Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Hall, AKA "Kaplan Arena" Renovation for 2022-???
Bookmark and Share
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
The Hall, AKA "Kaplan Arena" Renovation for 2022-???
I know it was part of the 20 year plan with regard to athletics, in addition to a practice facility, but realistically, how long would we expect to have to wait for any major changes. Anyone with any inside information on the inner circle at the AD's office? Our neighbors in Richmond and ODU have markedly better facilities and I hope there is a shorter term goal than 20 years for this. The Kaplans have the naming rights...are they on a similar path that Zable was for a larger gift in the future??

Here is ODU putting in a new scoreboard in their 10 year old arena already. http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/new-scor...1409798078
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2023 07:27 AM by nogretheogre.)
09-22-2015 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
The Hall, AKA "Kaplan Arena"
The Kaplan Arena is like a potential money tree. It should be growing money. All they need is a inviting environment, read beer/ wine, Mexican food outlets and the likes, and some competitive teams. Some banners hanging in the stands, post game concerts, bringing back the great players etc wouldn't hurt.
09-22-2015 10:23 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
RE: The Hall, AKA "Kaplan Arena"
(09-22-2015 10:23 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  The Kaplan Arena is like a potential money tree. It should be growing money. All they need is a inviting environment, read beer/ wine, Mexican food outlets and the likes, and some competitive teams. Some banners hanging in the stands, post game concerts, bringing back the great players etc wouldn't hurt.

I don't know about Mexican food, they just upgraded the bathrooms.
09-24-2015 06:35 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
The Hall, AKA "Kaplan Arena"
That may come in handy with the ' comida mexicana autentica'!
09-24-2015 09:58 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Since the game was reportedly a guaranteed win last night, I was hoping more of you would comment on Kaplan's court design...but nothing. Must have been underwhelming in person?
11-20-2015 05:10 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I mean it looks nice but it's not radically different
11-20-2015 06:03 PM
Advertisement

Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Do not forget W&M tried to put up a BIG super scoreboard but the 45 year old roof was not designed to hold the weight.
There is more than just basketball and volleyball teams using the facility. The track team uses it in the winter for things like practicing pole vaulting and high jump Build a facility that will be able to handle these types of activities then,mThe Hall aka Kaplan Arena can be reconfigured in some manner add suites, food patios, bars, dancing girls, seating, or the month old popcorn vendor in the open end .

Let's get The Z renovated the tackle The Kap.
All donations will be appreciated....
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 06:26 PM by Tribe Fan.)
11-20-2015 06:24 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

"Tribe Concessions"!!! No one else noticed?
11-20-2015 09:30 PM
Twotone60 Offline
Water Engineer

I don't think it's anything new to note that there are simply too many hard surfaces in Kaplan. Having played music there, I can tell you, the building is an acoustic nightmare. The best sound system in the world is still going to sound lousy in there until they mitigate the acoustic problems.
11-20-2015 09:32 PM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
(11-20-2015 06:24 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  Do not forget W&M tried to put up a BIG super scoreboard but the 45 year old roof was not designed to hold the weight.

This, by the way, is myth, though it was believed by even the AD at one time. The issue was the strength of the cable holding the scoreboard, and somehow, by the time the problem was communicated through channels, the powers that be thought the issue was the roof.
11-20-2015 09:59 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(11-20-2015 09:59 PM)Got Ribe Wrote:  
(11-20-2015 06:24 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  Do not forget W&M tried to put up a BIG super scoreboard but the 45 year old roof was not designed to hold the weight.

This, by the way, is myth, though it was believed by even the AD at one time. The issue was the strength of the cable holding the scoreboard, and somehow, by the time the problem was communicated through channels, the powers that be thought the issue was the roof.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So why not get a stronger cable????
11-20-2015 10:18 PM
Advertisement

Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Funny thing., two people involved told me the roofstructure was the problem. Guess it is who you talk with. Regardless, no new multimedia scoreboard.
Why not look to put up some type of multimedia board on the back wall? Just a thought
The person who said the roof was weak also let me know how the ceiling became full of mold
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 10:55 PM by Tribe Fan.)
11-20-2015 10:48 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
It's time to move on from Kaplan. When you get a chance to go to a newer arena that seats between 7-10 thousand folks you'll see how different it is from the sight lines, distance from the court, etc. ODU's arena is a good example. Much better atmosphere, and yes most arenas are closed on all four sides.
11-21-2015 07:02 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(11-21-2015 07:02 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  It's time to move on from Kaplan. When you get a chance to go to a newer arena that seats between 7-10 thousand folks you'll see how different it is from the sight lines, distance from the court, etc. ODU's arena is a good example. Much better atmosphere, and yes most arenas are closed on all four sides.

