Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho Vandal Student Newspaper Boycotts Football Team
Bookmark and Share
Fredo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Vandals
Link

Does this kind of crazy stuff happen anywhere else in the SunBelt?
09-01-2015 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bojo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Idaho Vandal Student Newspaper Boycotts Football Team
I would believe the answer you're looking for is: No.
09-01-2015 08:10 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
[Image: 326942.jpg]
09-01-2015 08:29 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2015 08:08 PM)Fredo Wrote:  Link

Does this kind of crazy stuff happen anywhere else in the SunBelt?

Not since Florida International left.
09-01-2015 08:32 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
Classic school newspaper. Nothing to see here.

The George-Anne at one time was doing similar 01-wingedeagle things. As a result the student body and fan base pretty much crapped on them for a year or two. They brought in a new administrative staff and the results are night and day. But no, I would say this is common for school newspapers.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 08:37 PM by trueblue21.)
09-01-2015 08:37 PM
JSinLR Offline
Special Teams

Petrino is a "unifier"!
09-01-2015 08:37 PM
Advertisement

DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
As long as they keep printing fresh copies y'all won't run out of toilet paper
09-01-2015 08:40 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2015 08:37 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  Classic school newspaper. Nothing to see here.

The George-Anne at one time was doing similar 01-wingedeagle things. As a result the student body and fan base pretty much crapped on them for a year or two. They brought in a new administrative staff and the results are night and day. But no, I would say this is common for school newspapers.

Hmmmm. And I was thinking the school newspaper was correct and Idaho's athletic department was behaving rather strangely. The AD was apparently blocking reporters on Twitter today 03-melodramatic
09-01-2015 08:42 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
As the holder of a journalism degree kudos to the school paper. The denied access game means they don't think the paper is a serious threat to have an opinion that will poss them off.

The paper took the professional route more power to them.
09-01-2015 09:11 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
The AD blocking reporters on Twitter is the act of a petulant, desperate man. He's going down with the sinking Petrino ship. Maybe angling for an assistant coaching job at Louisville next year?
09-01-2015 09:14 PM
HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
Time for Idaho to go. It would be worth it to have such an extreme geographical outlier if it was a legit program like NDSU or Montana. Definitely not worth it for a dumpster fire of a football program run by these clowns.
09-01-2015 09:25 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2015 09:11 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  As the holder of a journalism degree kudos to the school paper. The denied access game means they don't think the paper is a serious threat to have an opinion that will poss them off.

The paper took the professional route more power to them.

People have the wrong idea about sports journalists....even a lot of sports journalists. The student journalists at Idaho seem to have been taught properly.
09-01-2015 09:44 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Interesting or strange rules surrounding practice and the media's access are commonplace. The rest is not. This whole issue has been poorly managed by the AD.
09-01-2015 10:17 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2015 10:17 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Interesting or strange rules surrounding practice and the media's access are commonplace. The rest is not. This whole issue has been poorly managed by the AD.

Interesting or strange rules for all media is one thing.....restricting it to only "homer" media is another.
09-01-2015 10:48 PM
Mailleman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(09-01-2015 10:48 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 10:17 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Interesting or strange rules surrounding practice and the media's access are commonplace. The rest is not. This whole issue has been poorly managed by the AD.

Interesting or strange rules for all media is one thing.....restricting it to only "homer" media is another.

It's not necessarily a "homer" media thing, but two "reporters" who have worn out their welcome overall.

As I see it, a guy who paints every article he writes with "I wish I were covering MY school, WSU" gets banned from practice because he has such a feeble grasp of reality that he thinks a football coach was about to physically assault him (verified nonsense) and painted such a fantastical narrative in the paper. They also banned a guy who sucks so bad he can't get a job writing AT ALL and spends all his time tweeting about his Buffalo Wild Wings job. This prompts the student newspaper to write an article about THEMSELVES saying they won't cover practices either because of "solidarity" (which on the Palouse means "I drink with that guy from the bar!"). And also because if they didn't say it nobody would notice because their coverage of athletics has been wise-ass since I was a student.

