Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football stadium oddities
Bookmark and Share
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Football stadium oddities
I saw this over on another board and thought it'd be cool for us to do, too, and it'll get us all a little more pumped about being 'home' in a few short days.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...m-oddities

ESPN covered some oddities surrounding or within college football stadiums. For example, who knew that Boston College's Alumni Stadium was built on a reservoir and that a solid field goal could end up in the Atlantic?

Does your stadium have any oddities or fun facts?
08-28-2015 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Football stadium oddities
I don't know of another stadium below sea level than Cajun Field, whose playing field is two feet below sea level.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 04:55 PM by CajunAmos.)
08-28-2015 04:53 PM
Mailleman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
I'm assuming this is Idaho fans need not apply? lol
08-28-2015 07:44 PM
MobileBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: .
Quote:fun facts

48 members of the Pro Football of Fame have played at South Alabama's Ladd-Peebles Stadium since its construction in 1948, a number which undoubtedly ranks as one of the highest totals of any stadium in the nation that does not to serve as a longtime home field for an NFL franchise.
08-30-2015 02:54 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(08-30-2015 02:54 PM)MobileBama Wrote:  

48 members of the Pro Football of Fame have played at South Alabama's Ladd-Peebles Stadium since its construction in 1948, a number which undoubtedly ranks as one of the highest totals of any stadium in the nation that does not to serve as a longtime home field for an NFL franchise.

Most people don't know this about Ladd-Peebles stadium but it's build directly on the same ground Native American hunters once roamed.
08-30-2015 04:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trojan Possum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TROY
I think you could say that about just about all college stadiums. Native Americans were everywhere.
08-30-2015 04:46 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(08-30-2015 04:38 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(08-30-2015 02:54 PM)MobileBama Wrote:  

Most people don't know this about Ladd-Peebles stadium but it's build directly on the same ground Native American hunters once roamed.

Just today, I myself walked on the same ground Native American hunters once roamed . . . .
08-30-2015 05:16 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-30-2015 05:16 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Just today, I myself walked on the same ground Native American hunters once roamed . . . .

I have a jar of genuine Civil War dirt I can sell you.
08-30-2015 05:23 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(08-30-2015 05:23 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(08-30-2015 05:16 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Just today, I myself walked on the same ground Native American hunters once roamed . . . .

I have a jar of genuine Civil War dirt I can sell you.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
08-30-2015 05:26 PM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
One of the more unique things about Paulson Stadium is the "Field of Dreams". It's a mini football field where kids 12 and under can play flag football during the game.
[Image: B1RbGJ6IYAATZCi.jpg]

[Image: 289eeead955d7a348fcdf8ecfb7934a3.jpg]
08-30-2015 07:24 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-30-2015 07:24 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  One of the more unique things about Paulson Stadium is the "Field of Dreams". It's a mini football field where kids 12 and under can play flag football during the game.

that's new right? Really cool feature.
08-30-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-30-2015 08:40 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(08-30-2015 07:24 PM)sidslidkid Wrote:  One of the more unique things about Paulson Stadium is the "Field of Dreams". It's a mini football field where kids 12 and under can play flag football during the game.

Yes, last year was the first year.
08-30-2015 09:17 PM
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
(08-28-2015 04:53 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I don't know of another stadium below sea level than Cajun Field, whose playing field is two feet below sea level.

Yale claims to be below sea level as well.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc...story.html
08-30-2015 09:41 PM
JSinLR Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
Centennial Bank Stadium has the largest underground concrete pipes in America.

(Inside joke)?
08-30-2015 09:52 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern

It's new in terms of being a physical thing. Previously, kids were always playing pickup games there, but obviously with the new building there that was not gonna happen anymore. Our AD listened to the concerns of our fanbase (some of who were once one of the kids playing football down there) about losing that and added the Field of Dreams to the design of the new building. Now it's officially controlled as part of the Junior Eagle Club.

