ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Tight End lost for season - Adam Swann
ODUcatcher79 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Another blow to the run game. Very disappointing for the kid. Here's Harry's article.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/odu-lose...broken-leg
08-21-2015 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

RE: Another Tight End lost for season - Adam Swann
WTF!?!?!
08-21-2015 10:39 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Between Redskins and ODU I'm hurting in the TE department.
08-21-2015 10:43 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

With the certified lack of depth that we have, and they're running practice 3 hours a session? Freaking unbelievable. That's all I'll say. Too many kid's are getting hurt, Wilder has to do something.
08-22-2015 10:05 AM
ODUAlumni2015 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU, Penn State
Signs of a more effective defense? Only offense players are getting hurt. If that's the case they need to save that power for EMU, NSU, NCSU and MU.
08-22-2015 10:12 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

Don't get me wrong, I love Coach wilder. He was exactly what this team needed to start a brand new football team. He's an excellent salesman. But when kids are getting hurt..and I mean seriously injured, in practice for Gods sake... the parents of future recruits hear about it. He needs to tone it down a bit or we may not have much of a team travelling to EMU. What is the injury rate of the other teams in our conference? Not as high as ours I'll bet.
08-22-2015 10:24 AM
Advertisement

DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
Calm your jets. Football is a collision sport, not contact, and injuries happen. We only have had two serious injuries during camp unfortunately they are both to TEs.

Calling out the coach is a bit overboard.
08-22-2015 10:27 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(08-22-2015 10:27 AM)DWING Wrote:  Calm your jets. Football is a collision sport, not contact, and injuries happen. We only have had two serious injuries during camp unfortunately they are both to TEs.

Totally agree.
08-22-2015 10:31 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(08-22-2015 10:27 AM)DWING Wrote:  Calm your jets. Football is a collision sport, not contact, and injuries happen. We only have had two serious injuries during camp unfortunately they are both to TEs.

I don't think it's a bit overboard at all!! It would appear to me that he (and by he I mean Coach Wilder) has a serious problem with the way he runs practice. Small wonder they don't allow Monarch Nation to attend football practices. The fact of the matter is these injuries change our entire game plan for this season...next man up...yeah right, there's nobody left for Gods sake and the season hasn't even begun.
08-22-2015 10:37 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

No -- it's way overboard. This is football. It happens. It's random. Sometimes it's worse than other times, so, in my opinion, it's just not right to go throwing Wilder under the bus.
08-22-2015 10:47 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2015 10:37 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  

I don't think it's a bit overboard at all!! It would appear to me that he (and by he I mean Coach Wilder) has a serious problem with the way he runs practice. Small wonder they don't allow Monarch Nation to attend football practices. The fact of the matter is these injuries change our entire game plan for this season...next man up...yeah right, there's nobody left for Gods sake and the season hasn't even begun.

Really? C'mon man. Get a grip. It's preseason. This is when you find out what you have. The man has been coaching for something like 25 years -- and very successfully. How long have you been coaching?
08-22-2015 10:53 AM
Advertisement

Old Blue Offline
1st String

(08-22-2015 10:47 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

No -- it's way overboard. This is football. It happens. It's random. Sometimes it's worse than other times, so, in my opinion, it's just not right to go throwing Wilder under the bus.

Well when exactly is it the right time to throw Wilder under the bus? When he does another failed onside kick?. Or maybe another failed fourth down and " go for it attempt" that gives the opposing team excellent field position. Or maybe were supposed to be fanboys no matter what? Like I say "he's an excellent salesman".
08-22-2015 10:55 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

Vaugn's injury was a torn acl. When an athlete of his size is going at a good rate of speed and turns his body, if his foot doesn't move to accomodate the stress that can happen. That happens to football players in practice sessions as well as during games. It's an unfortunate reality. As for Swan's broken leg; I have not read of the exact circumstances of that particular injury, therefore I can't comment on it.

The coach has to get the team prepared to play real games and they can't be ramped up slowly. They must go at it relatively hard. The NCAA has already changed the nature of practices to the extent that they are unrecognizable as compared to years past. Some of those changes were necessary, and some were probably overreactions.

My point here is that BW isn't doing anything in his practice sessions that is out of the norm compared to other FBS programs. I can say that with confidence because there are very strict NCAA safety guidelines, and believe me, whether or not the public is privy to a team's practices, they are held accountable to those guidelines.

I have read or heard nothing in any format regarding unusaully long or unsafe practices being staged by Bobby Wilder and his staff. With that, I call BS on your allegation!
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 11:07 AM by paintedblue2.)
08-22-2015 11:00 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(08-22-2015 10:55 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(08-22-2015 10:47 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

Well when exactly is it the right time to throw Wilder under the bus? When he does another failed onside kick?. Or maybe another failed fourth down and " go for it attempt" that gives the opposing team excellent field position. Or maybe were supposed to be fanboys no matter what? Like I say "he's an excellent salesman".

