UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Civil disobedience
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Civil disobedience
Is it time to march on Tuscaloosa? They say they want a vote, we can vote in mass with green and gold on at the meeting. We can show up in mass at UAT games outside the stadium. All the stuff that has happened this week has really pissed me off. Can this be organized?
09-12-2015 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Civil disobedience
(09-12-2015 10:10 PM)smcleod Wrote:  Is it time to march on Tuscaloosa? They say they want a vote, we can vote in mass with green and gold on at the meeting. We can show up in mass at UAT games outside the stadium. All the stuff that has happened this week has really pissed me off. Can this be organized?

Probably not very effectively. The momentum for that kind of thing has been lost...most students just think football is coming back and that the fight is over....others have graduated and are gone.

A lot of people burned a lot of time off at work already. It is up to the business leaders of Birmingham now. I think everybody else has helped get it to this point but they are the only ones that can really push back now.
09-12-2015 10:36 PM
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-12-2015 10:36 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 10:10 PM)smcleod Wrote:  Is it time to march on Tuscaloosa? They say they want a vote, we can vote in mass with green and gold on at the meeting. We can show up in mass at UAT games outside the stadium. All the stuff that has happened this week has really pissed me off. Can this be organized?

Probably not very effectively. The momentum for that kind of thing has been lost...most students just think football is coming back and that the fight is over....others have graduated and are gone.

A lot of people burned a lot of time off at work already. It is up to the business leaders of Birmingham now. I think everybody else has helped get it to this point but they are the only ones that can really push back now.

I'm thinking about media coverage. The more people who talk about this the better. We do something to get attention.
09-12-2015 10:49 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Organize it. But it has to be organized and thought out. It doesn't have to be fine detail, but thought out to be the most effective with the resources and people you may have available. Never know how effective it is until you try it
09-12-2015 10:51 PM
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

there is already an organisation of people in place. I don't know those people. Someone on this board must know some of the leaders of the movement personally. I'm willing to participate. I don't have the contacts.
09-12-2015 11:15 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
How is it civil disobedience to show up at a Bama game?
09-12-2015 11:35 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Go to the BoT meetings in your green Thursday and Friday. I don't see where going to Bama games is of any use at all. The problem is that a small demonstration simply looks pitiful on camera, as many of ours have.

Smcleod, I would suggest that you join the Save UAB Football group on Facebook. It is the largest of the FB groups and you can get access to a lot of people and information there.
09-13-2015 12:39 AM
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-12-2015 11:35 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  How is it civil disobedience to show up at a Bama game?

We show up outside the stadium in mass wearing UAB gear, with signs, with uab music. It would be great to have the uab band there. Make a statement that we want football, facilities, and a stadium on campus. Don't you think it would be a news worthy stories if hundreds or thousands of students and alumni showed up outside Bryant Denny to show support for UAB football.
09-13-2015 08:00 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-13-2015 12:39 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Go to the BoT meetings in your green Thursday and Friday. I don't see where going to Bama games is of any use at all. The problem is that a small demonstration simply looks pitiful on camera, as many of ours have.

Smcleod, I would suggest that you join the Save UAB Football group on Facebook. It is the largest of the FB groups and you can get access to a lot of people and information there.

yes...if there aren't thousand, it will look like a few people being annoying
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:16 AM by LairDweller.)
09-13-2015 08:16 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-13-2015 08:00 AM)smcleod Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:35 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  How is it civil disobedience to show up at a Bama game?

We show up outside the stadium in mass wearing UAB gear, with signs, with uab music. It would be great to have the uab band there. Make a statement that we want football, facilities, and a stadium on campus. Don't you think it would be a news worthy stories if hundreds or thousands of students and alumni showed up outside Bryant Denny to show support for UAB football.

But that isn't civil disobedience unless you are trying to block people from getting into the game. Most Bama fans support us. That would end right there. It also would send the wrong message. The fight isn't with the Alabama football team or Alabama fans.

It's a dumb idea
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 08:51 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
09-13-2015 08:49 AM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

As bad it pains me, MB is right
09-13-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(09-13-2015 09:07 AM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  As bad it pains me, MB is right

Yeah, he is right. We don't need to alienate the good Alabama fans (and there are some). Remember, several of the 51 business leaders that are helping us out hold UA degrees.
09-13-2015 09:26 AM
smcleod Offline
Bench Warmer

I don't want to alienate anyone who is supportive of our cause. I don't want the media to forget about us.
I thought that UAB football was coming back. I now think that there are people out there that are taking steps to stop it.
Perhaps your right, showing up at a UAT game might backfire.
09-13-2015 09:53 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
the battle will be won in Montgomery not in tuscalooser ,,dont forget about it
09-13-2015 10:36 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(09-13-2015 10:36 AM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  the battle will be won in Montgomery not in tuscalooser ,,dont forget about it
The war will be won when UAB plays their first game before a sold out crowd in UAB's new home stadium on UAB Campus.

NEVER SETTLE FOR LESS.
09-13-2015 10:58 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, that kind of thing doesn't stand that much of a chance for the reasons already stated. People can definitely be rallied, but, even if you amass a good number of people, they still have to be used effectively. Showing up at a football game to protest doesn't do anything for us. It's not Alabama doing this to us, it's the people that appropriate their success for selfish intent. All showing up to a game does is give those people more ammunition and alienate some of the rational Alabama fans that support us.

As far as coverage goes, this is specifically what we wanted. The attention is squarely on the board and the administration. The media and public opinion hurts these people way more than anything we could do via a rally or the like. Instead, if you want to see more stories, it'd be much more effective to harness what manpower remains for positivity. Team up with a non profit, set up a reoccurring charity event, etc.
09-13-2015 11:26 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Just stop any notion of going to the Bama game. That comes from those in charge of this fight.

Now if you want to do something constructive go to the BOT meeting and we should all act the same way we did the last time we flooded that place. The biggest finger in their eye is a room full of pissed off Blazers but acting accordingly. This will be a road game so don't get tossed. That would be a black eye for us.
09-14-2015 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

i had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability.
09-14-2015 09:02 AM
price4UAB Offline
Bench Warmer

Here is a better idea. Let's organize a tailgate with the band playing outside Legion Field on the Saturday that was going supposed to be our homecoming. Of course we will have to talk with the city to allow it. It can be a tailgate/ pep rally
09-14-2015 09:19 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
We need to pump up the Sons of UAB Spring game and have a big showing this year. We will be needing donations to make it happen so stay tuned for that.
09-14-2015 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.