Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC TV Contracts versus MW and CUSA
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Just curious. How does our AAC most recent TV contracts with ESPN and CBS Sports compare in dollars amounts per university and basketball,football and now baseball television exposure in comparison to CUSA and the Mountain West? When does the CUSA and Mountain West TV contracts expire and what are the estimated amounts projected for their renewal contract? If the CUSA TV renewal contract comes in lower than the previous one, will the AAC teams that recently departed CUSA to the AAC such as East Carolina,Tulsa and Tulane have to subsidize the difference? If so for how long? Three years?
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 04:05 AM by Savacool.)
08-24-2015 03:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blackcattitude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Blocktavious
RE: AAC TV Contracts versus MW and CUSA
AAC: ESPN/CBS Sports, 7 years, $126 million, ends in 2019-20 note: $45.3 mill in the last year of the Real Big East
MWC: ESPN/CBS Sports, _ years, $118 million, ends in 2019-20 note: their deal is unevenly split, Boise made 3.7 mill last year and UNLV zilch
C-USA: Fox/ESPN/CBS Sports/the American Sports Network (????), $14 mill in 2015-16 and all three expire at the end of the season
MAC: ESPN, 10 years, $100million, ends in 2026-27. notable because this is the first deal since the P5/G5 split
08-24-2015 04:39 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I'm very interested to see how the next C-USA deal looks.
08-24-2015 07:46 AM
VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

Looks like CUSA will take a dive based on the current membership. Their current TV deal was based on teams like ECU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, etc. All gone now.

I see the American going up with the addition of Navy and the good TV ratings our league has experienced.

The MWC will probably have some membership issues especially with the revenue favoring Boise St. Will be interesting to see if they drop or stay even.

I believe the American stands the best chance to go up.

Just my thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 08:08 AM by VirginiaPirate.)
08-24-2015 07:59 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
SMU wants the $6,000,000 we have in escrow with CUSA back so we hope their contract stays same or gets better
08-24-2015 08:08 AM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
(08-24-2015 04:39 AM)blackcattitude Wrote:  AAC: ESPN/CBS Sports, 7 years, $126 million, ends in 2019-20 note: $45.3 mill in the last year of the Real Big East
MWC: ESPN/CBS Sports, _ years, $118 million, ends in 2019-20 note: their deal is unevenly split, Boise made 3.7 mill last year and UNLV zilch
C-USA: Fox/ESPN/CBS Sports/the American Sports Network (????), $14 mill in 2015-16 and all three expire at the end of the season
MAC: ESPN, 10 years, $100million, ends in 2026-27. notable because this is the first deal since the P5/G5 split

UNLV did not make zero TV money. They didn't get any bonus money.
08-24-2015 08:20 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(08-24-2015 08:08 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  SMU wants the $6,000,000 we have in escrow with CUSA back so we hope their contract stays same or gets better

it wasn't anywhere close to 6mil

c-usa wanted 6mil but got nowhere near that amount...it was between 1.5 to 2 mil
08-24-2015 08:50 AM
Pony94 Offline

Well that makes me feel better as our former AD said 6 million. I still would like any of the money set aside back.
08-24-2015 08:59 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(08-24-2015 08:59 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Well that makes me feel better as our former AD said 6 million. I still would like any of the money set aside back.

yeah c-usa asked for 6 from each team but it was heavily negotiated down by everyone ...memphis was confirmed at 1.7 mil..

the total pot according to their old commish for houston, smu, ucf and memphis was around 6.5 mil
08-24-2015 09:04 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-24-2015 09:04 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(08-24-2015 08:59 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Well that makes me feel better as our former AD said 6 million. I still would like any of the money set aside back.

yeah c-usa asked for 6 from each team but it was heavily negotiated down by everyone ...memphis was confirmed at 1.7 mil..

the total pot according to their old commish for houston, smu, ucf and memphis was around 6.5 mil

Didn't founding members ie. Memphis and Tulane have to pay less?
08-24-2015 09:07 AM
Pony94 Offline

Memphis got out by waiving their NCAA tourney credits and I believe Tulane was around $500,000. Correct me Pesik.
08-24-2015 09:10 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(08-24-2015 09:07 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(08-24-2015 09:04 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Didn't founding members ie. Memphis and Tulane have to pay less?

first time hearing of that..i know memphis was refunded the 1.7 mil tho but i heard it had more to do with the fact memphis carried c-usa in basketball
08-24-2015 09:11 AM
Attackcoog Offline

CUSA bylaws say that NCAA credits can be used to offset exit fee costs. I don't think Memphis had to pay much (in fact, they may have had no costs at all) due to all the NCAA credits they had stacked up. UH also benefitted slightly from this.

There is no special exit fee for founding members (Houston was also a founding member). That's an internet myth.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 09:28 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-24-2015 09:26 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

ECU shouldn't owe more than a few cents since we have no market. 03-razz
08-24-2015 10:34 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-24-2015 07:59 AM)VirginiaPirate Wrote:  Looks like CUSA will take a dive based on the current membership. Their current TV deal was based on teams like ECU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, etc. All gone now.

