Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AP: Gunner Kiel among dark horse Heisman candidates
Bookmark and Share
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
AP: Gunner Kiel among dark horse Heisman candidates
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../71303876/

"Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota broke a Heisman Trophy trend last season by winning the award after being considered the preseason favorite.

Heisman winners no longer need preseason hype — just ask Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston and Cam Newton who won it as first-time starters — and this season even the players considered the front-runners are not quite the household names that Mariota was going into his junior year.

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, Georgia running back Nick Chubb and USC quarterback Cody Kessler are the top of most odds-makers' lists. Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson and LSU running back Leonard Fournette are chic second-level picks.

But recent history suggests the Heisman winner will come from a down-the-ballot candidate.

Here are six:

GUNNER KIEL, QB, CINCINNATI: The Notre Dame transfer who flip-flopped a couple times as a recruit has settled in nicely with the Bearcats. He threw for 3,254 yards and 31 touchdowns last season and has all of his top targets back. It will be tough for a player from outside the Power Five conferences to win the Heisman, but Cincinnati's schedule is just good enough to get him into the conversation if the Bearcats can get to double-digits wins."

08-28-2015 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: AP: Gunner Kiel among dark horse Heisman candidates
For the love of god, can any writer on the planet refer to Gunner without calling him ND transfer and referring to his commit changes? He's going into his third season on the Bearcats. They act like he's the only player to ever switch commitments before signing day, and the only to transfer. He'll probably be in the NFL someday, and his bio will say " Former ND QB"

08-28-2015 11:34 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
^Yup

I fully expect to see him on TV during an NFL broadcast and under his name where is says School it will say:

College: ND Transfer

08-28-2015 01:02 PM
AZBCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I actually don't mind the references for the next year or so. Keeps in the mind of recruits (and Heisman voters for that matter) his pedigree and hopefully convinces some of them it's okay to skip the first step and just come to UC. As in, we must be doing something right to attract high profile transfers.

08-28-2015 01:15 PM
Advertisement

DSLAAR Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati
Almost every write up about an athlete regurgitates the same information over and over. We just happen to read ALL of them about our guys. No wonder it sounds so redundant!

08-28-2015 01:20 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
!

08-29-2015 07:17 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-29-2015 07:17 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  !

03-lmfao
!!!!!!!

08-29-2015 08:48 AM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

Idk there is plenty of past precedent for non power 5 guys winning the heisman. Although i think it's been awhile. Andre Ware and David Klingler come to mind.

08-29-2015 09:38 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

Wait a min Klingler was beat out by Ty Detmer- who was from BYU- so that just strengthens my point.

08-29-2015 09:41 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-29-2015 09:38 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Idk there is plenty of past precedent for non power 5 guys winning the heisman. Although i think it's been awhile. Andre Ware and David Klingler come to mind.

Houston was in the SWC with Texas, TA&M, Arkansas, etc at that time. This was before the concept of power conferences surfaced, but the SWC was respected as a heavyweight.

08-30-2015 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: AP: Gunner Kiel among dark horse Heisman candidates
(08-29-2015 09:38 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Idk there is plenty of past precedent for non power 5 guys winning the heisman. Although i think it's been awhile. Andre Ware and David Klingler come to mind.

Whatever happened before 2013 doesn't count in comparison. Hell, if you go back far enough, the Ivy's were the big players. P5 is a concept that is only 2 years old, making exclusion acceptable in the modern age.

08-30-2015 12:50 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

Yes thank u all for reminding me how old i am. That stuff happened back in the 80's. Guess it was like yesterday for me.

08-30-2015 03:11 PM
Bearcat85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: AP: Gunner Kiel among dark horse Heisman candidates
(08-30-2015 03:11 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Yes thank u all for reminding me how old i am. That stuff happened back in the 80's. Guess it was like yesterday for me.

I'm an early 80's guy myself. Just think the whole P5 mindset doesn't apply when looking back. I mean in 2009, we were a second away from playing a NC game, and now don't get a mention from the mainstream unless we have a ND transfer or our coach gets hoof in mouth disease.

08-30-2015 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.