Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC v Miami Nippert Only!
Bookmark and Share
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
UC v Miami Nippert Only!
Attendance was 18,800 of which likely 5,000 or more were UC fans.

From 1899 to 1971 the game was always in Cincinnati.

If Miami fan care this little the game needs to be at Nippert or not at all.

09-20-2015 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brian_Johnson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: UC v Miami Nippert Only!
05-deadhorse

09-21-2015 04:53 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Actually get back to beating down way overmatched Miami squads and we can talk.

09-21-2015 05:46 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
What about scheduling this game doing Octoberfest downtown every year?

This game on its own is a snoozer. It should never be at Yaeger. If we aren't going to cancel the series (which I wish we would) then at least make it part of an event.

Just a thought.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 06:20 AM by Bearcats#1.)
09-21-2015 06:19 AM
Bearcat85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: UC v Miami Nippert Only!
(09-20-2015 10:15 PM)dossbig Wrote:  Attendance was 18,800 of which likely 5,000 or more were UC fans.

I saw some pictures. If there were 10k there, I'd be surprised. But yea, maybe we could whip them like an FCS school and then complain we shouldn't play them.

09-21-2015 06:25 AM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(09-21-2015 06:19 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  What about scheduling this game doing Octoberfest downtown every year?

This game on its own is a snoozer. It should never be at Yaeger. If we aren't going to cancel the series (which I wish we would) then at least make it part of an event.

Just a thought.

X2.

09-21-2015 06:56 AM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Nippert or PBS is the way to go with this series. Could UC and Miami make more money by making this game a neutral site game at PBS by owning the TV rights each and selling it to FSO?

09-21-2015 07:08 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Beating Miami has nothing to do with it. Economics does. No reason to play home and home at a place with no revenue generating fans.

09-21-2015 07:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-21-2015 07:08 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Nippert or PBS is the way to go with this series. Could UC and Miami make more money by making this game a neutral site game at PBS by owning the TV rights each and selling it to FSO?

If UC couldn't make money at PBS, how is it that Miami can?

09-21-2015 07:58 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-20-2015 10:15 PM)dossbig Wrote:  Attendance was 18,800 of which likely 5,000 or more were UC fans.

I don't know that 5,000 were UC fans; I guesstimated around 3,000. I've never been overwhelmed by UC's attendance in Oxford. People call it "Nippert North," but I've never experienced anything like that.

On the comment about Miami fans caring little about this game, I got to Oxford on the late side and didn't didn't park my butt in my seat until the 10:30 mark in the second quarter. I parked on the southwest outskirts of Uptown Oxford and walked through the business district on the way to Yager.

The game was well underway, and the streets were flowing with student-types. One side street had several bars with large patios and all were packed with students.

I don't care one way or another what Miami students do with their time, but considering this was Homecoming and this is supposedly a rivalry game, it was interesting to see hundreds and hundreds of students drinking at the bars when this "important" game was being played a short walk away.

I bartended during my stint in Oxford. I know very well that there's not much to do there other than drink. You'd think the student body could interrupt their drinking for a few hours to go see a football game on what ended up being a rather pleasant day. It's not like they couldn't continue drinking after the game was over.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 08:30 AM by BearcatsUC.)
09-21-2015 08:05 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Miami students and alums were busy watching the Ohio State game.

09-21-2015 08:08 AM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Totally a side note, but one woman in my group who is not a graduate of either school kept commenting on how "douchey" all the Miami men looked. She was kind of right.

We were trying to figure out why half the guys there were wearing jerseys of professional teams. It's game day, and we weren't seeing "Miami." We're seeing LA Dodgers, Boston Celtics, etc.

09-21-2015 08:23 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(09-21-2015 08:05 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

I don't know that 5,000 were UC fans; I guesstimated around 3,000. I've never been overwhelmed by UC's attendance in Oxford. People call it "Nippert North," but I've never experienced anything like that.

On comment about Miami fans caring little about this game, I got to Oxford on the late side and didn't didn't park my butt in my seat until the 10:30 mark in the second quarter. I parked on the southwest outskirts of Uptown Oxford and walked through the business district on the way to Yager.

The game was well underway, and the streets were flowing with student-types. One side street had several bars with large patios and all were packed with students.

I don't care one way or another what Miami students do with their time, but considering this was Homecoming and this is supposedly a rivalry game, it was interesting to see hundreds and hundreds of students drinking at the bars when this "important" game was being played a short walk away.

I bartended during my stint in Oxford. I know very well that there's not much to do there other than drink. You'd think the student body could interrupt their drinking for a few hours to go see a football game on what ended up being a rather pleasant day. It's not like they couldn't continue drinking after the game was over.

The last 3 times I made the trip I'd say there were 5-10,000 Bearcat fans there depending on which year. This year I did not make it, but given the rainy forecast and the loss to Temple I don't doubt it was lower than it has been.

