Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU deserves consideration
bigredmachine Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
NIU deserves consideration
Nationally, NIU doesn't get the recognition it deserves due to being in the Mid-American Conference. One of the top five most wins over the past 5 years. 5 straight wins against Big Ten teams before last Saturday's on score loss at #1 Ohio State. Located in close proximity to the third largest TV market in the country.
Today, the economic problems Illinois is facing is holding the school down, but plans are in place, support is growing, and the future is trending markedly upward. Doug Baker is a great and farsighted president. Sean Frazier is a visionary AD. Rod Carey is a gem.
Notice to the Big 12, AAC and everyone else: Now is the time to consider NIU for expansion.
09-22-2015 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: NIU deserves consideration
(09-22-2015 10:26 AM)bigredmachine Wrote:  Nationally, NIU doesn't get the recognition it deserves due to being in the Mid-American Conference. One of the top five most wins over the past 5 years. 5 straight wins against Big Ten teams before last Saturday's on score loss at #1 Ohio State. Located in close proximity to the third largest TV market in the country.
Today, the economic problems Illinois is facing is holding the school down, but plans are in place, support is growing, and the future is trending markedly upward. Doug Baker is a great and farsighted president. Sean Frazier is a visionary AD. Rod Carey is a gem.
Notice to the Big 12, AAC and everyone else: Now is the time to consider NIU for expansion.

I think NIU deserves consideration .... for this year's G5 Access Bowl slot.

As for expansion? Yes, the American Athletic Conference should consider inviting NIU. But a Power conference? NIU is a meaningless directional that brings nothing to any Power table.
09-22-2015 10:53 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(09-22-2015 10:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 10:26 AM)bigredmachine Wrote:  Nationally, NIU doesn't get the recognition it deserves due to being in the Mid-American Conference. One of the top five most wins over the past 5 years. 5 straight wins against Big Ten teams before last Saturday's on score loss at #1 Ohio State. Located in close proximity to the third largest TV market in the country.

As for expansion? Yes, the American Athletic Conference should consider inviting NIU. But a Power conference? NIU is a meaningless directional that brings nothing to any Power table.

Pretty much accurate. NIU should be on the short list for the AAC, but thats about it,
09-22-2015 11:18 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

Don't burst his bubble.

I agree with him that we probably have the Prez and AD in place that will take NIU as far as it can go (which might not be very far). I don't have a problem with the MAC other than the deal with all the weeknight games. If the top half of the MAC shows well then that's important. So far this year they're doing pretty well. I don't see NIU in a power conference anytime in the next few decades.
09-22-2015 11:25 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
NIU, if everything works out as I figure, should be in an access bowl this year or at least be seriously considered. I think it'd be safe to say we are on the AAC short list as an expansion or replacement candidate
09-22-2015 11:39 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-22-2015 11:25 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Don't burst his bubble.

I agree with him that we probably have the Prez and AD in place that will take NIU as far as it can go (which might not be very far). I don't have a problem with the MAC other than the deal with all the weeknight games. If the top half of the MAC shows well then that's important. So far this year they're doing pretty well. I don't see NIU in a power conference anytime in the next few decades.

FWIW, I apologize for saying NIU is "meaningless", that's an inaccurate besmirchment of the fine academic and athletic work that occurs on your campus. 07-coffee3
09-22-2015 11:42 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Sadly they are number 43 7th in line. BYU and Boise State are the front runners right now with Toledo and Houston.
09-22-2015 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

Stop talking about markets and stop talking about fans. If you want NIU in a power conference, give the school money (to improve academics and the overall athletic program - including non-football sports) and convince others to be fans. Pimping the school on an anon fan forum won't help.

For whatever it's worth, I've personally always liked the MAC. It makes geographic sense, it's reasonably stable, and the schools are similar. The downside is that it's in the Midwest, so demographics are not in its favor.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 12:42 PM by nzmorange.)
09-22-2015 12:38 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-22-2015 12:38 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Stop talking about markets and stop talking about fans. If you want NIU in a power conference, give the school money (to improve academics and the overall athletic program - including non-football sports) and convince others to be fans. Pimping the school on an anon fan forum won't help.

