Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mohajir on CCU, Expansion
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Mohajir on CCU, Expansion
Because we know you were curious.

On Coastal Carolina: Great School, Great location, outstanding facilities. Would be top 2 in the SBC in baseball right now, minor league quality baseball stadium. Mentioned Football Coach's ties to TD Ameritrade. Said what drew the attention of our chancellor was CCU's student base, of which 50 percent come from out of state. They apparently recruit a ton of students from the Northeastern US, and several SBC Presidents liked the idea of exposure to prospective viewers in that area of the country.

On Divisions: Divisions make Geographic sense, so App State finally has that travel partner they wanted.t Mentioned that he still didn't understand App's desire for a travel partner (He sees their basketball schedule as an advantage), but knows that App would probably challenge us to play Lone Wolf and see how we liked it, so things were worked it out.

On NMSU: Reiterated that Arkansas State still supports NMSU's admission for all sports, and that the Membership committee is "still vetting" the school. Logic continues to be, why are we taking NMSU's worst sport, when their best would gladly move here as well?

There was no mention of Eastern Kentucky.

The rest of the talk was typical AD speak as we try to sell what's left of Missouri Tickets
09-04-2015 01:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Dog Online
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
RE: Mohajir on CCU, Expansion
(09-04-2015 01:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  On Divisions: Divisions make Geographic sense, so App State finally has that travel partner they wanted.t Mentioned that he still didn't understand App's desire for a travel partner (He sees their basketball schedule as an advantage), but knows that App would probably challenge us to play Lone Wolf and see how we liked it, so things were worked it out.

Every opponent we play on Thursday doesn't have a Saturday game. Every Saturday opponent doesn't have a Thursday game. You might say that everyone else has to schedule their travel partner on the Monday or Tuesday before App weekend. The UL's, are playing one of their meetings in early December. The Arkansas's are playing the Monday after hosting App weekend the first time around. The Texas's are playing each other well after playing App both times.

Thankfully with Coastal, the schedule will now go down to 16 or 18 games, which should have been done this year. Volleyball went form 20 to 16 games because they thought 20 conference games was insane. And they managed to put together a sensible schedule for all 11 members while basketball didn't. 2014-15 was an insane hodge-podge schedule trying to give everyone equal travel, so they went to the other extreme and made the easiest schedule possible and not only put App on an island, but put every local rivalry game on a Monday or Tuesday except for the first ULL/ULM game, which is in early December.
09-04-2015 02:08 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Top 2 in baseball... yeah right.
09-04-2015 02:14 AM
Baldy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(09-04-2015 02:14 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  Top 2 in baseball... yeah right.

Their baseball is damn good.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 03:34 AM by Baldy.)
09-04-2015 03:34 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
looked em up. Impressive, but not top 2.
09-04-2015 04:16 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-04-2015 04:16 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  looked em up. Impressive, but not top 2.

I took it as recent history, which might be accurate.

Historically they're good as well with 13 NCAA regional appearances... But South Alabama has 25, Louisiana Lafayette has 15, and Georgia Southern has 13.

I'm just glad to have another good baseball team in the league. 04-cheers
09-04-2015 07:28 AM
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
I've always wondered about NMSU. I think adding them makes you a better conference. The rationale I saw for adding CCU...a good add, imo...was that it wasn't football driven. Why wouldn't that same logic apply to NMSU?
09-04-2015 08:55 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2015 07:28 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

I took it as recent history, which might be accurate.

Historically they're good as well with 13 NCAA regional appearances... But South Alabama has 25, Louisiana Lafayette has 15, and Georgia Southern has 13.

I'm just glad to have another good baseball team in the league. 04-cheers

They've been D1 since 1993 I believe, and 12 regionals and 2 super regionals since 1996.

