Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Orange Barrels and Ropes
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
Orange Barrels and Ropes
Well good folks its time for TU FB and things don't seem to have changed much. More road work (I-244) and more days with roped off "setback" land (along Harvard) not used for TU parking. It just seems like the city and the state have it out for TU sports. Its pretty obvious that there are forces at work behind the scenes that keep TU and TU sports from progressing. If this was an OU or OSU problem, how many of you think the state and city wouldn't jump through hoops to remedy these two glaring problems? TU sports brings millions of dollars of revenue to the city and state, yet TU gets very little help in return.

Remember when OSU played here a couple years ago and the setback was miraculously opened for them? And last year on the OU gameday, 11th was again "miraculously" blocked off and opened up to all those OU fans where venders "miraculously" appeared to sell their OU "gear"?

Yet, we can't even get the city to allow us to open up a temprorary parking area we ourselves own for a few event days a year!?

Sorry about the rant. But this always shows us where certain people who run the govt sit on progress in the midtown area.

Now i know there is very little we can do about I-244 at the moment, but the setback just burns me - not being able to use TU-owned land for gameday parking. It stinks! IMO
08-28-2015 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Orange Barrels and Ropes
What you are saying reminded me of what I just heard on the news here in Dallas........The Allen, TX football team will be playing at home for the first time in two years.....their new 60 million dollar stadium, which had some problems, will be open. The city did every things they could do to make that happen.......sounds a little different than Tulsa.......they are expecting 26,000 fans to the most expensive high school stadium in the country.......some colleges would die for a stadium like they have. I guarantee, the city is doing whatever it takes to keep all the fans happy!!!!
08-28-2015 06:30 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

Thanks for posting that. Isn't that stadium the one that had some kind of structural problems? If so has it been repared?

If "some" of the folks in our conference were to do a stadium tour of facilities in Texas and to a slightly lesser extent Oklahoma, they'd be mighty impressed at the kind of facilities these HS kids get to play in. I can't think of a single 6A high school in this part of the state that doesn't have a stadium at least as nice as most small colleges with artificial turf, multilevel press boxes (some with luxury suites) and even endzone facilities and video boards. One of the things PM liked about the city was the impessive facilites at Union HS when he came to Tulsa while an asst coach at Houston Univ. I think that first impression of the city helped sell him on TU.

IMO

BTW, even one of the oldest Tulsa High Schools, Will Rogers HS, has a full sized synthetic turf practice football field even though they don't have an on-campus stadium. Its pretty neat. If any of you haven't seen that, you might take a look since its just a few hundred yards from the TU campus.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2015 12:59 PM by rabidTU2.)
08-29-2015 11:23 AM
Advertisement

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

08-29-2015 12:33 PM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

BTW if you are coming for the TU game on Saturday afternoon sept 5th, you might want to come a day early and watch the Tulsa Union vs South Lake Carroll (Texas) High School game. Its at Union-Tuttle Stadium at 7:00pm Friday September 4th. The Union head coach is Kirk Fridrich an ex TU lineman who played in the John Cooper era. Lots of TU connections there.
08-29-2015 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.