I see the American going up with the addition of Navy and the good TV ratings our league has experienced.

The MWC will probably have some membership issues especially with the revenue favoring Boise St. Will be interesting to see if they drop or stay even.

Just my thoughts.
The networks had the ability to change the payout after membership changed. They kept it where it was at.

CUSA lost ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa after that, but realistically, ECU was the only one with ratings big enough to make me think it'd change this time around.

I think CUSA stays right where it is, but gets locked into a ****** 8 year contract.
08-24-2015 11:34 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(08-24-2015 11:34 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(08-24-2015 07:59 AM)VirginiaPirate Wrote:  Looks like CUSA will take a dive based on the current membership. Their current TV deal was based on teams like ECU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, etc. All gone now.

Just my thoughts.
The networks had the ability to change the payout after membership changed. They kept it where it was at.

CUSA lost ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa after that, but realistically, ECU was the only one with ratings big enough to make me think it'd change this time around.

I think CUSA stays right where it is, but gets locked into a ****** 8 year contract.

Basically the c-USA turned into a mix of c-Usa, sunbelt, and fcs schools. Look at tv deals bases on membership like sunbelt. CBS wouldn't even air c-Usa basketball games they paid for and purchased AAC games from ESPN. Think about hoops side is near worthless and football side is close to sunbelt pay. I think $500k per team is probably the top.
08-24-2015 01:39 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

Just my thoughts.

whatt they paid us is chump change..it might not have been worth it to get lawyers involved for what was 4 years left on a contract especially when the landscape was unstable and a new renegotiations might have been needed again

the big east deal was let run out similar to c-usa...but we still decreased from 3.4 to 2mil per when the new deal was signed

i think the fact that cbssports has dramatically decreased the amount of games picked up is more telling

when the houston, ucf, ecu were in c-usa...every mediocre team or better had 6-9 games on mostly cbssports and maybe fsn ..and everyone got a respectable amount of games....

with the new lineup on the same contract...everyone in c-usa is doing 6-9 games on ASN a channel that basically get your content for free

just an opinion, i doubt they pay the same price for something they want less of
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 02:04 PM by pesik.)
08-24-2015 02:00 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(08-24-2015 02:00 PM)pesik Wrote:  

Just my thoughts.

whatt they paid us is chump change..it might not have been worth it to get lawyers involved for what was 4 years left on a contract especially when the landscape was unstable and a new renegotiations might have been needed again

the big east deal was let run out similar to c-usa...but we still decreased from 3.4 to 2mil per when the new deal was signed

i think the fact that cbssports has dramatically decreased the amount of games picked up is more telling

when the houston, ucf, ecu were in c-usa...every mediocre team or better had 6-9 games on mostly cbssports and maybe fsn ..and everyone got a respectable amount of games....

with the new lineup on the same contract...everyone in c-usa is doing 6-9 games on ASN a channel that basically get your content for free

just an opinion, i doubt they pay the same price for something they want less of

1) tv companis are getting hit with cord cutting
2) they are not even broadcasting many c-usa games that are available in inventory. Basketball is almost non existent. Are they going to pay up to broadcast nothing?
3) they lost key players that could gather higher ratings

I think the c-USA is in for a shock. $300-$500k tops unless they would be willing to add more Tuesday and Wednesday games.
08-24-2015 03:56 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I just don't see it falling much, if at all. The mac is getting 800k per year per school. That conference had a ton of overlapping markets.

It may take more weeknight games like you say, but I simply don't see it going below the MAC deal. I think 800k is pretty much the new floor for FBS football.

The SBC isn't really a good comparison because they're on an old deal. I expect to see the mac, cusa, the SBC on pretty equal footing tv revenue wise once all conferences have new contracts.
08-24-2015 06:56 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(08-24-2015 06:56 PM)Niner National Wrote:  I just don't see it falling much, if at all. The mac is getting 800k per year per school. That conference had a ton of overlapping markets.

It may take more weeknight games like you say, but I simply don't see it going below the MAC deal. I think 800k is pretty much the new floor for FBS football.

The SBC isn't really a good comparison because they're on an old deal. I expect to see the mac, cusa, the SBC on pretty equal footing tv revenue wise once all conferences have new contracts.

the mac was making 1mil as a conference before their last deal...it went to 800k per because the mac was willing to sell their soul and move most of their conference games to tuesday and wednesday...

you cant look at conference strength alone..but what they are giving the networks..the mac was willing to sacrifice Saturdays and put their games were there are no live sports ...those tuesday maction games draw 600k viewers a piece on espn2 ..that is value

if c-usa was willing to do that fs1 i wouldn't be shocked to see them make 1.5mil-2mill a piece

so comparing your value straight up to the mac makes no sense ...its only makes sense if you are willing to make the sacrifices they are

if saturday and the occasional weekday (thursday & friday) is all c-usa is willing to do to preserve attendance (ticket sales) and fan support less than 800k isnt unlikely

but i think a good season this year could go a long way in your contact
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 07:41 PM by pesik.)
08-24-2015 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.