Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU AD: P5 Football Only invite not a viable option
f1do Online
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
Exclamation BYU AD: P5 Football Only invite not a viable option
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2856317-155...scheduling

Quote:Asked to assess BYU's chances of getting into the Big 12 or another Power 5 conference, Holmoe said he "really can't comment on that," except to say that "the barriers, the objections, I have read them all" and that BYU is "doing everything we can to put our [student-athletes] in position to compete at the highest levels, because that's what BYU athletes deserve."

He said joining a conference in football only and leaving the other sports in the WCC "is [not] a viable option in this environment, for the time being."

Interesting stuff--I've not heard him come out and say this that way. Makes me wonder if that is because he doesn't want it or P5 conference don't want it. Or both.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 06:09 PM by f1do.)
08-19-2015 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: BYU AD: P5 Football Only invite not a viable option
I wonder if it might be that the WCC doesn't want it.
08-19-2015 06:23 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
BYU AD: P5 Football Only invite not a viable option
They don't play football in the WCC
08-19-2015 06:30 PM
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
The WCC has benefited greatly from BYU's membership. I doubt the conference would have any objections to this.
08-19-2015 06:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
With the extra money that BYU would be getting from the Big 12, the WCC wouldn't want it. Also you have the FCOA issues.
08-19-2015 06:36 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Ok then. Good luck. No Big 12 for BYU football.
08-19-2015 06:36 PM
Advertisement

Okielite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys
He's opening the door to joining MW possibly?

Seems like there was an article I saw recently that indicated such. Why not join the MW with a sweetheart deal even better than what Boise got? Get your sports much more exposure and likely give the MW a resume boost it needed after losing Utah. Probably make as much or more $ than they currently do.

Might have been told by the Big 12 it was not likely they would be added so BYU decided to jump to the MW to save face before the Big 12 expands which would have indicated they were passed over, again. So essentially make it look like a choice when in reality they had no real options aside from indy/WCC.
08-19-2015 06:39 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The AD said no football only in a power conference for the time being.

BYU is in a tough spot. Its football program is something that could thrive in a Big East level football conference but not in a modern power conference.

The old WAC before the expansion to 16 in the 90's was a perfect fit for BYU. The front range schools, UTEP, Utah, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii all together in one conference. Many programs that had a major feel to them as far as facilities and attendance.

New MWC without Utah and UTEP and with SJSU/Utah St is watered down.

I wish the WAC survived with Idaho, SJSU, Utah St, NMSU, Texas St, Ark State. ULL, ULM and possibly a western upgrade or 2 over the SBC surviving. That is just not how history ended up playing out.
08-19-2015 06:45 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
When they join the AAC, they wont have to worry about any of this.
08-19-2015 06:45 PM
f1do Online
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
I don't think they could afford to rejoin the MWC--at least within the next 4-5 years--for these reasons:
- Buyouts of all their future independent schedule--some games have outs in them but that is for joining a new or existing league with a certain number of "P5 teams" in them. The rest is money out of your pocket. BYU has 11 games in 2016, 12 in 2017, 10 in 2018, 9 in 2019, 8 in 2020 so its not like they can't fill their schedule at least for several more years.
- ESPN contract pays much more than a share of the MWC money would. So no chance of this until at least 2018 (ESPN has option for 2019 as well) when their contract is up for renewal.
- Loss of prestige--the ACC/SEC/B1G count BYU games as P5 for their scheduling guidelines--if they went to a G5 conference, no way those continue to count and scheduling P5 teams--especially H/H--becomes tougher in the future.

Though in the article originally linked Holmoe does say he would "never say never" to joining the MWC again. I just don't see any benefit (saving face, ease of scheduling, etc.) of doing so outweighing the drawbacks compared to independence. Joining a P5 conference on the other hand certainly makes life better than as an independent.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2015 06:52 PM by f1do.)
08-19-2015 06:50 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 06:39 PM)Okielite Wrote:  He's opening the door to joining MW possibly?

Seems like there was an article I saw recently that indicated such. Why not join the MW with a sweetheart deal even better than what Boise got? Get your sports much more exposure and likely give the MW a resume boost it needed after losing Utah. Probably make as much or more $ than they currently do.

The move to go independent was predicated on a few assumptions.

1) That BYU would regularly perform at a Top 20 level on the new TV contract.

2) That the status quo of the the BCS system would continue. The polls would be the determinant and not as much SOS. BYU would have a legit shot at a national championship.

Events unfolded differently from 2010 to 2014. The summer of 2012 was when the new post season format was announced and with the Big East on the outside that football conference fell apart. By 2014 a new governance structure was forced that defined the PAC, SEC, B1G, B12, ACC as autonomy conferences with the MWC, CUSA, AAC, SBC, MAC all on the next tier.

