Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jersey Auction Scam!
Bookmark and Share
flair6 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
Jersey Auction Scam!
It's hard to imagine but the jersey auction left me really miffed with NIU. I had received an email from someone running the auction the day before close that my bids of $200 on two jerseys did not meet the minimum bid required. She asked if I wanted to change it to $250 to qualify for the jersey. I told her to put my bid to $250 on only one of them. Fortunately I won that jersey at the the $250 required minimum. Only seconds after the auction closes I get an automated email that NIU would like to offer me the 2nd jersey I was the highest bidder on even though it didn't meet the $250. Basically they jacked the price on me for the first jersey. They didn't allow the bidding process to play out they jacked me. Sham!!!
09-17-2015 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

RE: Jersey Auction Scam!
You didn't have to say yes...
09-17-2015 10:23 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

They said they were going to do the secondary sale in the Ts & Cs. So you got squeezed to donate $50 extra to athletics...is it really that bad?
09-17-2015 10:39 PM
Huskie BBQ'r Offline
Bench Warmer

I got the same email, I just went back to the site & raised my max bid to the reserve met price of $250 & won it with no problems. I checked my bank app & it went through under "College Sports Stores, Carlsbad CA." All said & done $280.63
Just awaiting shipping confirmation
09-17-2015 10:44 PM
Huskie BBQ'r Offline
Bench Warmer

All seemed fine to me with the auction. Surprised how many had zero bids though! These are really sharp & cool looking jerseys
09-17-2015 10:46 PM
Advertisement

sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-17-2015 10:46 PM)Huskie BBQr Wrote:  All seemed fine to me with the auction. Surprised how many had zero bids though! These are really sharp & cool looking jerseys

Wow, how many of these jerseys did they have to auction?
At most maybe 80?
Really speaks volumes that a program like NIU can't muster up enough people to move every one of those jerseys. This isn't Big 12 type support or even AAC for that matter.
This ones on the fans, not the players or admin.
And, yes, I got one.
09-18-2015 06:52 AM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(09-18-2015 06:52 AM)sportsfan Wrote:  
(09-17-2015 10:46 PM)Huskie BBQr Wrote:  All seemed fine to me with the auction. Surprised how many had zero bids though! These are really sharp & cool looking jerseys

At most maybe 80?
Really speaks volumes that a program like NIU can't muster up enough people to move every one of those jerseys. This isn't Big 12 type support or even AAC for that matter.
And, yes, I got one.

all numbers were represented. Going by the game notes player activity from game 1 some of the jerseys were on players who did not play. So all are game issued, a few did not play.
09-18-2015 07:04 AM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(09-17-2015 09:48 PM)flair6 Wrote:  It's hard to imagine but the jersey auction left me really miffed with NIU. I had received an email from someone running the auction the day before close that my bids of $200 on two jerseys did not meet the minimum bid required. She asked if I wanted to change it to $250 to qualify for the jersey. I told her to put my bid to $250 on only one of them. Fortunately I won that jersey at the the $250 required minimum. Only seconds after the auction closes I get an automated email that NIU would like to offer me the 2nd jersey I was the highest bidder on even though it didn't meet the $250. Basically they jacked the price on me for the first jersey. They didn't allow the bidding process to play out they jacked me. Sham!!!

it was clearly stated in the terms that jerseys not meeting the reserve, could at their discretion, be offered to the high bidder at their top bid. Its even on every bid notice email:

If the highest bid at auction close does not meet the Reserve Price, CBS SPORTS Online Auctions is not required to sell the item. In this case, CBS SPORTS Online Auctions may contact the highest bidder whose offer was below the reserve price to offer the auction at the final bid price. Bidders who are contacted under these circumstances, however, are under no obligation to purchase the item.

When I got the message from Laura I declined and said I didn't need to since they still might sell it to me. and she said that was not the case.

Thank you so much for your response Mr. XXX, and my apologies for any confusion! Yes, NIU Athletics has stated that $250 is the minimum amount they will accept for each jersey, so that's why we have the reserve in place. They asked me to email everyone with bid slightly under that amount today, just in case the listing page language was unclear. And once bidding has reached the minimum reserve for a jersey, the little note in red changes to read "The reserve price has been met." Thanks!
09-18-2015 07:16 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

At most maybe 80?
And, yes, I got one.

Yes our real fanbase size sucks.

It also did not help that this is the 3rd year doing it the jersey auction and it has watered down the market.

Also I think if the bidding had started the Monday after they revealed these that it would have gotten a little more interest with early bidding.
09-18-2015 08:07 AM
Advertisement

thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-18-2015 08:07 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

At most maybe 80?
And, yes, I got one.

Yes our real fanbase size sucks.

It also did not help that this is the 3rd year doing it the jersey auction and it has watered down the market.

Also I think if the bidding had started the Monday after they revealed these that it would have gotten a little more interest with early bidding.

agreed. while i'm glad i held out to get one of these, and the idea of auctioning off jerseys is a great idea, the market is getting tired/saturated on this. it isn't an issue of fandom. i have four jerseys, and collect them, but I only collect what i consider meaningful items.

i have no interest in jordan lynch's used cleats from a random EMU game. I have no interest in a jersey from a senseless pummeling of Presbyterian. Everyone has their own interpretation of value. I found the 50th anniversary jerseys to be worth it. To others a random OOC game against UNLV might not hold sway.

... now the jersey Robinson wore against Fresno State? sign me up.
09-18-2015 09:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
There may have been more interest than you think. Many people bid but were outbid. A friend of mine bid several hundred dollars on a jersey and was outbid.
09-18-2015 09:28 AM
Kansacity88 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU, ILL, & ISU
I've never bid on them because.....well....the wife does the finances and we've had a baby on the way each of the past two times I've actually considered bidding but what happens to the ones that DONT receive bids at all??
09-18-2015 09:42 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
(09-18-2015 09:42 AM)Kansacity88 Wrote:  I've never bid on them because.....well....the wife does the finances and we've had a baby on the way each of the past two times I've actually considered bidding but what happens to the ones that DONT receive bids at all??

They'll probably just sell them later.
09-18-2015 10:47 AM
Advertisement

HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU

At most maybe 80?
And, yes, I got one.

Like HuskieJohn said - this is 3rd set of jerseys to be auctioned. Also - many of us just can't afford to buy one. It's not that we don't want to.
09-18-2015 11:03 AM
NIUHuskie4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU & WMU
(09-18-2015 11:03 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  

At most maybe 80?
And, yes, I got one.

Like HuskieJohn said - this is 3rd set of jerseys to be auctioned. Also - many of us just can't afford to buy one. It's not that we don't want to.

Say what you want too...but they're very expensive. I know it's going towards a great cause, but to second the above point...very expensive for most folks to muster up for a jersey.
09-18-2015 11:39 AM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
I don't bid, because what am I going to do with jersey
09-18-2015 11:45 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

This raised about 12k. I wonder how much athletics gets after expenses.
09-18-2015 01:04 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

Yeah, i'ts a nice fun thing...but some people are not goin got care about this sort of thing. And especially with these jerseys...cool that they're throw backs, but I don't really care to have a 50 year old jersey with some random number on it. I have a feeling the important #'s go for plenty, but people are less likely to shell out a lot of money for 59 or 29.
09-18-2015 03:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.