The JEC allows parents to drop off their kids in a monitored environment during the game. They receive matching bracelets so they're the only ones that can pick up their kids, and it's only like $20 for the whole season. Cheapest babysitter you'll ever find. They also do bouncy houses and stuff like that to the side of the building.
08-31-2015 06:26 AM
WhitetailWizard Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TROY
(08-28-2015 04:53 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I don't know of another stadium below sea level than Cajun Field, whose playing field is two feet below sea level.

but..but..but Gainesville plays in THE swamp so I thought they would be below sea level too......05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 07:00 AM by WhitetailWizard.)
08-31-2015 06:55 AM
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(08-31-2015 06:26 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

It's new in terms of being a physical thing. Previously, kids were always playing pickup games there, but obviously with the new building there that was not gonna happen anymore. Our AD listened to the concerns of our fanbase (some of who were once one of the kids playing football down there) about losing that and added the Field of Dreams to the design of the new building. Now it's officially controlled as part of the Junior Eagle Club.

The JEC allows parents to drop off their kids in a monitored environment during the game. They receive matching bracelets so they're the only ones that can pick up their kids, and it's only like $20 for the whole season. Cheapest babysitter you'll ever find. They also do bouncy houses and stuff like that to the side of the building.

We had some of the same at App until we started selling out the bank every game. I don't mean to go all social on you here and some of ya'll will say I'm an old curmudgeon, but we're there to watch the game. The idea of sending your kids off somewhere to play during it really kinda bugs me. Before and after the gameit's great, but not during. My son, once he was old enough, sat with his Mom & I the entire time. Even through the rain and cold he was right there cheering his heart out. We had plenty of time for fooling around during tailgating and such, but he knew we were there to watch the game. Have to wonder if a lot of parents even want to be bothered with their kids sometimes. I see them come into a restaurant, plop open a video player to entertain them and jump on their phones to check the latest on Facebook or whatever. Really sad. We never wanted a babysitter and always included our son in what we were doing. We are extremely close today because of it.
08-31-2015 07:18 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-31-2015 07:18 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 06:26 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

We had some of the same at App until we started selling out the bank every game. I don't mean to go all social on you here and some of ya'll will say I'm an old curmudgeon, but we're there to watch the game. The idea of sending your kids off somewhere to play during it really kinda bugs me. Before and after the gameit's great, but not during. My son, once he was old enough, sat with his Mom & I the entire time. Even through the rain and cold he was right there cheering his heart out. We had plenty of time for fooling around during tailgating and such, but he knew we were there to watch the game. Have to wonder if a lot of parents even want to be bothered with their kids sometimes. I see them come into a restaurant, plop open a video player to entertain them and jump on their phones to check the latest on Facebook or whatever. Really sad. We never wanted a babysitter and always included our son in what we were doing. We are extremely close today because of it.

The babysitter thing was a joke. I'm sure most of the kids out there have more fun playing with the other kids than they would be stuck in a seat watching a game that they might find hard to concentrate on. As they get older and can enjoy it, I would imagine they sit with their parents and watch the games. Also, they can see the game from down there as well.
08-31-2015 07:23 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
Legend has it that evidence linking a local family to a series of heinous crimes committed back in the early 1900's is buried under the field at Paulson Stadium. Ever since plans to replace the grass there with field turf in 2016 have recently come to light and it will surely be dug up and these crimes possibly exposed, a barefoot spectre has been seen haunting the stadium nightly--trying to scare people away and ensure that this conversion never happens! Or maybe this was an episode of Scooby-Doo I saw one time, I can't remember.
08-31-2015 08:59 AM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(08-31-2015 08:59 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  Legend has it that evidence linking a local family to a series of heinous crimes committed back in the early 1900's is buried under the field at Paulson Stadium. Ever since plans to replace the grass there with field turf in 2016 have recently come to light and it will surely be dug up and these crimes possibly exposed, a barefoot spectre has been seen haunting the stadium nightly--trying to scare people away and ensure that this conversion never happens! Or maybe this was an episode of Scooby-Doo I saw one time, I can't remember.

Somebody's had too many Scooby Snacks 03-phew03-phew03-phew
08-31-2015 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.