Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Mob Discussion
KBROwl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
[split] Mob Discussion
(09-05-2015 06:34 PM)That Guy 2012 Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 06:17 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  Tweet from @stephkuzy: End of 3Q: Rice 42, Wagner 9 ..Total members left in Rice student section: 44. (Counted twice.) This is a team with 3-year bowl game streak.
At kickoff, there were more students than any game since (at least) Marshall in 13. The heat index seemed well over 100 for most of the first half; do we really blame 'em for leaving an uncompetitive game?

I was in the MOB for the nearly the entire game over on the visiting side. The home side had the benefit of shade during the game at least. It was really brutal over there. We had a few people with dehydration issues even while we were providing water and constant reminders to keep drinking. If i were in the student section and had been drinking alcohol prior to the game or didn't bring much water, there'd be no way I could last the whole game. Even more so on a 42 - 9 blowout where the 3Q took **forever**. The takeaway was great student attendance for the start of the game. That wave of them all rushing to get front row seats was awesome, especially since they dealt with some long lightning delays. Here's hoping we can keep it up for WKU in October.

(09-05-2015 08:57 PM)owl40 Wrote:  Concerns
MOB looks smaller each year.

Yeah, we lost a lot of upperclassmen last year. Recruiting is tough given the current student population and the facilities the MOB has to deal with. I was actually pretty happy with the MOB size starting the season as we've got quite a few freshmen interested. The challenge is going to be keeping them through the year.
09-05-2015 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Rice vs Wagner Game thread
(09-05-2015 09:26 PM)KBROwl Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 06:17 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  Tweet from @stephkuzy: End of 3Q: Rice 42, Wagner 9 ..Total members left in Rice student section: 44. (Counted twice.) This is a team with 3-year bowl game streak.
At kickoff, there were more students than any game since (at least) Marshall in 13. The heat index seemed well over 100 for most of the first half; do we really blame 'em for leaving an uncompetitive game?

I was in the MOB for the nearly the entire game over on the visiting side. The home side had the benefit of shade during the game at least. It was really brutal over there. We had a few people with dehydration issues even while we were providing water and constant reminders to keep drinking. If i were in the student section and had been drinking alcohol prior to the game or didn't bring much water, there'd be no way I could last the whole game. Even more so on a 42 - 9 blowout where the 3Q took **forever**. The takeaway was great student attendance for the start of the game. That wave of them all rushing to get front row seats was awesome, especially since they dealt with some long lightning delays. Here's hoping we can keep it up for WKU in October.

(09-05-2015 08:57 PM)owl40 Wrote:  Concerns
MOB looks smaller each year.

Yeah, we lost a lot of upperclassmen last year. Recruiting is tough given the current student population and the facilities the MOB has to deal with. I was actually pretty happy with the MOB size starting the season as we've got quite a few freshmen interested. The challenge is going to be keeping them through the year.

I was talking to Chuck and I can't believe how much the university is dragging its feet to get the MOB some new decent digs. Its almost as if the university is trying to kill off the MOB or something. That seems counterintuitive since a big part of the college game day experience is the band. I would probably stop supporting Rice if the MOB went away. It was such a big part of my Rice experience. I need to become a multimillionaire so I can fund a band hall for the MOB.
09-05-2015 09:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-05-2015 09:02 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 06:55 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 06:20 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

The honeymoon is over.

That's great to hear! Hope it continues!

To those on the sports committee: has any consideration been given to moving the student section to the home side?

Yes it was brought up as something that needed to be looked at.
09-05-2015 09:43 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Thought the mob did a good job today, all things considered. University won't support the mob, shep school won't support the mob. Athletics needs to pick up the slack. Chuck T needs to tell us what he needs. We need to pitch in. It's a shame. Those kids (well, not all of them are kids) worked their fannies off today. It was hot down there
09-05-2015 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-05-2015 09:50 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Thought the mob did a good job today, all things considered. University won't support the mob, shep school won't support the mob. Athletics needs to pick up the slack. Chuck T needs to tell us what he needs. We need to pitch in. It's a shame. Those kids (well, not all of them are kids) worked their fannies off today. It was hot down there

I suggest that Tiki, Hambone and myself (all on the Fan Experience Committee) all make this a point of emphasis is our conversations with Joe, Tanner and Jana. And I strongly suggest that all others who have the opportunity to talk with Dr. K, make MOB support (and band support in Tudor) a priority item. The only way things are going to change is if enough of us keep voicing the issue with the powers that be.
09-05-2015 09:55 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-05-2015 09:34 PM)Chef Owl Wrote:  Its almost as if the university is trying to kill off the MOB or something.