I'd say that would qualify as 2nd best over the past 20 years.
09-04-2015 08:58 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

Maybe he feels that way because they have made the NCAA Tournament 12 of the last 15 years in baseball. Or maybe it is because their RPI ranking at #19 last season would have been the best in the Sun Belt. Or maybe it is because they got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament last season, something no Sun Belt school was able to do.
09-04-2015 09:08 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(09-04-2015 09:08 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Maybe he feels that way because they have made the NCAA Tournament 12 of the last 15 years in baseball. Or maybe it is because their RPI ranking at #19 last season would have been the best in the Sun Belt. Or maybe it is because they got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament last season, something no Sun Belt school was able to do.

Thanks. I thought I was going to have to get on here and preach the Coastal baseball gospel.

And by the way, last year was nowhere close to one of our best years, and we still got the at large bid.

Coastal has gotten to a place in baseball where we as fans are moderately disappointed if we aren't hosting a Regional in any given year.
09-04-2015 09:18 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
If you listened to Terry's interview , he specifically says "NMSU is still in the mix" to get into the conference. Very interesting wording I think
09-04-2015 09:32 AM
Advertisement

theultimateaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
where can one listen to this interview?
09-04-2015 09:44 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

09-04-2015 09:51 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(09-04-2015 08:55 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  I've always wondered about NMSU. I think adding them makes you a better conference. The rationale I saw for adding CCU...a good add, imo...was that it wasn't football driven. Why wouldn't that same logic apply to NMSU?

I think CCU was added as bang for the buck.

They have really good baseball, they have good basketball, overall good Olympic sports, (which I think overall is kind of a wash with NMSU), but they ALSO have football.

So getting to 12 in football was icing on the cake, and if I were to guess, that's what gave them the edge over NMSU. You could just to an even number across the board with CCU, while with NMSU, you'd still be one shy in football.

Personally, I don't think NMSU comes in (full membership) until Idaho leaves (or potentially joins... Krazy Karl could have something up his sleeve). If Idaho leaves, another full member in the west would be added with NMSU also coming in Olympic.
09-04-2015 09:52 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-04-2015 09:32 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  If you listened to Terry's interview , he specifically says "NMSU is still in the mix" to get into the conference. Very interesting wording I think

My gut feeling is yes they are int he mix but down the road. I think we renew both NMSU and Idaho for four more years to give UTA time to add football. Then when UTA adds football we lose Idaho plus Little Rock and add NMSU as a full member for 12/12:

East
App
CCU
GS
GSU
Troy
USA

West
ULL
ULM
stAte
UTA
NMSU
Texas St

This would be a very strong conference!
09-04-2015 09:54 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(09-04-2015 09:54 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 09:32 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  If you listened to Terry's interview , he specifically says "NMSU is still in the mix" to get into the conference. Very interesting wording I think

My gut feeling is yes they are int he mix but down the road. I think we renew both NMSU and Idaho for four more years to give UTA time to add football. Then when UTA adds football we lose Idaho plus Little Rock and add NMSU as a full member for 12/12:

East
App
CCU
GS
GSU
Troy
USA

West
ULL
ULM
stAte
UTA
NMSU
Texas St

This would be a very strong conference!

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 65.8 KB / Downloads: 40)
09-04-2015 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Online
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(09-04-2015 09:52 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Personally, I don't think NMSU comes in (full membership) until Idaho leaves (or potentially joins... Krazy Karl could have something up his sleeve). If Idaho leaves, another full member in the west would be added with NMSU also coming in Olympic.

This looks like a plan. And I'm really starting to hope that some schools might start opening up to Lamar if no one else in the west (UTA, MoSt...is that it at this point?) steps forward.

EDIT: If we go the CCU route again and target a school, Northern Arizona deserves a look.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 10:26 AM by Pounce FTW.)
09-04-2015 10:19 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised to add another eastern member along with NMSU shifting USA to the west when Idaho is released.
09-04-2015 10:24 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

Lamar certainly looks to be a capable future fbs program-however, I have read that texas state and lala administrations are against southland schools getting possible invites
09-04-2015 10:24 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2015 10:24 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Lamar certainly looks to be a capable future fbs program-however, I have read that texas state and lala administrations are against southland schools getting possible invites

Good news is a team only needs 9 votes, by adding CCU the SBC can now have three "no" votes and still add a team.
09-04-2015 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.