Yeah, we'll just put it... where exactly? Play games in Adair for a year? Have graduation in Zable? Okay, the last one sounds like a pretty cool thing.
11-21-2015 08:15 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(11-20-2015 10:48 PM)Tribe Fan Wrote:  

Funny thing., two people involved told me the roofstructure was the problem. Guess it is who you talk with. Regardless, no new multimedia scoreboard.
Why not look to put up some type of multimedia board on the back wall? Just a thought
The person who said the roof was weak also let me know how the ceiling became full of mold

I think Got Ribe is saying that if you're talking to most people, "involved" or not, you'll hear that the roof was the problem when it was not.
11-21-2015 08:17 AM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

Kaplan Arena will not be replaced in the forseeable future. There is neither the money nor inclination to do this---remember, there are faint stirrings of discontent about the Zable 30m renovation--there are eggheads,
very small in number, who feel we're going to spend too much of the 1b campaign on sports. A new basketball arena would really get the pot boiling.

And, besides, the current facility offers the opportunity to change for the better for lots less money.

Money needs to be raised--and it appears long off--but some things can be done in that future:

*PLAN A-Remove many of the upper tier seats that are filled once a decade for basketball, and construct luxury boxes along the top. Bring down capacity to 4000-5000 and create much more intimate atmosphere.
Biggest problem with this is administration points out with validity we need full seating for graduation and other special events.

*PLAN B-Install large draping system that drapes off from sight the unused upper tier seats and lowers
basketball seating capacity to the 4000-5000 level. Drapes may be raised for graduation and other large events to utilize the extra 2000 seats. Heavy draping material selected also would benefit sound system in Kaplan, muffling echoing sounds. Construct several luxury boxes on the far end of the floor.

Plan B is the one that is being explored, but money needs to be raised. Both plans would give us a much more practical, more intimate arena that would help the team.

By the way, the sound system was replace a couple of years ago and it is better. Certainly, it is tough to hear when noise levels are high during games but, frankly, I have been to Duke, ODU, Richmond,St.John's, Wake Forest and Georgetown for basketball games and hearing their systems is just as hard as Kaplan when noise if high.

What is included in the long range plans approved by the BOV that would take care of a permanent volleyball & track facility AND a basketball practice facility is another separate building.

All of this appears years away.
11-21-2015 08:27 AM
Advertisement

Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
Stronger cable and multimedia board on the back wall are both very good ideas. Some type of video board was a strong recommendation from our committee. (We looked at ways to improve game day experience at Kaplan.) Put it on the back wall, put it in the open area, put in in the corner somewhere--like UR did in all four corners. Just do it.

My best guess is that it is being considered. But that is only a guess. I think they got tired of hearing our suggestions on the matter. So, we will see. There is some money in the budget for a scoreboard--close to enough to get a good video board installed.

The football selection show is being broadcast at Kaplan. I can't be there, but I'd be interested to know what they are showing it on.
11-21-2015 08:37 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
So, I had my first visit to Kaplan the other night. While it was a guaranteed win, I'm excited to see what that place looks and sounds like when you're facing some good competition.

That being said, the section right under the banners...

Why not add more seating there and make that place even louder, and more opportunity to bring in more money?

UNCW recently added a multimedia scoreboard, and it looks great. I'm not in any way trying to pump our chest, but if they can do that in old freaking Trask... it shouldn't be an engineering issue at Kaplan.

I liked the court design.

What's with the tiny student section? Was that just because it was a guaranteed win game, or are they always in that same small section opposite of the visitor's bench?
11-21-2015 08:51 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Student section grows with the season and when football ends. The front row of one section is usually all football players. Understandably, they're not quite focused on basketball yet.

The fan presence also grows as a successful season progresses, unfortunately. Most people in Williamsburg still get their news by paper, so they don't know there's games until there's half a dozen articles about how this team is really good.
11-21-2015 09:06 AM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

(11-21-2015 08:15 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(11-21-2015 07:02 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  It's time to move on from Kaplan. When you get a chance to go to a newer arena that seats between 7-10 thousand folks you'll see how different it is from the sight lines, distance from the court, etc. ODU's arena is a good example. Much better atmosphere, and yes most arenas are closed on all four sides.

Yeah, we'll just put it... where exactly? Play games in Adair for a year? Have graduation in Zable? Okay, the last one sounds like a pretty cool thing.

I was there in 1993 when graduation was in Zable. 105 degrees. Bill Cosby. We should never do that again. Ever.
11-21-2015 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.