There may be an issue with stipends in the WCC outside of basketball that has BYU concerned. Factors they couldn't anticipate at the time of independence.
08-19-2015 07:03 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 06:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  When they join the AAC, they wont have to worry about any of this.

Could BYU package deal with Colorado State to the AAC?

The MWC then offers UTEP, UTSA, Rice in an effort to get back into the Texas big. UTEP probably would not agree to it by themselves, IMO.
08-19-2015 07:07 PM
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

(08-19-2015 06:50 PM)f1do Wrote:  I don't think they could afford to rejoin the MWC--at least within the next 4-5 years--for these reasons:
- Buyouts of all their future independent schedule--some games have outs in them but that is for joining a new or existing league with a certain number of "P5 teams" in them. The rest is money out of your pocket. BYU has 11 games in 2016, 12 in 2017, 10 in 2018, 9 in 2019, 8 in 2020 so its not like they can't fill their schedule at least for several more years.
- ESPN contract pays much more than a share of the MWC money would. So no chance of this until at least 2018 (ESPN has option for 2019 as well) when their contract is up for renewal.
- Loss of prestige--the ACC/SEC/B1G count BYU games as P5 for their scheduling guidelines--if they went to a G5 conference, no way those continue to count and scheduling P5 teams--especially H/H--becomes tougher in the future.

Though in the article originally linked Holmoe does say he would "never say never" to joining the MWC again. I just don't see any benefit (saving face, ease of scheduling, etc.) of doing so outweighing the drawbacks compared to independence. Joining a P5 conference on the other hand certainly makes life better than as an independent.
They would not receive an equal share in the MW. They would have a separate TV deal like Boise.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...oise-state

So now we can add better exposure for non FB sports and a similar paycheck to the list of reasons they might do this.

Losing Utah and getting BYU is not a bad deal at all for the MW. Bigger, better, more history, etc.. I think this really helps everyone in the MW as well as BYU. They can be the king of the MW. Now they just need to add SMU as well so they can try to repeat the success TCU had in the MW.
08-19-2015 07:09 PM
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(08-19-2015 06:36 PM)stever20 Wrote:  With the extra money that BYU would be getting from the Big 12, the WCC wouldn't want it. Also you have the FCOA issues.

I believe all the WCC schools will provide FCOA. BYU has almost twice as many students enrolled as Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and Pepperdine put together (the #1, #3 and #4 basketball teams in '14-'15) but the presidents and ADs knew that before they were accepted. There are concerns to be sure, I just don't see them as crippling for the WCC members.

BYU has yet to win a WCC championship in basketball.
08-19-2015 07:17 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(08-19-2015 07:07 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 06:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  When they join the AAC, they wont have to worry about any of this.

The MWC then offers UTEP, UTSA, Rice in an effort to get back into the Texas big. UTEP probably would not agree to it by themselves, IMO.

Think 20 schools, four divisions of five that are geographic in nature.
08-19-2015 07:29 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2015 07:29 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

I'm not seeing that.

What I'm seeing is Boise would be comfortable returning to the Pacific division. In order to do that the MWC would have to pick up 2 Texas schools (or 3 Texas schools if Colorado State was to leave).

SMU I can't see heading to the MWC under any circumstances. The quality of the academic schools and the long term potential of the football conference should keep them in the AAC.
08-19-2015 08:05 PM
Advertisement

Okielite Offline
Special Teams

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/8/19/9...ntain-west

Relations have warmed between BYU and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, and while a return is not in BYU's plan, their AD Tom Homoe did not flat out say no to returning to the conference.
08-19-2015 08:15 PM
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

(08-19-2015 08:05 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I'm not seeing that.

What I'm seeing is Boise would be comfortable returning to the Pacific division. In order to do that the MWC would have to pick up 2 Texas schools (or 3 Texas schools if Colorado State was to leave).

SMU I can't see heading to the MWC under any circumstances. The quality of the academic schools and the long term potential of the football conference should keep them in the AAC.

I hope you are joking. MW is much more stable of a conference and SMU does not have to look far to see a school who took MW success and turned it into a P-5 invite.
08-19-2015 08:18 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(08-19-2015 08:18 PM)Okielite Wrote:  
(08-19-2015 08:05 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I'm not seeing that.

I hope you are joking. MW is much more stable of a conference and SMU does not have to look far to see a school who took MW success and turned it into a P-5 invite.

How is the MW much more stable? Unlike the AAC, Most of the teams are unhappy with the uneven television payout. Like the AAC, the top part of the league is looking for a life boat out of the conference including Boise.
08-19-2015 08:25 PM
He1nousOne Offline

Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
San Diego State
Fresno State

At that level, that is the most valuable programs in the West that will not be in a Power Conference. Those five will defect from the MWC after new divisional rules happen and they will join the AMERICAN Athletic Conference as a five team division within it.
08-19-2015 08:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.