Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most important year for Temple football ever?
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Most important year for Temple football ever?
I am hearing that statement from several long time supporters. But then again I heard them make that same statement in the past.

But they may have a point this year. Temple will host both PSU and ND. It's been along time since we hosted two such powerhouses. College football in Philly generally isn't played at this high of a level.

Temple is also pondering a campus stadium. The team finally has a roster loaded with returning players.

So Temple could all in one year pack the stadium several times, beat a big name opponent and get a stadium approved. It's going to be one heck of a season.
09-01-2015 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

laser101 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Most important year for Temple football ever?
Temple is headed in the right direction, no doubt about it.
09-01-2015 09:29 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
I think this the most important sports year for Temple athletics during my fandom, starting in 2001.

There's more pressure on Dunphy and basketball to get back to the tournament than there is on Rhule/football. Going the first 3 years of AAC membership without a tournament appearance would be a major failure. Especially when you consider that we were historically terrible two years ago and failed to seize the opportunity in a so-so conference this past season.

Football needs to go at least 7-5/8-5 to keep the positive mojo going. I still think it's a tough schedule and the team is a year away. I'm not trying to be a downer but I somewhat anticipate an 0-2 start. And that's ok if we get the ball rolling against UMass. There's too many Temple football fans that are setting themselves up for disappointment given the first two games. I'm more interested to see where they are come October 31. I think our ceiling is probably 9-4 which would be awesome imo!
09-01-2015 09:45 PM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
If Temple gets to a bowl game then they had a good season.

If they make it to the AAC Championship game then I would call that a very good season.

AAC Championship game and a win over Penn State, I would call that an excellent season. A dream come true.

Win the AAC Championship and beat Penn State (I would call it a phenomenal season).

Note: A win over Penn State would edge out a win over Notre Dame in the local Philly sports fans minds. A win would help to open up the wallets of donors and also help Temple in recruiting.
09-02-2015 02:47 AM
Advertisement

penguino Offline
2nd String

I Root For: rutgers
(09-01-2015 09:22 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  I am hearing that statement from several long time supporters. But then again I heard them make that same statement in the past.

But they may have a point this year. Temple will host both PSU and ND. It's been along time since we hosted two such powerhouses. College football in Philly generally isn't played at this high of a level.

Temple is also pondering a campus stadium. The team finally has a roster loaded with returning players.

So Temple could all in one year pack the stadium several times, beat a big name opponent and get a stadium approved. It's going to be one heck of a season.

Building your on campus stadium might cause you some problems though. If you don't make it big enough, the "powerhouse" teams won't want to play you unless you move the game to the Linc . RU had this problem with the domers and our stadium held over 50k. So if you build it, it better be big enough, or you'll have to move your Marque games to the Linc, or just not play these games anymore.
09-02-2015 04:50 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(09-02-2015 04:50 AM)penguino Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 09:22 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  I am hearing that statement from several long time supporters. But then again I heard them make that same statement in the past.

Building your on campus stadium might cause you some problems though. If you don't make it big enough, the "powerhouse" teams won't want to play you unless you move the game to the Linc . RU had this problem with the domers and our stadium held over 50k. So if you build it, it better be big enough, or you'll have to move your Marque games to the Linc, or just not play these games anymore.

Obviously, if it required moving a game or two to the Linc, we'd do so. That's not a reason to not build one, and it's not a reason to build it bigger than we need it to be. We're trying to create a better atmosphere by making demand exceed supply. No reason to build a 50K seat stadium right now.
09-02-2015 04:29 PM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Being realistic, when I take a look at the teams that possibly could get picked up by say the AAC or Big Ten, Temple is way down the list. If the ACC needed two teams next year I could see them grabbing UConn and Cinc before Temple.

To me it doesn't make any sense to plot our future based on a call that could come from a bigger conference.

If we did move to a conference where the games drew a lot more than 30k, we could simply move the games to the Linc. These would have to be Penn State sized crowds. I can tell you that when we were in the conference with Miami, VaTech, BC, PItt, RU, WVU, that none of those games every sold out the 66k Vet Stadium or the Linc.

A 30k stadium would have been fine with those schools. Perhaps we would have a few sellout for say WVU or Rutgers, but what's wrong with that?

With inflation pushing Temple tix and parking up, I don't see us having big crowds for anyone but PSU or ND. Looking at our future schedule, we don't have any team on there that will break 40k.
09-02-2015 05:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.