Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Breaking even in football
Bookmark and Share
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Breaking even in football
What would our average attendance have to be in order to break even or possibly draw a profit? Is it even possible with our low ticket price?
09-25-2015 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Breaking even in football
I don't think we'd break even with a full house every game unless we were in a New Years Day bowl
09-25-2015 09:14 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
It is likely impossible to break even based on current ticket prices. A guest ticket for the student section at UT is over $80 and they have a 100k capacity. We have a long way to go, but it isn't impossible.
09-25-2015 09:19 PM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(09-25-2015 09:19 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  It is likely impossible to break even based on current ticket prices. A guest ticket for the student section at UT is over $80 and they have a 100k capacity. We have a long way to go, but it isn't impossible.

What does the cost of a guest ticket at UT and their stadium capacity have to do with us breaking even in football?

We spend millions less than a school like UT on football so our ticket revenue wouldn't have to be anywhere near what UT's revenue is in order to break even. I wouldn't be surprised if ticket revenue alone weren't enough to get us to the break even point. I think it will take an increase in media rights, sponsorships and licensing, and donations for us to continually invest in football and break even. We could probably break even this year if we stopped investing money into the program and cut budgets but that would be counterproductive.
09-25-2015 10:33 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
(09-25-2015 10:33 PM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  
(09-25-2015 09:19 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  It is likely impossible to break even based on current ticket prices. A guest ticket for the student section at UT is over $80 and they have a 100k capacity. We have a long way to go, but it isn't impossible.

What does the cost of a guest ticket at UT and their stadium capacity have to do with us breaking even in football?

We spend millions less than a school like UT on football so our ticket revenue wouldn't have to be anywhere near what UT's revenue is in order to break even. I wouldn't be surprised if ticket revenue alone weren't enough to get us to the break even point. I think it will take an increase in media rights, sponsorships and licensing, and donations for us to continually invest in football and break even. We could probably break even this year if we stopped investing money into the program and cut budgets but that would be counterproductive.

I was making the point that our ticket revenue is miniscule.
09-25-2015 11:31 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
I think our FB budget is 10 or 11 million. Is that accurate? I think we get about 2 million from TV money.

I think 8 million would be a good ticket revenue goal for the next few years. We would need to average 40k at $200 per season ticket. That's an average of $33.33 per game ticket. This season our average game ticket cost will probably be closer to $20 per game ticket.
09-26-2015 07:18 AM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I think that TV money includes basketball too.

Any bowl money pretty much goes to bowl expenses.
09-26-2015 07:48 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
I doubt it will ever happen in the Liberty Bowl in our current conference.
09-26-2015 08:05 AM
FranklinTNTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
And oh by the way excluding a NY day bowl payout all other bowls we will actually lose money going to a bowl!!

That's why it is extremely important for us to find a way to forge into a P5 conference!!! Conference $$ from a P5 conference will be a minimum of $10 M annually. You can see that can of $$ help build the P5 Programs.
09-26-2015 01:45 PM
JetFixer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
who gets the beer money?
09-26-2015 03:00 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(09-26-2015 03:00 PM)Unfaithful Wrote:  who gets the beer money?

The city. That's why they allowed it.
09-26-2015 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

our job is to buy tickets and attend games. if you manage to encourage a few others to do the same , the athletic department will have more money and be closer to breaking even in football.

the more fans in attendance, the more sponsors will pay and the more the big boosters will see football as a worthy source of donations.
09-26-2015 05:00 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah we are a ways away from it. Baby steps
09-26-2015 05:04 PM
JetFixer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-26-2015 03:01 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

So the city gets all concession money? What about parking fees/tiger lane fees? Please excuse the stupid questions, i just always assumed the school got most and the city got a cut.
09-26-2015 06:14 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(09-26-2015 06:14 PM)Unfaithful Wrote:  

So the city gets all concession money? What about parking fees/tiger lane fees? Please excuse the stupid questions, i just always assumed the school got most and the city got a cut.

The City charges so much money to the HH for Tiger Lane spaces this year that the HH can't take a cut to support the football program. The concessions are run by local cheerleaders and soccer teams and such for support of their teams, and the Liberty Bowl contract with the University says that they (the City) get all concessions profits until the first $50,000 is reached each game. So you can see, we only make money on ticket sales. Yet another couple of reasons some of us think an on campus stadium is the way to go. But that ship has sailed for at least a couple decades into the future, I believe.
09-26-2015 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
football would make money if 40,000 show up for every game. Not average but 40,000 butts in the seat every game.

If we stay this good for a few more years, good tickets will come with an extra cost like basketball.
09-26-2015 07:31 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: Breaking even in football
If football lost 5 Million a year it would still be worth 50 million more than Basketball

I really wanna go to --------- because they have a great basketball team - said no one ever
09-26-2015 07:41 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(09-26-2015 07:15 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

The City charges so much money to the HH for Tiger Lane spaces this year that the HH can't take a cut to support the football program. The concessions are run by local cheerleaders and soccer teams and such for support of their teams, and the Liberty Bowl contract with the University says that they (the City) get all concessions profits until the first $50,000 is reached each game. So you can see, we only make money on ticket sales. Yet another couple of reasons some of us think an on campus stadium is the way to go. But that ship has sailed for at least a couple decades into the future, I believe.

We actually have a sweetheart deal. Check out what Temple pays.
09-26-2015 09:08 PM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

(09-25-2015 11:31 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  
(09-25-2015 10:33 PM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  

I was making the point that our ticket revenue is miniscule.

I got your point. My point is that how our ticket revenue compares to UT is irrelevant to the discussion or our football team breaking even. It's actually irrelevant to any discussion about Tiger football. We don't need to compare ourselves to the Vols in anything.
09-26-2015 09:37 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2015 09:08 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(09-26-2015 07:15 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

We actually have a sweetheart deal. Check out what Temple pays.

anyone that thinks our financial deal with the city is not a good one is not very well versed in business. You can argue the long term implications of an on campus venue , but the short term financial benefits are not arguable in a logical discussion.
09-27-2015 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.