WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can't play man against a spread option team...
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Can't play man against a spread option team...
I knew we were doomed when we went in motion with the WR to start the game. I hated the slanting from the d line as well. You gotta play solid gap control Defense against the zone read or you are helping the o line block you. The GSU oline looked so dominating because we would slant and then the Oline would just keep pushing us where our momentum was already moving to. Our scheme definitely aided their offense tonight.
09-12-2015 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Can't play man against a spread option team...
(09-12-2015 10:13 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  I knew we were doomed when we went in motion with the WR to start the game. I hated the slanting from the d line as well. You gotta play solid gap control Defense against the zone read or you are helping the o line block you. The GSU oline looked so dominating because we would slant and then the Oline would just keep pushing us where our momentum was already moving to. Our scheme definitely aided their offense tonight.

I know nothing about football but I do recall now seeing that.03-idea
09-12-2015 10:15 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
js is spot-on.
09-13-2015 07:51 AM
Doo Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Yeah that's football 101
09-13-2015 07:51 AM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

(09-12-2015 10:13 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  I knew we were doomed when we went in motion with the WR to start the game. I hated the slanting from the d line as well. You gotta play solid gap control Defense against the zone read or you are helping the o line block you. The GSU oline looked so dominating because we would slant and then the Oline would just keep pushing us where our momentum was already moving to. Our scheme definitely aided their offense tonight.

100% spot-on. We should have been zone and playing straight-up on the line - all they had to do was pin the DE inside on the off-tackle play and they were gone.

I don't often advocate running up the score on someone who doesn't deserve it, but we need to get angry about this one and let Murray State have it next week. Completely unacceptable from coaches and players.
09-13-2015 08:14 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

This would be a really good question for Mr. Drew to ask Fleck. Curious to hear the rationale/strategy behind it. They had to have seen something on film.

I really respect jubbas insight on stuff like this.

I also miss kimbo in times like this...
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:38 AM by Hoekjeness.)
09-13-2015 08:38 AM
Advertisement

rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
Assignment football, although that term gets overused this was one time where it couldn't have been stressed enough.
09-13-2015 10:04 AM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
Not trying to arm chair quarterback, but why did WMU not adapt to the game? Why do coaches rarely change up a game plan. The game was still in reach after 1 half.
09-13-2015 10:13 AM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
They did make some changes coming out of half time. I don't think we have to many zone coverages designed in our playbook. We are an attacking/moving defense that like to play press man. Just not a good matchup for our type of defense.
09-13-2015 11:54 AM
Doo Offline
1st String

There are two reasons you play that scheme against GS.

1. You don't have a solid grasp on how to defend the spread option

Or

2. You don't believe your team can tackle one on one in space, and you need to gamble so you can swarm to the ball.

Either is a bad place to be.
09-13-2015 12:27 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(09-13-2015 11:54 AM)jubbasubba Wrote:  They did make some changes coming out of half time. I don't think we have to many zone coverages designed in our playbook. We are an attacking/moving defense that like to play press man. Just not a good matchup for our type of defense.

It's nice to finally see a sensible critique. This makes the most sense of anything I've read so far.
09-13-2015 12:31 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(09-13-2015 12:31 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 11:54 AM)jubbasubba Wrote:  They did make some changes coming out of half time. I don't think we have to many zone coverages designed in our playbook. We are an attacking/moving defense that like to play press man. Just not a good matchup for our type of defense.

It's nice to finally see a sensible critique. This makes the most sense of anything I've read so far.

It's nice when a HS assistant can see what our highly paid coaches seem to miss
09-13-2015 12:41 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I made a quick comment in the game thread that its possible that our standard alignment is not setup to handle defending this GSU type offense, and that the coaches WILLINGLY didn't change our alignment in an effort to maintain some stability going forward.... It is more than likely the ONLY time we will see an offense anything like this... The hope may have been, that our athleticism... and ELITE play could overcome the uphill battle.

The thing I found most concerning.... with regard to defense... was the poor fundamentals... tackling, angles... etc...

