Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple game observations/going forward
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Temple game observations/going forward
1. Temple is just better than UC. Better coaching, evidently a better RB and better offensive line.
2. UC special teams play is awful.
3. UC was outcoached. Temple must have seen they could run to the outside on UC so they did it all night long. I think UC has one running play that they use and it is never to the outside.
4. The UC passing game plan appeared to be throw it quickly to aviod sacks. Kiel had decent protection most of the night though.
5. Kiel is not ready for prime time. He locks in on one receiver just about every pass play. He had a bad game despite the gaudy passing yards number.
6. UC needs to make Mike Boone the sole RB and use him most of the time - like Temple does with their speedy RB.

One positive -

7. UC did not give up. We did and left at 34-19. I give them credit for almost coming back.

The next 4 games and beyond -

8. UC could easily lose 3 of the next 4. They will lose at Memphis and at BYU as they are just better than UC. They should beat Miami (OH). They could beat Miami (FL). UC could be 2-4 after 6 games.

9. Can Tubervillle ever win a game against a quality opponent when that opponent is playing well? What do you consider to be his biggest win here? Does he even have a 'big' win yet? I don't think so.

09-13-2015 06:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Temple game observations/going forward
For the second year in a row we hired a grad assistant to be a special teams coach for the first time. It reared its ugly head again.

Anyone think Clinkscales survives this year? I don't. Tubs is not going to take the well deserved heat frombtge fans and donors without moving on to his 6th DC in 7 years. It's like being divorced 4 times....at some point it might be you, not them.

Once again there was one team fired up on the sideline with coaches exuding energy and one team that looked like they were studying for exams. Guess which ones were which?

Keil is apparently easily fooled by shifting defensive packages. He was developing some David Klingler nervous feet last night. The game seems to speed up for him in big games.

Gran did not help him much, however.

Tubby will clean up against the inferior competition and then say we still don't have the players to compete yet. Bullsh!t. This team has plenty of talent. It's not a very well coached and disciplined team. These ragged games that we give away have common themes.

As an answer to your last question as to our "big" wins the last 3 seasons, Houston who was so good they fired their coach in the post game interview and an AAC tied for 4th place ECU team. That's the list.

Not game related but for the love of God, can we please stop the love affair this staff has with the white helmets?

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 07:10 AM by rath v2.0.)
09-13-2015 06:49 AM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
I'm not happy but we did dominate Temple on both sides of the ball. Special teams were garbage and Gunner had some dumb dumb throws.

They won't lose three of the next four.

09-13-2015 07:19 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
we out gained Temple in total yards, first downs, and about everything else and still lost.

turnovers will do that to you

that

and piss poor coaching and special teams play

that sums up the game:

Piss poor coaching, piss poor special teams play, turnovers

09-13-2015 07:21 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I've been thinking about this...

I don't know if Tuberville is "taking us backwards" but it seems somewhat obvious that he certainly is not taking us "to the next level" either. This program has hit a plateau. If we are satisfied of being a "pretty good" G5 program and going to bowl games 3-out-of-4 years, perhaps going to the CCG every-now-and-then, then we're there. Nothing wrong with being "a pretty good" team...hell, as a few on these pages have noted, when you "put it into perspective," there were whole generations who would have given body parts just to be a "pretty good" team. Hell, remember when the Boise Bowl was an amazing achievement?

Maybe UC fans have to be content with where we are. Winning between 7-and-10 games a year is better than most.

09-13-2015 07:30 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
If that is the expectation, hire a cheaper coach and slash our UCAT levels and ticket prices accordingly.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 07:34 AM by rath v2.0.)
09-13-2015 07:33 AM
Advertisement

glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

I Root For: air joiner
I have had to work to care about football this year. It should be a dying sport, this society can do better.

That said, it was obvious which team was willing to play with violence, and which was less willing.

09-13-2015 07:38 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Under Tubs UC gets punched in the mouth and they don't respond in kind.

Under Tubs the general look and feel to the team is "Golly gee wiz I'm happy to be here. If we win great if we lose great. It's not about winning and losing."

09-13-2015 07:49 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
We doubled them in total yards and lost by 8. Hard to do

09-13-2015 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(09-13-2015 07:38 AM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  I have had to work to care about football this year. It should be a dying sport, this society can do better.

That said, it was obvious which team was willing to play with violence, and which was less willing.

Men and women bouncing hard round balls off their heads, knees ripped apart, ankle injuries, and I'm sure many other sport specific concerns.

Can the same not be said for soccer?

09-13-2015 08:06 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Geez, after four interceptions, you'd think Gunner would be getting a little more heat here. Incredible how this guy gets a pass. Munchie got more criticism when UC won games than Kiel gets when we lose.

09-13-2015 08:07 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-13-2015 08:07 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Geez, after four interceptions, you'd think Gunner would be getting a little more heat here. Incredible how this guy gets a pass. Munchie got more criticism when UC won games than Kiel gets when we lose.

I was just thinking the same thing. We doubled their yardage but quintupled their turnovers, you will NEVER (quite literally, it's only happened twice since 2005) win a football game doing that.