With this level of incompetence I'd put up a SPAM filter too.. (Someone Posing As "Media")

That said, UI tried to ride the fence on this one because there are still good reporters out there who just want to cover football, but you just can't do that. You have to bite a bullet either way, and instead they tried to bite two.
09-02-2015 01:51 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
(09-02-2015 01:51 AM)Mailleman Wrote:  

It's not necessarily a "homer" media thing, but two "reporters" who have worn out their welcome overall.

As I see it, a guy who paints every article he writes with "I wish I were covering MY school, WSU" gets banned from practice because he has such a feeble grasp of reality that he thinks a football coach was about to physically assault him (verified nonsense) and painted such a fantastical narrative in the paper. They also banned a guy who sucks so bad he can't get a job writing AT ALL and spends all his time tweeting about his Buffalo Wild Wings job. This prompts the student newspaper to write an article about THEMSELVES saying they won't cover practices either because of "solidarity" (which on the Palouse means "I drink with that guy from the bar!"). And also because if they didn't say it nobody would notice because their coverage of athletics has been wise-ass since I was a student.

With this level of incompetence I'd put up a SPAM filter too.. (Someone Posing As "Media")

That said, UI tried to ride the fence on this one because there are still good reporters out there who just want to cover football, but you just can't do that. You have to bite a bullet either way, and instead they tried to bite two.

None of that matter when it comes to your local media. No matter how eye-rolling they may appear, you have to be accommodating to them. Even Nick Saban, who is worshiped in Alabama, has to accommodate the local media.
09-02-2015 01:56 AM
Advertisement

Mailleman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(09-02-2015 01:56 AM)T-Dog Wrote:  

None of that matter when it comes to your local media. No matter how eye-rolling they may appear, you have to be accommodating to them. Even Nick Saban, who is worshiped in Alabama, has to accommodate the local media.

LOL. Yeah, he accommodates them with comfortable chairs. Oh, and National Championships. "Local Media" now includes any half-ass who knows how to create a blog, or at least that's what the Media Solidarity Sheep believe. After that Alice-In-Wonderland piece how one man saved him from a Petrino physical assault, that reporter got the greatest twitter blowjob (aka the new 15 minutes of fame) I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, Petrino is one intense, hard-assed SOB (which Idaho needs). But if you think he'd punch you in the face over a blog post you need to stop reading the news...
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 02:18 AM by Mailleman.)
09-02-2015 02:07 AM
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
(09-02-2015 02:07 AM)Mailleman Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 01:56 AM)T-Dog Wrote:  

LOL. Yeah, he accommodates them with comfortable chairs. Oh, and National Championships. "Local Media" now includes any half-ass who knows how to create a blog, or at least that's what the Media Solidarity Sheep believe. After that Alice-In-Wonderland piece how one man saved him from a Petrino physical assault, that reporter got the greatest twitter blowjob (aka the new 15 minutes of fame) I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, Petrino is one intense, hard-assed SOB (which Idaho needs). But if you think he'd punch you in the face over a blog post you need to stop reading the news...

It would help if you didn't have an ass-clown as your coach.
09-02-2015 09:09 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

It's a Petrino thing-they can't help being arrogant, ignorant pricks
09-02-2015 09:35 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(09-02-2015 09:35 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  It's a Petrino thing-they can't help being arrogant, ignorant pricks

Yup.

I'm also a print journalist, 20-plus years in the business at smaller markets. I've covered everything from mass murders and car wrecks to middle school football championships, a lot of high school and college sports and more city council and county commission meetings than I care to remember. Lousy pay, long hours but there were perks like occasional free meals, sideline and pressbox passes and you get some interesting people on your speed dial.

I think student journalists still have ideals, and hence this solidarity or whatever it is, but at the end of the day it's always important for us to remember we're not supposed to be the story. Problem is, the lines between objective reporting and subjective opinion sharing are getting blurrier every day.

Always fun.
09-02-2015 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.