Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The Barclay's (Golf thread)
Bookmark and Share
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
The Barclay's (Golf thread)
Well, well, well, golf fans. The regular season is over and the PGA Tour four-week playoffs begin in a matter of hours starting with the Barclay's tournament in New Jersey.

One hundred and twenty five of the biggest names in the sport have qualified for the playoffs and the field will start to get smaller after each week.

However, this week's tournament at Plainfield will be missing two of the biggest stars in the game. Despite a valiant effort last week, the Big Cat didn't qualify. The Little Swoosh, on the other hand, qualified but is taking the week off. I am not sure if Rory is trying to protect his ankle by not playing this week, or if he just decided that because of the way the points are allocated, he just doesn't need to be there. Either way the high brass people at Barclay's as well as the folks at the PGA Head Quarters in Florida surely aren't happy about it. Sergio as well has qualified, but he is skipping this week.

The strange part about the FedEx Cup Playoffs is that the events seem to lose relevance the closer we get to the finish. With no football to contend with yet, the playoffs this week in the Garden State will probably have more viewers than the other three combined. That's because once football begins next week, even a Tiger Woods vs. Rory Mcilroy duel on the back nine of the final day would get squashed in the ratings by the game played on the Gridiron.

I've always had mixed feelings about the FedEx Cup. On the one hand, we are definitely getting great fields late in the season that we would not have gotten before the Playoffs began. (I am a golf degenerate. I am the type of guy who will be watching the final round of the McGladery tournament in October while flipping between NFL commercials.) But, on the other hand, the tradition of golf is that the Majors are so much more important than everything else. Once the final putt has made in the PGA Championship, golf in some ways doesn't start again until early April on Magnolia Lane. So, no matter how many commercials the Tour airs telling me that the FedEx Cup is the end all and be all, we all know it's really not true. Furthermore, the whole $10 million prize to the winner just feels hollow to me. Why should I care if a multi-millionaire golfer gets to add $10 million more to his bank account? I guess that is the only way to get them to play, but as a fan, it doesn't do much for me.

Anyways, the pick.

This week's winner will be Gary Woodland.

Take it to the bank!
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2015 07:13 PM by TIGERBANDIT.)
08-26-2015 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: The Barclay's (Golf thread)
I see Bubba Watson is doing well this week at the Barclays!.

Bubba is such an inigma......

Every couple of months he will show up and win ..........
08-27-2015 10:09 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Bubba is Phil, but with a major earlier in his career. Lefty with great talent that can bomb it but plays super risky. Sometimes the gamble pays off, sometimes it doesn't.
08-28-2015 12:09 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Bubba Watson is winning the tournament.

Jordan Spieth missed the cut and also lost his No. 1 ranking to Little Swoosh ...

OK Bye
08-28-2015 07:58 PM
Advertisement

TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Saturday is here, and we have a major run up the leader board. Mexican Carlos Ortiz has posted a round of 8-under par and is tied for the lead. I have never even heard of this guy, and he made the FedEx Cup Playoffs.

On another note, I was wrong about how great of a golfer Bubba Watson is. I thought his first Masters victory was sort of a fluke, but when he is having a good week he usually comes out with the trophy.

One time Bubba Watson and Steve Elkington got into an altercation, and at the end of it Elk told Bubba, "That in two years, you will be selling used cars."

Elk was definitely wrong. Love him or hate him, Bubba is a great golfer.
08-29-2015 12:06 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Congratulations to Jason Day for winning the Barclays. He is definitely playing the best golf in the world at this moment. Golf definitely seems like it is in a good place with Spieth, McIlroy and Day leading the charge.

Day now moves up to first place in the FedEx Cup standings.

The playoffs move to Boston this week for the Deutche Bank. Please note that this tournament starts on Friday and will have a Monday, Labor Day finish.
09-01-2015 06:38 AM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I really wanted to be a Bubba fan early on but I just don't seem to care for the dude. For whatever reason I get the impression that he is a jerk.
09-01-2015 11:16 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
(09-01-2015 11:16 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I really wanted to be a Bubba fan early on but I just don't seem to care for the dude. For whatever reason I get the impression that he is a jerk.

Your impression is right dude is a grade A douche bag
09-01-2015 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.