03-shhhh Chef, they're trying to keep that under wraps. Want to get rid of hedge-jumping? Chop off the hedges at the ground and regrow them for longer than the students' institutional memory lasts. Shoving the band in a basement didn't work, let's try a gym and co-schedule them with basketball and badminton LPAP classes.

The wind ensemble (Rice Symphonic Band) is suffering even more, from what I hear.

(09-05-2015 09:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I suggest that Tiki, Hambone and myself (all on the Fan Experience Committee) all make this a point of emphasis is our conversations with Joe, Tanner and Jana. And I strongly suggest that all others who have the opportunity to talk with Dr. K, make MOB support (and band support in Tudor) a priority item. The only way things are going to change is if enough of us keep voicing the issue with the powers that be.

+1. Please. And if you haven't actually been to see the "Department" of Rice Bands' facilities in person, you should. Then go visit the facilities of the worst middle school band in HISD. Compare.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 11:52 AM by MOBweb.)
09-06-2015 11:51 AM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-06-2015 11:51 AM)MOBweb Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 09:34 PM)Chef Owl Wrote:  Its almost as if the university is trying to kill off the MOB or something.

03-shhhh Chef, they're trying to keep that under wraps. Want to get rid of hedge-jumping? Chop off the hedges at the ground and regrow them for longer than the students' institutional memory lasts. Shoving the band in a basement didn't work, let's try a gym and co-schedule them with basketball and badminton LPAP classes.

The wind ensemble (Rice Symphonic Band) is suffering even more, from what I hear.

(09-05-2015 09:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I suggest that Tiki, Hambone and myself (all on the Fan Experience Committee) all make this a point of emphasis is our conversations with Joe, Tanner and Jana. And I strongly suggest that all others who have the opportunity to talk with Dr. K, make MOB support (and band support in Tudor) a priority item. The only way things are going to change is if enough of us keep voicing the issue with the powers that be.

+1. Please. And if you haven't actually been to see the "Department" of Rice Bands' facilities in person, you should. Then go visit the facilities of the worst middle school band in HISD. Compare.

This is a chicken and egg problem. Now, the MOB has poor facilities, but it isn't as though the facilities are the sole determining factor in show quality. Even with the previous band hall, there were absolute head scratchers that made Rice alums, other fans and visiting guests wonder what the hell was going on at halftime.

I would support giving the MOB/bands more support with the caveat that we cannot and do not go back to what it has been over the last decade. A bunch of people running around in spandex jumpsuits talking about green fences or renovations to buildings on campus makes absolutely no sense.

Part of band support requires understanding and possibly redefining the mission and objectives of where we are and where we want to be. And that goes a lot deeper than just facilities.
09-06-2015 12:50 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(09-06-2015 12:50 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

This is a chicken and egg problem. Now, the MOB has poor facilities, but it isn't as though the facilities are the sole determining factor in show quality. Even with the previous band hall, there were absolute head scratchers that made Rice alums, other fans and visiting guests wonder what the hell was going on at halftime.

I would support giving the MOB/bands more support with the caveat that we cannot and do not go back to what it has been over the last decade. A bunch of people running around in spandex jumpsuits talking about green fences or renovations to buildings on campus makes absolutely no sense.

Part of band support requires understanding and possibly redefining the mission and objectives of where we are and where we want to be. And that goes a lot deeper than just facilities.

Which Rice department or administrative unit "owns" and advocates for the MOB? It it's an orphan, it's destined to failure, as all the other units will vote for using any available money and space for their own purposes, leaving the MOB with little or nothing (which seems to have happened).

In addition to the clear mission that Antarius mentions, the MOB needs a strong and effective administrative advocate.
09-06-2015 01:01 PM
baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

(09-06-2015 12:50 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

See, here's where I'd point out that there's a decent amount of selective memory here (or possibly confirmation bias?). Not intending to accuse you personally, Ant; but the comment above I bolded for emphasis provided a convenient jumping-off point, as it's simply the most recent example of this.

In the past decade, The MOB has:
That isn't an exhaustive list of all the things I think the band has done well over the past decade; they're simply a smattering (mostly chosen to be the things that the paying audience might grasp the best).

