Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arkansas players going down left and right, overweight and tired!
Bookmark and Share
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Arkansas players going down left and right, overweight and tired!
I don't wish injuries upon any team, but it appeared near the end of the game that Arkansas must have had a least six players leave the game with injuries. On the conditioning front, many of them had their hands on their hips near the end of the game and our guys did not even know Arkansas won the time of possession handily. The weight of their offensive line sounded impressive at first but it didnt really help them establish the run game. They couldnt get it done with their size and held a lot and got called for it some of the time. Maybe their team just hasn't conditioned very well? Their head coach doesn't seem to be the type of guy that preaches lean and mean, but more of a eat a lot of food mentality the way he and his offensive line look. I bet he weighs about 300 pounds himself. If they are heavier then all NFL lines then is that good or a problem? Seems to me they have a problem if all NFL lines are leaner, meaner and weigh less. College players should not weigh as much as NFL players. They were not pushing our guys around by any means. Anyone else have some insight on these three topics?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 07:33 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
09-13-2015 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ToledoMike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Arkansas players going down left and right, overweight and tired!
(09-13-2015 07:29 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  I don't wish injuries upon any team, but it appeared near the end of the game that Arkansas must have had a least six players leave the game with injuries. On the conditioning front, many of them had their hands on their hips near the end of the game and our guys did not even know Arkansas won the time of possession handily. The weight of their offensive line sounded impressive at first but it didnt really help them establish the run game. They couldnt get it done with their size and held a lot and got called for it some of the time. Maybe their team just hasn't conditioned very well? Their head coach doesn't seem to be the type of guy that preaches lean and mean, but more of a eat a lot of food mentality the way he and his offensive line look. I bet he weighs about 300 pounds himself. If they are heavier then all NFL lines then is that good or a problem? Seems to me they have a problem if all NFL lines are leaner, meaner and weigh less. College players should not weigh as much as NFL players. They were not pushing our guys around by any means. Anyone else have some insight on these three topics?

Yes, it was obvious there was a problem. A conditioned 300 lb offensive lineman is much better than an unconditioned 340 lb lineman. I was lurking in the Arkansas forums I found last night and one thread had a bunch of guys arguing and complaining about conditioning and how they implemented their two-a-days. One guy was saying that he had been preaching for the last two years about how this team can't block properly due to said conditioning status etc. He was wondering if everyone else believed him now. So yeah, after yesterday, I think there is going to be a lot of talk about conditioning. Those boys are going to be running this week!

As you said, I don't wish injuries upon anyone or any team. Hopefully the young men that were down yesterday are doing much better today. What about their return man that was carted off. Anybody hear anything more on him? That one did look very serious and I really hope that it looked worse than it was.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 07:54 AM by ToledoMike.)
09-13-2015 07:51 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-13-2015 07:51 AM)ToledoMike Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 07:29 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  I don't wish injuries upon any team, but it appeared near the end of the game that Arkansas must have had a least six players leave the game with injuries. On the conditioning front, many of them had their hands on their hips near the end of the game and our guys did not even know Arkansas won the time of possession handily. The weight of their offensive line sounded impressive at first but it didnt really help them establish the run game. They couldnt get it done with their size and held a lot and got called for it some of the time. Maybe their team just hasn't conditioned very well? Their head coach doesn't seem to be the type of guy that preaches lean and mean, but more of a eat a lot of food mentality the way he and his offensive line look. I bet he weighs about 300 pounds himself. If they are heavier then all NFL lines then is that good or a problem? Seems to me they have a problem if all NFL lines are leaner, meaner and weigh less. College players should not weigh as much as NFL players. They were not pushing our guys around by any means. Anyone else have some insight on these three topics?

Yes, it was obvious there was a problem. A conditioned 300 lb offensive lineman is much better than an unconditioned 340 lb lineman. I was lurking in the Arkansas forums I found last night and one thread had a bunch of guys arguing and complaining about conditioning and how they implemented their two-a-days. One guy was saying that he had been preaching for the last two years about how this team can't block properly due to said conditioning status etc. He was wondering if everyone else believed him now. So yeah, after yesterday, I think there is going to be a lot of talk about conditioning. Those boys are going to be running this week!

As you said, I don't wish injuries upon anyone or any team. Hopefully the young men that were down yesterday are doing much better today. What about their return man that was carted off. Anybody hear anything more on him? That one did look very serious and I really hope that it looked worse than it was.