So far it is nowhere near the right time to throw Coach Wilder under the bus. Im glad he is a great salesman and coach. I was a salesman myself.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 11:02 AM by odu83alumni.)
08-22-2015 11:01 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(08-22-2015 10:53 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

Really? C'mon man. Get a grip. It's preseason. This is when you find out what you have. The man has been coaching for something like 25 years -- and very successfully. How long have you been coaching?

Old Dominion University is his very first head coaching job.
08-22-2015 11:02 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(08-22-2015 11:02 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(08-22-2015 10:53 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

Old Dominion University is his very first head coaching job.
Does anybody remember, just before the La Tech game last year, a decision was made to limit in practice the amount of "tackling to the ground" for the defense? Guess what, it worked our defense was much fresher and it showed for the last three games. We are one of the youngest teams in all of FBS. That youth should be accounted for!! That's all I'm saying. Let me give a sort of analogy, in a time of war you save your army and ammunition for the actual fighting... you don't kill everybody in training!!! I am going to go full retard here.. Often I don't agree with the decisions of Coach Wilder...There I said it, and I stand by it.
08-22-2015 11:24 AM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

As a fan of ODU football, you should be well aware of how the Monarchs have fared under Bobby Wilder. In case you have forgotten, I will remind you. Under Bobby Wilder's six-year leadership, ODU has crafted the fourth winningest record in the NCAA at .722. He has never had a losing record. He won the CAA in his second year in the conference after coming in second in his first year. Under his leadership, the Monarchs made the FCS playoffs in the only two years they were eligible to do so. In their first year in C-USA, the Monarchs won six games and were bowl eligible (in terms of wins), when most were predicting two or three wins at most. His driving philosophy is "Aim High", which is reflected in the Monarchs approach in all facets of the program. He recruits on a guiding principle of "Good Person, Good Student, Good Player" -- in that order, and runs a program of the highest character based on all available information I have seen.

Injuries happen. Failed on-sides kicks happen. Failed fourth-down attempts happen. None of those are reasons to seriously question a coach that runs a exemplary program and does it with a .722 winning percentage. You should count your lucky stars that Bobby Wilder was the man chosen to lead ODU in football. I honestly do not believe a better coach could have been chosen. For you to post a serious question regarding his coaching abilities over two preseason injuries is frankly incomprehensible.

Now, regarding your question -- if you seriously do not know when it is time to throw Bobby Wilder under the bus, just stand by. If that time ever gets here (and I doubt it does), I will be one of the first to let you know.
08-22-2015 11:42 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

And, by the way, of course I have not always agreed with every decision he has made in the course of a game, but from my perspective, he has earned our respect, and he will continue to get respect from me.
08-22-2015 11:47 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(08-22-2015 11:42 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  As a fan of ODU football, you should be well aware of how the Monarchs have fared under Bobby Wilder. In case you have forgotten, I will remind you. Under Bobby Wilder's six-year leadership, ODU has crafted the fourth winningest record in the NCAA at .722. He has never had a losing record. He won the CAA in his second year in the conference after coming in second in his first year. Under his leadership, the Monarchs made the FCS playoffs in the only two years they were eligible to do so. In their first year in C-USA, the Monarchs won six games and were bowl eligible (in terms of wins), when most were predicting two or three wins at most. His driving philosophy is "Aim High", which is reflected in the Monarchs approach in all facets of the program. He recruits on a guiding principle of "Good Person, Good Student, Good Player" -- in that order, and runs a program of the highest character based on all available information I have seen.

Injuries happen. Failed on-sides kicks happen. Failed fourth-down attempts happen. None of those are reasons to seriously question a coach that runs a exemplary program and does it with a .722 winning percentage. You should count your lucky stars that Bobby Wilder was the man chosen to lead ODU in football. I honestly do not believe a better coach could have been chosen. For you to post a serious question regarding his coaching abilities over two preseason injuries is frankly incomprehensible.

Now, regarding your question -- if you seriously do not know when it is time to throw Bobby Wilder under the bus, just stand by. If that time ever gets here (and I doubt it does), I will be one of the first to let you know.
We have a freshman red shirt quarterback starting this this year!! No more Taylor Hienicke to save our asses!! The tight end position for this year is crucial to the success of the team. You would think Coach Wilder would realize this... am I right? Sure we have a great winning percentage, against the Campbells, North Carolina Centrals, Vmi's and Savannah States of the world. But Honestly were playing 85 scholarship "big boy football" now. Past records in the CAA do not matter.
08-22-2015 12:05 PM
ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

I'll just assume that Old Blue isn't serious.
08-22-2015 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.