So, did the band just turn bad in the last decade (despite the above)? Or does the collective Rice community have this perception of the band as "oh, they do weird things now" and simply remember the confirmatory aspects of that more than the contradictory ones? I honestly think it's a bit both, combined with the standard alum perception that everything was better when we were at Rice (something I'm finding myself succumbing to, as well).

Since I don't want this to be completely just calling-everyone-else-out, I will also choose to use this as a jumping-off point: what do you all, the people who come to football games to actually see football (as opposed to back in the day when The MOB was more than half the attraction) want to see out of The MOB? Please be specific to your criticisms rather than just "better;" it seems clear from the Rice community's general perception of The MOB that neither party seems to grasp what the other is going for/wants.

ETA: links to things mentioned in the list above.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 03:42 PM by baker-'13.)
09-06-2015 03:32 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-06-2015 12:50 PM)Antarius Wrote:  This is a chicken and egg problem. Now, the MOB has poor facilities, but it isn't as though the facilities are the sole determining factor in show quality.

(snip)

I'd rather not get into a discussion of your particular opinion of what the mission and objectives should be, but it's a fair point that support and funding will always be contingent on (or at least proportional to) an organization's alignment with the various missions of the university. And donor sentiment will reflect that (and their personal opinions), accordingly. The MOB, since its inception in the early 70s, has always been more on the "unconventional" side rather than that of the traditional "wisdom"; I'm not trying to say there aren't any consequences that result from that.

I disagree with your assertion that this is a chicken-and-egg problem. There are many causes dating back nearly two decades now; some of these have been discussed here before. However, where the football team, for example, might see or come to expect an increase in donations following a strong year, the same cannot be said for the band. The MOB is not and never has been an organization with strong external support or a network of SIGs. Therefore, show quality has never resulted in any sort of direct impact to resources, funding, or facilities -- positive or negative. If you're going to tell me that reduced funding is the result of long-term, poor execution, I'm going to tell you that -- with the way Rice has organized the departments and funding -- the band has no chance to succeed. The best it can seem to hope for is status-quo, but it is always at risk of losing more.

At this point, it doesn't matter if the shows changed to perfectly match your ideal halftime performance. It doesn't matter if Rice wanted to replace The MOB with a traditional, true marching band as UVa did. (I'm not entirely sure this isn't the administration's goal, but at least UVa was straightforward about it.) At this point, you're not going to attract or keep a sufficient number of undergraduates with traditional band experience given the current facilities of the Rice University Bands department -- the problem goes beyond just The MOB.

I have access to membership attendance statistics since 2006, and attendance was on an upward swing through 2011, when average MOB attendance was 96.4 people per game. 2012 wasn't quite as good but, in general, I interpret those numbers positively. I have been involved with the organization since 2000, and there have been many "head-scratchers" over that time, and multiple such shows every single year. I don't know if there will ever be a solution to that given the circumstances of a part-time, extracurricular undergraduate activity at a demanding institution like Rice. Still, if The MOB were so universally unappealing then I would not have expected membership to increase from 2006-2011.

But something happened in 2013. We lost our home, and with it we lost 68% of the then- sophomores that had joined us as freshmen the year before. Those that were least invested in the organization were the first to go once they saw what the University had decided was a "workable" alternative facility. Keep in mind, also, that The MOB relies on a higher proportion of younger undergraduates versus juniors and seniors because we understand that the coursework gets harder in the later years. Simply put, that loss was devastating and for the very same reasons it becomes difficult to entice and retain each and every subsequent incoming freshman class.

This is not chicken-and-egg with show quality. The numbers over the years, from my observation, cannot support that conclusion. Even if it did, I see no evidence that a miracle season of show writing at even Colbert-level popularity would cause even the slightest ripple in improvements seen by the department.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 04:45 PM by MOBweb.)
09-06-2015 04:41 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-06-2015 01:01 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Which Rice department or administrative unit "owns" and advocates for the MOB? It it's an orphan, it's destined to failure, as all the other units will vote for using any available money and space for their own purposes, leaving the MOB with little or nothing (which seems to have happened).

In addition to the clear mission that Antarius mentions, the MOB needs a strong and effective administrative advocate.

The MOB is administered by the Rice University Bands department, headed by Chuck. IIRC, that department is a sub-entity under Student Affairs, with The MOB categorized as a club.

