Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Quinton Flowers named starter for USF
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quinton Flowers named starter for USF
Just announced that Flowers will start vs FAMU on Sept 5th. I expect Bench will get plenty of playing time also.

Not surprised by the announcement.
08-24-2015 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Quinton Flowers named starter for USF
(08-24-2015 06:23 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Just announced that Flowers will start vs FAMU on Sept 5th. I expect Bench will get plenty of playing time also.

He is talented so good luck this season.
08-24-2015 06:54 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-24-2015 06:54 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  
(08-24-2015 06:23 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Just announced that Flowers will start vs FAMU on Sept 5th. I expect Bench will get plenty of playing time also.

He is talented so good luck this season.

Thanks. Will be determined on the field, just like any other QB you perform well you keep the spot, you don't it opens it up to the next guy.

I think he will do ok in this offense and with more experience. But that's my opinion
08-24-2015 06:58 PM
TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER

Who will start the 2nd quarter?07-coffee3
08-24-2015 07:17 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-24-2015 07:17 PM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  

Who will start the 2nd quarter?07-coffee3

We will be up 28-0 by then. So probably Steve Bench. Glad you asked. 03-lmfao
08-24-2015 07:46 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

bye bye tags
08-24-2015 08:05 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-24-2015 08:05 PM)No Bull Wrote:  

bye bye tags

LOL. Ok
08-24-2015 08:18 PM
knight-stick Offline
Water Engineer

USF has a stout defense and running game. Add in the rivalry factor and that Flowers will basically no longer be unseasoned...
Means the UCF/USF game is gonna be tough!
08-25-2015 07:17 AM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

(08-25-2015 07:17 AM)knight-stick Wrote:  USF has a stout defense and running game. Add in the rivalry factor and that Flowers will basically no longer be unseasoned...

And we are historically bad against mobile quarterbacks.
08-25-2015 07:27 AM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(08-25-2015 07:17 AM)knight-stick Wrote:  USF has a stout defense and running game. Add in the rivalry factor and that Flowers will basically no longer be unseasoned...

Given the time-slot of that game, the conference needs it to be a competitive game.
08-25-2015 07:49 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

Flowers was pretty bad last year I'm interested to see if he's improved at all. We know what bench is, just a not very good qb so agree with OP this announcement isn't too shocking. Flowers has more upside.
08-25-2015 08:19 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I like the move. I was in Flowers corner. He didn't really play a whole lot last year, so not sure we have an accurate assessment to go on yet.

He's very mobile and a playmaker on his feet. I'm hoping he's another Grothe or BJ Daniels. I'd settle for that right about now.

The offense should score a lot more points this year due to the up tempo spread.

Flowers is a work in progress, passing wise, but he has a lot of athletic ability and upside.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2015 09:01 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
08-25-2015 09:00 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2015 07:27 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  

Flowers will still have to throw the ball... and he is unable to to complete 50% of his passes.
08-25-2015 09:02 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2015 09:02 AM)No Bull Wrote:  

Flowers will still have to throw the ball... and he is unable to to complete 50% of his passes.

And you know this how? Off the whopping 20 passes he threw last year, completing 8, with the majority of those coming in a game where it was 30 degrees out, sleeting, and he was playing 1 day after his brother died. Oh ok, glad you can make that assessment from that.
08-25-2015 10:31 AM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

(08-25-2015 10:31 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

And you know this how? Off the whopping 20 passes he threw last year, completing 8, with the majority of those coming in a game where it was 30 degrees out, sleeting, and he was playing 1 day after his brother died. Oh ok, glad you can make that assessment from that.

