Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NiU game with OSU
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
NiU game with OSU
that cowtown buck nuts program is predicting a 50 point blow out of NIU. No respect here for one of the top teams in the MAC. I guess they think that the Huskies are as bad as last year's Kent State game. Let's hope the huskies can give them a decent game.
09-18-2015 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: NiU game with OSU
Quote:I guess they think that the Huskies are as bad as last year's Kent State game. Let's hope the huskies can give them a decent game.

I think it's because:

- NIU last year was one of the least-feared 11W teams in history. One reason why they weren't close to being ranked going into bowl season. Too many barely-wins, some being barely-teams.

- It lost it's feeling of threat due to that + not having Lynch

- It needed a comeback to beat a not-much-better-than-Idaho team of UNLV, at home. Everyone knew (with a knock on wood) that the comeback would happen, but, it made people think "OH, this is just last year's NIU team that's still rebuilding post-Lynch?"

- It didn't impress against Murray State giving up too many points and being close 1st half, although in the 2nd half it showed that underneath it all, it could be breaking out

So in the end, with all the OSU hype -- you see the Huge margin of victory expected.

If you see the NIU that *CRUSHED* BGSU, and the NIU that played WMU last year *in the 2nd half* -- as opposed to the NIU that needed the whole 4th Q to beat EMU, struggling to beat Kent State, and getting absolutely crushed by Marshall -- then it could even be kinda Close for much of the game!

The point spread's about 35pts right now, which is Too High. Could happen, don't get me wrong. Depends which NIU team shows up. Could be within 13 pts, could be as far out as 44.
09-18-2015 06:09 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think OSU runs up the score this week. They were tired against Hawaii after playing on the road late on Monday night and coming back for a 3pm Saturday game. They looked sluggish. I don't see NIU being able to score on that defense with a sustained drive of any kind, but a quick strike TD is always a possibility. I'd say OSU by 40+.

I still don't see the reason for so much hate on OSU. Their obnoxious fans are 99% made up of those people that never went to school there - or anywhere for that matter. Doesn't mean they can't cheer for them. They just don't know any better and it gives them some purpose in life during football season. They have a casual connection to Toledo, only because they live in the city, but will always consider UT to be a distant 2nd choice. That's ok. Let them wear the OSU garb to a Toledo game - as long as they go and pull for Toledo. I don't like it when I see the idiots in scarlet and gray and then bi$&hing the whole game about how small time Toledo is and how the team they are playing sucks, etc. etc. Why worry about it - it is what it is. They are not going to change.
09-18-2015 08:09 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I could not have said it better about those OSU fans. Here is another thing that gulls me, alumni of BGSU, Ohio, Kent rooting for OSU when they play the schools that they graduated from. I know some of these people that live near me here in Dayton.

What is refreshing in Cincinnati, for the Octoberfest going on in that city this weekend in the downtown area, on the big screen they are showing the the Miami-UC game instead of the NIU-OSU game on Saturday.

I hope NIU will cover the point spread.
09-18-2015 09:57 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Their obnoxious fans are 99% made up of those people that never went to school there - or anywhere for that matter. Doesn't mean they can't cheer for them.

You can, that's totally fine. But if you went to Cinci, Akron, Kent, etc -- you should root for your college against OSU, first and foremost. It shouldn't ever be a question mark about that in your head -- UNLESS your team is at the Bottom of the barrel and it's near the end of the season and it would gain NOTHING to beat your secondary team you cheer for who has everything to lose and is sitting out starters, etc.

I have a friend who's a HUGE Walmart Wolverine -- he went to CMU. I went to WMU. *I* cheer for CMU over Michigan -- he does not even 1%! THAT is where it gets screwed up.

But if you didn't go to the school you cheer for, nor have a kid who's playing On That Team, nor live in the greater city limits of the school -- you can cheer for them (as long as it doesn't trump yours or a city/town it's from when playing each other).... but you CAN'T say "We". There is no "We" with Ohio State unless you fit one of those criteria.
09-19-2015 02:07 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2015 02:07 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Their obnoxious fans are 99% made up of those people that never went to school there - or anywhere for that matter. Doesn't mean they can't cheer for them.

You can, that's totally fine. But if you went to Cinci, Akron, Kent, etc -- you should root for your college against OSU, first and foremost. It shouldn't ever be a question mark about that in your head -- UNLESS your team is at the Bottom of the barrel and it's near the end of the season and it would gain NOTHING to beat your secondary team you cheer for who has everything to lose and is sitting out starters, etc.

It's a theory and I was all set to "Yeah! Yeah!" to it until I realized that UT has played my alma mater a few times and I LOVE my alma mater but I wasn't rooting for them in a single game. I wasn't really rooting against them but I was strongly rooting for UT if that makes any sense.

Simple reasoning, I was a UT fan LONG before I went to college. TV.

UT was very accessible athletically when I was a kid (you could actually watch them on real tv) and Academically, UT is very underrated due to state mandates, even Professors at my alma mater praised UT when they found I was from Toledo. Probably their one failing was community wise. I can't recall one interaction at school with a UT rep or program. The teachers were mostly from BG or UT, so that's another way rooting interests in the community took hold that weren't OSU, Mich, or ND, all of which were frequently on TV.
09-19-2015 07:59 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Huskies D picks one off, Niu rams it downOSU's throat for 7.5 a carry until they score. 7-0
09-19-2015 02:55 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Time for the refs to get involved.
09-19-2015 04:03 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
10-10 at the half.
09-19-2015 04:17 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

INTERCEPTION HUSKIES!!!! I bet that stadium is quite, real quiet. Just like our game against them.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2015 04:56 PM by inductchuck16.)
09-19-2015 04:56 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

Wow, umm...Huskies give it right back, pick 6 Buckeyes.
09-19-2015 04:57 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

(09-19-2015 04:57 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Wow, umm...Huskies give it right back, pick 6 Buckeyes.

Still, how about them HUSKIES. Bucknuts predicted a blow out. Way to bring your game to the horseshoe and represent the MAC
09-19-2015 05:53 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Interesting that Meyer said he was not upset with the team or his staff after last 2 performances - but I have a feeling the OC is getting an earful all week this week. What a screwed up game plan they came in with. Don't know what was going on, but it seemed like NIU knew every play they were going to run based on the formations they had. They also paid careful attention to the play action and defensed it well. LB's knew to drop back in coverage as soon as the ball was pulled back by the QB.

I don't see that team repeating as national champs - and good possibility they don't make the playoffs. Not sure what other losses they had, but a few of them seem to be killing this team - Hermann perhaps being the biggest loss.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 10:46 AM by MotoRocket.)
09-20-2015 10:45 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Losing Herman might be a bit too much for them.
09-20-2015 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.