09-21-2015 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-21-2015 08:25 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

On comment about Miami fans caring little about this game, I got to Oxford on the late side and didn't didn't park my butt in my seat until the 10:30 mark in the second quarter. I parked on the southwest outskirts of Uptown Oxford and walked through the business district on the way to Yager.

The last 3 times I made the trip I'd say there were 5-10,000 Bearcat fans there depending on which year. This year I did not make it, but given the rainy forecast and the loss to Temple I don't doubt it was lower than it has been.

There are seven sections on the west side of Yager, the larger side of the stadium. Section 1 was completely full of UC fans. I was in Section 2, and that was mixed half and half I'd say - maybe 60/40 UC. The rest of the west side had a number of UC fans, but it was mostly Miami. The east side, of course, is the student section and that was half empty.

09-21-2015 08:36 AM
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(09-21-2015 08:36 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(09-21-2015 08:25 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

There are seven sections on the west side of Yager, the larger side of the stadium. Section 1 was completely full of UC fans. I was in Section 2, and that was mixed half and half I'd say - maybe 60/40 UC. The rest of the west side had a number of UC fans, but it was mostly Miami. The east side, of course, is the student section and that was half empty.

And of the full half on the East half was the band. It about Economics. If that few Redskiners care about the game it should not be in Oxford.

09-21-2015 09:21 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Consider this, the current batch of MU students have only known losing, hence they really don't care. UC isn't that far removed from the same, winning and being successful over the last decade has brought a pathetic student attendance to what they bring now. I surely remember the days of 10-13k a game attendance, with virtually zero students. MU is just on a huge downswing in athletics, winning on a consistent basis will go a long way if they ever want to improve attendance figures. But it is obvious, ole Biff and Buffy care less about football up there nowadays.

Anyway, i don't think the series should be dropped, but something needs to be done. Either play it at Nippert every year, or something like a 3 for 1 setup. Neutral field every year is BS, that benefits MU more than UC, especially UC being the team that will put more butts in the seats. UC should NEVER play a neutral field game against a lesser foe that will potentially be a money loser. UC cannot afford to lose money at this point in time.

09-21-2015 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Brian_Johnson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(09-21-2015 05:46 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Actually get back to beating down way overmatched Miami squads and we can talk.

My thoughts exactly.

09-21-2015 09:33 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-21-2015 09:33 AM)Brian_Johnson Wrote:  
(09-21-2015 05:46 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Actually get back to beating down way overmatched Miami squads and we can talk.

My thoughts exactly.

Exactly. Regularly beat them by 30, as we should, and then talk about ending the series. I have a feeling the win streak ends next year. Tubs has given them confidence and hope. Can we trade Tubb's staff for Martin's?

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 09:39 AM by bearcatmill.)
09-21-2015 09:38 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(09-21-2015 09:24 AM)FLIP Wrote:  Consider this, the current batch of MU students have only known losing, hence they really don't care. UC isn't that far removed from the same, winning and being successful over the last decade has brought a pathetic student attendance to what they bring now. I surely remember the days of 10-13k a game attendance, with virtually zero students. MU is just on a huge downswing in athletics, winning on a consistent basis will go a long way if they ever want to improve attendance figures. But it is obvious, ole Biff and Buffy care less about football up there nowadays.

Anyway, i don't think the series should be dropped, but something needs to be done. Either play it at Nippert every year, or something like a 3 for 1 setup. Neutral field every year is BS, that benefits MU more than UC, especially UC being the team that will put more butts in the seats. UC should NEVER play a neutral field game against a lesser foe that will potentially be a money loser. UC cannot afford to lose money at this point in time.

First paragraph is dead-on. Any fan base that has gone through a stretch of 4-8, 4-8, 0-12, and 2-10 with 8 of last 9 seasons being under .500 will not show up. Any MAC/Sun Belt team and most C-USA/MWC schools would draw just as bad if not worse than we are now.

Like I have said a few times on this forum, Miami will accept nothing less than a home-and-home series unless UC wants to pay us close to seven figures ever year to visit Nippert. We like the Victory Bell game, but we don't need it. We can just as easily get Marshall back on the schedule every year if you don't want to play us anymore.

09-21-2015 10:51 AM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-21-2015 09:38 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  
(09-21-2015 09:33 AM)Brian_Johnson Wrote:  

My thoughts exactly.

Exactly. Regularly beat them by 30, as we should, and then talk about ending the series. I have a feeling the win streak ends next year. Tubs has given them confidence and hope. Can we trade Tubb's staff for Martin's?

Isn't winning 10 years in a row enough? No way Every game can be a 30 point W. Check out lowly UCONN vs #23 Missouri and there are many other examples.

09-21-2015 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.