09-13-2015 08:10 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Temple was the better team. Maybe UC had more talent but you could clearly see which team was more prepared and had a game plan going in. Losing this week to Temple automatically doesn't equal the season is over or that UC will lose to Memphis, Miami FL, or BYU.

It does get frustrating watching this coaching staff bungle the conference opener every season. They will probably figure it out enough to win 8 or 9 games again; however, the schedule is much more of challenge this season.

Next step is to keep the victory bell.

On a side note, I continue to be less than impressed with the Nippert renovation. I feel a lot of the charm has been lost due to the size of the new structure. Yes, it generates revenue but it is still sad that it blocks the view of the campus on the west side. Students need to learn when to make noise, when to cheer, and when to be quiet. When the band is playing you don't bang noisemakers, cheer and chant along. The sound system is used to often and it still is awful. Food and restroom lines were very crowded. UC should invest in TV in TUC's food court. If someone wants to take a break from the stadium they can eat in the food court without missing a play, it also will allow those that that don't have a ticket to enjoy tailgating and other pregame activities.

09-13-2015 08:13 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-13-2015 08:07 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Geez, after four interceptions, you'd think Gunner would be getting a little more heat here. Incredible how this guy gets a pass. Munchie got more criticism when UC won games than Kiel gets when we lose.

2 were tipped, on another receiver ran the wrong route (from Tubs not me).
He made a couple of bad throws, but in way is he Munchie 2011 bad. Fell behind, he had to to sling it 52 times. Kicking FGs early and not getting TDs hurt.

09-13-2015 08:13 AM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(09-13-2015 07:33 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  If that is the expectation, hire a cheaper coach and slash our UCAT levels and ticket prices accordingly.

Yeah.....that's not happening.

09-13-2015 08:15 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Then neither should lowering reasonable expectations of success.

09-13-2015 08:29 AM
Advertisement

glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 08:06 AM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 07:38 AM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  I have had to work to care about football this year. It should be a dying sport, this society can do better.

Men and women bouncing hard round balls off their heads, knees ripped apart, ankle injuries, and I'm sure many other sport specific concerns.

An arthritic knee won't make you unable to talk to your grandkid. A broken brain will.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:35 AM by glacier_dropsy.)
09-13-2015 08:29 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(09-13-2015 08:29 AM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  

Am arthritic knee won't make you unable to talk to your grandkid. A broken brain will.

Don't fool yourself. Soccer has a huge problem with CTE as well.

09-13-2015 08:34 AM
glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 08:34 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 08:29 AM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  

Am arthritic knee won't make you unable to talk to your grandkid. A broken brain will.

Don't fool yourself. Soccer has a huge problem with CTE as well.

Football, boxing, and MMA are the gladiator sports for this empire. Soccer is popular worlwide for a reason. It has its issues, but it is not fighters killing themselves for the enjoyment of the crowd.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:59 AM by glacier_dropsy.)
09-13-2015 08:53 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
Very disappointed with last night's result. I thought the game was lost in the first half with the Hosey fumble, Holton dropped passes, and the 15 yard penalty that backs us out of the red zone. If we jump on them early, we force their quarterback to beat us. We compound this with terrible special teams and turnovers. Gunnar has two interceptions inside the twenty and we forget the hidden turnover(onside kick by Temple). Whats more, the coaching was terrible. If Tubbs did not sound so lucid in interviews, I would swear he was senile with his play calls. Why do you go for two early. Stupid decision, but he further compounds the issue when it the third quarter he is down by 22. At this point he needs a two point conversion in a greater than 21 point game. He needs to go for two on the first td scored. If he makes it the issue is cured, if he misses, he needs to go for two the next two tds. It is about controlling risk. Instead, it almost seems that he relies on luck at the end of the game. Next, why do you onside kick. All three timeouts, and over three minutes left is plenty of time. Again, he is relying on luck to bail him out.

Positives from the game. The defense played 3 good quarters of football. Other than the third quarter, We shut their run and pass down. It was not like last year, when we were manhandled all game long. I thought Brown had some nice tackles, and the defensive line was not dominated. Temple was unable to salt the game away in the 4th, because we force some 3 and outs.

Secondly, I really liked Tions performance. He ran very hard, broke tackles and picked up critical yards. Even Matekeavich could not bring him down with a solo tackle. I would scale back Hosey's carries to accommodate Tion and Boone.

Thirdly, the offensive line did not give up many sacks. Last week, Temple had 10 sacks. On most possessions, Gunnar had plenty of time to pass.

Fourthly, Coverage was pretty good. Dbs were in the right place making plays on the ball. Last year, wrs were running wide open. Not the case today. PJ made a great throw on his td pass.

Lastly, we can beat anyone left on our schedule. The loss was early enough in the season, so we can recover. Notwithstanding, 6 turnovers, a kickoff returned for a td and some horrible coaching, at the end of the game we are throwing the ball into the endzone with a chance to tie. Temple still plays ECU and Memphis. Lots of football, so we as fans can do a much better job supporting our team.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 09:26 AM by rosewater.)
09-13-2015 09:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.