Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice UT Post Game Thoughts (Positive?)
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
Rice UT Post Game Thoughts (Positive?)
First of all, I am very disappointed in this loss. Texas' offense accounted for 21 points. Special teams led to 14 points. An poor decision regarding pitching the ball led to 7 points. We had three red zone turnovers. Three!!! On a night were Texas' Defense had no answer for our run game. This loss is 1 part special teams and 3 parts turnovers. Turnovers and special teams.

With that said, the sky is not falling:

1. Offensive line - one word: Dominant. I don't know why Trey Martin got the starting nod over Spencer Stanley, but as whole the unit performed extremely well.

2. Running backs - Samuel Stewart just had his coming out party. It's going to be very difficult distributing reps when Jowan returns.

3. Defense - It's easy to look at the scoreboard and think that the defense gave up 42 points. But that is not true. Obviously we need to better coach our guys to get their heads around, but the reality is that the defense performed very well. Jonathan Gray did not have his way with us. And although Heard rushed for nearly 100 yards, we can fix that by working on our gap integrity and containment.

4. Talent - We belong on the field with Texas. Period. Fix the special teams and fix the turnovers and there isn't anyone left on our schedule that we can't beat...Baylor perhaps being the exception.
09-12-2015 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice UT Post Game Thoughts (Positive?)
I agree with your positives. Worried about Driphus after 2 poor games throwing to start the year. Walter for 100+ last week and Stewart for 100+ this week, the future at RB looks bright.
09-12-2015 11:23 PM
Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

This is the Parliament, no positivity allowed!

If Driphus can get himself together, and we can fix our kicking coverage, we'll be okay.
09-12-2015 11:52 PM
HooCares Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, Tulane
Stewart's 2nd TD with the 3/4 somersault was #7 on Sports Center Top 10.
09-12-2015 11:56 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Driphus tweet: Driphus Jackson ‏@Peur_6 22m22 minutes ago

Embarrassing performance..
09-13-2015 12:00 AM
Barney Offline
All American

I think we would've won in Houston. The crowd noise and scoreboard noise was truly deafening, and led to procedure penalties early on. These then led to difficult down and distance problems which then led to turnovers and the punt returns.

Take away 4 bad plays and we win 28-14. We outgained them by a lot, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know....

Sam Stewart is the best-looking freshman I can remember in a very long time. He is a very special talent.
Stehling was very poised and very accurate.
I thought DJ played an outstanding game, except for a few errant throws and one bad decision. He was operating in deafening noise and was nearly always under intense pressure. He was head and shoulders better than the UT QB's.
Dennis Parks kept us somewhat in the game.
I didn't think I'd ever see a Rice OL push around a UT DL like they did. Handling blitzing speed and pass blocking was a different matter.
Our defense was solid all night, except for the one gift long-ball.
The opening kickoff return play was thrilling.

I told my wife before the game that we'd outgain Texas and lose - - because of big plays, including at least one kick return. And that's exactly what happened.
09-13-2015 12:00 AM
Advertisement

wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
(09-13-2015 12:00 AM)Barney Wrote:  I think we would've won in Houston. The crowd noise and scoreboard noise was truly deafening, and led to procedure penalties early on. These then led to difficult down and distance problems which then led to turnovers and the punt returns.

Somehow we need to be better prepared to step onto a big stage. We will have the same crazy atmosphere in Waco in 2 weeks and we need to be better prepared.
09-13-2015 12:10 AM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

Stewart was great.

We only have one more opponent that will spook us with branding.

Aside from that, I think any positive has to be based on the assumptions that Texas is something special and that turnovers and special teams breakdowns will be fixed.

That was the quietest I've heard DKRMS since the Mackovic era.
09-13-2015 12:17 AM
Wiessman Away
All American

We all agree that Todd Graham is a pretty good coach, right? And that he has made Arizona State into a pretty consistent performer?

4th quarter, 12:00 - Tempe, AZ:

Cal Poly (FCS) - 21
Arizona State - 21

Apparently, Cal Poly knows how to overcome a talent gap and face down a name opponent on the road.

Edit: ASU's personnel advantage is finally telling. Nevertheless, a remarkable effort by Cal Poly.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:13 AM by Wiessman.)
09-13-2015 12:48 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Positive is UT has fallen far enough that we should have comfortably beaten them.

Negative? Our performance
09-13-2015 01:46 AM
tramile12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: RICE
Are you kidding me? Driphus was terrible. UT was mediocre at best and beat the crap out of us. Just awful.
09-13-2015 02:03 AM
Advertisement

Wiessman Away
All American

There were some aspects of the game that Rice did well in, but the cold hard truth is that this game was out of reach a little over halfway through the third quarter. And that was because Rice made some colossal errors that led to huge gifts for UT.

No matter how one slices it, that isn't even close to good enough.
09-13-2015 02:07 AM
EOL_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

+ Our O-line; GREAT push and acceptable pass protection
+ RBs; finding their holes, running with a purpose, and breaking more than a few tackles
+ D-Line; didnt get pushed around like I expected
+ Defensive play calling - we looked like we were mixing it up, keeping UT from getting comfortable. Aside from a few 1-1 big plays, we really kept them in check, and there were not many sustained drives.

- QB play; hate to single out players, but DJ has got to play better than this as a senior. The option pitch with a LB screening the play perfectly is something you get benched for in high school. Not to mention on multiple occasions, DJ either decides not to pass to the open slot or RB (or doesnt go through his passing reads) in favor of a deep ball that's poorly thrown, or an ill advised scramble out of the pocket that plays right into the hands of UT's size and speed on the edge. You can't play C-USA hero ball against a Power-5 defense full of guys faster than you.

- Special teams; good lord. We best be running punt and kickoff coverage all week in practice.

