesik Wrote:  in my opinion the answer is no

the teams that can get to top 8 are in the aac , talking pre bowl (temple & memphis...maybe navy) and if undefeated they will get the auto spot

toledo wont be top 8 (arkansas st and iowa state will look horrible at the end of he year)

But hypothetically, let's say Boise hadn't lost. They started out at what... 16th? Something like that? If they won out, by simple attrition, would it be possible for them to rise to #4? I mean, let's say they had played another P5 opponent instead of Idaho State, and won all of them, and then destroyed the MW.

I say it's possible. And I think it's even more possible for an AAC team to do it because of conference strength. You just HAVE to start out the year ranked. Of course, I realize the Playoff committee's rank is the one that counts, but it would be very hard for their perceived legitimacy to leave an AP #10 Cincy or an AP #10 Memphis out of their rankings.
09-28-2015 07:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pesik Offline
Legend

(09-28-2015 07:47 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

But hypothetically, let's say Boise hadn't lost. They started out at what... 16th? Something like that? If they won out, by simple attrition, would it be possible for them to rise to #4? I mean, let's say they had played another P5 opponent instead of Idaho State, and won all of them, and then destroyed the MW.

I say it's possible. And I think it's even more possible for an AAC team to do it because of conference strength. You just HAVE to start out the year ranked. Of course, I realize the Playoff committee's rank is the one that counts, but it would be very hard for their perceived legitimacy to leave an AP #10 Cincy or an AP #10 Memphis out of their rankings.

hypothetically, yes if both undefeated and an aac champ and boise would both be in the access bowls ..the top 8 must be choosen..regardless of conference and an undefeated aac with decen ooc will be top 8, so will boise
09-28-2015 08:34 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(09-28-2015 07:47 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

I don't believe Boise would have been that high in the playoff poll to start. Had they remained undefeated, they would likely be between 20-25 this week. And unfortunately for them, their conference schedule blows, which would prevent them from getting top ten. They could win out, and get stuck in the teens.
09-28-2015 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.