UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So how Athletics friendly is ...
BlazerHam Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
So how Athletics friendly is ...
https://www.uab.edu/president/administration/marchase

Would President Marchase be a true collaborator with Haase & Clark?

:)

Just "hypothesisizing" .... ahem
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2015 08:58 PM by BlazerHam.)
08-26-2015 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: So how Athletics friendly is ...
The wrong Dick was hired as president.
08-26-2015 09:38 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

From what I've seen, Marchase is athletics friendly.
08-26-2015 10:22 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Probably so, but isn't he pushing 70? I always have liked him though. He would have been a lot better choice than Watts.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2015 10:38 PM by B'ham Blazer.)
08-26-2015 10:30 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Dr. Marchase is a great guy and I've seen him at athletics events, but honestly when the time comes it is time for UAB to get an outsider, someone with zero ties to UAB or the state of Alabama. No guarantee that it would be a home run hire, but there is just way too much internal turnover within UAB and the UA System.
08-26-2015 11:25 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(08-26-2015 11:25 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  Dr. Marchase is a great guy and I've seen him at athletics events, but honestly when the time comes it is time for UAB to get an outsider, someone with zero ties to UAB or the state of Alabama. No guarantee that it would be a home run hire, but there is just way too much internal turnover within UAB and the UA System.

While the "outsider" candidate is considered highly desirable by some, it has not proven to be a good idea many of the times it has been tried. The political parallel is to seek someone from "outside the Beltway" to be President. Two such who come to mind are Jimmy Carter in 1976 and Donald Trump today.

Our present UAB AD Ingram is someone from "away" and his work to date has not made many happy. While we avoid nepotism, we also have to wait for him to find out whose toes he can ignore and which ones are essential to protect. Look at the B'ham City Schools who have gone through many "away" superintendents since their first, Dr Wilmer Cody from VA, came in trying to "save" B'ham schools.
08-27-2015 12:50 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
what exactly is the price of tea in China?
08-27-2015 06:16 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(08-27-2015 06:16 AM)LairDweller Wrote:  what exactly is the price of tea in China?

$1.29/kilo, not reflecting recent yuan devaluations.

"I've seen him at athletics events" was said of Ray Watts, too.

We really do need an outsider, but I dread yet another hire with a "doctorate" in Higher Education Administration from the Tuscaloosa Diploma Farm.
08-27-2015 06:33 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The interesting question is how much will the next president be paid.
08-27-2015 06:36 AM
Advertisement

UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
Cornell, John Hopkins and Duke. Is that not "outside" enough?

Told he was on our side in May.
08-27-2015 07:58 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

While the BOT may be able to hire another Watts I don't believe we will be as blind next time as we were after the hiring.

We can make the next president stay in hiding just like Watts has to do for the most part if they get out of line.
08-27-2015 08:02 AM
TMcCarty Offline
Maximus Decimus Meridius

Folding@NCAAbbs
Re: RE: So how Athletics friendly is ...
(08-27-2015 08:02 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  While the BOT may be able to hire another Watts I don't believe we will be as blind next time as we were after the hiring.

We can make the next president stay in hiding just like Watts has to do for the most part if they get out of line.

People considering taking the job will know very well the goings on of the last year.
08-27-2015 08:25 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Marchase is certainly more personally engaging than Watts, but then, so is a bucket of dirt.
08-27-2015 08:26 PM
Advertisement

JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

(08-27-2015 08:26 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Marchase is certainly more personally engaging than Watts, but then, so is a bucket of dirt.

Ha, very true. Basically anyone who is not a sociopath or a megalomaniac would be an improvement.
08-27-2015 08:59 PM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

Man, it doesn't matter where the person is from. I just want someone that cares. I want someone that realizes kissing ass, polishing the status quo, and playing petty insider politics aren't and will never be the way to go about the job. I want the next president to come with some passion. And with a real vision, too. Not some grandiose, guarded plan that shifted us into reverse before the PR firms eve had a chance to lace official statements with stuff about UAB Forward.

These capital projects, both athletic and academic, have to get off the ground. I'm not talking about the common sense, 'oh, look, we approve so much for you guys' rubber stamping. There are going to be tough decisions looming and being able to successfully navigate while simultaneously moving closer and closer to things like AAU status, higher profile athletics, establishing stronger ties with the city, etc. is what makes a president deserving of that kind of pay.

Dr. Watts is so much of a failure in every regard that there should really be some kind of recognition for being one of the worst presidents ever. In fact, it should probably be an annual award from now on.
08-28-2015 12:12 AM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
(08-28-2015 12:12 AM)Hopeful Wrote:  Man, it doesn't matter where the person is from. I just want someone that cares. I want someone that realizes kissing ass, polishing the status quo, and playing petty insider politics aren't and will never be the way to go about the job. I want the next president to come with some passion. And with a real vision, too. Not some grandiose, guarded plan that shifted us into reverse before the PR firms eve had a chance to lace official statements with stuff about UAB Forward.

These capital projects, both athletic and academic, have to get off the ground. I'm not talking about the common sense, 'oh, look, we approve so much for you guys' rubber stamping. There are going to be tough decisions looming and being able to successfully navigate while simultaneously moving closer and closer to things like AAU status, higher profile athletics, establishing stronger ties with the city, etc. is what makes a president deserving of that kind of pay.

Dr. Watts is so much of a failure in every regard that there should really be some kind of recognition for being one of the worst presidents ever. In fact, it should probably be an annual award from now on.
Oh, there is, and hopefully will remain to be, longstanding recognition of dr ray L watts' contribution to UAB: "Fire Ray Watts" chants ad infinitum, akin to Auburn's "War Eagle' with every kickoff.
08-28-2015 12:52 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

Someone wrote something up above about the BOT hiring "another Watts". I'm having trouble imagining that there is another university president candidate who could be as bad a Watts. I some of you guys who been in the university atmosphere most of your lives might be able to think of someone, but I just can't see it.

I am sure that there are university administration types who have absolutely no integrity; there are folks like that in every profession. And I am sure there are administrators with absolutely no people skills; that's a given. I am also sure that there are those in every university who will do almost anything to climb anther rung on the career ladder. I also don't doubt that there are also those have risen to fairly high academic positions who are still capable of screwing up everything that they touch. And yes, I'll bet that you could even find all of those traits in a single person if you looked long and hard enough, but it would not be easy.

However, usually someone who has risen high enough be considered a candidate for the President's job at a prestigious university like UAB has a very sizable ego. I don't know if you could find anyone of that caliber who would let manipulators on the BOT put him in a position of being a public disgrace, ridiculed continually by local and national media, ostracized by his peers and his subordinates, heckled continuously by staff, students and alumni, the butt of countless jokes, and too afraid to walk around on his own campus even with a host of security guards. How hard would it be to stay in a job under all of those conditions and knowing that your wife is refusing to even go to the grocery store because she is too afraid or ashamed to be seen in public even though few people know what she looks like.

I don't think that the BOT will be able to find another Watts unless they clone him. Oh! Now that's a disturbing thought.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 10:24 PM by CajunBlazer.)
08-28-2015 10:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.