- Secondary; CBs had some tough 1-1 matchups where they were left on an island and burned because we weren't helping with the safeties, but it killed us. First touchdown looked like he lost the ball, second was a straight up burn. Got to improve here, and I believe they will.

-Tackling in general; Special teams, on the edge, everywhere we were arm tackling and just plain not wrapping up. Was miserable to watch UT broken plays go for 20 yards time and time again because of missed tackles (not to mention both returns).
09-13-2015 04:08 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-13-2015 04:08 AM)EOL_Owl Wrote:  -Tackling in general; Special teams, on the edge, everywhere we were arm tackling and just plain not wrapping up. Was miserable to watch UT broken plays go for 20 yards time and time again because of missed tackles (not to mention both returns).

As I'm constantly telling my rugby players, you tackle with your feet. You don't arm tackle because you try to tackle with your arms instead of using proper technique. You arm tackle because your feet didn't get you in position to use the proper technique. Part of that is athleticism. You get out-athleted and all you can do is reach and hope. Part of that is scheme and execution. We are very vulnerable to long kick returns because our kick coverage doesn't stay in proper lanes.
09-13-2015 06:52 AM
Orange County Owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
While there were periods of the game where we were highly competitive from the line of scrimmage, the fact remains that this was in reality a 42-14 game with 1s against 1s.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:20 AM by Orange County Owl.)
09-13-2015 08:00 AM
texowl2 Online
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
No ready yet to read the chronicle article, but looked at the box score. tu had 11 first downs, ELEVEN. 2 telling stats as should be no surprise: Return yards 0-243. Turnovers 5-1.

They completed 5 passes, sadly 2 were long tds.

Is this bad scheming/play? Or is this just a function of superior athletes "making plays" as they say.
09-13-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(09-13-2015 12:00 AM)Barney Wrote:  I think we would've won in Houston. The crowd noise and scoreboard noise was truly deafening, and led to procedure penalties early on. These then led to difficult down and distance problems which then led to turnovers and the punt returns.

Take away 4 bad plays and we win 28-14. We outgained them by a lot, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know....

Sam Stewart is the best-looking freshman I can remember in a very long time. He is a very special talent.
Stehling was very poised and very accurate.
I thought DJ played an outstanding game, except for a few errant throws and one bad decision. He was operating in deafening noise and was nearly always under intense pressure. He was head and shoulders better than the UT QB's.
Dennis Parks kept us somewhat in the game.
I didn't think I'd ever see a Rice OL push around a UT DL like they did. Handling blitzing speed and pass blocking was a different matter.
Our defense was solid all night, except for the one gift long-ball.
The opening kickoff return play was thrilling.

I told my wife before the game that we'd outgain Texas and lose - - because of big plays, including at least one kick return. And that's exactly what happened.

???
That was the quietest 90k crowd I've ever witnessed.... It's like they filled a stadium with Rice fans. The only time it was reasonably loud was on 3rd downs. I thought it was pathetic.
DJ did not have a good game. In fact I would say he flat out choked. He looked confused. His passes were not crisp. He made bad decisions both with throws and a pitch that cost us 7. He's a 5th year senior and your comment is exactly what is wrong with Rice athletics. We have to hold our guys accountable when they don't play well.
Defense didn't keep containment on their mobile QBs who are terrible passers. 1 of their 2 long balls wasn't thrown well at all and our guy didn't even look for it. The other they beat us with pure speed.

I agree with some of the positives in this thread (RBs) but let's not go giving out praise where it isn't deserved. This team is supposed to be taking the next step and they showed last night that we haven't.
09-13-2015 09:02 AM
RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Game stats. We essentially spotted them the game.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 67.5 KB / Downloads: 18)
09-13-2015 09:41 AM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
(09-13-2015 04:08 AM)EOL_Owl Wrote:  + Our O-line; GREAT push and acceptable pass protection
+ RBs; finding their holes, running with a purpose, and breaking more than a few tackles
+ D-Line; didnt get pushed around like I expected
+ Defensive play calling - we looked like we were mixing it up, keeping UT from getting comfortable. Aside from a few 1-1 big plays, we really kept them in check, and there were not many sustained drives.

- QB play; hate to single out players, but DJ has got to play better than this as a senior. The option pitch with a LB screening the play perfectly is something you get benched for in high school. Not to mention on multiple occasions, DJ either decides not to pass to the open slot or RB (or doesnt go through his passing reads) in favor of a deep ball that's poorly thrown, or an ill advised scramble out of the pocket that plays right into the hands of UT's size and speed on the edge. You can't play C-USA hero ball against a Power-5 defense full of guys faster than you.

- Special teams; good lord. We best be running punt and kickoff coverage all week in practice.

- Secondary; CBs had some tough 1-1 matchups where they were left on an island and burned because we weren't helping with the safeties, but it killed us. First touchdown looked like he lost the ball, second was a straight up burn. Got to improve here, and I believe they will.

-Tackling in general; Special teams, on the edge, everywhere we were arm tackling and just plain not wrapping up. Was miserable to watch UT broken plays go for 20 yards time and time again because of missed tackles (not to mention both returns).

04-rock Exceptional summary of my observations! At least we beat the line; but should have beaten the WHORN$ straight up! But superior SPEED and ATHLETICISM will always win when mixed with MISTAKES and TURNOVERS!! 03-puke
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 09:43 AM by OWLmanz.)
09-13-2015 09:42 AM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
Driphus' worst game I think. He never looked comfortable. Unfortunate I know he wanted to play better.

The punting was abysmal. Nice onsides though.

Sam Stewart is the new RB1. Heck of a game.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 09:58 AM by talon owl.)
09-13-2015 09:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.