For whatever it's worth, I've personally always liked the MAC. It makes geographic sense, it's reasonably stable, and the schools are similar. The downside is that it's in the Midwest, so demographics are not in its favor.

Does not help when other conferences thinks of you very lowly on the totem pole. The whole conference does not get the respect that they deserve for their football.
09-22-2015 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

Fans are overrated. 03-drunk
09-22-2015 12:46 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

Most of us realize the AAC is our likely greater goal for the near future. Sure some of us play devil's advocate and dream big but we know it isn't likely to get a P5 invite in the near future.
09-22-2015 12:49 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-22-2015 11:42 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Don't burst his bubble.

FWIW, I apologize for saying NIU is "meaningless", that's an inaccurate besmirchment of the fine academic and athletic work that occurs on your campus. 07-coffee3

Yes, don't be besmirching us. Insulting or needling is fine, but not besmirchment.
09-22-2015 12:51 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(09-22-2015 12:51 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 11:42 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Don't burst his bubble.

Yes, don't be besmirching us. Insulting or needling is fine, but not besmirchment.
Hell we are even ok with slandering and defamation, but NO BESMIRCHING
09-22-2015 12:57 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-22-2015 12:49 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

Most of us realize the AAC is our likely greater goal for the near future. Sure some of us play devil's advocate and dream big but we know it isn't likely to get a P5 invite in the near future.

I know that the AAC is a "bigger" conference, but I honestly don't think that the difference is THAT pronounced at the g5 level, and I think that the MAC is better for NIU. I'm a huge fan of geography. In my honest opinion, rivalries are what make teams, and they are more likely to happen when fan bases overlap. Go ahead and schedule big OOC, but IMHO, you're crazy to give up the geographic tightness of the MAC. Having to live/work with/next to an alum of a conference foe is what drives fans to care. It's what drives them to donate, and it's what drives them to demand excellence. If I was NIU, I wouldn't give that up lightly.
09-22-2015 12:57 PM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

Yeah.... let's go ahead and table this talk during the off season! MAC is doing great thus, far. NIU fans should be focused on winning the conference again. I think NIU has the team to do it!
09-22-2015 01:13 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(09-22-2015 12:57 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I know that the AAC is a "bigger" conference, but I honestly don't think that the difference is THAT pronounced at the g5 level, and I think that the MAC is better for NIU. I'm a huge fan of geography. In my honest opinion, rivalries are what make teams, and they are more likely to happen when fan bases overlap. Go ahead and schedule big OOC, but IMHO, you're crazy to give up the geographic tightness of the MAC. Having to live/work with/next to an alum of a conference foe is what drives fans to care. It's what drives them to donate, and it's what drives them to demand excellence. If I was NIU, I wouldn't give that up lightly.
NIU doesn't have a real rival in the MAC...
09-22-2015 01:19 PM
Advertisement

HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

(09-22-2015 01:19 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

NIU has a non-rival... and NIU vs Non-Rival game this year is going to be FIRE.
09-22-2015 01:23 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(09-22-2015 01:23 PM)HuskieAlumnus03 Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 12:38 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  Stop talking about markets and stop talking about fans. If you want NIU in a power conference, give the school money (to improve academics and the overall athletic program - including non-football sports) and convince others to be fans. Pimping the school on an anon fan forum won't help.

Both could come in ranked, would be a huge game. Would they send gameday there then? I know Corso would be down to cover his former team and herbstreit is starting to see the light with NIU
09-22-2015 01:31 PM
HuskieAlumnus03 Offline
Special Teams

(09-22-2015 01:31 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 12:49 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Most of us realize the AAC is our likely greater goal for the near future. Sure some of us play devil's advocate and dream big but we know it isn't likely to get a P5 invite in the near future.

Both could come in ranked, would be a huge game. Would they send gameday there then? I know Corso would be down to cover his former team and herbstreit is starting to see the light with NIU

It wouldn't be the first. I was a freshman in college last time it happened. Definitely overdue.
09-22-2015 01:41 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-22-2015 01:31 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 12:49 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Most of us realize the AAC is our likely greater goal for the near future. Sure some of us play devil's advocate and dream big but we know it isn't likely to get a P5 invite in the near future.

No..... Its a Wednesday night MACtion game. We'll be lucky to get the D squad from ESPN.
09-22-2015 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.