Geez, could you have thrown any more excuses in there? Its not a big sample size but he still had a bad game. Any way you wanna spin it, going 8-20 with 2 interceptions and 0 touchdowns last year is still not good. Clearly last year he wasn't the best QB on the roster which is why he only threw 20 passes. That said, its a new year and a new offense and he will have his shot to prove himself or be replaced. A new offense can be good because it can be a better fit, but a new offense can also hurt because the entire team has to learn a new system including the young QB that doesn't have a lot of experience as it is. So he's coming in and you can throw what little experience he has out the window because he has never played a game in this offense before. It will be a new experience for him as well as the rest of the offense. My guess is that Flowers will be more effective on his feet and extending plays than picking defenses apart by reading defenses and making good throws this year. I personally think he will be decent, not great but not bad either. I bet he is going to give some teams fits with his scrambling ability and extending plays. Its really hard to cover a receiver tight for 5+ seconds
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2015 11:09 AM by zfred12.)
08-25-2015 11:01 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2015 11:01 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  

Geez, could you have thrown any more excuses in there? Its not a big sample size but he still had a bad game. Any way you wanna spin it, going 8-20 with 2 interceptions and 0 touchdowns last year is still not good. Clearly last year he wasn't the best QB on the roster which is why he only threw 20 passes. That said, its a new year and a new offense and he will have his shot to prove himself or be replaced. A new offense can be good because it can be a better fit, but a new offense can also hurt because the entire team has to learn a new system including the young QB that doesn't have a lot of experience as it is. So he's coming in and you can throw what little experience he has out the window because he has never played a game in this offense before. It will be a new experience for him as well as the rest of the offense. My guess is that Flowers will be more effective on his feet and extending plays than picking defenses apart by reading defenses and making good throws this year. I personally think he will be decent, not great but not bad either. I bet he is going to give some teams fits with his scrambling ability and extending plays. Its really hard to cover a receiver tight for 5+ seconds

while I agree with some of what you said, Flowers says this offense is very close to what he played in Miami in HS, where he passed for 6,000+ yards and rushed for 2,000+ yards. The offense we played last year was in no way similar to what he ran in HS.
08-25-2015 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

Wasn't tags brought in as an offensive guru?
08-25-2015 12:31 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-25-2015 12:31 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  Wasn't tags brought in as an offensive guru?

Nope. Even at WKU it was based on recruiting, defense and running.
08-25-2015 04:22 PM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

(08-25-2015 11:37 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(08-25-2015 11:01 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  
(08-25-2015 07:27 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  And we are historically bad against mobile quarterbacks.

while I agree with some of what you said, Flowers says this offense is very close to what he played in Miami in HS, where he passed for 6,000+ yards and rushed for 2,000+ yards. The offense we played last year was in no way similar to what he ran in HS.

I just don't think you can compare a high school offense playbook to a D1 college playbook. I'll give him credit for having high school level experience in a similar style offense, it shows that this type of offense may be able to highlight some of his strengths as a high school QB. I should have been more specific, he has 0 college level game experience in this offense. There are lots of examples of high school quarterbacks setting records in HS but it just doesn't translate to the next level at the QB position sometimes (Pete Dinovo for UCF who I think set records in the tampa area in high school is just the first one that comes to mind). The same can be said for the jump for QB's from college to pro (Tebow). That being said I think Flowers will have a good year and cause trouble for teams with his ability to scramble and extend plays. Taking care of the football and limiting turnovers will be very important for him, as it is for all QB's.
08-25-2015 04:29 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
The simlple fact is that nobody can say what this team will be. It is TOTALLY different. Both coordinators are new, the schemes on both sides are new and we have new players in important positions.

From what I have seen, Flowers is going to be a good QB. He reminds me very much of BJ Daniels. Hes actually a bit faster in his 40 time but Daniels had a better touch on the ball. With that said, Daniels Never had a running back like Mack. THe big questions is offensive line. If it is as much improved as as been reported, then some schools will have a rude awakening because Mack is gonna run all day if he gets light.
Once that happens, teams will have to account for him, which will open up a mobile QB to take off.

I like everything I have seen and can say I know were better than last year... but I still stick to a 6-6 season. The defense looks better and the offense is clicking, but like I said, everything is new and we will have some beginning of the season bumps to overcome.

The even better news is early reports are that Woulards appeal is looking good, which means we may have our pick of 4 star QBs to play. Both differrent styles but both bring alot to the game. I am feeling pretty confident at 6 wins and I think 7 is quite possible... the defense... its a beautiful thing to watch. Cant wait to see it in action.
08-25-2015 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.