Big, lean, and mean!
09-13-2015 08:04 AM
Henry Burlingame Offline
Special Teams

Many years ago Ohio State went west to play Arizona. At the time, the Arizona offensive and defensive lines were huge, the biggest in college football and bigger than a lot of NFL teams. Ohio State was a little undersized. OSU controlled the lines of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and won easily. After the game the OSU players were asked how they managed to control Arizona's linemen and one of the players said, "They were big --- and fat."
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:28 AM by Henry Burlingame.)
09-13-2015 08:26 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I DVR'd the game and watched it about 10pm...which allowed me to replay a lot of times. For as many holding calls as Arkansas had on them, there were more that should have been called. Toledo was running right around them and they were reaching out and grabbing a lot of jersey to slow the UT guys down. I was glad to see that UT did not shoot themselves in the foot/feet with a lot of penalties - but that is what Arkansas did.
09-13-2015 09:08 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Bielema known for having pretty good o-lines at Wisconsin? THis seems an odd development. Maybe our D was just that much better conditioned?
09-13-2015 12:00 PM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

No one has made mention that by rule, Arkansas should not have been able to run the last play or two. When the last Arkansas player got hurt, they were out of TOs. By rule, there should have been a 10 sec. run off after the last injury timeout.
09-13-2015 12:14 PM
Advertisement

JCannon21 Offline
Special Teams

(09-13-2015 12:14 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  No one has made mention that by rule, Arkansas should not have been able to run the last play or two. When the last Arkansas player got hurt, they were out of TOs. By rule, there should have been a 10 sec. run off after the last injury timeout.

Why am I now surprised they were allowed to run the plays
09-13-2015 12:15 PM
Rocket4Life Offline
2nd String

(09-13-2015 12:14 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  No one has made mention that by rule, Arkansas should not have been able to run the last play or two. When the last Arkansas player got hurt, they were out of TOs. By rule, there should have been a 10 sec. run off after the last injury timeout.

I dont believe there is a runoff when it's a deadball (it was after an incomplete pass). If there was really supposed to be a 10 second runoff, MC would have been going nuts and we would have heard about it by now.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 12:28 PM by Rocket4Life.)
09-13-2015 12:27 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2015 12:27 PM)Rocket4Life Wrote:  

I dont believe there is a runoff when it's a deadball (it was after an incomplete pass). If there was really supposed to be a 10 second runoff, MC would have been going nuts and we would have heard about it by now.

Correct. Since the clock was already stopped, no runoff. Here's the rule:

Quote:f. If the player injury is the only reason for stopping the clock (other than his or a teammate’s helmet coming off, Rule 3-3-9) with less than one minute in the half, the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff.
09-13-2015 12:35 PM
Advertisement

letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

(09-13-2015 12:35 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 12:27 PM)Rocket4Life Wrote:  

Correct. Since the clock was already stopped, no runoff. Here's the rule:

Quote:f. If the player injury is the only reason for stopping the clock (other than his or a teammate’s helmet coming off, Rule 3-3-9) with less than one minute in the half, the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
09-13-2015 01:53 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

If there is a glaring deficiency in the Arkansas program, it is with strength and conditioning.
09-13-2015 05:31 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

I've been looking all over for reports on Eric Hawkins - the fellow who went off on the stretcher, and can't find any stories that report his condition. But I did find that he is reporting on Instagram that he is fine, https://instagram.com/p/7n13BECY5P/ Very glad to hear that.

However, it turns out that UA's leading receiver had a foot injury, and has had surgery and is out 6 weeks. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-six-weeks

Watched some of the game this morning before work, and I cannot recall a game with so many injuries to players from one team. Man. I think maybe UT beat up on them too bad, which will hurt their chances to have a great remainder of the season.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 05:52 PM by northcoastRocket.)
09-14-2015 05:51 PM
Advertisement

Sleepy Offline
1st String

A couple of those last minute injuries made me very suspicious of efforts to stop the clock and regardless Arkansas benefited with extra attempts to get into the end zone.
09-14-2015 06:09 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-14-2015 06:09 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  A couple of those last minute injuries made me very suspicious of efforts to stop the clock and regardless Arkansas benefited with extra attempts to get into the end zone.

Only had dead ball injuries which don't stop the clock.
09-14-2015 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.