Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

91.7 update
Owl75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
New Orleans Bowl
91.7 update
Heard on the radio today that the U of H regents had voted to sell the radio station they bought for $9.5 million and go all digital (ie online) for the classical music currently broadcast on the station.

Wonder if it will go for more or less than they paid?
08-21-2015 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vegas Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Rice Owls

New Orleans BowlDonators
RE: 91.7 update
(08-21-2015 09:09 PM)Owl75 Wrote:  Heard on the radio today that the U of H regents had voted to sell the radio station they bought for $9.5 million and go all digital (ie online) for the classical music currently broadcast on the station.

I don't think they have a buyer lined up yet...
08-21-2015 09:13 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
91.7 update
I bid two dollar to start
08-21-2015 09:28 PM
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
The radio stations in this town are trash. This is what happens when a monopoly (Clear Channel) has full control of radio. There are maybe 3 stations left that I would listen to here. Anyone sad day today.
08-21-2015 09:32 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-21-2015 09:32 PM)seniorowl Wrote:  The radio stations in this town are trash. This is what happens when a monopoly (Clear Channel) has full control of radio. There are maybe 3 stations left that I would listen to here. Anyone sad day today.

I've been in Kansas City for work recently and can't believe how much better the stations up here are. For such a small city, the fact that there is actually some variety is mind boggling when I compare that to the crap that is Houston's radio.
08-22-2015 07:49 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(08-22-2015 07:49 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-21-2015 09:32 PM)seniorowl Wrote:  The radio stations in this town are trash. This is what happens when a monopoly (Clear Channel) has full control of radio. There are maybe 3 stations left that I would listen to here. Anyone sad day today.

I've been in Kansas City for work recently and can't believe how much better the stations up here are. For such a small city, the fact that there is actually some variety is mind boggling when I compare that to the crap that is Houston's radio.

I've been in West Texas between Midland and Lubbock and it's the same thing. Way betterselection and quality. And I dont event listen to country...
08-22-2015 08:14 AM
Advertisement

seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
San Diego had great stations. Same with any city in the Hill Country.
08-22-2015 09:23 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-21-2015 09:09 PM)Owl75 Wrote:  Heard on the radio today that the U of H regents had voted to sell the radio station they bought for $9.5 million and go all digital (ie online) for the classical music currently broadcast on the station.

Meanwhile, KTRU is back on the air as an HD broadcast at 90.1
http://ktru.org/ktru-hd-radio
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 09:27 AM by georgewebb.)
08-22-2015 09:26 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Ironic. As much as I am for free markets, it seems past time that antitrust laws were applied to break up the monopolies in media (radio, tv, cable, internet (google, amazon, ebay), etc...). The music industry was destroyed not just by the internet and free stealing of intellectual property, but by the overconsolidation in the industry (concert promoters used to be independents, venues, booking, etc... now all controlled by 2 or 3 mega-conglomerates nationally. Used to be able to make a living at writing good music. Not anymore.

Anyone know when is the last time anti-trust laws were used against anything major in the US? Last I remember it was when they broke up AT&T.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 03:12 PM by GoodOwl.)
08-22-2015 03:11 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(08-22-2015 03:11 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Anyone know when is the last time anti-trust laws were used against anything major in the US? Last I remember it was when they broke up AT&T.

I don't know about forced breakups - nothing much comes to mind.

But the FTC just nixed a merger of the top 2 nationwide food distributors (Sysco and US Foods), as it didn't show enough benefits to overcome the loss of competition. Maybe not huge like AT&T, and there are lots of smaller competitors in those areas, but stopping the 2 biggest from merging in any market is potentially important.

http://nrn.com/mergers-acquisitions/sysc...r-us-foods

And there have been "nixed" deals in the airlines and cable/media area.
08-22-2015 09:42 PM
75src Offline
All American

I agree so I usually play CDs or songs from my phone instead. The CDs are usually audio books or Teaching Company courses. I will listen to the radio when I visit my sister in Austin.

I get tired of the talk radio on AM. KPFT has a few good shows such as the Irish music program but I do not like their political programs. KUHF is repeating the same BBC news over and over but I like Science Friday. Although I like classical music, I did not bother much with 91.7 because they picked what would elevator music in the 18th Century if they had elevators. I can pick up better music when I receive the Corpus Christi public station either directly or by their Victoria repeater.

It would be bad if it becomes a religious station because the ones we have and probably will bet are those pitched to get the money needed. Just about all of them are about the least advanced views of just one branch of one religion. Even worst are the programs with prosperity or seed faith teaching since it is more like a cargo cult than anything Christ taught.

08-24-2015 02:18 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2015 02:18 PM)75src Wrote:  I agree so I usually play CDs or songs from my phone instead. The CDs are usually audio books or Teaching Company courses. I will listen to the radio when I visit my sister in Austin.

I get tired of the talk radio on AM. KPFT has a few good shows such as the Irish music program but I do not like their political programs. KUHF is repeating the same BBC news over and over but I like Science Friday. Although I like classical music, I did not bother much with 91.7 because they picked what would elevator music in the 18th Century if they had elevators. I can pick up better music when I receive the Corpus Christi public station either directly or by their Victoria repeater.

It would be bad if it becomes a religious station because the ones we have and probably will bet are those pitched to get the money needed. Just about all of them are about the least advanced views of just one branch of one religion. Even worst are the programs with prosperity or seed faith teaching since it is more like a cargo cult than anything Christ taught.

I predict Osteen will buy it cheap and it will be his Flagship Station once he terminates his XM Agreement
08-24-2015 07:44 PM
75src Offline
All American

Name it and claim it.

(08-24-2015 07:44 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(08-24-2015 02:18 PM)75src Wrote:  I agree so I usually play CDs or songs from my phone instead. The CDs are usually audio books or Teaching Company courses. I will listen to the radio when I visit my sister in Austin.

I predict Osteen will buy it cheap and it will be his Flagship Station once he terminates his XM Agreement
08-24-2015 07:52 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
KGOD is already taken. I suspect the likely call. This could be fun to screw with Brother DBag.
08-24-2015 08:14 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
KBUXS perhaps.
08-24-2015 11:05 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
We're on the wrong side of the Mississippi River, but WAHH is available for any whiners out there.
08-25-2015 12:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
WWJD?
08-25-2015 08:54 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2015 08:54 AM)13thOwl Wrote:  WWJD?

Already taken, and its frequency is... 91.7!
08-25-2015 09:02 AM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
04-jawdrop WOW! Got my first HD radio in a new car and the reception is astounding! I hear sounds on cuts that I have never heard even on CD! Very impressive. 04-jawdrop
08-25-2015 04:42 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I swear I thought this article was from the Onion...
http://www.chron.com/opinion/outlook/art...467405.php
08-27-2015 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.