3 TCU 1464
4 Baylor 1349
5 Oregon 1279
6 Mich St 1252
7 Auburn 1190
8 Florida St 1090
9 Georgia 1075
10 USC 1035

Texas A&M and Utah join the poll. Arizona St and Stanford leave the poll.
09-08-2015 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: Polls- week 2
AP Poll:

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) TCU
4) Baylor
5) Michigan State
6) Auburn
7) Oregon
8) USC
9) Notre Dame
10) Georgia
11) Florida State
12) Clemson
13) UCLA
14) LSU
15) Georgia Tech
16) Texas A&M
17) Ole Miss
18) Arkansas
19) Oklahoma
20) Boise State
21) Missouri
22) Arizona
23) Tennessee
24) Utah
25) Mississippi State
09-08-2015 01:05 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
So Alabama passes TCU in both polls. Pretty interesting- in AP TCU was up by 108 votes last week. In coaches- by 35 votes. Now this week- in coaches Bama up by 21(so a 56 vote flip), Bama up by 55(so a 163 vote flip).

the top 10-
Ohio St 1525
Alabama 1420
TCU 1365
Baylor 1252
Michigan St 1198
Auburn 1166
Oregon 1081
USC 1074
Notre Dame 1061
Georgia 981
09-08-2015 01:11 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I'll take it.
09-08-2015 01:15 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
The entire SEC West is ranked.
09-08-2015 01:16 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-08-2015 01:05 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  AP Poll:

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) TCU
4) Baylor
5) Michigan State
6) Auburn
7) Oregon
8) USC
9) Notre Dame
10) Georgia
11) Florida State
12) Clemson
13) UCLA
14) LSU
15) Georgia Tech
16) Texas A&M
17) Ole Miss
18) Arkansas
19) Oklahoma
20) Boise State
21) Missouri
22) Arizona
23) Tennessee
24) Utah
25) Mississippi State

Lot of SEC love. 10/14 SEC schools and 40% of top 25. Only 2 of 14 B1G schools. More SEC schools than ACC (3), Big 12 (3) and B1G combined. Pac has 5 + Boise + Notre Dame.
09-08-2015 01:19 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Of course, having 10 SEC teams and all of the West Division in the top 25 is simply poll voters hedging their bets. The West will beat each other and teams will drop out, but there is so much parity in the division that they can't tell who will emerge and who will bust. Teams like Wisconsin, Louisville and Arizona State will return when they get a few games in. LSU and Mississippi State play each other this week and Tennessee hosts Oklahoma, so I can see two SEC teams dropping out next week. Then in week 3, LSU plays Auburn and Ole Miss plays Alabama, giving the league a couple more opportunities to lose teams from the rankings. It will even out over time. Of course, I'm hoping Ole Miss upsets Alabama for the second year in a row, causing a big bump for the Rebels. 04-rock
09-08-2015 10:10 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The SEC is over rated. Take a look what happened to them going into the bowl games last year? The majority of the ranked SEC teams lost their bowl games.
09-09-2015 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

But look at the conferences for this year-
SEC 12-1
B12 8-2
ACC 10-4
P12 7-5
B10 8-6
09-09-2015 08:09 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The bottom of the SEC is always overrated, but that's only because lazy media types just write or say "the SEC" instead of discussing individual teams. Obviously the top looks great so far.

Also, the SEC's football scheduling smartly takes advantage of the media laziness by playing a conference game or two in September, so that the winner of a September SEC-SEC game gets the poll and reputation benefit of beating a team that was ranked at the time, even if the rest of the season proves that team to be not as good as the media thought in the preseason. I'm surprised that other conferences haven't figured this out and started dropping a conference game or two for each team into September.
09-09-2015 10:25 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(09-09-2015 10:25 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The bottom of the SEC is always overrated, but that's only because lazy media types just write or say "the SEC" instead of discussing individual teams. Obviously the top looks great so far.

Also, the SEC's football scheduling smartly takes advantage of the media laziness by playing a conference game or two in September, so that the winner of a September SEC-SEC game gets the poll and reputation benefit of beating a team that was ranked at the time, even if the rest of the season proves that team to be not as good as the media thought in the preseason. I'm surprised that other conferences haven't figured this out and started dropping a conference game or two for each team into September.

