Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Fan Experience Cmts/Owl Club BOD
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Rice Fan Experience Cmts/Owl Club BOD
Reaching out for some assistance -

It appears there are governing bodies in place to provide input and some direction to Athletics and the University as a whole regarding sports at Rice. From what I can tell there is the Rice Owl Club Board of Directors and the newly created Rice Fan Experience Committee.

My 1st question - are there other groups that I am missing?

I would think reaching out to the appropriate group with comments could be helpful. Several suggestions are made within this forum, however, having such information scattered among posts may not be the most efficient way to gather feedback. And, while some things are important for Athletics personnel to know sooner rather than later, it may not be the best avenue to default to saying "tell Tanner" or "tell Josh" or "tell Shu," etc. since they may be focused on other items at a particular time.

So, my 2nd question (really a series of related one) - if an alumnus or other person has a question or suggestion, how would they go about contacting a member of these committees? Who sits on these committees - is there a roster posted somewhere? Or is there a general e-mail address where thoughts can be shared (to formulate an aggregate list)?

Thanks for your help in advance!
09-06-2015 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
RE: Rice Fan Experience Cmts/Owl Club BOD
Great thoughts. I believe I've seen events or stories about a Women's Athletes support group (WAAB) I believe and a former student athletes group. There's also been posts in the past about SIG support groups or leadership of some kind. A condensed list of volunteers for alums to reach out to could be nice. Though I'm not sure it'd be more direct then going right to Tanner and Shu. Good thoughts and what an awesome weekend! How was the tailgating and the crowd?
09-06-2015 03:10 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(09-06-2015 01:13 PM)CrabCake Wrote:  Reaching out for some assistance -

It appears there are governing bodies in place to provide input and some direction to Athletics and the University as a whole regarding sports at Rice. From what I can tell there is the Rice Owl Club Board of Directors and the newly created Rice Fan Experience Committee.

My 1st question - are there other groups that I am missing?

I would think reaching out to the appropriate group with comments could be helpful. Several suggestions are made within this forum, however, having such information scattered among posts may not be the most efficient way to gather feedback. And, while some things are important for Athletics personnel to know sooner rather than later, it may not be the best avenue to default to saying "tell Tanner" or "tell Josh" or "tell Shu," etc. since they may be focused on other items at a particular time.

So, my 2nd question (really a series of related one) - if an alumnus or other person has a question or suggestion, how would they go about contacting a member of these committees? Who sits on these committees - is there a roster posted somewhere? Or is there a general e-mail address where thoughts can be shared (to formulate an aggregate list)?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sure, you can go to one of us on the Committee, but the Athletic Department is now very open to feedback....and they do listen. If you feel uncomfortable going to Dr. K, Tanner Gardner is VERY responsive to both e-mails and even twitter posts.
09-06-2015 04:17 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(09-06-2015 04:17 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 01:13 PM)CrabCake Wrote:  So, my 2nd question (really a series of related one) - if an alumnus or other person has a question or suggestion, how would they go about contacting a member of these committees? Who sits on these committees - is there a roster posted somewhere? Or is there a general e-mail address where thoughts can be shared (to formulate an aggregate list)?

Sure, you can go to one of us on the Committee...

I think the question was: how does one know who is on the committee, and how to reach them?
09-06-2015 07:46 PM
THRILL Offline
All American

I Root For: Boobies

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-06-2015 07:46 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 04:17 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 01:13 PM)CrabCake Wrote:  So, my 2nd question (really a series of related one) - if an alumnus or other person has a question or suggestion, how would they go about contacting a member of these committees? Who sits on these committees - is there a roster posted somewhere? Or is there a general e-mail address where thoughts can be shared (to formulate an aggregate list)?

Sure, you can go to one of us on the Committee...

I think the question was: how does one know who is on the committee, and how to reach them?

I think it's like Fight Club.
09-06-2015 07:49 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

(09-06-2015 07:46 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  I think the question was: how does one know who is on the committee, and how to reach them?

Yes, that is what I was trying to convey - I can find no list of members of either the Rice Fan Experience Committee or the Owl Club Board of Directors. Having a list of names would be a start. Contact information - even better.

As an example, when I want to speak to a member of the Rice BOT, I know where to go:

https://professor.rice.edu/board-of-trustees.aspx

Trust me, I have no problem approaching people to share my thoughts and ideas. But I need to know who to call.
09-06-2015 08:58 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I don't feel comfortable releasing the names of the other members without asking first(though I see no reason they would object). Let me check with Tanner and Jana and see if they can send an email to the group asking if they are OK with their name being made public.

As far as asking questions or how to give feedback first let me say that anyone who received a survey after yesterday's game needs to fill it out and return it. This is the quickest way to help the athletic department as well as the Fan Committee. As I mentioned in another previous post, returned surveys have numbered between 1500 and 2500. Each were read and in some cases questions went back to the respondent. The moving of the Roost in large part came about because of responses to previous surveys.

Direct contact for the Fan Committee should be made to Tanner and Jana. They are the ones heading up the committee and are at every meeting of the general group as well as the two sub-committees. As far as contacting individuals on the committee, a question here or perhaps in a thread dedicated to questions seems like a good idea. Keep in mind some of the things discussed by the committee are not for public discussion at this point. If you are really interested and you don't feel comfortable asking Tanner/Jana or posting here I will raise my hand (I may regret this) and say you can PM me. I sit on the Communications sub-committee.