The "club" designation is probably appropriate on most levels, but when it comes to funding, facilities, and resources it makes things... less than optimal as compared to other departments. The department website (first link, above) mentions that all of the non-MOB ensembles are "administered through the Shepherd School of Music", making it even more laughable (and sad) that the wind, jazz, and other non-MOB ensembles are relegated to sub-par facilities when Shepherd is right there.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 05:24 PM by MOBweb.)
09-06-2015 05:23 PM
Advertisement

Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
What MOBweb said…

To add three more decades of experience to the thread, The MOB has always produced a good number of head-scratchers.

We'll assume that The MOB's primary duty to the community is student spirit - supporting the teams at the events where they perform.

Who is The MOB's audience?
09-06-2015 11:43 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-06-2015 04:41 PM)MOBweb Wrote:  The MOB is not and never has been an organization with strong external support or a network of SIGs. Therefore, show quality has never resulted in any sort of direct impact to resources, funding, or facilities -- positive or negative. If you're going to tell me that reduced funding is the result of long-term, poor execution, I'm going to tell you that -- with the way Rice has organized the departments and funding -- the band has no chance to succeed. The best it can seem to hope for is status-quo, but it is always at risk of losing more.

Individual show quality does not directly result in improved funding but trends do matter. Interest in the MOB is in a lot of ways parallel to interest in KTRU, very limited. As time wears on, if more and more audience members do not get interested, you end up with limited growth in terms of supporters (outside of the organization) which leads to a slow but sure deterioration resulting in a major change (be it losing the band hall or selling the radio station)

(09-06-2015 04:41 PM)MOBweb Wrote:  I have access to membership attendance statistics since 2006, and attendance was on an upward swing through 2011, when average MOB attendance was 96.4 people per game. 2012 wasn't quite as good but, in general, I interpret those numbers positively. I have been involved with the organization since 2000, and there have been many "head-scratchers" over that time, and multiple such shows every single year. I don't know if there will ever be a solution to that given the circumstances of a part-time, extracurricular undergraduate activity at a demanding institution like Rice. Still, if The MOB were so universally unappealing then I would not have expected membership to increase from 2006-2011.

As a freshman in 2006 who wasn't from Houston (and had never visited Rice), I had no idea what the MOB was. I am not sure what freshman enrollment numbers can and do tell us. It might be worth plotting those against Rice football wins and see if we can find a trendline. Could you please post the numbers?

Grungy Wrote:Who is The MOB's audience?

Everyone who watches Rice football and everyone who we WANT to start watching Rice football.

If thats not the target audience, then performing and Rice Football games and possibly on TV is the wrong place.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 01:10 AM by Antarius.)
09-07-2015 01:03 AM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(09-07-2015 01:03 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Everyone who watches Rice football and everyone who we WANT to start watching Rice football.

If thats not the target audience, then performing and Rice Football games and possibly on TV is the wrong place.

"Everyone" is a very diverse group.
The subsets include current students, young, middle, and elder alumni, [a similar set of sets of opposing audients], the players, the athletic department, the university administration, serious and casual fans, residents in the local neighborhood, the rest of Houston, groups given special ticket deals, members of the press, [further subdivision left as an an exercise for the reader]…

Should The MOB try to please them all or target a subset?
If a subset, which one(s)?
09-07-2015 09:42 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Rice vs Wagner Game thread
(09-07-2015 09:42 AM)Grungy Wrote:  

The subsets include current students, young, middle, and elder alumni, [a similar set of sets of opposing audients], the players, the athletic department, the university administration, serious and casual fans, residents in the local neighborhood, the rest of Houston, groups given special ticket deals, members of the press, [further subdivision left as an an exercise for the reader]…

If a subset, which one(s)?

The subset with a sense of humor.
09-07-2015 12:05 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-06-2015 04:41 PM)MOBweb Wrote:  Therefore, show quality has never resulted in any sort of direct impact to resources, funding, or facilities -- positive or negative. If you're going to tell me that reduced funding is the result of long-term, poor execution, I'm going to tell you that -- with the way Rice has organized the departments and funding -- the band has no chance to succeed. The best it can seem to hope for is status-quo, but it is always at risk of losing more.

