Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Would a win against Ole Miss be bigger than the win against Tennessee in 1996?
Bookmark and Share
Tgrrfan Offline
Which way is she turning?

I Root For: Memphis & ND
Exclamation Would a win against Ole Miss be bigger than the win against Tennessee in 1996?

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 10:51 AM by Tgrrfan.)
09-20-2015 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: Would a win against Ole Miss be bigger than the win against Tennessee in 1996?
Yes
09-20-2015 10:14 AM
Rocket City Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Would a win against Ole Miss be bigger than the win against Tennessee in 1996?
No. We had never beaten ut. Plus our team sucked then and we are decent now. Not even close in my opinion.
09-20-2015 10:14 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
It will be a lot bigger if we beat Cincinnati first - especially if we have a good crowd Thursday night on national TV. BE THERE!!! Ole Miss can go to hell.
09-20-2015 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocket City Offline
Banned

Our defense was much better in the ut game.
09-20-2015 10:15 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
No.

While beating Cincy next week will be more important...and there ended up being little to no residuals from the utk win...the emotional circumstances surrounding that game will always make it the biggest.
09-20-2015 10:17 AM
Advertisement

BERT56 Offline
Resident Slappy

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
If Ole Miss is in the Top 10 and we have no losses it could be the biggest win in our school's history. The win vs. ut was fun and exciting but did nothing to further the program. We continue to win after that game and we have a shot at a New Years Day Bowl.
09-20-2015 10:18 AM
mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Our program is on pace to be successful regardless of the outcome of this year's Ole Miss game.

The first win against Tennessee, is more significant from a historical perspective.
09-20-2015 10:26 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
After watching both teams, there is a decent chance that a 6-0 Ole Miss ranked somewhere between #5-#8 will be playing a 5-0 Memphis team ranked in the top 20-25. If we win that game, we could end up being ranked just outside of the top ten. That would be huge.
09-20-2015 10:31 AM
BERT56 Offline
Resident Slappy

I would trade any win over ut to be the G-5 representative any day.
09-20-2015 10:41 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: Would a win against Ole Miss be bigger than the win against Tennessee in 1996?
Negative. We've beaten them before
09-20-2015 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
Yes, depending on the outcome.

Fluke win -vs- Legit win (that spearheads a new era of Memphis football success)
09-20-2015 10:46 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Obviously the "96 win was a MUCH bigger upset, but beating an undefeated OM this year would mean more for the program moving forward.

Beating OM would be a national breakthrough for the program, putting us on the map because we are DAMN GOOD....... not because of a miracle upset.

There is a big difference in a Cinderella win and conquering an elite team when your program is ascending onto the national scene.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 10:57 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
09-20-2015 10:49 AM
cmt Online
Heisman

I Root For:
I have to agree. We beat Tennessee with Manning and we were not a good team. It was a huge win and a huge upset. We were 4-7 that season sandwiched in between a 4-7 and a 3-8 season. We lost to SW LA that season. No bowls, no nothing except the UTK game.

Beating Mississippi would be really great, but we are trying to get a conference championship, have another double digit win season. Go to a great bowl. PLus we've beaten them 10 times, one of only 3 P5 schools we have beaten 10 or more times. Mississippi State and Louisville, the others. Even though we are really good (for us) this year, Mississippi may have the best defense in the country and a decent offense. This is quite possibly the best team they have ever had (and they still won't win the SEC!). So, beating them would be unbelievably great, but not nearly the big deal beating UTK was way back then.
09-20-2015 10:55 AM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
Under the circumstances, beating Ole Miss could/would put us in position to launch our program into a TCU like trajectory. My vote is on beating Mrs.. That would be a tear down the goal post win in Memphis for the whole world to see.
09-20-2015 10:57 AM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

(09-20-2015 10:26 AM)mphsfan Wrote:  Our program is on pace to be successful regardless of the outcome of this year's Ole Miss game.

The first win against Tennessee, is more significant from a historical perspective.

This is accurate.

MEMPHIS had NEVER in its history beaten the Vols; that single game against # 6 UT was an improbable miracle victory. And it was THE crown jewel in an otherwise dismal 4-7 season.