There are two sub-committees the first being the Gameday Experience and the other Communications. Both of these are there to try and make sure the athletic department understands what the fans need and also how best to communicate with its fans. Of course these two topics bleed over into other areas as well and the committee in general is taken up other issues not defined by the sub-committees.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 09:05 PM by Tiki Owl.)
09-06-2015 09:04 PM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
01-ncaabbs Thanks for your involvement and active participation, TIKI. Let me know if you need any help for "out-of-the-box" ideas; my specialty.

The previous location of the ROOST was horrible; almost as if RICE was penalizing beer drinkers when they should have been encouraging them for both improved game day experience as well as CHEERING support. I have not visited the new location yet, but it's GOT TO BETTER not staring into the afternoon sun!! 03-banghead
09-07-2015 02:44 PM
lou Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
09-07-2015 05:02 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(09-07-2015 02:44 PM)OWLmanz Wrote:  01-ncaabbs Thanks for your involvement and active participation, TIKI. Let me know if you need any help for "out-of-the-box" ideas; my specialty.

The previous location of the ROOST was horrible; almost as if RICE was penalizing beer drinkers when they should have been encouraging them for both improved game day experience as well as CHEERING support. I have not visited the new location yet, but it's GOT TO BETTER not staring into the afternoon sun!! 03-banghead

The Roost is much better in the new location. I spent the first 15 minutes of the game in the east upper deck, on the 50 yard line. There were maybe ten of us up there. After Rice's second touchdown we all left because the sun was terrible. You really can't sit over there unless you have a big umbrella. It's horrible.
09-08-2015 10:33 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

The MOB, dance team, and cheerleaders did a great job on Saturday. I noticed the dance team performing in the stands and the MOB moving around the stadium to play music. Good improvement.
09-08-2015 10:36 AM
Advertisement

OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
02-13-banana There was also a GREAT brass band performing outside before the game until they were shut down by the lightning threat. Hope we have them back again for a longer performance!! I also met some real nice RICE promotional folks. There is HOPE!! 01-ncaabbs We need to re-introduce OWL BOWING tho for Freshmen and Exchange Students. They would LOVE IT!! 04-bow I sure did back in the day..... 04-cheers Beer / Mattress parties too! They were the best!! 03-drunk
09-08-2015 10:53 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
Great to see the young alums on the Owl Club Board! Must have some great jobs to join a group like that at such a young age. Is anyone an that list on the Parliament?

Also, great to hear the atmosphere was great this weekend. Sounds like everything is coming together for this to be THE year! Is it Saturday yet?
09-08-2015 11:10 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(09-08-2015 10:53 AM)OWLmanz Wrote:  We need to re-introduce OWL BOWING tho for Freshmen and Exchange Students. They would LOVE IT!! 04-bow I sure did back in the day..... 04-cheers

No. A thousand times no.

I did it, hated it.
09-08-2015 11:58 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I'm thinking about starting a stickied thread. If you have comments that you want delivered to the administration, let's put them there. What do you guys think?

My suggestions, PLEASE do not engage in debate in that thread. I would attempt to be very aggressive in moderating that thread so that we don't digress from its purpose. Not censorship, as you can post comments elsewhere... but simply a single spot where 'good ideas' can be linked and quickly accessed by those who need to know. Even bad ideas can be presented... just not obviously trolling ones.

If a good idea comes from a thread, please link the thread and give a quick description... i.e. (using a poor and simple idea)
I'd like to see more beer at games.... here is a link to a thread where we discussed it. <link>

Thoughts?
09-08-2015 01:58 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I think that's a great idea.
09-08-2015 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-08-2015 10:33 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  
(09-07-2015 02:44 PM)OWLmanz Wrote:  01-ncaabbs Thanks for your involvement and active participation, TIKI. Let me know if you need any help for "out-of-the-box" ideas; my specialty.

The Roost is much better in the new location. I spent the first 15 minutes of the game in the east upper deck, on the 50 yard line. There were maybe ten of us up there. After Rice's second touchdown we all left because the sun was terrible. You really can't sit over there unless you have a big umbrella. It's horrible.

Try doing that for the whole game, while playing an instrument. Early season afternoon games are murder on the student section / MOB side.
09-08-2015 02:38 PM
75src Offline
All American

It can be worse for the players on the field because there is no breeze at the bottom of the bowl. Wayne Riley, who played for Rice in the late 1960s, mentioned that when I commented that the Wagner players were not ready for the heat here. Wayne said his team mate, Leland Winston, was happy that a current player was wearing his number as a honor jersey.

(09-08-2015 02:38 PM)Klobasnek Wrote:  

Try doing that for the whole game, while playing an instrument. Early season afternoon games are murder on the student section / MOB side.
09-08-2015 03:58 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(09-08-2015 02:38 PM)Klobasnek Wrote:  

I hear you. That must really suck.
09-08-2015 04:21 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

(09-08-2015 01:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I'm thinking about starting a stickied thread. If you have comments that you want delivered to the administration, let's put them there. What do you guys think?

My suggestions, PLEASE do not engage in debate in that thread. I would attempt to be very aggressive in moderating that thread so that we don't digress from its purpose. Not censorship, as you can post comments elsewhere... but simply a single spot where 'good ideas' can be linked and quickly accessed by those who need to know. Even bad ideas can be presented... just not obviously trolling ones.

If a good idea comes from a thread, please link the thread and give a quick description... i.e. (using a poor and simple idea)
I'd like to see more beer at games.... here is a link to a thread where we discussed it. <link>

Thoughts?

Yes, I would like to see something of that nature.
09-08-2015 04:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.