I mean... if you have quite a bit of youth trying to learn a system, and you just got through the first game after camp, might not be the best time to throw the entire book out for a week... just so it fits the opponent. Might have been a longer term step back, than the possibility of taking this one on the chin.

Just a thought.
09-13-2015 01:10 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

And this is why I HATED this home and home series from the time it was announced.
09-13-2015 01:18 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

A couple years back I watched a STOUT Notre Dame defense look just absolutely silly against a mediocre Navy team... because ND's defense didn't setup will against the Navy option offense... It was the ONLY time they played a team with that scheme all year... I think ND eventually gutted out the win, but Navy looked like world beaters because ND didn't update their entire scheme to fit that ONE game...
09-13-2015 01:25 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-13-2015 01:25 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  A couple years back I watched a STOUT Notre Dame defense look just absolutely silly against a mediocre Navy team... because ND's defense didn't setup will against the Navy option offense... It was the ONLY time they played a team with that scheme all year... I think ND eventually gutted out the win, but Navy looked like world beaters because ND didn't update their entire scheme to fit that ONE game...

I watched Tebow have his way against teams not ready or willing to change. Except for the Lions who had two guys that practiced against that chit for four years everday in college.

Then they ran into the Bears and if it wasn't for their lousy offense and Matt Prader, that would have been a win. Erlacher spied him down all day and they played assignment football with the rest. He was nullified.

That is what coaches who can adjust do when they are faced with challenges. Then Hoodie ended that legend in due time.

Might be that our legend is hitting his wall here?
09-13-2015 01:59 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2015 01:59 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 01:25 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  A couple years back I watched a STOUT Notre Dame defense look just absolutely silly against a mediocre Navy team... because ND's defense didn't setup will against the Navy option offense... It was the ONLY time they played a team with that scheme all year... I think ND eventually gutted out the win, but Navy looked like world beaters because ND didn't update their entire scheme to fit that ONE game...

I watched Tebow have his way against teams not ready or willing to change. Except for the Lions who had two guys that practiced against that chit for four years everday in college.

Then they ran into the Bears and if it wasn't for their lousy offense and Matt Prader, that would have been a win. Erlacher spied him down all day and they played assignment football with the rest. He was nullified.

That is what coaches who can adjust do when they are faced with challenges. Then Hoodie ended that legend in due time.

Might be that our legend is hitting his wall here?

I don't think you can compare NFL teams against a MAC team with regard to coaching and preparation...

This same thing happens when in the middle of a game, we knock out the #1 QB (think Minnesota a couple years back) and the back up comes in and drops bombs on us the rest of the game... Coaches fault? Can't make adjustments? Or, just don't match up well at that point with what the opponent is doing..

Honestly I had NO IDEA GSU was that good running the ball... I think they may have been better than all of us anticipated and maybe, just maybe they have better athletes up front than we do... I expected better effort and fundamentals.... the scheme... well... the coaches did what they thought was best, and it wasn't good enough...
09-13-2015 02:05 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

We all knew GASO was a good running team. You see what they did to WVU the week before? We had to see the film! 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 02:06 PM by rtletterman.)
09-13-2015 02:06 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Re: RE: Can't play man against a spread option team...
(09-13-2015 08:38 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  This would be a really good question for Mr. Drew to ask Fleck. Curious to hear the rationale/strategy behind it. They had to have seen something on film.

Blame yourself about Kimbo. You led the assault that got DB banned. From this outsider's perspective, that is a huge reason why Kimbo bowed out.
09-13-2015 07:35 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-13-2015 07:35 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 08:38 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  This would be a really good question for Mr. Drew to ask Fleck. Curious to hear the rationale/strategy behind it. They had to have seen something on film.

Blame yourself about Kimbo. You led the assault that got DB banned. From this outsider's perspective, that is a huge reason why Kimbo bowed out.

And DB landed on his feet, our board has none of this "assault" bs. Funny how things work out.
09-13-2015 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.