As others said, MEMPHIS has beaten Mississippi 10 times, usually in bunches around seasons with very solid TIGER teams (1973-4-6, then again in 2003-4, plus other singular seasons like 1983, 87, and 94).

Obviously, the Rebels have a very solid, talented team this year. Alabama would concur, I suspect. And they will be heavily favored against MEMPHIS on 10-17, even if both teams are undefeated coming into the game.

No, if the TIGERS were to upset Mississippi on 10-17, it would NOT surpass the significance of the 1996 win over the Vols.
09-20-2015 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Tgrrfan Offline
Which way is she turning?

I Root For: Memphis & ND
Rookies

Ranking College Football’s 15 Most Difficult Schedules In 2015
CS Staff

9. Ole Miss

Ole Miss doesn’t have a particularly difficult non-conference schedule, as the Rebels get UT Martin, Fresno State, New Mexico State and Memphis. But the team’s SEC slate is brutal. The Rebels have road games at both Alabama and Auburn this year, and have to take on rival Mississippi State in Starkville for the Egg Bowl. They also have Florida, a team that should be playing inspired football under new head coach Jim McElwain, in Gainesville, for good measure. The team’s league games against Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Arkansas and LSU are all home.

Twitter/@marcushoover
Twitter/@marcushoover
9/5 – UT Martin
9/12 – Fresno State
9/19 – @Alabama
9/26 – Vanderbilt
10/3 – @Florida
10/10 – New Mexico State
10/17 – @Memphis
10/24 – Texas A&M
10/31 – @Auburn
11/7 – Arkansas
11/21 – LSU
11/28 – @Mississippi State
09-20-2015 11:17 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(09-20-2015 11:13 AM)boss man Wrote:  
(09-20-2015 10:26 AM)mphsfan Wrote:  Our program is on pace to be successful regardless of the outcome of this year's Ole Miss game.

This is accurate.

MEMPHIS had NEVER in its history beaten the Vols; that single game against # 6 UT was an improbable miracle victory. And it was THE crown jewel in an otherwise dismal 4-7 season.

As others said, MEMPHIS has beaten Mississippi 10 times, usually in bunches around seasons with very solid TIGER teams (1973-4-6, then again in 2003-4, plus other singular seasons like 1983, 87, and 94).

Obviously, the Rebels have a very solid, talented team this year. Alabama would concur, I suspect. And they will be heavily favored against MEMPHIS on 10-17, even if both teams are undefeated coming into the game.

No, if the TIGERS were to upset Mississippi on 10-17, it would NOT surpass the significance of the 1996 win over the Vols.

I couldn't disagree more.

A fluke Cinderella win is just that, a fluke.

Beating a top 10 team because you are becoming a nationally ranked program is on a whole other level.

Beating an undefeated OM would do much more for our program moving forward that the '96 win EVER did.

It would increase national exposure on a big time stage, boosting national rankings and recruiting more than the '96 win ever did.
09-20-2015 11:21 AM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(09-20-2015 11:21 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  
(09-20-2015 11:13 AM)boss man Wrote:  

This is accurate.

I couldn't disagree more.

A fluke Cinderella win is just that, a fluke.

Beating a top 10 team because you are becoming a nationally ranked program is on a whole other level.

Beating an undefeated OM would do much more for our program moving forward that the '96 win EVER did.

It would increase national exposure on a big time stage, boosting national rankings and recruiting more than the '96 win ever did.

I'm thinking the same thing. When we beat UT, National perception was probably UT lost more than Memphis won. We beat Ole Miss, and everyone will be saying Memphis is the real deal.
09-20-2015 11:33 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-20-2015 10:15 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  It will be a lot bigger if we beat Cincinnati first - especially if we have a good crowd Thursday night on national TV. BE THERE!!! Ole Miss can go to hell.

If somehow we play OM both undefeated and win it would be 10x bigger than the utk win in 1996. It might be less of an upset but it would be a major victory to continue to build on, not a fluke win to make us feel better.

NOT EVEN CLOSE..
09-20-2015 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.