SEC played the BCS game brilliantly and continue to outsmart the rest of college football. It doesn't hurt that Alabama, Auburn, and A&M took care of business in high-profile neutral-site games.
09-09-2015 04:16 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Should we have a separate thread for the Bottom 10 or does that ESPN ranking belong here?
09-09-2015 04:38 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Bottom 10:

1) Georgia State
2) New Mexico State
3) Kent State
4) Kansas
5) Texas
6) Texas State
7) Colorado
8) Eastern Michigan
9) Washington State
10) Vanderbilt

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-bottom-10

Three Sun Belt teams. Two B12, two Pac-12, two MAC. And one SEC. Fair breakdown, in my opinion.
Kansas and Washington State should be 1 and 2. Losing to FCS teams should put you at the "top" of the poll.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 04:51 PM by jdgaucho.)
09-09-2015 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Otacon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: West Virginia
How many of these teams lost to top 15 ranked teams? Or even ranked teams?
09-10-2015 09:18 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(09-09-2015 04:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 10:25 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The bottom of the SEC is always overrated, but that's only because lazy media types just write or say "the SEC" instead of discussing individual teams. Obviously the top looks great so far.

SEC played the BCS game brilliantly and continue to outsmart the rest of college football. It doesn't hurt that Alabama, Auburn, and A&M took care of business in high-profile neutral-site games.

yes, it was very "smart" for the SEC to win 7 BCS NCG in a row.

With that said, the top teams in the SEC got exposed as over-rated in the NewYear's Committee Bowls last year, you would think that would be fresh in voters minds, but I guess they are looking to see if the pattern repeats this year.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 09:28 AM by goofus.)
09-10-2015 09:26 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(09-10-2015 09:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 04:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  

yes, it was very "smart" to win 7 BCS NCG in a row.

With that said, the top teams in the SEC git exposed as over-rated in the NewYear's Committee Bowls last year, you would think that would be fresh in voters minds, but I guess they are looking to see if the pattern repeats this year.

The SEC has been brilliant in that most teams schedule 3 easy OOC games - almost exclusively at home - and one high-profile OOC game - many at neutral sites and the SEC-ACC rivalry games. Plus, as mentioned by Wedge the conference schedules some good early-season conference matchups.

In the end, almost all SEC teams have at least 3 early-season OOC wins so that there are a bunch of nice and shiny SEC win-loss records and early-season poll rankings. The early SEC matchups the winners in the rankings and don't hurt the loser because its a "good SEC loss."

The BCS computers loved this. The polls still love this. It perpetuates the perception of SEC dominance - and it is exponentially amplified when Alabama beats Wisconsin, Auburn beats Louisville, and Texas A&M beats Arizona St. The polls, computers, and reputation still greatly influence the selection committee, so the trend continues.
09-10-2015 09:41 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

just stop with the SEC having at least 3 early season OOC wins.... They aren't the only conference that does this...
Big Ten:
Indiana- So Illinois, FIU, W Kentucky, Wake
Maryland- Richmond, Bowling Green, USF, WVU
Michigan Utah, Oregon St, UNLV, BYU
Mich St- W Michigan, Oregon, Air Force, C Michigan
Ohio St- VT, Hawaii, NIU, W Michigan
Penn St- Temple, Buffalo, San Diego St, Army
Rutgers- Norfolk St, Wash St, Kansas, Army
Illinois- Kent St, W Illinois, N Carolina, M Tennessee
Iowa- Illinois St, Iowa St, Pitt, N Texas
Minnesota- TCU, Colo St, Kent St, Ohio
Nebraska- BYU, S Alabama, Miami, So Miss
Northwestern- Stanford, E Illinois, Duke, Ball St
Purdue- Marshall, Indiana St, Va Tech, B Green
Wisconsin- Alabama, Miami Oh, Troy, Hawaii

I'm seeing a whole hell of a lot of teams with 3 OOC gimmes there. Especially the ones that were ranked- Mich St, Ohio St, and Wisconsin.
09-10-2015 09:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.