Individual show quality does not directly result in improved funding but trends do matter. Interest in the MOB is in a lot of ways parallel to interest in KTRU, very limited. As time wears on, if more and more audience members do not get interested, you end up with limited growth in terms of supporters (outside of the organization) which leads to a slow but sure deterioration resulting in a major change (be it losing the band hall or selling the radio station)

I never said "individual" show quality. I was referring to overall quality on the level of an entire season. Even the very best seasons do not result in any substantial improvement to The MOB's disposition with regard to the administration or the athletic department; consequently this "trend" you suggest may result in negative consequences but it's not equitable and doesn't offer any reward in the other direction. That was my point.

There are better seasons and worse seasons, but I would assert to you that the average show quality for a given season has not changed much in the last two decades. In fact, going against the common perception that things were better "in my day", I'd say that the quality of the last half of 2000-2014 was better on average than the first half. Yet The MOB could take commercial air flights to away games at Michigan in 2000 and fill three charter buses. We can't even afford game seats for a bus trip to UT Austin in 2014. We're going to have a difficult time putting quantitative numbers on a factor like "show quality" but I just don't see any direct correlation over the time span that I've been present.

To your point comparing The MOB with KTRU, there are indeed many similarities. They're unique organizations that add character to Rice and don't necessarily fit with a prim and proper corporate image -- be that of academia or today's commercialized arena of "amateur" sports. They don't always appeal to the majority of the general public, though that was often by design in the case of KTRU whereas The MOB is generally trying to entertain its audience. Where the students don't understand their audience, that fails; it happens more than anyone would like. Audiences that don't really care about our not-well-known opponents don't make things any easier, but thanks for holding us accountable for that "trend" completely outside of our control.

Without some form of quantitative measurement and a corresponding, concrete goal in mind, you're proposing arbitrary criteria that probably -- in all honesty -- cannot be met. Unlike KTRU, we don't have Nielsen. For The MOB, obtaining mass approval requires generating unique content from scratch and it's not as easy as changing which selection of artists get included on a playlist. Like KTRU, The MOB is a unique aspect of Rice culture that we're in danger of losing. I would think that should be a larger concern, unless you're of the opinion that The MOB should just go away entirely. (In which case, I wish you'd outright say so.) Keeping The MOB means taking the good and the bad.

I'll say again, though you seem to be ignoring it, that the impact of what's been going on is larger in scope than simply The MOB. Even if everyone here wants a traditional marching band, or even a simple pep band, in slowly killing The MOB the same resources needed for any alternative other than no band whatsoever are also being killed. Halftime show scripts are only a portion of what The MOB does, but you're at risk of losing everything if we can't maintain a critical mass.

(09-07-2015 01:03 AM)Antarius Wrote:  As a freshman in 2006 who wasn't from Houston (and had never visited Rice), I had no idea what the MOB was. I am not sure what freshman enrollment numbers can and do tell us. It might be worth plotting those against Rice football wins and see if we can find a trendline. Could you please post the numbers?

First, the majority of numbers I quoted were overall membership; only the loss of 68% of returning now-sophomores in 2013 was in reference to freshmen. Since your only familiarity with The MOB is that of a spectator, let me put the freshman statistic in terms you'll understand as a sports fan: it's our recruiting class. You have one bad year with the freshmen, and you lose 25% upwards of 30% of your potential -- before accounting for later losses due to increased coursework demands in subsequent years. Two such bad years and now you're at a 50-60% loss -- and yet you wonder why The MOB looks smaller and smaller?

We don't have scholarships to offer. No one* transfers to Rice in order to play with The MOB. We deal strictly with "walk-ons". As the band gets smaller, the walk-on appeal diminishes in a "lost bandwagon" effect.

(* Okay, technically it has happened but it's so rare as to be inconsequential.)

Ant, you asked for numbers. The data set I was referring to is included below. The composition percentages will not sum to 100 because I didn't include all categories (those excluded are negligible). The game attendance numbers are on average; the number of individuals that participate in any given season are higher but we don't have any sort of mandatory attendance policy.

