Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Did ya'll hear about THIS MAP!!???
Bookmark and Share
Eagle4Christ Offline
Thread killer

I Root For: Memphis
Did ya'll hear about THIS MAP!!???
That shows what people call coke throughout the USA on a county-by-county basis?

[Image: 2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png]

So cool
09-16-2015 03:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Did ya'll hear about THIS MAP!!???
Now that's a useful map. Thanks.
09-16-2015 03:12 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
thanks. I never knew how big my county was till now.
09-16-2015 03:25 PM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
Kid that lived across the street from me growing up was from New York. We used to rag on him all the time for calling it soda instead of coke. He never did change though.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 03:35 PM by UofM_Tiger.)
09-16-2015 03:35 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I didn't like people who called it pop. Pretty sure they were all Yankees. What about sody pop?
09-16-2015 03:49 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

What on earth do the "other" areas call it?
09-16-2015 04:01 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
That is the dumbest thing.

In ALL my years waiting tables, no one in the south EVER asked for a Coke and when I brought one out, said "No, I wanted a Sprite."

Nor did anyone ever ask me "What kind of Coke do you have?"

Sure, in the north and midwest, people might ask "what kind of pop/soda do you have" but down here, folks just ask for the specific drink. If they ask for a diet coke and the place serves diet Pepsi, I would just say that.
09-16-2015 04:18 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
How ridiculous. Pop? Who the hell calls it that? All I've ever said, or heard said, is 'what kind of Coke do you have?' If they answer "Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite..." I reply "Iced tea, please." If they answer "Pepsi", I order a diet.

Occasionally heard soda, but never, ever Pop.
09-16-2015 07:43 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

Your logic lost me, except Iced Tea sounds good.
09-16-2015 09:13 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(09-16-2015 04:18 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  That is the dumbest thing.

In ALL my years waiting tables, no one in the south EVER asked for a Coke and when I brought one out, said "No, I wanted a Sprite."

Nor did anyone ever ask me "What kind of Coke do you have?"

Sure, in the north and midwest, people might ask "what kind of pop/soda do you have" but down here, folks just ask for the specific drink. If they ask for a diet coke and the place serves diet Pepsi, I would just say that.

I remember it when I was a kid (a 100 or so years ago). We called everything "coke". It's embarrassing for me to admit that, but it happened. Can't imagine anyone saying that now. Due to my years in the NE and elsewhere, I became accustomed to "soda". It stuck. Anyone that says "Pop" should be slapped in the face.
09-16-2015 09:38 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(09-16-2015 09:13 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Your logic lost me, except Iced Tea sounds good.

'Coke' is the generic term, as GT admits then tries to deny has happened recently, but we all know better.
09-16-2015 10:35 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(09-16-2015 10:35 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 09:13 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Your logic lost me, except Iced Tea sounds good.

'Coke' is the generic term, as GT admits then tries to deny has happened recently, but we all know better.

But surely you didn't call the orange ones and the purples ones a coke. Only the caramel colored ones were cokes...right?
09-16-2015 11:15 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(09-16-2015 11:15 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

But surely you didn't call the orange ones and the purples ones a coke. Only the caramel colored ones were cokes...right?

Nope, all carbonated drinks. "What kind of cokes you got?" Substitute 'soda' for 'coke', meant the same thing. Still does.
09-16-2015 11:17 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(09-16-2015 11:17 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Nope, all carbonated drinks. "What kind of cokes you got?" Substitute 'soda' for 'coke', meant the same thing. Still does.

I grew up there too ya know. I called the purple ones grapes. I'll have a grape. The orange ones....I can't remember what I called them. Maybe it was just an 'orange'.

But Dr Pepper...did you call a Dr Pepper a coke? How could you ever get anyone to give you a Dr Pepper if you called it a coke? Did you ever drink a Dr. Pepper? This is upsetting to me. LOL.

I remember calling a pepsi a coke. I'll give ya that. At Shoney's you could get a cherry coke and a cherry orange. Cherry oranges tasted tropical. I'm beginning to believe my 'diversity' that landed me on the left coast started earlier than I thought.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 11:26 PM by snowtiger.)
09-16-2015 11:23 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(09-16-2015 11:23 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

I grew up there too ya know. I called the purple ones grapes. I'll have a grape. The orange ones....I can't remember what I called them. Maybe it was just an 'orange'.

But Dr Pepper...did you call a Dr Pepper a coke? How could you ever get anyone to give you a Dr Pepper if you called it a coke? Did you ever drink a Dr. Pepper? This is upsetting to me. LOL.

I remember calling a pepsi a coke. I'll give ya that. At Shoney's you could get a cherry coke and a cherry orange. Cherry oranges tasted tropical. I'm beginning to believe my 'diversity' that landed me on the left coast started earlier than I thought.

Cola angst! I could never drink Dr. Pepper, although I did sometimes when it's all I could get. Sugar was sugar. I did love me some cherry Coke, though. As for you going west, Memphis wasn't big enough to hold you.
09-16-2015 11:38 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
(09-16-2015 11:38 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 11:23 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(09-16-2015 10:35 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  'Coke' is the generic term, as GT admits then tries to deny has happened recently, but we all know better.

Cola angst! I could never drink Dr. Pepper, although I did sometimes when it's all I could get. Sugar was sugar. I did love me some cherry Coke, though. As for you going west, Memphis wasn't big enough to hold you.

Wasn't big enough to hold many of us, without an interruption, but I always knew where home was.
09-16-2015 11:46 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

Wait. There were chocolate ones too. Y'all couldn't have called the chocolate ones cokes.
09-17-2015 12:06 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

Donators
[Image: 610492_1_l.jpg]

Or in a pinch...

[Image: yoo-hoo_chocolate_12oz-bottle_l.png]
09-17-2015 01:06 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

LOL. I never had a soldier one, and he was sterilized. Holy crap that's funny.

I was gonna search Yahoo. Yoohoo. :D
09-17-2015 01:15 AM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Chocolate Soldiers were great. I remember my Dad would say, "I'm going to the store what kind of cokes do y'all want. We called everything a coke. Mom drank Dr. Pepper, we knew the difference, but they were all cokes to us.
09-17-2015 07:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.