Code:
.     PerGame     Estimated Composition
YEAR  Avg(#)   Fr(%) So(%) Jr(%) Sr(%) Alum(%)
2006  72.4     23.6  21.1   9.8  13.0  17.9
2007  70.0     24.3  17.1  16.2   7.2  18.9
2008  77.9     28.5  14.6  11.4  12.2  17.9
2009  77.1     35.0  17.5   9.5   8.8  16.1
2010  93.4     29.3  28.0  11.3   7.3  17.3
2011  96.4     30.0  18.8  17.5   8.1  20.0
2012  75.3     22.4  21.6  18.4  21.6  14.4
2013  53.5     23.2   9.5  21.1  22.1  17.9
2014  56.0     28.0  10.8   5.4  19.4  23.7

While we don't have the numbers prior to 2006 due to a different tracking system in use at the time, the percentage compositions don't sound out of line from what I would estimate from when I was an undergraduate during the Hatfield era. This was before your time, Ant, but "win record" wasn't much of a factor back then and I'll be surprised if it is now (as far as The MOB goes).

Always remember, as much as the shows may be hit-or-miss, you're looking at some of the most dedicated students in attendance at Rice football games. It is truly a thankless job to do all of that and have to justify one's existence from year to year.

(09-07-2015 12:05 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(09-07-2015 09:42 AM)Grungy Wrote:  

The subset with a sense of humor.

(Above quotes snipped for brevity.)

All of them think they have a sense of humor. Among all of those that actually do, there are many different senses of humor. This hasn't really narrowed down the original set very much at all.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 05:15 PM by MOBweb.)
09-07-2015 04:41 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
I haven't seen any mention of the MOB's Wagner game show/script. What was it? How well was it received (by students and/or alums/general fans?
09-07-2015 05:39 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-07-2015 05:21 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  Granted they probably don't have the support they need, but if the scripts can get fixed, perhaps the rest will follow.

I have no personal ability to refute anything you said. However, the set of people available or willing to write scripts is a much smaller subset of the dwindling organization. With a shrinking pool of potential writers, there is a smaller and smaller chance that you will get a satisfactory result. We're already in the middle of that downward spiral, so any discussion where "fix the scripts, the rest will follow" is the answer is in essence a recipe for failure at this point.

I really wish there was a magical switch that we could flip. There's not. In the meantime, scriptwriting is a B.S. scapegoat for why this organization has received so little support. Let's stop writing scripts. No words. Just music. Everything else the same. Then there's nothing to "not get". There'd be nothing to confuse. That'd be better than "silliness and stupidity", no? Please tell me how many years of that level of "improvement" we'd need to get facilities of even the remotest adequacy in which to rehearse and improve musically -- the same facilities you'd need for any other alternative?

As far as I can see, there's nothing on the table being offered. There's not even a real metric against which to measure -- at least not from those in charge. As far as Parliament goes, so far all we have is the nebulous goal of writing "better". Hopefully you understand my frustration; it's not unlike the not-too-distant past of the football program; except you do have boosters and managed to fundraise for facilities and staff salaries even though (back in the Hatfield days) the on-field performance didn't really warrant it at all.
09-07-2015 05:47 PM
KTOWL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: RICE
(09-07-2015 05:39 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  I haven't seen any mention of the MOB's Wagner game show/script. What was it? How well was it received (by students and/or alums/general fans?

I heard from a couple of friends that attended and said it was awful borderline embarrassing.
09-08-2015 11:31 PM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(09-08-2015 11:31 PM)KTOWL Wrote:  
(09-07-2015 05:39 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  I haven't seen any mention of the MOB's Wagner game show/script. What was it? How well was it received (by students and/or alums/general fans?

I heard from a couple of friends that attended and said it was awful borderline embarrassing.

03-puke

A couple of years ago this could be thought of as talking about the football team. Yet many people stuck with it and now, with the support of those people, the football program is on the rise again. I've never understood how anyone whose criticism is "embarrassing". Did you go out there and do anything? Did you put any time or effort into a creative endeavor? How can you be embarrassed by something you had nothing to do with? When the football team sucked, it was the MOB who was the majority of students cheering on the team providing support unconditionally. What made The MOB great is that it provided a creative outlet for a bunch of really smart, really geeky kids. It was a great place to blow off some steam and meet some like minded individuals, make friends, and hang out on a regular basis. It kind of pisses me off when members of the Rice community try to act like the cool kids and look down on the MOB. Sure, not every show is going to be gem. But I think the MOB's main function should be more about school spirit and support. The fact that Rice University Bands gets very little support is baffling to me. Doesn't Rice cultivate the image of diversity, uniqueness, and acceptance? Isn't that what "unconventional wisdom" is about.
09-08-2015 11:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.